Some Random Thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickFaldo. Show NickFaldo's posts

Some Random Thoughts

The All Star game is a joke and nothing will save it. Dunk contests have always been boring. The three point one is fine. It's up there with the home run derby for baseball. This year should be special with Ray going against Paul. That being said, the game won't mean much or be that interesting perhaps only for a small stretch if Doc decides to play all four Celtics at once. That will view like a video game.

Baseball has got it right. The winner of their all star game gets home court. They had to do something after one game ended in a tie. They knocked it out of the park with that idea. I also like how baseball doesn't have too many playoff teams. Basketball is awful for allowing scrub teams to make it into the big dance. It's also unfair to the better teams to have to play so many extra games. The regular season becomes for the most part meaningless.

They should cut it by one series and make the first one best of five. Then the regular season becomes more special. Home court becomes important to attain to be able to play the scrub team the first round. .500 seems to be the magic number for teams to currently make the playoffs. That number is too weak. Those teams will never win it all. They don't deserve to be there.

With less playoff teams, the mediocre ones would have incentive to try to make the fourth spot in their conference. It would be a worthy accomplishment and set up a chance at cinderella status. The scrub teams would be what they are. If teams want to tank the season for a high draft pick, let them. They will lose money in attendance. There are also too many teams involved in the draft lottery. Only the worst of the worst should have a chance at the top picks.

Now to Golf news. Tiger Woods was caught spitting. Tiger deserved the bad karma for what he did to his wife, but I'm not upset someone spit outside. That's political correctness gone mad. Then there's Jim Gray who got let go as an announcer for hassling a caddie. No surprise there. It was obvious he's a self-serving media hack when he badgered Pete Rose during a big game. I'm not sticking up for Pete Rose, but there's a time and a place for that kind of barbecue.

That should do it. This has been the poor man's version of Bob Ryan emptying the pieces from the sportswriter's desk.

Critics can’t get Garnett to go on the defensive
    Kevin Garnett won’t flinch when going head-to-head with opponents such as Channing Frye. (Matt York/Associated Press)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Re: Some Random Thoughts

On the All Star games, I pretty much hate all of them. When I was younger I loved watching all of them. Now, I think they are a waste of time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

To each his own.  Its a game/honor/weekend of fun activities for the players and for the younger fans.   Let them all enjoy it.  I mildly enjoy it, especially in the 4th quarter when their competitive spirit and desire to win shows up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

The ASG isn't what it used to be, especially in the dunk contest.  Back in the Bird or Jordan era, big name players used to partake in the dunk contest and it made the event spectacular to watch.  Now the biggest name is Griffin, when it should be Griffin, LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, etc.  Plus, the players seem to be running out of ideas to be innovative.  This is no knock on them, it's simply that 99% of the dunks we see have been completed before. 

The ASG itself is a fiasco.  No defense, no effort, and no incentive to try.  The NBA needs to make this game mean something (i.e. like Selig did with the MLB) so we can really see how these guys can play with each other.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickFaldo. Show NickFaldo's posts

Dunks have been overdone. Horse is good. I'm not sure what if anything could be done to spice up the actual game. Giving home court to the winning conference makes a mockery of the regular season. I don't think it being a good idea for baseball means that would translate well for hoops.

The biggest problem with basketball has to be the officiating. If it weren't so bad, then home court wouldn't be almost a necessity. If the refs were better and not into home cooking and other biased decsions due to psychological factors, Doc probably wouldn't be running the starters into the ground this much to end up with a great record. I'm not sure Donaghy has been the only corrupt ref, but without proof, going the conspiracy route is pointless.

Pierce mentioned maybe the league will in the future have the players pick the teams. That sounds like a good idea. I don't like fans selecting the players. But maybe you could have them pick who from each conference gets to draft their dream team. I would have the coaches and/or sportswriters vote on who should actually make the all star game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Some Random Thoughts:
    [QUOTE]The ASG isn't what it used to be, especially in the dunk contest.  Back in the Bird or Jordan era, big name players used to partake in the dunk contest and it made the event spectacular to watch.  Now the biggest name is Griffin, when it should be Griffin, LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, etc.  Plus, the players seem to be running out of ideas to be innovative.  This is no knock on them, it's simply that 99% of the dunks we see have been completed before.  The ASG itself is a fiasco.  No defense, no effort, and no incentive to try.  The NBA needs to make this game mean something (i.e. like Selig did with the MLB) so we can really see how these guys can play with each other.
    Posted by Driscoll92587[/QUOTE]

Wow, on the ASG itself:  you seem to have forgotten that the game is about the FUN, not about competing too hard and getting hurt.  They all just want to have fun and not get hurt as they are all important to their team for the 2nd half.   If you're a Celtic fan, think of it this way:  Do you want Paul, KG, Ray, and Rondo all putting lots of effort, practice time, and mental energy into a game that has no impact on the season and giving them only a chance to be injured or do you want them resting and relaxing and getting re-energized by the mental break they all get?   Imagine someone going up for a dunk and another player trying hard to stop them and one of them hurting their hand on the rim or one of them twisting and ankle or even hurting a knee?   Is it that level of competition you really want to see in a game that has nothing to do with your team's chance to win a championship?

