Should Doc be replaced if Pierce/Garnett retire or leave for another team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Should Doc be replaced if Pierce/Garnett retire or leave for another team

As much praise as Doc gets and sometimes deserves, I am not sure he should remain the coach for the upcoming yrs as the Cs look to re-build. I am sure I will hear it from all the Doc supporters. I am not trying to bash him, just being honest. Furthermore, I don't want to hear how well he did with the depleted roster.

In my opinion, he just gets stuck in a rut of only playing his favorites. And that proves costly come the end of the season and into the playoffs. KG and Paul logged way too many minutes over the past few seasons while others were never giving a chance. Minute management is critical with an aging team like the Cs.

If I hear another Doc huddle speech it will be too soon. I just get so tired of hearing the same speeches in the timeouts. How could he not be worried about the offense or lack of rebounding. Never once do I hear him speak about the lack of rebounding or attempt to rebound the ball. It is a basic task. And the Cs stink at it. All five should have been part of it.

And what was with the offense by the way. He just continued to let the shoot and fire up 3s. Crazy. No inside game. No ball movement. It was some horrible basketball even with the depleted roster they should and could have done more.

I guess in the end, it really would not have mattered if they moved on. The struggles would have only gotten worse. Maybe this first round exit will force Danny to make a youth movement or search for some size. The question is, will it include Doc. Time will tell.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Should Doc be replaced if Pierce/Garnett retire or leave for another team

In response to antiqueman1's comment:

As much praise as Doc gets and sometimes deserves, I am not sure he should remain the coach for the upcoming yrs as the Cs look to re-build. I am sure I will hear it from all the Doc supporters. I am not trying to bash him, just being honest. Furthermore, I don't want to hear how well he did with the depleted roster.

In my opinion, he just gets stuck in a rut of only playing his favorites. And that proves costly come the end of the season and into the playoffs. KG and Paul logged way too many minutes over the past few seasons while others were never giving a chance. Minute management is critical with an aging team like the Cs.

If I hear another Doc huddle speech it will be too soon. I just get so tired of hearing the same speeches in the timeouts. How could he not be worried about the offense or lack of rebounding. Never once do I hear him speak about the lack of rebounding or attempt to rebound the ball. It is a basic task. And the Cs stink at it. All five should have been part of it.

And what was with the offense by the way. He just continued to let the shoot and fire up 3s. Crazy. No inside game. No ball movement. It was some horrible basketball even with the depleted roster they should and could have done more.

I guess in the end, it really would not have mattered if they moved on. The struggles would have only gotten worse. Maybe this first round exit will force Danny to make a youth movement or search for some size. The question is, will it include Doc. Time will tell.

Good post..

Remember what you hear from Doc in timeouts, mostly cheerleading and "cmons"... then take a listen to Pop or most others... Doc never learned coaching through coaching HS, college or assistant in the NBA... Doc left the NBA as a player and became head coach of an NBA team shortly thereafter. Is it surprising all you hear is cheerleading?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Celtics will not fire Doc.

If Doc leaves it's on his own terms.

Not a big deal considering the Celts will be in rebuilding mode and Doc's contract only has 2 more years left.

Oh yes, no firing. I am not implying that. Doc did wonders for the team. No doubt about it. But it might be where his time is just up especially if the vets go(via retire or another team). I guess I feel similar about BB and the Pats. I think his rein is over.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Celtics will not fire Doc.

If Doc leaves it's on his own terms.

Not a big deal considering the Celts will be in rebuilding mode and Doc's contract only has 2 more years left.

Oh yes, no firing. I am not implying that. Doc did wonders for the team. No doubt about it. But it might be where his time is just up especially if the vets go(via retire or another team). I guess I feel similar about BB and the Pats. I think his rein is over.

Would you approve if Jeff Van Gundy replaces Doc?

He is a viable option.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Always options. Fresh start might be needed is all I am saying depending on what happens with the vets....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

doc is beyond his shelf life.  players have overtly tuned him out at times the past two years.  he has not an innovative bone in his body.  he plays crony ball with rondo no matter how miserably rondo plays his racket to accumulate stats to mask the destructive nature of his game.  once we got rid of clifford ray, the team needed another big man coach because doc can't deal with big men.  unless they are 32-35 y/o "veterans".

doc has nothing left to give.  he never had anything to give.  player development (think: davis, barbosa, bradley) was always by roster attrition, not by nurturing.  doc has said in his own words multiple times that he dislikes young players.  and so it is.  get rid of the clown.  a 5 year extension was a joke for a coach, who ever time he was wired for a game, was an embarrassing litany of rah rah phrases that were devoid of any knowledge / strategy.

let doc go coach austin somewhere.  they deserve each other

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Don't know about canning Doc. My choice would be to sack Ainge. This team of aging superstars should have been blown up and rebuilt after the loss to the Lakers in the finals in 2010. Perhaps they could have gotten younger talent or high draft picks for Allen, Pierce and Garnett, but Ainge elected to try to squueze one more championship out of them and will end up getting nothing as they depart.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Doc should be replaced if we can get someone better.

Which should not be too difficult.

doug collins?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Doc  was the perfect coach for this group but I guarantee you if Paul/Kevin are gone Doc will be too, he knows he is not a fit with a young team and, much to the denial of some of our posters here, Doc is in the position to pick his coaching spots and go to desirable teams, which this will not be. So, your post isn't really necessary in that regard, Dco won't be here if those guys leave. Don't be surprised to see Doc coaching the 2016 Olympic team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i love KG and pierce...but we can't win with them anymore...we just can't keep up with teams...it's getting hard to watch...it's to bad we all get old.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Doc should be replaced if we can get someone better.

