Shaq: Right Calf Muscle Strain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Shaq: Right Calf Muscle Strain

In Response to Re: Shaq: Right Calf Muscle Strain:
    [QUOTE]The calf muscle attaches to the achilles. This doesn't sound good. Shaq's problem is the tendon that attaches both and it heals slowly. There is no magical cure. His injury today is related to his foot problem. Calling it a strain doesn't say much and it's a way of reassuring both Shaq & the public. I hope I'm entirely wrong. I want the Celtics to be completely healthy so that excuses can't be used. But a 39 yr old 300 lb. plus behemoth running up and down the floor is jeopradizing the man's health. A hamstring pull is similar. The achilles is just lower on the leg. It sounds like nothing but what happens as a person ages, the body's ability to go full throttle is compromised. Your mind might will it but your body won't respond like it used to. And Shaq's weight only adds to his fragility.
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

It was the opposite leg from the one his achilles injury was on genius.

It's called overcompensating on one leg b/c the other was in a boot and you are just getting used to doing strenous excersize with it in a real game situation.

Agree he is old and weighs too much... but this is a minor set-back for a guy they were too cautious with. From what we saw in those 5 mins he could have played 1-2 weeks ago. Maybe not 16-18 mins a game. but 8-10.

We'd have asked for 3 minute spurts 3x a game. Nothing more. Doc should not have him play 5+ straight mins even before this calf sprain. Now we prob have to wait till the playoffs to see thos 10-12 min spurts and the finals to see him play 18+ mins.

but I wouldn't put it past him coming back next Sunday vs. Miami if the 2 seed is on the line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]these calf strains take like 1-2 weeks to completely heal. His foot, the real injury, will be 100% by then. Shaq better spend this week in the pool and then get in a few practices running hard before deciding to just pop back into games. shaq didn't play the final month of last season, then rd 1 was a 9 point 6 reb guy for the Cavs in 20 mins. then he played 24 mins vs us in rd 2 and put up 13.5 points per. He'll be ok in small spurts.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

And how pray tell do you know that?
    When I get calf strains (from running distance) it usually takes three weeks before I can even get back out there to BEGIN to get back in shape. Shaq is younger and in better condition than I am, but my guess is 2-3 weeks at least. If he can make it back by the middle of our first series he could help us later on. That said, I still don't think we are better than the Bulls this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq: Right Calf Muscle Strain : And how pray tell do you know that? When I get calf strains (from running distance) it usually takes three weeks before I can even get back out there to BEGIN to get back in shape. Shaq is younger and in better condition than I am, but my guess is 2-3 weeks at least. If he can make it back by the middle of our first series he could help us later on. That said, I still don't think we are better than the Bulls this year.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Haha, shaq is 11 years older and 150lbs bigger than me. It takes me 4-5 days to get over a calf strain (from flag football). I was giving him a big range... 1-2 weeks... IMO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Usually when someone returns from an injury, they work themselves back into their game. Shaq looked like he was trying to out Garnett Garnett in the five minutes that he played.

It was almost like he was trying to make the case for starting while JO started.

Lets hope that he inserts himself more gradually next time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq: Right Calf Muscle Strain : It was the opposite leg from the one his achilles injury was on genius. It's called overcompensating on one leg b/c the other was in a boot and you are just getting used to doing strenous excersize with it in a real game situation. Agree he is old and weighs too much... but this is a minor set-back for a guy they were too cautious with. From what we saw in those 5 mins he could have played 1-2 weeks ago. Maybe not 16-18 mins a game. but 8-10. We'd have asked for 3 minute spurts 3x a game. Nothing more. Doc should not have him play 5+ straight mins even before this calf sprain. Now we prob have to wait till the playoffs to see thos 10-12 min spurts and the finals to see him play 18+ mins. but I wouldn't put it past him coming back next Sunday vs. Miami if the 2 seed is on the line.

Hey genius. It was the same leg. LOL!

