Shaq or Bust? Playoff Hopes now pinned on 39 year old Shaq.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonnnyrotten. Show jonnnyrotten's posts

Shaq or Bust? Playoff Hopes now pinned on 39 year old Shaq.

In playoffs the Celtics will need 20 minute from Shaq and 15 from JON.  Celtic training staff says this is only a mild calf strain.  Oh btw this is just above the strained Achilles that was injured and kept Shaq out most of the season.  Now the question is will this keep re occurring and nobody knows because the dude is a hair below 40 yrs. old.  Remember on Friday night Celtics got out rebounded 52-38 by the HAWKS!  Dominated by Horford 15 rebounds and Pachulia 10 are you kidding me!?!?  No Shaq and a few minutes of JON and now Ainge is telling Boston faithful that trading Perk makes this team better??  Please Celtic management is banking on a 400 lbs. 39+ yr old Shaq and an injury plagued JON for their board game!  Heads should roll for rolling the dice on this if Celtics don't make it to the Finals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Shaq or Bust? Playoff Hopes now pinned on 39 year old Shaq.

jonnnyrotten, the Celtics HAD to make the business decision to trade Perkins.  He would have walked this offseason and the Celtics would have gotten absolutely NOTHING in return.  It was the best "business" decision that could have been made.

I don't think heads will roll if the Celtics don't make it to the Finals.  I do agree with you that the Celtics took a gamble but that gamble was made last offseason by picking up the O'Neals.  We put too much faith in their ability to stay on the court and contribute, something neither has been able to do for a full season for awhile now.

If the Celtics could get 20 minutes from Shaq and 15 from JON during the playoffs, we'd be lucky.  I have this sinking feeling that JON might be called upon to carry more of a load than Shaq.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonnnyrotten. Show jonnnyrotten's posts

Pete, can you agree that the time is now to win a NBA Finals?  If Celtics had Perkins, both Shaq and JON would not have been asked to come back until playoffs.  Reason being they would just be considered role players.  Right now the only thing Celtics have for Perk trade is Green and he is not a big.  Playoffs series are won with solid bigs and tough defense.  Ask fans if they want solid chance for playoff run or a fringe player in Green, soft center in Krstic  and a future draft slot.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

my hunch is that the Cs are less concerned w/ shaq yesterday than we are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

jonnnyrotten, I agree that the time to win the NBA title is now.  And we are capable of winning that title with our current roster.  Perk was just as much a "role" player as Shaq and JON and even Krstic are, in your words.

However, both O'Neals bring so much more to the table than does Perkins.  Both are "decent" defenders and are head and shoulders better offensively, as is Krstic.

We have been the league's top defensive team for the entire season so I think overall we'll be ok once the playoffs start when we "SHOULD" have our full compliment of bigs.

BaileyPowe, I sure hope you are right but I cannot imagine why the Cs would be less concerned about Shaq that we are.  This guy has consistently been out of the lineup and, the minute (5 minutes) he steps on the court, he's injured and out again?  I cannot imagine the Cs NOT having a level of concern just as high especially this close to the playoffs.

The Cs did not put Shaq back on the court yesterday expecting "this" injury to occur so I have to believe there are some anxious and concerned people within the organization.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Interesting comments from Chris Mannix on Comcast, channel 52 last night.  He doesn't believe that trading Perkins was a good idea.  I also understand that Bill Simmons was on WEEI.  He also said trading Perkins was a bad idea.  Two Celtics supporters that are from Boston.  I believe that if Marquis wasn't injured this trade never would have happened. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq or Bust? Playoff Hopes now pinned on 39 year old Shaq.:
    [QUOTE]jonnnyrotten, I agree that the time to win the NBA title is now.  And we are capable of winning that title with our current roster.  Perk was just as much a "role" player as Shaq and JON and even Krstic are, in your words. However, both O'Neals bring so much more to the table than does Perkins.  Both are "decent" defenders and are head and shoulders better offensively, as is Krstic. We have been the league's top defensive team for the entire season so I think overall we'll be ok once the playoffs start when we "SHOULD" have our full compliment of bigs. BaileyPowe, I sure hope you are right but I cannot imagine why the Cs would be less concerned about Shaq that we are.  This guy has consistently been out of the lineup and, the minute (5 minutes) he steps on the court, he's injured and out again?  I cannot imagine the Cs NOT having a level of concern just as high especially this close to the playoffs. The Cs did not put Shaq back on the court yesterday expecting "this" injury to occur so I have to believe there are some anxious and concerned people within the organization.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

