Shaq vs. Perk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Shaq vs. Perk

Shaq is one of the greatest centers to ever play the game.  Even in this diminished form he is light years ahead of Perk.  Perk has a role, he is an active presence and will work nicely when Shaq is too tired or unable to bear down defensively.
    Perkins is also not nearly as bright or capable as Shaq and for those  who watched him make stupid fouls, turnovers or get silly techs you have to be somewhat relieved to see Shaq out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I have seen enough of Perk.

Ask Portland to gamble with Celtics.
    Swap Perk with "always ailing" Oden --- Let's gamble !

Let's roll the dice.Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

It is still too early to tell which player will be best in the play-offs, the real season.

Shaq is so much better on offense than Perk. The synergy between Shaq and KG has been great so far. Double teams become very difficult, and Shaq is very hard to guard without a double team. So is KG for that matter.

Perk's claim to fame is defense. He has proven that he plays as well as any Center in the league against players like Howard, Duncan, and Bynum.

Before I make up my mind which player I would rather see start, I have to see the Celtics play the Magic, the Spurs, and the Lakers with Shaq. Until then I will just enjoy the show.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq vs. Perk:
    [QUOTE]It is still too early to tell which player will be best in the play-offs, the real season. Shaq is so much better on offense than Perk. The synergy between Shaq and KG has been great so far. Double teams become very difficult, and Shaq is very hard to guard without a double team. So is KG for that matter. Perk's claim to fame is defense. He has proven that he plays as well as any Center in the league against players like Howard, Duncan, and Bynum. Before I make up my mind which player I would rather see start, I have to see the Celtics play the Magic, the Spurs, and the Lakers with Shaq. Until then I will just enjoy the show.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

I had to see only one game with Shaq to realize what he brings to the table. We he gets the ball down low, he flushes it.  Perk on the other hand will "wind up"  and either get blocked  or get the ball stole.  No comparison here. Rebounding  edge to Shaq.  Team defense  edge Perk but minor.   Perk could be a good 2nd team enforcer that we need. The second team needs Perks defense.  The first team is basically unguardable with Shaq down low.  JMO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

The problem is when we play teams that have 4's and 5's that can both go outside and shoot, or play pick and roll from the outside in.   Shaq can only back off and let them shoot.  If they get hot, this would mean we would have to put in perk or baby.  We saw this when the backup center for toronto hit several 20 footers.  And of course, we really don't want to play shaq more than 20 minutes night in and night out.

Otherwise, shaq all the way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Perk can play the kind of defense that is needed in the playoffs.  Shack can be a defensive negative.  WE really need JO back  because he is a combination of Shack and Perk.  IF we don't get them back , just hope that Shack remains healthy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Hi One,

You may be right.

We have not seen how the team plays with Shaq, on defense, against most dominant Centers, specifically, those that the Celtics might meet in the play-offs. He will probable offset their offense with his own offense.

The old axiom that offense comes and goes, but teams can bring defense every night has served the Celtics well.

Until we see the dynamics, it is hard to gauge. We do know that Perk can handle these guys on defense.

Certainly, on offense there is no comparison between Shaq and Perk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

When JO gets back, and is playing like he can play, Perk will either be 3rd string or trade bait!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Perkins is a good solid player. He's a very limited sort of player, but fits in very well with the current Celtics team. He's improved considerably since his rookie year and does get better each season, this will plateau but you can't ask for anything more from a player like Perkins. I think playing with Garnett has really helped him as well.

The thing is Perkins will never be the player Shaq was, and can't even be the type of player Shaq is today. Shaq is one of the great NBA centres. It's like comparing a Ferrari Testarossa to Ford Bronco. The Bronco is a fine vehicle but it's no Testarossa.

Perk will be back and I'm sure will be starting again next season. Bringing Shaq off the bench will give the Celtics an enormous weapon to use on other teams second units. Providing Shaq doesn't retire if the Celtics win a championship this year which is highly probable one would think if the Celtics get title number 18.

I say next season because I don't know if Perkins would start when he returns this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

If people haven't noticed, both Shaq and JO (when he played) are foul machines.  They are still effective players but have slowed down to the extent that it is hard for them to defend cleanly.

Perk obviously has offensive limitations but if he comes back any where near his pre-injury form, our chances for #18 are much better.  A servicable Perkins would give us 18 fouls at the center position.