The Celtics said he suffered a right calf strain. While that is not as alarming as what many had feared (a reinjuring or tearing of his right Achilles', which had been the problem the last two months).

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=6288152

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

That said, I still don't think we are better than the Bulls this year.

We can be... if these 5 things happen, ranked in order of importance:

1. Rondo is a 15p-13a-6r-3s guy who is all over the court, makes Rose into 85% of what he was in the regular season, and shoots 35% on mid-range J's and 75% at the line

2. KG stays at 17 points per but ups his reb #'s from 9.0 to 10.5, his blocks from 0.8 to 1.5 and his current 20.4 PER to around 22 in the playoffs. His PER must be higher than Noah's over a series (Noah currently 18.4 PER, 11 rebs)

[KG went for 20.5-10.5-1.5 in '08 w/ a PER of 23, 17.6 in '10 playoffs]

3. Ray plays them like its '09 again. Well, maybe not THAT great (23.4p, 47% on 3's), but he needs to be 50% FG, 95% FT, 40% 3FG Ray in such a series and demolish the weak spot of SG in that lineup for a good 17-18 per. Brewer/Korver split SG, playing 42 mins, Ray himself will play 38 mins.

4. Paul, Green and Baby need match Deng, Gibson and Boozer in production. Currently the Celts trio avg's one MORE minute a game (Green's stats as Celt only) but score 1.7 points less, grab 7.6 less rebounds and avg a 15.2 PER vs. those 3 guys 16.5 PER.

Beat them out in points and PER and cut that reb edge in half and we'll be looking GREAT

For Paul, he simply needs to do all the little things like he always does, get his 20, bust out those 8-9 rebound games we expect in the playoffs AND match Rose as far as closer heroics. For Baby, he has to muscle Boozer from his comfort zones, box out and hit the glass like crazy as well as hitting his FT's and open 18 footers. Green has to play within himself, be comfortable in his role, furiously defend the guys his age with length (Deng/Gibson) and get a quiet 12-14 points per w/ 4-6 boards, a clutch 3/steal/block and a 'where did that come from' dunk each game.

5. Our superior bench plays like a superior bench. I'd take Green over Gibson, Delonte over Watson or Bogans and whoever is healthiest (Kristic or JON) over Kurt Thomas anyday. Whoever is least healthy/playing less mins is still better than Asik.

Shaq is a wild card, we don't 100% need him to win any series but one vs LA and MAYBE if Orlando upsets the Bulls, meaning they are clicking and on fire

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Usually when someone returns from an injury, they work themselves back into their game. Shaq looked like he was trying to out Garnett Garnett in the five minutes that he played. It was almost like he was trying to make the case for starting while JO started. Lets hope that he inserts himself more gradually next time.
    Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan[/QUOTE]

Haha

Truth

Gradually playing say two 3 min spurts two weeks ago, three 3-4 minute spurts last week and finally this week playing three or four 4 minute spurts shoulda been the way to go.

Not saying...'go play 5-6 mins straight and give 110%'

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

where KYceltic been?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

I am not a stat fan. Many times they give an unreliable picture.

I do like our match ups against the Bulls, and our competitive drive.

The only reason this is open for discussion is that the Celtics have not had a true big man playing Center since the trade. Now, that has changed.

When focused, Noah and Boozer are no match for KG and JO or Baby, or Shaq.

Rose, while a factor in the regular season, will likely be nullified by Rondo who loves match ups. The Celtics also have a match up advantage with Pierce and Allen.

