Simply Pathetic (vs Houston)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Simply Pathetic (vs Houston)

To play with no purpose at home is simply pathetic....KG your worth more than they can ever pay you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Re: Simply Pathetic (vs Houston)

As Tommy was saying, it looked like the tank is empty, and that's a tad early....
    Too early to panic, but it is worrying to me.

Good game by marquis. Too bad it was wasted.

Again issues with rebounding....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

True there are many factors.  But, I see NO sense of urgency by Pierce.  Slow running and no real aggressiveness on offense.  Also, Shaq gave us NOTHING.  So who here actually thought JON would outplay Shaq?  Well, he did.   Poor BBD is SOOOO tired.  He's just playing too many minutes to give us that "6th man" type of energy all game.  

But, in the end, there are two things wrong (and KG really helps both of these):

1. We have NO life in these last 2 games.  There's no energy, especially on defense.   Rockets score 108 points when they were trying to hold the ball/slow the game in the last 2 minutes!  

2. Our rebounding just stinks.   Outrebounded 38 to 31 by the Rockets in our house!!!!  I watched VERY closely tonight and I can see that we are just slow to the ball.  Multiple times, the other team jumps quickly and they jump over us.   We are simply slow to the ball.....across the board.  Just lackadaisical.   

Can't blame Ray...he shot well, again, and even rebounded well this game (7 boards led the team).

Truly frustrating as a fan.  I HATE being right about this, but we are 5 and 5 (.500 ball) since Christmas.  The team as a whole just doesn't have the life they need.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Yes, when Ray's the leading rebounder there's something wrong.

This season may turn out to be a carbon copy of last season, hopefully with a happier ending though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Also, you can't blame davis; as you also say he's playing too many minutes and someone has to take those shots. I mean, they were pretty much all good shots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

minutes this game:

BBD - 38
    Rondo - 38
    Ray - 33
    Paul - 30
    Daniels - 24
    Shaq - 21
    JON - 21
    Nate - 16
    Luke - 10
    Wafer - 9

That's just too many mins for BBD.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Simply Pathetic (vs Houston):
    [QUOTE]To play with no purpose at home is simply pathetic....KG your worth more than they can ever pay you.
    Posted by walk2run[/QUOTE]

Right on the money about KG!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i keep wondering why rondo saunters into and out of games w/o even attempting 10 field goals.  isn't he the fastest guy around?  how does kyle lowry get allowed to double him up for scoring and flat out outplay treasured rajon? 

i just don't get it.  kg is out. we need more from everyone.  and we get less from rondo.  nothing makes sense any more.

i did not think davis would be this tired this fast.  he suffered no such problem in 2009 when he started for KG and played mucho minutes.

i think this team is suffering from something more.  like young vs. old or rondo vs. everyone else maybe?  i really don't know what it is, maybe none of us do, but there is a story to be told about what is wrong with this team and it's going on behind the scenes. 

there is no way we should ever play patsy to this terrible houston team even w/o kg.  if pierce looks like he's sleepwalking, why is he?  he must be tired of something.

it's too early in the year to get into low shot clock half court sets vs. an awful team like HOU.  all around crazy that we are looking at a game like this in our own house.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

The lack of effort on the boards and poor defense has been the big problem IMO. It's been going on for the past 2 weeks or so. The C's just aren't playing with a lot of hustle or enthusiasm right now. Ray and Marquis played well tonight, but most of the C's weren't into the game the way the should. Also add too many stupid fouls that hurt us also.
       I hope they snap out of this funk sooner than later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

I thought they would go 6-0 on this home stand.  They lay an egg to a houston team missing their best players!!!!!  Sh!t is ridiculous!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Simply Pathetic (vs Houston):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Simply Pathetic (vs Houston) : Unfortunately I think you hit on something, but realistically all teams go through something during the long season.  What matters is how they come out of it.  12 -15 grown men, most with high opinions of themselves and strong personalities; something is bound to rub someone(s) the wrong way over 9 months. Anyway, Rondo's obession with assist to the point of passing up wide open layups would be laughed at if an opposing player did it.  Totally selfish.  Coach says a certain player will not be taking the majority of shots anymore, yet the offense doesn't change and it happens again.  Rondo REFUSES to play team defense (and remember going under a screen to D Fish in game 7).  Just to many strange things going on for players of this talent level.  The lack of fight for the boards may be the most telling statistic because that is just hard work. Shelden Willams looks like Rodman on the glass compared to this crew.   Not sure if it's fatigue or whatever, but I'm sure the head coach and front office have some idea, and will do what's necessary.
    Posted by jallen3531[/QUOTE]

I just got done drowning my current team sorrows in watching Game 7 ECF 1981 while i was finishing up work for the night.  There are only a few paralells b/t most of the guys on this roster and how they are playing and that 1981 team that fought back from 3-1.