There's just no way anybody is not concerned with the Shaq situation. I highly doubt he'll be able to play 20 minutes in even every other game in the playoffs.
    But boy, I'd love to be wrong!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medvegasguy. Show medvegasguy's posts

There's too many little issues with this team.  I can't see all our walking wounded making it all the way through the playoffs, and there are some strong, athletic, physical teams to play.  If we stay in the 3rd seed, which seems likely, we'll have likely road playoff series against the Heat, the Bulls, and the Western Conference champs.  I don't see them getting through it all. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I posted this elsewhere under NCAA stats show me we need Shaq & Jon to win # 18. It seemed logical to me to copy & paste it here too.

I would guess that most of New England rooted for Connecticut but not having a more direct affiliation with the teams, I like to root for underdogs. But it verified something that Barkley said in an early game a week or so back. Given the choice of having domination from a team in its backcourt or under the paint,  he would choose the key/hoop area.

Connecticut outscored Butler by an unthinkable 26-2 in the paint, + 24.  Yet Butler made 9 threes and the UConns only one for 27-3 or +24. Amazing, and I do realize that Butler broke a record for a miserable shooting % of .188% and only got 14 more points in addition to the 3s. I'm not professing to be Sherlock Holmes here but the difference was in rebounds which was 53 UConn to 41. Conn didn't have terrific shooting either with .345% but with 12 extra rebounds it explains a bit the dominance in the paint & the 24 more points made under the hoop.

My whole point with this is that, God Willing,  Shaq's injury is not serious and JON too gets back into a good playing routine. WE CAN'T DEPEND UPON OUTSIDE SHOOTING ONLY TO WIN BANNER #18.  RECALL, AND I HATE TO BRING UP OLD WOUNDS, BUT RAY ALLEN BROKE THE 3 POINT RECORD WITH 7 IN 1ST HALF & 8 FOR 11(73%) TOTAL GAME # 2 PLAYOFFS.  BUT IN GAME 7 HE WAS ICY WITH 2 OF 9 I THINK.  JUST 3 OR 4 OF 9 AND WE MIGHT HAVE WON DESPITE BEING ROBBED WITH DISPARITY IN FOUL SHOTS.  BUT KEY TOO WAS THAT LA ONLY SHOOTING 32% AND THEIR GUY WHO WALKS ON WATER, KOBE, SHOT A PATHETIC 25% (6-24), GOT EXTRA CHANCES & GASOL, BYNUM, KOBE, FISHER & ARTEST ETC. ARE NOT GOING TO MISS 2-3 IN A ROW.

I BELIEVE WE CAN STILL WIN THE EAST IF SHAQ DOES NOT RETURN TO US & I DO NOT WISH THIS UPON THE LAKER TEAM---I DISLIKE ANYONE WHO WISHES INJURY ON AN OPPONENT TEAM'S PLAYERS & I HATE THE LAKERS, BUT IF BYNUM & GASOL ARE RETURNING HEALTHY, WE COULD HAVE 'Déjà vu'
    Being out rebounded !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

If we don't win the title, it will be a HUGE letdown. Some posters mention that we had to trade Perk or he would've walked...so be it. Let's win the title first, if he walks, we'll just have to rebuild at the 5 in the offseason.

I'd rather let Perk leave after we win #18, than make a trade late in the season and destroy the team's chemistry. We're not scaring anyone, and our defense is not as good as it was. We look like an average team, and we lost our championship swagger.