The Only match up issue may come against the Lakers if both front lines are healthy. The Celtic defense, after the trade, is somewhat suspect, however, the offense, with Shaq, is better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]I luv Bahston fans. The same people who said Shaq was overrated when he had led LA to championships, now think he is the savior of the franchise. The guy is done. He is 40. Old, fat, tired, and hurt. Done! I posted yesterday that he would not hold up when he returned. If it is a calf strain, he could be out a month. I strained my calf 3 months ago. I rested a week.  Kept trying to walk/run and kept reinjuring it. The process takes a good month.
    Posted by Beat-Boston[/QUOTE]oh now i get your angle! you and the other fakers hate the fact that we are on the shaq bandwagon when some hated him in la. first of i never hated him in la. think he is more responsibble for your rings than kobe ever was. there are 20 guys who could have been put in kobe's blessed postion and still won multiple rings with the BIG DIFFERENCE MAKER SHAQFLON! shaq is teflon man and you are glkue. nothing stiks to him. he willl be fine and give us 10 minutes or so. thats all we need from him! as doc always said if we just have one of the oneals thats all we need!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Shaq looked pretty hurt when he left the court. No matter how minor the injury appears to be after examination, the main concern is Shaq's ability to recover and play. Shaq has shown to be a slow healer. He's most likely done for the rest of the regular season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Maybe, but as long as we get him for the playoffs I can live with that.  Not ideal, but I can live with it.

Some encouraging news though - Jermaine O'Neal said Shaq was laughing and in good spirits, that it was a minor injury and more of a scare for the team and its fans than anyone else.  This is the biggest relief yet, because while it can be argued that a GM or even a coach is liable to spin the facts, I cannot imagine a teammate doing that!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tabuckiss. Show Tabuckiss's posts

Shaq could and should have come in this year in A LOT better shape...his as are finally catching up to him.....

I would save him for game 5 in the Finals vs the Lakers when we are winning by a lot in the 4th...then put him only to hack the hell out of Kobie and send Kobie flying into the stands to end his career!  That's about all Shaq will give us...sorry folks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

Shaq should be called "Big Baby".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq: Right Calf Muscle Strain : Haha, shaq is 11 years older and 150lbs bigger than me. It takes me 4-5 days to get over a calf strain (from flag football). I was giving him a big range... 1-2 weeks... IMO

Well I hope you are right. It would be good to see how far we can go with all of our pieces in place. Its being described as minor...so maybe it will not be 3wks as I suspect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It was nice to see that Shaq could play effectively despite the time off.  It will be too bad if the C's have to make their playoff run without him because at some point, they'll need him.  We have two guys in both O'Neals that could be difference makers if they stay healthy.  I hold my breath every time they play, because as optimisitc a person as I am, I don't think the C's are contenders if Krystic and Murphy are all they have at the 4 and 5.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I was glad to see Shaq back on the court but am disappointed that he's out AGAIN.  I'm not giving up but I am lowering my expectations of him and his contribution come playoffs.  I am just not convinced he can be counted on to give us much.  Yesterday wasn't "much"!

What I got out of yesterday was Shaq played only 5 minutes and made two layups and a "defended" jump hook that was off-line but rolled in.  That is what Shaq should have been able to do.  Detroit had NOBODY even close to defending Shaq.  I just didn't see enough from him.

Honestly, what I wanted to see most is exactly what he failed to do.  And that was to see him get some minutes running up and down the court.  Going 3 for 3 with 6 points was unimportant as opposed to being able to get up and down the court.  Shaq should be able to get easy layups no matter how difficult HE makes them appear.

I wonder IF he will be able to give us much when he eventually returns.  I truly hope so because this story is getting old quickly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Shaqs not here to defend and run the floor, hes here to convert easy baskets in the half court set. As far as the defensive end him just clogging the lane is doing his part.  We just need shaq for 15 minutes a games jo for 15 minutes and kristic and bbaby play the rest. We just need the minimum from these guys collectively, lets just hope we can have them all for the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]Shaqs not here to defend and run the floor, hes here to convert easy baskets in the half court set. As far as the defensive end him just clogging the lane is doing his part.  We just need shaq for 15 minutes a games jo for 15 minutes and kristic and bbaby play the rest. We just need the minimum from these guys collectively, lets just hope we can have them all for the playoffs.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]
    gman101019, Aside from his offense, Shaq WILL need to defend to some degree, rebound and use 4 or 5 of his fouls.  And the only way he will be able to do any of that is by being able to stay on the court (run up and down the court).  You may have mis-interpreted my meaning.  You're right, we don't need Shaq to sprint up and down the court in that sense (run the floor, no).  But we do need to make sure he is capable of getting up and down the court and that is what he failed to do yesterday.  Honestly, that's all I wanted to see out of him yesterday as I'm sure the Celtics did too.