Which should not be too difficult.

doug collins?

God, no.

I wish we had just made Tom Thibodeau coach or Mark Jackson.

lol..i know just throwing a name out there...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"My choice would be to sack Ainge."

Can't go along with you there. This team went to game 7 of the eastern conference finals last year, a more than respectable finish. 

You can debate whether the team should have been blown up after 2010, but doesn't mean Ainge doesn't have a pretty decent looking resume (outside of homerville). 

The thing that cracks me up about the "blow the team up" posters is that 1. Ainge did try to make a number of moves that other teams vetoed or players canned, and 2. most players (Mayo etc) don't want to play in Boston. You live in denial if you think another GM can come in and make Boston as attractive a destination as LA or Miami. 

Oh and by the way Ainge has set it up to be able to go after Lebron the year he is free. Not that Lebron would come but that's not a terrible approach. It beats sucking up to Dwight Howard...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Doc  was the perfect coach for this group but I guarantee you if Paul/Kevin are gone Doc will be too, he knows he is not a fit with a young team and, much to the denial of some of our posters here, Doc is in the position to pick his coaching spots and go to desirable teams, which this will not be. So, your post isn't really necessary in that regard, Dco won't be here if those guys leave. Don't be surprised to see Doc coaching the 2016 Olympic team.

i agree..he doesn't even like to play young guys now....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I wish we had just made Tom Thibodeau coach or Mark Jackson."

Doc has a far better coaching resume than either one of those guys. 

Granted I like their chances to have great coaching careers as well. 

Doc will leave soon and we'll get another coach, chances are good he will be inferior to Doc. 

But there are a handful who maybe are or could be better so we'll  see

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

doc is beyond his shelf life.  players have overtly tuned him out at times the past two years.  he has not an innovative bone in his body.  he plays crony ball with rondo no matter how miserably rondo plays his racket to accumulate stats to mask the destructive nature of his game.  once we got rid of clifford ray, the team needed another big man coach because doc can't deal with big men.  unless they are 32-35 y/o "veterans".

doc has nothing left to give.  he never had anything to give.  player development (think: davis, barbosa, bradley) was always by roster attrition, not by nurturing.  doc has said in his own words multiple times that he dislikes young players.  and so it is.  get rid of the clown.  a 5 year extension was a joke for a coach, who ever time he was wired for a game, was an embarrassing litany of rah rah phrases that were devoid of any knowledge / strategy.

let doc go coach austin somewhere.  they deserve each other

Doc had 3 bonified NBA Hall Of Famers on his team all at the same time for seveal years and should have won more than one NBA Championship with this group. A great coach wins more than one, while an average at best, "player's Coach" plays the role of "Umbutu manager" to ensure the chemistry stays in balance and he goes as far as his player's talents, skills, and abilities take him. Great coaches have more of an impact on the players performance by adjusting game plans and in game strategies. WE NEVER SAW ANY OF THAT WITH DOC. Just lots of cheering. Alsom His inability to identify when a player should/should not be used is so clear. Doc should go, because if he doesn't, the Celtics will not develope fast enough for any of us unless DA can surround him with more great players. Period.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"My choice would be to sack Ainge."

Can't go along with you there. This team went to game 7 of the eastern conference finals last year, a more than respectable finish. 

You can debate whether the team should have been blown up after 2010, but doesn't mean Ainge doesn't have a pretty decent looking resume (outside of homerville). 

The thing that cracks me up about the "blow the team up" posters is that 1. Ainge did try to make a number of moves that other teams vetoed or players canned, and 2. most players (Mayo etc) don't want to play in Boston. You live in denial if you think another GM can come in and make Boston as attractive a destination as LA or Miami. 

Oh and by the way Ainge has set it up to be able to go after Lebron the year he is free. Not that Lebron would come but that's not a terrible approach. It beats sucking up to Dwight Howard...

Phil is going to Detroit. If you can make Detroit an attractive destination for anything other than hockey it surely can be done in Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Doc had 3 bonified NBA Hall Of Famers on his team all at the same time for seveal years and should have won more than one NBA Championship with this group. A great coach wins more than one, while an average at best, "player's Coach" plays the role of "Umbutu manager" to ensure the chemistry stays in balance and he goes as far as his player's talents, skills, and abilities take him. Great coaches have more of an impact on the players performance by adjusting game plans and in game strategies. WE NEVER SAW ANY OF THAT WITH DOC. Just lots of cheering. Alsom His inability to identify when a player should/should not be used is so clear. Doc should go, because if he doesn't, the Celtics will not develope fast enough for any of us unless DA can surround him with more great players. Period.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

Continuity and stability are vastly undervalued in sports. What's happending now is natural, and expected. No reason to make it into a panic situation, which is what it will look like if they fire Doc. Players get older, and their health and talent deteriorate. It happens. Fact is this team is in a much better position to transition into a new era than it was at the end of the Bird era. No reason whatsoever Doc needs to go unless there's a clear upgrade available, and I don't see anybody on the horizon who's a better coach. Dump salary, bring in someobdy like Big Al, get Rondo and Sully healthy, make one or two other tweaks, and see what happens. Guarantee you there's not another coach for hire players would prefer to play for more than Doc Rivers.