SHOULD anyone b allowed to wear #5, #34 or #20 right now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

SHOULD anyone b allowed to wear #5, #34 or #20 right now?

pats routinely pull this jabro move, hope we r aboe it. pierce, allen and kg gie a lot of themselves to our glory. should b at least a 3 year moratorium while we wait to raise all THREE to the rafters, as well as the rondo's if he keeps playin! een if traded, no one should wear the #9 for at least 3 years either!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

Re: SHOULD anyone b allowed to wear #5, #34 or #20 right now?

I would remain open to someday retiring Garnett (5) and Allen (20) as Celtics. For now however, the numbers should be available. Regarding Pierce (34), no way! Consider that number retired immediately and hold the ceremony when he is through playing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

No Celtic should ever wear #34 again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

pats routinely pull this jabro move, hope we r aboe it. pierce, allen and kg gie a lot of themselves to our glory. should b at least a 3 year moratorium while we wait to raise all THREE to the rafters, as well as the rondo's if he keeps playin! een if traded, no one should wear the #9 for at least 3 years either!

#5, give it a year to three out of respect and the fact that kg helped bring a title to boston and didn't leave in the manner ray did. The bulk of kg's hall of fame career was spent in Minnsetoa, and that's where his number will/should be retired. The celtics should have a ring of honor similar to the patriots team hall of fame for players like garnett to honor their accomplishments, but if being a key player on a championship was the only criteria to retiring a number, there wouldn't be many numbers left for the celtics teams to use. As for #20, give it to anyone who wants it. He didn't start here, play the bulk of his career here/have his best years here, play here long enough to make his hall of fame career here, and as a result have his number put in the rafters. He too could have an argument for a team hall of fame spot eventually as a key coontributor on a championship team, but i'm not over his jumping ship to join dirty dwayne and the queen of flops.

As for #34, no one should ever wear it again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

#34 should be retired tomorrow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

5 and 34 should be retired 20 not so much. I respect allen and dont hold any anomosity for him, but I'm not so sure if his number should be retired in boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from frommaine. Show frommaine's posts

#34 should not be used and retired when Pierce retires.  As to KG his number should be retired where he wants it to be.  As to Allen, forget about it.  He chose to jump ship and frankly I am tired of seeing all his pictures on the Boston Globe site and will soon tire of Doc's picture since he chose to leave as well.  It is time to focus on the folks we have here now while giving Pierce and KG the respect and attention they deserve.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

I LIKE pierce but #34 should b retired in honor of KEVIN GAMBLE! love pierce but he's no gamble!LOVed watching that guy, so smooth. what happens to #9 if the rondo is traded?

COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES... @commyContrarian on Twitter!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

PP a no brainer #34 locked down and lifted to the rafters

I think KG too but can understand anyone feeling differently..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

34 & 5 are both shoo ins, 20 is iffy due to the circumstances concerning his departure.

Thanks for posting a relevant thread.

If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the UP button

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Definitely do not retire #20. Ray Allen was only here for 5 years and won one championship. I don't think that's even close to enough to merit jersey retirement. The Celtics aren't the Charlotte Bobcats. They have a rich history and don't need to retire the jerseys of every player who ever did something remotely noteworthy. The Celtics could assign #20 to Phil Pressey and I'd be fine with it.

For similar reasons, I don't think #5 should be retired. Garnett's best years came with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He was instrumental in Banner 17, but the Celtics ultimately only won one championship with him in 6 years. In the grander scheme of Celtic history, that's not all that impressive. I'd be respectful and not give his number out for a few years. I wouldn't do anything beyond that, barring some kind of unforeseen future reunion.

Paul Pierce's #34 should absolutely be retired and never given out to another player. He spent the bulk of his career here. He had his best years here. He ranks in the top 3 of several key statistical categories. He's among the all-time franchise greats, at least by the numbers. He was the face of the franchise for almost his entire tenure in Boston. I also don't think his days as a Celtic are over. It wouldn't surprise me to see him come back for the final season, or even month of his playing career. He'll also be a part of the Celtic organization in some capacity post-retirement. His number should definitely be up in the rafters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

#34 is rafter bound. #5 on hold until we see if KG wants Tom retire a Celtic. #20 can go to anyone who wants to wear it. Ray Allen is a traitor. maybe they can retire it in Miami. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I also believe that # 34 and # 5 should be retired.  Especially # 34 because of all the contributions that Pierce made to the Celtics organization.  I don't think # 20 should be retired because of the way that Ray departed Boston. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 41144. Show 41144's posts

How about retire #20 in honor of Larry Siegfried?

"Siegfried played his first seven professional seasons with the Boston Celtics, earning five championship rings during that time. He led the NBA in free throw percentage in both the 1965–66 and 1968–69 seasons"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

retire 34 now.  I agree, kg will go down as a wolf.  Ray wasn't here long enough.

Just 34.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Retire 34 and everyone else's number is fair game!  KG and RA were not here long enough and did not do anything notwworthy, except one title.  Not enough body of work to justify KG and RA.

Born and Raised in LA and I bleed kelly green!!!!!!!  Go Boston.  A fan since 1980....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

unretire other jerseys just retain #s 6,14,17,33,32,00

then lift #s 34 and 5

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:

unretire other jerseys just retain #s 6,14,33,32,00

then lift #s 34 and 5

Perhaps you should read up on the players and numbers before you start suggesting unretiring numbers and putting kg ahead all of them. It's an insult to many of the players who achieved more as celtics than kg ever did. I still think cedric maxwell shouldn't have been retired. At the rate they are going, they'll have to issue triple digits or use letters instead of numbers on the uniforms.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/history/RetiredNumbers.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

No one should get #34 any more.  Perhaps #5 too.  I'd give #20 to anyone who wants it.  Yes, Ray was part of a championship winning team but you don't retire the numbers of all players who were on a champioship team.  You have to be special and a consistent performer at a very high level as a Celtic for at least 6 years.  Pierce has done more than that.  KG has done it by leading the culture change.  Ray has not done that.