Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON

..I just don't get the love affair. I see JON as being out of shpe, slow, and lacking emotion. Tommy is always raving about the "contributions" from Oneil. Will somebody please explain exactly how he is contributing more than a 10th -12th man off the bench?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON

In Response to Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON:
    [QUOTE]..I just don't get the love affair. I see JON as being out of shpe, slow, and lacking emotion. Tommy is always raving about the "contributions" from Oneil. Will somebody please explain exactly how he is contributing more than a 10th -12th man off the bench?
    Posted by jhol[/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding.  JO has been playing well and more importantly is improving as the games go on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Doc was effusive in his praise of JO after last night`s game. Said he checked Duncan and did a great job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I think right now doc and tommy are trying to pump him full of confidence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

In Response to Re: Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON:
    [QUOTE]I think right now doc and tommy are trying to pump him full of confidence.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

I'll buy that much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

JO is playing very well right now..his activity on the boards, hes not coming down with every one of them but hes tipping it into our guys hands. consistent jump shot..good on the ball defense..what do you want from him?? only stat board watchers will say hes useless, emotionless and lazy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

could have been worse if bum sheed around. I'll take JON.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

[QUOTE]JO is playing very well right now..his activity on the boards, hes not coming down with every one of them but hes tipping it into our guys hands. consistent jump shot..good on the ball defense..what do you want from him?? only stat board watchers will say hes useless, emotionless and lazy.
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

Is he giving us more than Erden did??? You mention tips to our players -- are you counting the ones that get tipped to our opponents? He is tipping a lot of balls because he can't get up and get two hands on it for a strong rebound? I hope you all are right and I'm dead wrong because I'm not foolish enough to think we don't need an effective JON. I'm just saying, he is getting superficial heaps of praise when he delivers an average performance! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

[QUOTE]could have been worse if bum sheed around. I'll take JON.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

I hated Sheed, and you will get no argument from me on that point

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

JON looks like he is barely interested in the game. Erden, with his bum shoulder, still contributed more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Is JON here to be a franchise center?  No, he's a role player signed to a realtively short and inexpensive contract.  If he can produce at 80% of his capabilities around playoff time, he is worth every cent of that contract.  Ainge chose to pursue every big man they could afford so they aren't shorthanded in the playoffs this year. 

What were the better options that were out there last year?  Haywood for five years and $55 mil?  A pipe dream FA pick up like David Lee or Marcus Camby?  The problem is that some posters like to look at things out of context or pretend that there is an overabundance of serviceable big men are there for the signing.    

I think we need to simmer down a bit here on JON. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

[QUOTE]Is JON here to be a franchise center?  No, he's a role player signed to a realtively short and inexpensive contract.  If he can produce at 80% of his capabilities around playoff time, he is worth every cent of that contract.  Ainge chose to pursue every big man they could afford so they aren't shorthanded in the playoffs this year.  What were the better options that were out there last year?  Haywood for five years and $55 mil?  A pipe dream FA pick up like David Lee or Marcus Camby?  The problem is that some posters like to look at things out of context or pretend that there is an overabundance of serviceable big men are there for the signing.     I think we need to simmer down a bit here on JON. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

If you go back to my original post, it is mainly about the heaps of praise that TH is giving him (and I didn't even mention Doc). I am not arguing the merits of his signing, or the possible return on the investment, I'm simply stating I don't think he is worthy of all the praise being dumped on him every night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    AFAIK, JON is a role player. And if a role player playes his role what more can you ask of him. With each game he gets better. Remember how "space cadet" he was in the first couple games at the beggining of the season and after the injury. And look at him now - day and night.
    Also, he's one of those players that do small things that mostly impossible to put on a stat sheet.
    As for his demeanor, accept that he is not PP or Nate.

