Slow news day - so here is my "team" for next year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Slow news day - so here is my "team" for next year

I would like to say firstly, that I don't even think there will be a season, or much of one next year.  There is too much mistrust, and the money is too far off.  I kind of blame MeBron for this.  The players colluded, but management can't?  I think this is payback, and the players will cave!!

Anyway -here are three teams for the 2011-2012 Celtics - 1 is the one I would like to see, 2 is the one it MAY be and 3 is my "dream" team for this year.  I tried to keep expenses down, knowing we want cap space for next year!!

#1 Team I would like to see
    Rondo/West/Bradley
    Ray/Crawford/Moore
    PP/Green/Brown
    KG/Young/JJJ
    JON/Jordan/Gray

#2 Team it could be, and wouldn't be bad:
    Rondo/West/Bradley
    Ray/Crawford/Moore
    PP/Green/Brown
    KG/JJJ/Greg Smith
    JON/Gray/Kwame Brown

#3 My dream team - one BIG trade (not an impossible one, btw) and two FA - one MLE and one LLE (current CBA rules apply):

NASH/West/Bradley
    Ray/Pietrus/Moore
    PP/Green/Brown
    KG/Thaddeus Young/JJJ
    Robin Lopez/Aaron Gray/Greg Smith

Okay - I'm ready for your comments/critiques!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Slow news day - so here is my "team" for next year

Get used to slow NBA news days!

Stephen A. was saying something interesting on his radio show. He said that the lockout may go on for a long time because the owners feel like the players are colluding and if the owners tried to do what the players are doing they would be charged with colluding. He's saying that when Bron, DWade and Bosh discussed/talked about playing together and then Melo forcing his way out of Denver and now Paul probably doing the same thing, that the owners are going to put a stop to it.

He's got a point to an extent. However haven't players always talked about where they're going to play? I guess he's saying thatwith the way FA is setup and no matter how much New Orleans wants to pay Paul or Orlando wants to pay Howard that they will force the owners to do something they don't want to do. It's no longer about money or building a good team, it's about 10 guys joining forces to dictate the direction of the league.

I think some of these guys made it too obvious. I think a franchise tag and transition tag is coming in order to keep your two best players. If that happens Paul and Howard are going nowhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Wow, your 1st unit might be tough to assemble because it's going to be hard getting Crawford, Thaddeus Young and Jordan.  We may be able to obtain two of them but I doubt we can get all three.  But I like that team.  If we could put Rondo, Crawford, Green, Thaddeus and Jordan on the court together, that would be sick.

Your 2nd unit might be more attainable.  That would be an interesting team.

The 3rd unit, IMO, is just too old.  Great players but just too old.  The backups would literally have to carry the team which is "do-able" since all 5 have been starters in the NBA.

Like you, I'd love to see team #1 but would not be too disappointed with team #2.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You know, regarding collusion among the players, this subject has always bothered me.....my example is the winter meetings in baseball.....the owners are sitting at the bar having a few....the topic of salaries comes up and two or three owners state that they will not overpay the players.....they want to put a competitive team on the field but not at the cost of escalating the salary structure....especially after seeing players "mail it in after they get their deal" (see Dave Parker)....a couple of owners think it over and buy into this theory....that is fine...but if, as years go by at the meetings, more and more owners realize that this is in their best interest and might be in the best interest of baseball....well then that becomes collusion....the players in sports wield the power in my opinion...the reserve clause might have been unfair....but things have taken a complete 180...and the fans suffer....free agency has ruined sports...at least for this fan...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The owners that get the top players probably aren't complaining but for competitive balance it's probably going to change the landscape of the league. The problem isn't so much with paying the top guys, it's the average/marginal players that are making a killing. Also nowadays guys like Bron are making more off the court in endorsements than they are in salary. Some want to say they're now turning down more money but it's really smoke and mirrors.

IMO, Bron didn't do the smart thing, he did the easy thing. He showed who he really is and until they win a title we can't call it a smart move. All smart moves aren't easy but all easy moves look smart.

I'm a fan not a player and as a fan I like the NFL model because your team can always keep it's best player and still go out and sign other players depending on how you value those players. It doesn't always work out for the player but what these guys are doing NOW is they all want to play in Miami, LA, NY or Chicago/big markets. Durant went old school.

If the NBA had a Franchise Tag in place I would've hoped the Celtics used it on Perk. I'm sure Orlando would like to use a tag on Howard. Cut the contracts to 3 years so Howard could be a UFA without a tag in 3 years, it gives the team time to build around him. It also helps your GM from doing stupid stuff (Clippers call your office) year in and year out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics2008Champs. Show Celtics2008Champs's posts

WOULD THIS TEAM BE GOOD?