All I was saying is that scoring 6 points was not as important as being able to get up and down the court with some consistency.  I think you'd have to agree that he was unable to do that in his return.  Slow progression like logging 10 minutes, then 13 minutes, then 16 minutes and finally 20 minutes or so on a consistent basis is what we need to see from Shaq going into the playoffs.  It makes things much more difficult if this progression starts IN THE PLAYOFFS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Screw Shaq....just what kind of working out (if any) does this stiff do?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I am not a stat fan. Many times they give an unreliable picture. I do like our match ups against the Bulls, and our competitive drive. The only reason this is open for discussion is that the Celtics have not had a true big man playing Center since the trade. Now, that has changed. When focused, Noah and Boozer are no match for KG and JO or Baby, or Shaq. Rose, while a factor in the regular season, will likely be nullified by Rondo who loves match ups. The Celtics also have a match up advantage with Pierce and Allen. The Only match up issue may come against the Lakers if both front lines are healthy. The Celtic defense, after the trade, is somewhat suspect, however, the offense, with Shaq, is better.
    Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan[/QUOTE]

KG has a better PER than Noah  now... really all he has to do is make sure Noah has the same or slightly worse reg season stats vs him, then keep all hos own stats the same except for grabbing as many boards in 34-38 mins as Noah does in 38-42 mins and IMO that would be considered a destruction.

Rondo just needs to put in his playoff #'s of 12+ assists and 14+ points while making rose just a little more frustrated and a little worse than in the regular season

At that point, as long as everyone else does their job and we get a better Jeff Green in April-May than in Feb-March... we will win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq: Right Calf Muscle Strain : Well I hope you are right. It would be good to see how far we can go with all of our pieces in place. Its being described as minor...so maybe it will not be 3wks as I suspect.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

yes, who knows if the media can be believe don him EVER but today they say maybe Friday. If a win vs. Miami Sunday would tie us with them and give us the upperhand for the 2 seed, then I say he plays.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think we have flexibility against whoever we match up against.  No team can put FIVE capable bigs on the court like Boston in KG, Krstic, Baby, Shaq and JON.  LA has Bynum and Gasol but I think our FIVE will wear their TWO out.  I exclude Odom because I anticipate Jeff Green matching up with him.  I also believe Delonte is going to be our wild card.

Same against Miami and Chicago, we have too many bigs and backups (Green and Delonte) that neither Miami or Chicago can match up against.  If you are going to ask LeBron to check Pierce and Green all day, we will wear him out.  Same for Bosh trying to check KG and Baby.

And against Chicago, Rose will have his hands full if Rondo and Delonte consistently attack him.  Against Chicago, the wild card is Ray versus Bogan.  Ray would have to "dominate" him and Korver.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

[QUOTE]I think we have flexibility against whoever we match up against.  No team can put FIVE capable bigs on the court like Boston in KG, Krstic, Baby, Shaq and JON.  LA has Bynum and Gasol but I think our FIVE will wear their TWO out.  I exclude Odom because I anticipate Jeff Green matching up with him.  I also believe Delonte is going to be our wild card. Same against Miami and Chicago, we have too many bigs and backups (Green and Delonte) that neither Miami or Chicago can match up against.  If you are going to ask LeBron to check Pierce and Green all day, we will wear him out.  Same for Bosh trying to check KG and Baby. And against Chicago, Rose will have his hands full if Rondo and Delonte consistently attack him.  Against Chicago, the wild card is Ray versus Bogan.  Ray would have to "dominate" him and Korver.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey I think this is looking more and more like a slight tear and spasm