Some may not agree, but Danny Ainge will be blamed HEAVILY if we don't win it all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting comments from Chris Mannix on Comcast, channel 52 last night.  He doesn't believe that trading Perkins was a good idea.  I also understand that Bill Simmons was on WEEI.  He also said trading Perkins was a bad idea.  Two Celtics supporters that are from Boston.  I believe that if Marquis wasn't injured this trade never would have happened. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Simmons said that the Celtics should have tried to pry Grant Hill from the Suns for cheap and keep Perkins.  This idea makes me want to bang my head into the desk because the Celtics are now soft.

Like Tempur-pedic soft.  If you put a glass of wine on one end of the bench and jumped up and down on the other end, the glass wouldn't tip over.

And injury prone.

I would have kept Perkins and the chemistry he provided, and the defense he provided, rather than trading for offensive assets that will never have time to mesh before the postseason, even AFTER the Marquis injury.  But that's just me.  Jeff Green is a nice building block for a rebuilding team, but the imminent lockout and KG's potential retirement means that this is it: ALL OR NOTHING.  NOW.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq or Bust? Playoff Hopes now pinned on 39 year old Shaq. : Simmons said that the Celtics should have tried to pry Grant Hill from the Suns for cheap and keep Perkins.  This idea makes me want to bang my head into the desk because the Celtics are now soft. Like Tempur-pedic soft.  If you put a glass of wine on one end of the bench and jumped up and down on the other end, the glass wouldn't tip over. And injury prone. I would have kept Perkins and the chemistry he provided, and the defense he provided, rather than trading for offensive assets that will never have time to mesh before the postseason, even AFTER the Marquis injury.  But that's just me.  Jeff Green is a nice building block for a rebuilding team, but the imminent lockout and KG's potential retirement means that this is it: ALL OR NOTHING.  NOW .
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I agree with Simmons assessment.  I have posted several times that even with the injury to Marquis, I thought it was a mistake to trade Perk.  We just needed to trade for someone to replace Marquis and just trade Nate, etc to get a replacement for Marquis. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I sure hope you are all wrong.  DA is not a fool and you have all forgotten how Perk did not make this team whole.  He was a liability on offense period. He was a poor offensive rebounder let alone if he got one was so slow he could not put back shots.

He was tough on defense but Fiercest points out he was never even in the game the second half of the fourth quarter.  

Perkins was also injury prone.  He was hurt in both our finals appearances.  I still don't know what was right, but Doc did sign off on this thing as difficult as it was emotionally for him to part with Perk.  That tells you all you need to know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

When Danny Ainge traded away the Celtics starting center Kendrick Perkins, he defended it by claiming how well Shaq O'Neal HAD played in the C's first 43 games (33-10) and just last week on WEEI defended the move by saying, "With Shaq, it was the best offense and defensive we"ve played in four years."

Now, whether or not this statement is true, who knows, but the bottom line is Danny Ainge was/is certainly putting all his EGG'S in one-basket with Shaquile O'Neal.

When Shaq O'Neal got hurt AGAIN in his first game back, (Even though the Celtics are claiming it's minor, per usual) it became clearly obvious there is no such thing as a "healthy Shaquille O'Neal," and that the right thing to do, was to keep the Celtics' starting-5 intact for one more year and let them take their chances with that group, since they had "never lost together."

Instead the Celtics have put their faith in a "oft-injured." 39-year old, who weighs over 350 lbs. A risky move and a "HUGE GAMBLE," to say the least.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

