Shaq's weight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Shaq's weight

Shaq came into training camp slimmed down. However it appears that he's put on quite a bit of weight since. Is it my imagination, my eyes playing tricks on me or do any of you notice what I'm noticing in regards to Shaq's weight.
       My concern regarding Shaq's weight has to do with his playing ability and nothing else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Shaq's weight

In Response to Shaq's weight:
    [QUOTE]Shaq came into training camp slimmed down. However it appears that he's put on quite a bit of weight since. Is it my imagination, my eyes playing tricks on me or do any of you notice what I'm noticing in regards to Shaq's weight.    My concern regarding Shaq's weight has to do with his playing ability and nothing else.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing last nite when I was watching him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

It's that time of the season.  Everyone is not always super focused and needs a mental break going into the all star break.  He's performed above expectations so far this year - and I'll bet he's just let his focus on fitness slip a little to take a mental break.  I think he's earned it and fully expect he'll continue to impress the rest of the season if he stays healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq's weight:
    [QUOTE]It's that time of the season.  Everyone is not always super focused and needs a mental break going into the all star break.  He's performed above expectations so far this year - and I'll bet he's just let his focus on fitness slip a little to take a mental break.  I think he's earned it and fully expect he'll continue to impress the rest of the season if he stays healthy.
    Posted by jeezem[/QUOTE]

level of fitness plays into that. Old knees don't like carrying extra weight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

He didn't impress me last night. Maybe he supplies a little comic relief in the locker room but I couldn't, for the life of me, understand what he was doing out there last night. He's slow, out of shape, can't elevate, gets his shots blocked, plays little defense and doesn't hustle. How has he earned a "mental break"? And how has he "performed above expectations"? I watch a guy like Garnett go nuts out there--- he's so into the game--- and then I see Shaq just going through the motions. Maybe he'll be an asset down the line, but at this point he should be in better shape and putting out more effort.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]It's that time of the season.  Everyone is not always super focused and needs a mental break going into the all star break.  He's performed above expectations so far this year - and I'll bet he's just let his focus on fitness slip a little to take a mental break.  I think he's earned it and fully expect he'll continue to impress the rest of the season if he stays healthy.
    Posted by jeezem[/QUOTE]

He's performed exactly to my expectations

20 mins, 9 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block and 12 missed games in the first 48 (so 25% of the time inactive)

and yeah, he looked thinner in September... as its been for the past 5 years shaq needs to drop 25lbs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

He is what he is. I'll take a bigger version rather than no version. He has made a positive difference for the team so far. Hey I know while were watching his weight lets take a look at his salt intake, or how much candy he's eating or if he's suckin down too many brews. He clogs the middle like no other, that alone is a big asset. Let him watch his own weight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i would say that shaq has been all that the celtics thought he was going to be so far.  he has been a good addition to a team that has the best record in the east and has beaten the best teams in the west.

he is not able to play like a hall of fame player any more, but he certainly has helped the team during the first 50+/- games.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I dont think hes much heavier, if any. Playing NBA ball 3-4x a week has to keep alot of fat off, no? He just may be slowing down a bit with nagging injuries and getting tired as the season wears on.

Hes doing fine, not as good as the beginning of the year but that was an all star pace.  If we get 2 good games, 2 avg games and 2 below avg games..   every 6 games from Shaq, Im happy.

Hes been better than I thought and adds alot of yuks to the game and locker room I bet. Plus hes smashing people in the middle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

To my eye he looks a little bigger, however they way he is playing I am not worried.  I am really happy with Shaq and also give him credit for accepting his role.  Some once-superstars do not find being a role player easy (hello AI)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]To my eye he looks a little bigger, however they way he is playing I am not worried.  I am really happy with Shaq and also give him credit for accepting his role.  Some once-superstars do not find being a role player easy (hello AI)
    Posted by BoylestonBB[/QUOTE]
    Great point about him accepting a role. He is sacraficing for the team and being a great citizen for the community.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Hey, he's always gonna look big.  Bigger than training camp?  Maybe.  But I think more important than whatever his weight is is his attitude.  Unless Doc has a strategy he's keeping to himself or not yet finished formulating, Perk is gonna be back in the starting lineup sometime in the 2nd half of the season.  Shaq's desire and attitude needs to be the same coming off the bench as it is/was starting.  We need Shaq.  His size and experience have been a definite plus for us so far.
    All his statements about his goals for this stage of his career lineup with this, so if he sneaks a pizza now and again when he's playing alongside Nate and Quis, I won't complain.  His seratonin levels probably just need a little boost.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, he's always gonna look big.  Bigger than training camp?  Maybe.  But I think more important than whatever his weight is is his attitude.  Unless Doc has a strategy he's keeping to himself or not yet finished formulating, Perk is gonna be back in the starting lineup sometime in the 2nd half of the season.  Shaq's desire and attitude needs to be the same coming off the bench as it is/was starting.  We need Shaq.  His size and experience have been a definite plus for us so far. All his statements about his goals for this stage of his career lineup with this, so if he sneaks a pizza now and again when he's playing alongside Nate and Quis, I won't complain.  His seratonin levels probably just need a little boost.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]
    Serawhatitzzz?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq's weight : Serawhatitzzz?
    Posted by OneNation[/QUOTE]
       Serotonin is a neurotransmitter in the brain. It has several functions, and appettite is one of them. That's what he's referring to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq's weight : Serawhatitzzz?
    Posted by OneNation[/QUOTE]
    I love this board

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

When I saw Shaq on that TV show before the season he looked like he had dropped a few pounds.  But in a basketball uniform he still looked as big as a dinosaur to me even at the begining of the season.

But I'm confidant that Shaq is willing to do what it takes to bring a title here.  Hell, he's been showing on screen and rolls all year and he's been notorious for not doing that for most of his career.

Let's just keep him healthy for the games that really count.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq's weight :    Serotonin is a neurotransmitter in the brain. It has several functions, and appettite is one of them. That's what he's referring to.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]
    Thank You.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

fact is he's the oldest player in the league - just that a 38 year old guy that big can still run around and have some really great games is amazing.  just because he looks really slow at times and isn't that mobile doesn't mean in any way he's not giving it his all out there.  he was supposed to fill in for Perk with JO - and basically play the 1st half of the season with limited minutes and then focus on being ready to contribute to the playoff run.  He did his job - and wasn't expected to even start at Center - he was a backup behind JO.  He stepped up, has played his heart out and the Cs have a great record throught the first half of the season.  He looks a little old and past him prime at times because he is - but, he's adding to his legacy every time he sets foot on the floor.  If the Cs can pull off a title this year, Shaq's contribution will be legendary and one of the biggest of his whole career, because nobody expects a guy that big to be able to play so far into his 30's, and who could have ever imagined Shaq trying to win a title playing for the Cs 10 years ago?