Its about the fun, man, not defense and competition.  Fun for kids and young people.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Random Thoughts : Wow, on the ASG itself:  you seem to have forgotten that the game is about the FUN, not about competing too hard and getting hurt.  They all just want to have fun and not get hurt as they are all important to their team for the 2nd half.   If you're a Celtic fan, think of it this way:  Do you want Paul, KG, Ray, and Rondo all putting lots of effort, practice time, and mental energy into a game that has no impact on the season and giving them only a chance to be injured or do you want them resting and relaxing and getting re-energized by the mental break they all get?   Imagine someone going up for a dunk and another player trying hard to stop them and one of them hurting their hand on the rim or one of them twisting and ankle or even hurting a knee?   Is it that level of competition you really want to see in a game that has nothing to do with your team's chance to win a championship? Its about the fun, man, not defense and competition.  Fun for kids and young people.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I didn't forget anything.  I understand the injury factor that plays a role in the ASG.

But on the flip side of things, if you're a C's fan, think of it this way: One game could give you home court advantage for the Finals if your conference wins.  How nice would it be if the East beats the West, the C's rest their starters, get into the playoffs at any seed, beat their opponents to get to the Finals, and have home court regardless of record?  Of course this is all speculation, but I'd like to see these guys show some hustle for 48 mins to gain an advantage down the road.  this would work too, since the top seeds usually fill the ASG roster.  Obviously the owners wouldn't want to see their assets put into a position that would potentially hurt them, but I'm sure the long run benefits would outweigh the minute probability of injury during this game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickFaldo. Show NickFaldo's posts

Both sides of the argument make sense. You don't want players getting hurt in a meaningless game.

Then again, it's only one game. I change my mind and think giving the winner home court for the finals might be the solution. Then just tinker with the schedule and have teams play an equal amount of conference and division games while continuing to minimize games played across conferences. Division titles don't and shouldn't mean much.

That would make not only the ASG have importance but would also heighten regular season matchups say between Boston against Orlando, Miami, and Chicago.

When those teams now play it's really only one game that might matter for a tie breaker. If the winner of the ASG got home court for the finals, it would be interesting to see fierce rivals having to work together for one game.  It's probably a better idea to make the ASG have significance than to come up with some gimmick like Pierce mentioned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Interesting.  It sounds as if you don't think the teams have enough incentive to win, already.  I can't see that.  I just can't see anything making the Celtics want to beat the Heat more or visa versa.  Same for Celts vs Orlando or Orlando vs Miami.  I wonder what gives you some indication that these teams don't play hard enough against each other, already?

Let the Allstar game be a break.  Let the players have a short vacation/relax time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting.  It sounds as if you don't think the teams have enough incentive to win, already.  I can't see that.  I just can't see anything making the Celtics want to beat the Heat more or visa versa.  Same for Celts vs Orlando or Orlando vs Miami.  I wonder what gives you some indication that these teams don't play hard enough against each other, already? Let the Allstar game be a break.  Let the players have a short vacation/relax time.

In my opinion, no they don't have enough incentive to play hard in the ASG.  I can definitely see where you're coming from in terms of having a relaxing weekend and getting back to fun, but I think that home court is essential during the Finals and it would make players on teams that have a shot at the trophy play harder than they would otherwise. 

I mean when i watch this game, i see only one half of the capabilities of the Associations talent.  Imagine how much better it would be if you saw big blocks by Dwight, steals by Rondo and CP3, and a game that's more reflective of the overall talent level that we as fans see every night as opposed to just scoring 170 points in a media-influenced, money-generating spectacle? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]To each his own.  Its a game/honor/weekend of fun activities for the players and for the younger fans.   Let them all enjoy it.  I mildly enjoy it, especially in the 4th quarter when their competitive spirit and desire to win shows up.

Agreed Cfan.  It is entertaining for one game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Random Thoughts : Wow, on the ASG itself:  you seem to have forgotten that the game is about the FUN, not about competing too hard and getting hurt.  They all just want to have fun and not get hurt as they are all important to their team for the 2nd half.   If you're a Celtic fan, think of it this way:  Do you want Paul, KG, Ray, and Rondo all putting lots of effort, practice time, and mental energy into a game that has no impact on the season and giving them only a chance to be injured or do you want them resting and relaxing and getting re-energized by the mental break they all get?   Imagine someone going up for a dunk and another player trying hard to stop them and one of them hurting their hand on the rim or one of them twisting and ankle or even hurting a knee?   Is it that level of competition you really want to see in a game that has nothing to do with your team's chance to win a championship? Its about the fun, man, not defense and competition.  Fun for kids and young people.