You can never have enough big bodies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Perkins is a good solid player. He's a very limited sort of player, but fits in very well with the current Celtics team. He's improved considerably since his rookie year and does get better each season, this will plateau but you can't ask for anything more from a player like Perkins. I think playing with Garnett has really helped him as well. The thing is Perkins will never be the player Shaq was, and can't even be the type of player Shaq is today. Shaq is one of the great NBA centres. It's like comparing a Ferrari Testarossa to Ford Bronco. The Bronco is a fine vehicle but it's no Testarossa. Perk will be back and I'm sure will be starting again next season. Bringing Shaq off the bench will give the Celtics an enormous weapon to use on other teams second units. Providing Shaq doesn't retire if the Celtics win a championship this year which is highly probable one would think if the Celtics get title number 18. I say next season because I don't know if Perkins would start when he returns this season.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  Cant even say Perk is a good solid player in all honesty and he hasnt improved each season, in fact the last 2 seasons he declined imo.

His rep is a defensive player, usually the tag when a player cant do much else...and that fits Perk fine.

Early last season he showed signs of being an offensive presence but that quickly disappeared. He now struggles to dunk or hit a layup. Hes easily blocked. His rebounding has become attrocious. Check his stats last 1/2 of the season and the playoffs.  Even setting picks he hasnt learned  coupled with the refs having it in for him.  Then theres the TECHS, which hes near the top of the NBA with.

Overall, we're not missing Perk all that much. Maybe he fits into out defensive scheme well but thats about it. He usually plays good 1on1 defense against Howard.. the only spot Perk has made a name for himself but tell me how well he was doing against the Lakers in the finals??  Their bigs were playing volleyball with rebounds and Bynum/Gasol owned the lane.

No question Shaq is #1 starter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq vs. Perk : I agree. I can't understand why Perk is getting so much bad rap from Celtics fans. When we lost last season to the Lakers, most everyone in Celtic land was saying that we would have won the title had Perk not gotten injured. Shaq has indeed been a godsend to the team this year, but I see no reason in having to put down Perk in the process. Fact is that Perk makes life on court a lot easier for the Big 3 and Rondo. He has his shortcomings, but who doesn't? Perk will become a free agent at the end of the season. If the Celts don't sign him before then, we can expect a line of suitors for his services. Miami for one would love to have him.
    Posted by edcap99[/QUOTE]

Agree. Good post and well said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I guess it depends on who we're playing.  If we're playing Orlando, shaq can bang down low with dwight about as well as perk does, and gives us more offense.

If we're playing the lakers and they put odem and gasol on the floor, we're going to have a lot of problems defending the perimeter.  I can't see either keeping shaq contained defensively though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

lovetruth007,

do you think the celtics would have won game 7 last year against the lakers if perkins had been able to play?  i think that a lot of players on the team and the coaches felt that missing perkins was pretty important.

it seems that there is a lot of negativity towards perkins, but i believe that he has been far more of a positive than a negative in his years with the celtics.

he is not o'neal on offense (even an older version) but there are a lot of guys who have played center in the NBA who have not been as good as shaq, too.  shaq is a hall of famer no matter when his career ends.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

Charlie,

That is a big if. I would say Cs would likely have won the banner 18 if Perk played game 7. I do think Cs would definitely win it all if Shaq played game 7.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Charlie, That is a big if. I would say Cs would likely have won the banner 18 if Perk played game 7. I do think Cs would definitely win it all if Shaq played game 7.
    Posted by lovetruth007[/QUOTE]

If we would have had Shaq last year there wouldn't have been a game 7.  C's would have won in 5-6 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]Shaq is one of the greatest centers to ever play the game.  Even in this diminished form he is light years ahead of Perk.  Perk has a role, he is an active presence and will work nicely when Shaq is too tired or unable to bear down defensively. Perkins is also not nearly as bright or capable as Shaq and for those  who watched him make stupid fouls, turnovers or get silly techs you have to be somewhat relieved to see Shaq out there.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

This.

Of course Shaq is better, he is a hall of famer for crying out loud!  You can't expect Perk to compete with that.  Shaq, even at his age, is miles better than Perk and that's no knock on Perk, because like I said, Shaq is one of the greatest centers ever.

And to the person that said Shaq is slow and doesn't block shots... have you seen him go up for alley oops?  He's looking pretty spry to me.  And I have seen him block some shots this year.