AK

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

In Response to Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON:
    [QUOTE]..I just don't get the love affair. I see JON as being out of shpe, slow, and lacking emotion. Tommy is always raving about the "contributions" from Oneil. Will somebody please explain exactly how he is contributing more than a 10th -12th man off the bench?
    Posted by jhol[/QUOTE]  He does look a little alkward, but his team defense is better than Shaq or Erden, also plays the P&R defense better than the 2 put together.  His shot looks a little off still and he seems a little out of sorts, but generally he is in the correct position on the floor for the job he's supposed to be doing.  He basically split minutes with Shaq at the Center position and Shaq had one rebound, Jermaine had 5.  The upside is how much he could contribute if he gets used to his role and gains confidence and stays healthy.  He can make the 15 - 18 foot jump shot consistently, so the other teams center has to go out and try to guard him, that opens up the game for Pierce or Rondo or Ray to drive and get easy buckets, just because he's on the floor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think you are looking at his demeanor on the court.  I, too, have questioned his intensity but the guy is a player.  He's played in only 14 of our 34 games and he's only been back for, what 6 or 7 games now.

He's got to get his feet back under him but you can easily see how he challenges every shot defensively and has a decent post up game.  I think he will be a valuable component when we return to full strength.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]I think right now doc and tommy are trying to pump him full of confidence.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

Good thought, I can go along with that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Doc on EEI: "protect the rim and rebound"  PERIOD. JON is not in there to score. PERIOD. (Unless an easy dunk)....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON : Is he giving us more than Erden did??? You mention tips to our players -- are you counting the ones that get tipped to our opponents? He is tipping a lot of balls because he can't get up and get two hands on it for a strong rebound? I hope you all are right and I'm dead wrong because I'm not foolish enough to think we don't need an effective JON. I'm just saying, he is getting superficial heaps of praise when he delivers an average performance! 
    Posted by jhol[/QUOTE]

He is 3 times the player defensively that Erden is.  Plus I have never seen Erden shoot a jumper.  Don't get me wrong I long SE and think he will be a above average player at some time.  Now is not the time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON : If you go back to my original post, it is mainly about the heaps of praise that TH is giving him (and I didn't even mention Doc). I am not arguing the merits of his signing, or the possible return on the investment, I'm simply stating I don't think he is worthy of all the praise being dumped on him every night.
    Posted by jhol[/QUOTE]

I think you offered your opinion of the player (slow, out of shape, emotionless) as much as you've questioned the praise heaped on him.  You don't share Tommy's love, so to me that says you question the signing since you stated his contributions are minimal.  No disrespect, but I think my comments stand.  He was available and he fit the need for a big man and I think it's a fair question to ask what the alternatives were at the time.     

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

He looked OK to me last night. that last foul was classic "European Soccer I just got shot when I didnt even get touched" Ginobli. JON never even touched him ANYWHERE.

He looked better than the last game I can say that much for sure. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

He's long and protects the rim (blocks shots and clog up the lane); also saw he come down on his bad knee after getting fouled and it didn't buckle so the brace he's wearing seems to be working (game before last night); remember when KG was coming back from knee issues and he wouldn't go up with 2 hands for a rebound either, afraid to land and have the knee give out; the longer he goes with the knee staying sound, the better he's going to get and his offensive rythm will show up as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

JON has always showed glimpses of being a productive player. The problem is he always ends up hurt and regresses. He and TMac are well known for not being able to play due to some ailment/injury. He's not Greg Oden but playing through various nicks isn't his strong suit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sorry -- but I don't share Tommy's love for JON : You have got to be kidding.  JO has been playing well and more importantly is improving as the games go on.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

He's playing well? He's improving? Last night he fouled out with 4 pts and 5 rebs and 2 TO's in 22 minutes.  I wouldn't call this improvement.  He seems lost on the offensive side of the floor and can't put the ball in the hole on even the simplest of shots.  I'm not ready to totally write him off but once Perk suits up I predict JON to be riding the bench until the end of the season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

He's playing about 18 minutes a game.  If you double his stat totals (which would be 36 minutes) he would be averaging 10 points, 8 boards and 4 blocks.

Don't get me wrong I am not a huge JON fan he certainly isn't a bust out there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

I think he's fast becoming what Sheed was last year: I sluggish Center who is out there to give the bigs a rest and take up fouls.  Hopefully JON can turn it up and get comfortable, but I just don't see it happening once we have time at center being split by Shaq, Perk, Davis (going to the small lineup we used last year on the magic), JON and Semih.