Talking about getting hurt.  The dunk contest has gone crazy. If I was running the Clippers I would have had a heart attack watching Blake do that crazy stuff.  He could have been seriously injured (again).  Jumping a car. Ridiculous.  Sticking  his elbow in the rim.  Can you imagine him tearing up him arm doing that?  They need to take all props out of it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, the Dunk contest has not only gotten truly silly, but now they're doing things that are dangerous trying to call it showmanship. Blake actually hurt his elbow.  Imagine if he had dislocated the arm or something hanging on that rim?  Just stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Random Thoughts : In my opinion, no they don't have enough incentive to play hard in the ASG.  I can definitely see where you're coming from in terms of having a relaxing weekend and getting back to fun, but I think that home court is essential during the Finals and it would make players on teams that have a shot at the trophy play harder than they would otherwise.  I mean when i watch this game, i see only one half of the capabilities of the Associations talent.  Imagine how much better it would be if you saw big blocks by Dwight, steals by Rondo and CP3, and a game that's more reflective of the overall talent level that we as fans see every night as opposed to just scoring 170 points in a media-influenced, money-generating spectacle? 

Driscoll, I wasn't talking about enough incentive to win the all star game. I was talking about incentive for the regular season.   In the thread, the poster (forgot who - was it you?) said that the East teams would have more incentive to beat each other if they knew that their win was going to result in home court advantage against the west, as well.  I then asked:  do we not think that the teams at the top in the east don't have enough incentive to beat each other?  Do we really think the Heat need more incentive to beat the Celts or visa versa? 

That was the topic/question I was talking about.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Random Thoughts : Driscoll, I wasn't talking about enough incentive to win the all star game. I was talking about incentive for the regular season.   In the thread, the poster (forgot who - was it you?) said that the East teams would have more incentive to beat each other if they knew that their win was going to result in home court advantage against the west, as well.  I then asked:  do we not think that the teams at the top in the east don't have enough incentive to beat each other?  Do we really think the Heat need more incentive to beat the Celts or visa versa?  That was the topic/question I was talking about.

ohh, Yes that was me.  I definitely see where you got that from.  I didn't mean incentive for Miami to be the C's or vice versa.  I meant that I think Stern should institute something that makes the players of each time play on both sides of the ball in order to gain a certain incentive later down the road, such as home court advantage for whichever conference wins the ASG.  I think that home court advantage is huge in the Finals, and what better incentive to try than to win something that will have meaning during June.  It's strictly some major concern that each conference has that would make the players on each roster play harder and make the ASG an actual game, not a spectacle.   I just want, as I'm sure every NBA fan would, a game that means something, rather than a showcase full of turnovers and  half-as*ed defiensive sets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerman17. Show Lakerman17's posts

Enjoyed the ASG, the west got out early but LBJ got the east back into it. Some nice dunks and for what it is, good entertainment. Rihanna was great half time entertainment, take a note Black Eyed Peas, and congratz to Kobe for being a 4-time All Star MVP!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Enjoyed the ASG, the west got out early but LBJ got the east back into it. Some nice dunks and for what it is, good entertainment. Rihanna was great half time entertainment, take a note Black Eyed Peas, and congratz to Kobe for being a 4-time All Star MVP!
    Posted by Lakerman17[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that incredibly boring synopsis, troll!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Random Thoughts : ohh, Yes that was me.  I definitely see where you got that from.  I didn't mean incentive for Miami to be the C's or vice versa.  I meant that I think Stern should institute something that makes the players of each time play on both sides of the ball in order to gain a certain incentive later down the road, such as home court advantage for whichever conference wins the ASG.  I think that home court advantage is huge in the Finals, and what better incentive to try than to win something that will have meaning during June.  It's strictly some major concern that each conference has that would make the players on each roster play harder and make the ASG an actual game, not a spectacle.   I just want, as I'm sure every NBA fan would, a game that means something, rather than a showcase full of turnovers and  half-as*ed defiensive sets.

Got it.

I think some fans do just want to see a show.  Offense is the predominantly attractive part of the sport to the average (and especially the young) fan.  So, the game is all about offense.  Defense is a "team" thing, takes time to know how to play together (ie. practices), and involves a lot of roles (need role players).   So, what you ask is really just a dream that could never happen.  Unlike Baseball where the pitcher and infield and outfield all can play great D on their own, basketball requires more knowing where to be and where to help on D.   I just don't see the superstars having the practice time to do that.  In addition to them not wanting to hurt each other by taking hard fouls or going at each other hard knowing they could miss games for their own team by getting hurt.

So, I guess the game will just have to be the NBA's showcase of offensive talent and fun and not a serious basketball game.   But, I don't know of many all star games (high school or otherwise) that are anything but an honor and a fun showcase of talent rather than a serious game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, the Dunk contest has not only gotten truly silly, but now they're doing things that are dangerous trying to call it showmanship. Blake actually hurt his elbow.  Imagine if he had dislocated the arm or something hanging on that rim?  Just stupid.

I agree with you that the players should not be doing stunts that are dangerous.