Shaq is doing everything Perk was unable to do, like catching passes and not bringing the ball down and getting stripped, setting LEGAL picks, etc.  So many easy points that Perk missed out on are actually going in the basket now with Shaq.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love Perk and glad he's on our team.  Shaq's just better is all.  Perk will be here when Shaq is gone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Let's see!  We have a guy, Shaq, who plays with a SMILE, and cuts out your Heart!  Then we have a guy who plays with a FIERCE SCOW and crys every time he is fouled, or drops a pass with his bad hands.

Celts have half as many technical fouls this year without Perk and Wallace.  OOPS!

Perk has value, he fits here.  It will be great to have him back.  I just hope it doesn't create a chemistry problem.

We are going for # 18.  Ever look to see the Celtics Centers for the 1st  "17"?

Some guys name Bill Russell  --  Dave Cowens  --  Robert Parish  --  and a guy named Perk.  Let's hope this year we get # 18 with a guy named Shaq.  -- 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

[QUOTE]Charlie, That is a big if. I would say Cs would likely have won the banner 18 if Perk played game 7. I do think Cs would definitely win it all if Shaq played game 7.
    Posted by lovetruth007[/QUOTE]

Celtics wouldnt' have won last year even if the ghost of wilt came back to play game 7.  There would have been a 30 free throw discrepency if that's what it took.  This year will be different.  This year will be displayed as "revenge of the shaq" year by the nba marketing division.  We'll get the calls as long as it's shaq vs kobe at the end.  Plus, it's our "turn."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

i am hoping perk is learning from shaq. if perk and semi don't take the time to learn from the greatest moden center, then there is something wrong with them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

No idea whats going to happen when Perk comes back but he probably will have to come off the bench come playoff time and play along side with big baby as baby will be the offense and Perk will be the defense. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Isn't it amazing to see Shaq play every night?  Even at 60% of what he once was, he is still better than most centers in the league.  He gets a double-double in 20 minutes!  I was never really a fan because I thought he got away with a lot of stuff (3 seconds, offensive fouls, extra steps, hanging on the rim) given his superstar status.  But after watching his agility and his ability to finish around the rim, it must have been an amazing thing to watch him in his heyday when he was leading LA to those titles. 

I know LA fans get on him for past transgressions, but if that guy wasn't in shape for a few years in LA then I can only imagine how much more dominant he would've been had he been motivated.  I'm glad he's here, if he's healthy he will be a huge help. 

All egos aside, Doc will do what he needs to do and use Shaq in the best way to help the team.  If that means he starts or comes off the bench, I'm sure he and Perk can deal for the next few years.    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Hands down Shaq. Perk is better on defense, but Shaq brings so much to the table. There is still no one in the this league that can stop Shaq when he is in the paint and backing you down. More importantly he rebounds and his presence is opening lanes for others, especially Rondo!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

For the record the game last night showed a BIG reason why Perkins is a starting center at this point and Shaq is not.  People have been conveniently ignoring the # of fouls that Shaq has committed and assuming his diminsihed minutes are just due to age.

Perkins in 2009-10 per 36 minutes had 2.2 blocks and 3.7 fouls.
    O'Neal in 2010-11 per 36 minutes has 1.0 block and 5.6 fouls.

While I understand that defense isn't all about blocks I'm including that number because centers usually foul during a block attempt.  You can applaud Shaq's presence on defense all you want but the fact is that he's fouling everyone in sight.  Even if he had the stamina to play 30+ minutes the numbers say he'll probably foul out of half those games.

Realistically on this team with Rondo, Pierce, KG, Allen you don't need an offensive center and they have not the past few years. All you need is one that can put a body on big centers/PFs (since KG will not) and not keep giving them free throws or foul out. 

Ideally what the team should do once Perkins is back is trade Baby for a more athletic PF.  Then you've got your 2 big physical centers and 2 athletic mobile PF's. Baby and Shaq can't block shots or stay with mobile PF's which will be a big problem when you're forced to put a Baby-Shaq or Baby-Perkins combo out there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Perkins in 2009-10 per 36 minutes had 2.2 blocks and 3.7 fouls.
    O'Neal in 2010-11 per 36 minutes has 1.0 block and 5.6 fouls.

Statistics is zhyte (sheet) of white paper....unfortunately.