Should Ainge go after Oden?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Should Ainge go after Oden?

I feel sorry for the guy, 3 years and hasn't been able to play....rough.

There will be teams that will give him a shot if he's waived by Portland. If not, do you think Ainge should give Portland a call and offer a player/pick for him. Teams will try and go after him and what you don't want is for him to land with the Heat or Lakers.

Shelf him for a year and let him rehab and try to get himself back. He's so young that with proper rehab he may be able to come back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: Should Ainge go after Oden?

Portland has the best inside info on Oden. If they're waiving him, why would we pick him up?  My guess is if he's waived, that means the dude's toast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I don't think anything will happen until after the season.  Portland has said they are not offering him an extension.  He is a RFA, which means they can match any offer made to him.  I don't know that they will, and I don't know that we have more than next years MLE to give the guy...would the Blazers match that?  Be aware, too, that the lakers and Heat will only have the MLE next year as well.  A little too soon for this discussion.  How about Dampier?  LA will not sign him because he wants guaranteed money........everyone looks at him as a short term solution, I guess..........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Getting on hunch sounds crazy.  If he is a Sam Bowie the whole thing is very sad but needs to be avoided.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Getting on hunch sounds crazy.  If he is a Sam Bowie the whole thing is very sad but needs to be avoided.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He is still very young and talented...even if it took him 2 years to properly rehab and be able to play again without fear of injury he'd still by very young by the measure of this team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

H E L L NO!!!  I dont care if the Fakers or cHEAT get him.  What has he done that we should be worried about?  The Fakers have Bynum, who cant stay healthy and to take on another center who has missed 80% of the games since being drafted.  Stay away from him like the plague.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I'm not sure if Ainge will go after Oden, but the Lakers will surely go after Oden once he's released. The Lakers love players like Sam Bowie. In fact, they have a similar player like Bowie in Andrew Bynum. Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Hell no to Oden, the guy looks like another Jermaine Oneal in the making, always getting injured.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

They were talking about Oden on ESPN radio in Vegas today. They said that the problem with Oden is that one of his legs is longer than the other, which leads to serious problems with his legs and especially his knees (overcompensating for the shorter leg), and this is a problem that he is going to have to deal with his entire career.

The host who was talking about it (can't remember his name) has the same medical issue, and he really wanted to play pro baseball, but had to give it up due to his medical condition and the fact that he kept getting hurt....and that was baseball, which has nowhere near the strain on your knees as basketball does, especially on a 7-footer.

I have no proof or links to back this up. Again, this is just what I heard them talking about on the radio today, and it seemed to make sense to me. So, judging by that....I'd say we should leave him alone.

I really do feel awful for the guy....that's a crappy break. But, at the same time.....I'm kinda thankful we didn't end up with that #1 pick that year, because I'm almost certain we would have drafted Oden over Durant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

In Response to Re: Should Ainge go after Oden?:
    [QUOTE]Hell no to Oden, the guy looks like another Jermaine Oneal in the making, always getting injured.
    Posted by CelticFanLA[/QUOTE]

Jermaine O'Neal is probably going to end up in the hall of fame. He did have over a dozen extremely productive years before coming to us in the twilight of his career. No disrespect intended, but not really a fair comparison to JO.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

First off, I dont see how JON even sniffs the HOF.

About Oden, Id take him if he was cheap and medically could recover from his knee problems. The guy hasnt done much even when hes healthy but has the tools to be a good player in the middle.  Roll of the dice.

I certainly wouldnt give him a big contract... too injury prone and for a guy that size, health is doubly concerning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

WHY, WHY, WHY??????????  We have perkins and Erdan!!!!  Why would DA waist money on an injuried plagued 7 footer?  no thank you.  We talk Walton in his twighlight with injuries....NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! 

This should be a no brainer...........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Ainge go after Oden? : Jermaine O'Neal is probably going to end up in the hall of fame. He did have over a dozen extremely productive years before coming to us in the twilight of his career. No disrespect intended, but not really a fair comparison to JO.....
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]
        Off the top of my head, J.O had 5 or 6 allstar seasons. Maybe 7 or 8 big seasons total. Remember his first 3 or 4 years in Portland he hardly played and the past 3 years were mediocre. An impressive career, but I doubt if he's hall of fame material.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Ainge go after Oden? :     Off the top of my head, J.O had 5 or 6 allstar seasons. Maybe 7 or 8 big seasons total. Remember his first 3 or 4 years in Portland he hardly played and the past 3 years were mediocre. An impressive career, but I doubt if he's hall of fame material.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe that was a bit of a stretch, but it made my argument stronger..lol. I don't think you can compare the two players though, Oden will never be as good as JO was.....and that's unfortunate. I feel bad for the kid....it's not like he just isn't trying. His body just can't take it. Two microfracture surgeries.....he's gotta be crushed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

i get where the idea comes from. buy low and invest in potential that wasn't reached at. the problem is, u will never be able to count on him to stay healthy and thats not wat we want for a team with championship aspirations.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

If I were Ainge I would look at this situation like the Bill Walton situation. Get someone in his ear and let him know he could repair his legacy or reputation if he gets with a prestitious franchise that won't look for him to carry the load but to be another piece.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Everyone knows the Lakers buld their teams around great centers, Mikan, Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq and now they got Bynum/Gasol playing that spot. What the Celtics wouldn't do for a roll call like that but hey at least a 38 year old Shaq is a step up over a stiff like Perk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Russell, Cowens, Parish  ain't too shabby

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Any answer depends on when and for how much.  I highly doubt Portland would release him as it doesn't save them any money with his guaranteed salary.  If they need an extra body with all their injuries, most likely the League gives them a 16th player exemption but they'll likely just keep him inactive the rest of the season.  Hollinger at ESPN.com ran a piece wher ehe reminded everyone that while SAm Bowie was never the player some predicted he did have 5 fully healthy and productive seasons as a Net.  Not great but not a NBA bust either - his problem is the MJ draft and Oden's is Durant.  If the question is whether DA should try to trade for his rights and sign him after the season, I doubt that will occur as we would have to put him on IR the rest of the season, will have to have traded someone with a comparable salary (haven't looked at who that would need ot be) and then go through the rest of the season with only a 14-man roster.  Not what you want to do if you hope to get another Banner and need flexibility down the stretch.  If after the season, do you explore Oden as a RFA, completely depends on how Perk ocmes back from surgery, how does Erden develop, and what is the situation with Shaq/JON.  Too many variables to give any answer other than maybe -- wait and see.  Just my two cents.