I'm still not sure what Celtics fans don't get that Perkins was leaving. Who is to say he stays healthy for Oklahoma City? Who says we would have won the title with Perkins. Just because he missed game 7and we shot our way out of a title. It had nothing to do with Perkins? We got two more than serviceable guys. Marquis Daniels never did anything for this team. Nate provided some spark in the playoffs last year but who would you rather have now Nate or Delonte? I still say going in this year we have a deeper, more productive bench. Those who keep making the point about Big Baby playing the last 5 minutes of games are correct. Ainge had to make a decision and I think he made the right one going forward. Who would have thought we would have made the run last year? I think we are much better poised to do it if Shaq comes back at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I'm sorry we got robbed in Game # 7 last year with the tremendous disparity in foul shots but discussing this further is a mute point and opening old wounds.  One of the reasons given for so many fouls was that we were tired and grabbing. The big 3 won 2 years before but in 2010 they were 2 years older. I'm hoping that 2010 was not their last hurrah. But now they are even one more year older so I would not have traded Perkins. Keep in mind we did not trade him because we acquired JON first & then Shaq. We got them because Perk was injured and recovering. So, we could have kept ALL THREE !!! Jeff Green fine for the future but with big 3 now 3 years older that when we won, this was the year to go after # 18 with Perkins and we wouldn't have been so desperate worrying about the health of Shaq. Deal with Perk's contract after the title & if he left or we wished him to leave, start our rebuilding program & maybe go after Jeff Green for 2012. How many more productive years do you think we have from the Big 3.

OK, not to beat a dead horse, we also lost Game #7 not only because of disparity in fouls but we were out rebounded and without Perk and only lost by 4 points.

Amen

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

[QUOTE]I sure hope you are all wrong.  DA is not a fool and you have all forgotten how Perk did not make this team whole.  He was a liability on offense period. He was a poor offensive rebounder let alone if he got one was so slow he could not put back shots. He was tough on defense but Fiercest points out he was never even in the game the second half of the fourth quarter.   Perkins was also injury prone.  He was hurt in both our finals appearances.  I still don't know what was right, but Doc did sign off on this thing as difficult as it was emotionally for him to part with Perk.  That tells you all you need to know.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I think Doc Rivers was kind of strong-armed by Danny Ainge when it came down to the Kendrick Perkins deal. Since Doc has so much respect for Ainge , he understood the deal made sense especially for the future of the C's organization, because Perk was going to leave after the season for nothing, thus Ainge had a valid point and the final say, and the deal was made. But, there is no way Doc was truly "all-in" with the Perk deal, because he just recently made the comment to Yahoo Sports that it was a huge gamble, for the Celtics to win a title this year with the services of the oft-injured Shaq, and that doesn't sound like a guy who wanted to deal his starting-center, rather a great coach who understands the business side of the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Mandobello,

Good points and I definitely agree with you about not trading Perk until after the season ends.  We are all aware that Perk probably would have left after the season ends.  The Celtics would have acquired someone else for the center position next year if Perk left.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

interesting link. It shows the Plus/Minus stats of the Celtics with every lineup. We are,

plus 19 with the big four and Shaq on the court.  
    Plus 15 with the big four and baby. 
    plus 11 with the big four and Perk
    Plus 7 with the big four and JO (I'm hoping this one improves due to the knee being the best it has been all year)
    plus 1 with the big four and krystic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonnnyrotten. Show jonnnyrotten's posts

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that if Shaq does not play in post season, the Celtics chances are doomed.  Case and point is look at that last Bulls game and how they waxed the Celtics on the boards 44-35!  Rose driving down the middle of the lane at will!  I'm sick and tired of hearing this notion that trading Perk was a business decision.  Are you kidding me and winning a championship is not?  If the Celtics do not make it to the Finals, serious changes have to be made in management somewhere along the line.  I can't wait to hear, "just wait, we'll be there!"  Times running out and this revamped unit still has not got there act together.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonnnyrotten. Show jonnnyrotten's posts

Wow, another lackadaisical game where the Celtics were out rebounded by the Heat by 42-26 and the Heat has no legitimate center!  Krstic 1 rebound and 2 points are you kidding me?  A healthy Shaq better walk through that door in the second round of playoffs where the Celtics will have to steal one on the road in order to win that series. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I am not so sure Shaq is the answer.  This team has so many issues that it's crazy to think that one player, Shaq, can solve many of them.  Shaq cannot make Rondo play with more passion.  Shaq cannot get Ray to regain his touch.

Shaq cannot get Green, Krstic, Baby and Delonte to play with more confidence.

And honestly, I am not even sure Shaq can hold up for the playoffs.