Ty Lawson /West
    Ray Allen /Crawford
    Jeff Green /Pierce
    Kevin Garnett   /JuJuan Johnson
    Nene /J.O

***trade Rondo, Avery Bradley, and 3 future picks for Ty Lawson and Nene ( i dont know if the money adds up, but we could offer money as well )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics2008Champs. Show Celtics2008Champs's posts

Yes, i would rather a center and shooting point gaurd for Rondo.. sorry Rondo lovers..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Slow news day - so here is my "team" for next year:
    [QUOTE]The owners that get the top players probably aren't complaining but for competitive balance it's probably going to change the landscape of the league. The problem isn't so much with paying the top guys, it's the average/marginal players that are making a killing. Also nowadays guys like Bron are making more off the court in endorsements than they are in salary. Some want to say they're now turning down more money but it's really smoke and mirrors.   IMO, Bron didn't do the smart thing, he did the easy thing. He showed who he really is and until they win a title we can't call it a smart move. All smart moves aren't easy but all easy moves look smart. I'm a fan not a player and as a fan I like the NFL model because your team can always keep it's best player and still go out and sign other players depending on how you value those players. It doesn't always work out for the player but what these guys are doing NOW is they all want to play in Miami, LA, NY or Chicago/big markets. Durant went old school.   If the NBA had a Franchise Tag in place I would've hoped the Celtics used it on Perk. I'm sure Orlando would like to use a tag on Howard. Cut the contracts to 3 years so Howard could be a UFA without a tag in 3 years, it gives the team time to build around him. It also helps your GM from doing stupid stuff (Clippers call your office) year in and year out.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about MeBron, and I think the kids of today will suffer.  Durant and Rose will probably be with their teams for life.
    My opinion on the franchise tag is this - owners want it, players don't.  I can see a compromise as this - each team gets ONE francshise player.  Pay him what you can work out, and it does NOT count against the cap.  The other 14 players you have will have to have combined salaries of 46-58 mill or whatever it is.  3 yr deals max, and you can rotate your franchise tag every year if you want.
    Celtics, for example, would use it on KG next year, since he makes the most.  THEN, after next year, it is OPEN, meaning that is a lure for a FA to come here.  There will have to be some kind of lure to get players to come to BOS, NJ, MN and Utah, since we don't have the weather!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Slow news day - so here is my "team" for next year:
    [QUOTE]I would like to say firstly, that I don't even think there will be a season, or much of one next year.  There is too much mistrust, and the money is too far off.  I kind of blame MeBron for this.  The players colluded, but management can't?  I think this is payback, and the players will cave!! Anyway -here are three teams for the 2011-2012 Celtics - 1 is the one I would like to see, 2 is the one it MAY be and 3 is my "dream" team for this year.  I tried to keep expenses down, knowing we want cap space for next year!! #1 Team I would like to see Rondo/West/Bradley Ray/Crawford/Moore PP/Green/Brown KG/Young/JJJ JON/Jordan/Gray #2 Team it could be, and wouldn't be bad: Rondo/West/Bradley Ray/Crawford/Moore PP/Green/Brown KG/JJJ/Greg Smith JON/Gray/Kwame Brown #3 My dream team - one BIG trade (not an impossible one, btw) and two FA - one MLE and one LLE (current CBA rules apply): NASH/West/Bradley Ray/Pietrus/Moore PP/Green/Brown KG/Thaddeus Young/JJJ Robin Lopez/Aaron Gray/Greg Smith Okay - I'm ready for your comments/critiques!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    Be careful.  Nash is still good but way up there in age.  With Rondo there is the threat and reality of fast break on offense.  Also, Rajon is the better defensive player.  As good as he is, Nash could be a step backward.   Also, according to Hollinger PER ratings, which takes into account both various offensive attributes and what various things your man does against you: Garnett, Pierce, Allen and Rondo are still playing at a substancially high level.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]I am a die hard Celtics (basketball fan) as anyone else but I hope that the owners hold to their guns and if it costs a season so be it.......for most owners the owning of a basketball team is just pin money.......it is a hobby for most.......their empires are not dependent on the NBA.......but the players salaries are...........as far as I am concerned the salaries of good to elite ball players is way out of line with the poor blue collar worker who slaves for minimal salary.......someone needs to show professional athletes that that is all they are .......athletes......there is always NCAA basketball and I for one would much rather watch a college game than most NBA teams........I believe however that Stern sides more with the players than with the owners...........if there is true parity in the NBA then think of the TV ratings for the finals if Sacramento plays Toronto in the finals...........parity could doom the NBA.........so I guess it is a double edge sword.......but I for one would love to see the salaries of athletes come down along with the ticket prices so that a blue collar guy could afford to take his family to a game or two........
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

It's not the guys like Kobe, KG or Pierce that are killing the league. It's when the owners give guys like Perk, TJ Ford and Dunleavy HUGE deals that are killing the league.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I like #2 with an adjustment of JO, Jordan, Gray from #1.  PF Greg Smith is very raw but with time could be a monster.  

I agree w/BiasLewis that overpaying marginal players huge amounts is what's hurting the league.  It's like grossly overpaying a utility infielder who hits <.220 (who thinks he deserves a raise); it's baseball's Achille's heel.  The NFL gets it right by requiring the player to make the team instead of ridiculous written-in-stone guarantees.  The NBA owners have been their own worst enemies and have been reaping what they sowed since the last CBA.  Now they want to make up for their stupidity while the middling and weaker players have gotten fat and happy with absurd contracts.  Neither group wants to blink for fear of admitting their folly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Your dream team is the worst of the three. I would take your second team, and be happy with it!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE] Your dream team is the worst of the three. I would take your second team, and be happy with it!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]
    I am leary about Nash but young big Robin Lopez is on the way up.