The only main similarity i can find is they wore sneakers and a uniform.  I mean really.  Tiny Archibald was just fine as a PG for that team that won it all.  And he was a shred of his former self.  He did what needed to be done, when it needed to be done.  Like driving to draw the foul shots and get an in game rest.  Rondo will NOT do this to save his life b/c he is fradey cat of shooting freebies.  It's the weakest minded thing I've ever seen from a "pro".

And the whole level of effort, hustle, grit, defensive over-achievment- the comparison of 1981 vs. 2011 is stark.  Guys like Rick Robey, Bobby Jones (for Phi) and even Steve Mix and the lint that was shaken out of Bird's sneaker after the game is tougher than our entire team, especially our BIGS has been playing.  It's pathetic.  We're getting walked on by 2/3 of a REALLY BAD team.  It happens a lot.  BAck then it might have happened once a year in between 20 game win streaks.

KG can not and does not hold all of the keys to this lack of intensity, enthusiasm and effort.  I would submit that the vets on this team are probably getting tired of the way rondo runs the offense.  NOw that there is no hurryup and easy points in the game (or VERY VERY FEW), what does rondo offer in the half court game?  the answer is nothing.

DAvis should not be this tired.  Marquis and Ray shoudl never lead the game in rebounds.  Where is Clifford Ray?  Where is the Davis that filled in admirably in 2009 when KG was hurt?  He's in BETTER shape now, so what gives?  I can tell you part of what gives- miserable and I mean god-awful lousy half court sets being served up by a PG who is simply won't shoot the ball unless he feels the conditions are 100% correct.   All I can figure is that running the clock down in the majority of the half court sets is sapping this team psychologically- I mean NOTHING is easy any more.  Whose fault be that?!

If we can get old crusty chauncey, i would get him.  and don't care about offending anyone along the way, we're just going the distance of this year doing whatever we can to win it.  we need scoring threats at all five positions for the half court game, especially now that all of the hurry up easy points seem to have left rondo's game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Shaq was never a rebounding center and hated to play defense in L.A. And now he's much older. Perkins will right the Boston sail. He's a better defender, rebounder and has much younger legs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

This team of vets doesnt have the energy to get up for every garbage team it plays.  We're 5-5 in the last 10  and we were 27-27 in the last 54 last year.

Losing to the worse teams this year is not a coincidence. The Raptors, Rockets & CAVS!!!  Notice the pattern??? Yet, we played the Spurs with great enthusiasm.. Naturally, a good team we get our motors running.

Doc & everyone else in the Celtics knows the older guys cant keep their motors running 24/7.... they let down & theres nothing anyone is gonna do to change it. Its nature...  The only chance of turning it is when we're all healthy cause our depth is so great. 

Of Note, the 68 or 69 team, Russells last year... that ld Celtic team went through the season like 48-34... pathetic, yet won the NBA championship.. Old guys coasting through the season and turning it on when it counted.. sounds a bit like last years Celtics team....  and maybe this years as well

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The lack of effort on the boards and poor defense has been the big problem IMO. It's been going on for the past 2 weeks or so. The C's just aren't playing with a lot of hustle or enthusiasm right now. Ray and Marquis played well tonight, but most of the C's weren't into the game the way the should. Also add too many stupid fouls that hurt us also.    I hope they snap out of this funk sooner than later.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Agree with you about the rebounding and defensive effort.  They definitely didn't play much defense the past few games, and the rebounding has been a problem for this team for the past couple of years.  Not sure who needs to improve their rebounding, but believe they are really missing Perk, in this area. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]It's unacceptable. It's obvious they need KG to hold people accountable or something because they are playing like a joke. It's also Doc's fault. How on earth is he giving Baby those kinds of minutes. I guess it's too late to bench him since KG is on the horizon. I'm never happy when they lose but show some grit. I see none.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Yes, and based on the post game interview, Doc knows this. He and his assistants made a big mistake the last few games.  I bet they feel like they had few options and wanted to win.  Luke gave us nothing except one game; Shaq can't guard anyone 2 feet away from the basket and can't handle the pick and roll (and we knew that going in); Jon is better at D but slow up the court; Quis and PP are undersized to play power forward.  Also, Erden can't play power forward.  We're just going to have to suffer through giving Luke more minutes, I guess.  That's the position that is really hurting when you're missing bigs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

We scored 102 point, and we allowed the Rockets to score 108 points while shooting 52.7%.

Clearly it is not the Celtic offense that is at fault, but the Celtic defense.

Offense is fun, with accolades and instant gratification when you score. After the game, your name is in the paper for the points that you scored.

Defense is hard, requires much more effort, and the personal rewards are not great, because stops do not show up on the stat sheet.

I doubt that the team was tired at the beginning of the game, and most played regular minutes except Baby. The defense was absent in the second half for long periods of time.

Why?

There is probably more than one reason.

1. KG, their defensive leader was not there to hold others accountable, and inspire defensive play.

2. The Rockets are horrible, and many of the Celtic players expected a cake walk, so their defensive effort was minimal. Why not have some fun. We don't have do the dirty dishes and play defense, we are playing the Rockets.

Offense comes and goes. There are good nights and bad nights. Defense can be brought every night. It is hard, and much of it does not show up on the stat sheet, but it is required for consistent play, and it is what will win banner number 18.

When the Cs get KG back healthy, the universe will return to its correct orientation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Doc did his Phil Jackson impersonation last nite....things will work theirselves out. Only they didn't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Daniels really seems to be playing great - let's get his minutes up.  He's versitile and can play several positions.  Why not try to get 30 minutes a night out of him.  He can play for Paul and Ray, and PF.  He clearly can take advantage of a weak defender and plays strong defense.  Too many people are tired and are playing too many minutes - play the bench guys who show signs of life.  You might drop a couple games playing the bench too much, but obviously we're going to loose some games to fatigue if we play our starters too much, and run the risk of overuse injuries like the one KG is out with.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I suggest starting JON against the Kings. Could improve rebounding and interior D. If it doesn't work out so what. Can change back the next game. Bring BBD off the bench. Anything to lose?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I dont know if Semih brings good luck or good minutes or whatever it is but ever since JON has been back on the court and Semih minutes drastically decreased, the C's have been playing bad ball.. I know KG is well missed but I also think there is a correlation of JON playing time and C's lack of organization on court. That is just my opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]To play with no purpose at home is simply pathetic....KG your worth more than they can ever pay you.

I agree with this assessment but how is it that someone like Tim Duncan does not have to be an loud obnoxious egomaniacal bully to get his team's to play well?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

So why doesn't KG ever sit on the bench and give moral support or like yell at them or something lol I know he doesnt because he wants to be out there, but I think they could use their heart out there supporting them : (

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Simply Pathetic (vs Houston) : I agree with this assessment but how is it that someone like Tim Duncan does not have to be an loud obnoxious egomaniacal bully to get his team's to play well?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Because Tim Duncan is not the energetic leader.  He's the lead by example leader.  He's their Paul Pierce, not their KG.  Greg Popovich is their KG.  Ever see Pop go crazy on these guys or on the refs?   

KG does it his way.  Antoine did it his way.  We are currently a team that needs that emotion to play well against weaker teams.   Every vocal "get you excited" type of person does it his own way.  I love KG for his passion.  Some don't.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

I don't say this often but you guys are spoiled. Tommy Heinsohn summed it up at the end of the game calling this time of the year, "rubber room time." In baseball they call it "the dog days of August." In basketball, "the dog days of January." Very, very rarely does this Celtic team "mail it in." Very rare. They didn't against Houston the other night either, but, they were kind of lacking energy and were a bit "flat." {Give Houston credit too, they made alot of shots.} If Garnett gets back in good health and if Rondo gets back to 95% of good health the Celtics will be a dominant team again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Simply Pathetic (vs Houston) :              I don't say this often but you guys are spoiled. Tommy Heinsohn summed it up at the end of the game calling this time of the year, "rubber room time." In baseball they call it "the dog days of August." In basketball, "the dog days of January." Very, very rarely does this Celtic team "mail it in." Very rare. They didn't against Houston the other night either, but, they were kind of lacking energy and were a bit "flat." {Give Houston credit too, they made alot of shots.} If Garnett gets back in good health and if Rondo gets back to 95% of good health the Celtics will be a dominant team again.
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

Yes, Walton.  Many of us try to tell fans 'don't panic', but it happens anyway.  Same panic/criticism set in last year.  Folks just need to remember its 10 games in 15 nights (and I think it was something like 8 games in 10 nights) with THREE back to backs.  Sometimes, you just get tired and no matter how hard you try, you just can't bring the same energy.  It happens in a long season.

We're in a tough stretch.  Miami had one earlier. Lakers had one a few weeks ago.  Dallas is in one now like us.  It happens to all good teams.  San Antonio hasn't hit theirs, yet, but odds are that they will.  They will then recover and be fine.  Likewise, We will recover!!

Keep the faith, Celts fans!