Sorting Through The Trade Rumors!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Sorting Through The Trade Rumors!

A really good article on the C's present state of affairs,

Sorting through the trade rumors and speculation

Ainge - US Presswire

Take a step back. Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be ok

So, just to recap (deep breath):

The Celtics and Lakers talked about a Rondo for Howard trade but that was before Rondo got hurt but wait that never happened according to the Lakers GM but GMs are supposed to deny everything so whatever and then the Kevin Garnett to the Clippers deal resurfaced this time adding DeAndre Jordan to the Eric Bledsoe package except that the Clippers organization is split on that one and we aren't even sure if KG would waive his no-trade clause and wait, nope, he wouldn't waive his no trade clause, well, probably not unless Paul Pierce was also traded and I guess that idea was mixed into the rumors last night as well and hey, we all wake up this morning and find out that the Celtics are "salivating" over the thought of Josh Smith in green at the cost of Green and Bass but who knows if Danny Ferry would accept that offer of it is just Danny Ainge annoyingly calling him saying "will you do it now? how about now? now?"

(catches breath)

You know that feeling you get when you've been sitting down for too long and you jump up too quickly and the world just sort of seems to shift under your feet until you get your bearings? That's essentially been the last 18 hours.

If you were to believe every rumor, I suppose we could end up with a lineup of Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Josh Smith, DeAndre Jordan, and Dwight Howard with a bench of Jason TerryCourtney Lee, and whomever we could get for Paul Pierce.

Or you could happily believe in none of these rumors and assume that nothing is going to happen at the deadline and that the team will keep on rolling with their new-found unity right through to Banner 18.

Or just about anything in between could happen.

Really, we have no clue and I'm not sure Ainge has any realistic idea either. Just the universal "it depends." It certainly seems like he's open to just about any idea, but thinking about something and even having talks about something is not the same as actually doing it.

Some bigger picture perspective first. Let us ask ourselves "why this is all coming out right now?" Did Ainge just put up an "open for business" sign in Houston and let anyone with a microphone listen in to all his conversations? (Hint, that's a rhetorical question)

The real reason all this is coming out now is logistics. All of the NBA and most of the media is converged together in Houston for the All Star weekend and there are tons of reporters hanging out with GMs and "team officials" and there's plenty of talk. We're talking gossip city.

Rumors that are weeks and even months old are being tossed out there for one reason or another. Everyone's got an angle and every rumor is leaked for one reason or another. Josh Smith obviously wants out of Atlanta so his agent is probably doing everything he can to stir up trade talks. Someone floated the rumor about the Celtics and Lakers but when you hear it from someone else, apparently those conversations were long ago. So everything his skewed depending on your perspective.

Think about how much the landscape changes from week to week. This whole year has been a roller coaster with high highs and low lows and nobody's really sure what's around the next curve. Rumors that might have made sense weeks ago make a lot less sense right now.

Of course rumors make for "good copy" too (believe me, I can see the spike in traffic when stuff like this happens - doesn't mean I'm covering it for that reason, but I see it). So anyone with a story to write is going to jump on the juiciest piece of meat and run with it like a starving dog.

Ainge likely has countless options before him and we've probably heard of only 20% of them at best. He's probably got dozens of other things he'd like to do but will have trouble convincing other GM's to do. And that doesn't even cover all the free agents and short term replacement player options.

The easiest thing to do would be to do nothing and add a few live bodies to the roster - if only to help the team practice and eat some garbage time minutes. But does that put us in the best position to win now and in the future? How do you balance meeting the team needs with preserving the legacy of our stars? How much does fan loyalty and emotional attachment factor into the equation (since they are, after all, the paying customer)?

When it all boils down, I can see why Danny's hair is white. This is a hard job and there's a lot at stake. He pulled off a masterful offseason in 2007 and has done the best he could to keep this core competing for Championships ever since (opinions vary on how good a job he's done). Seems like every 6 months he has to make a decision on if he should break up the core or run it back. Eventually the run will come to an end, but who makes that call and when it will be made is not exactly clear.

So, what's next? What will Ainge do this week? What SHOULD he do? I haven't the foggiest. I guess I'm just glad it isn't me making the decisions.

We've got 5 more days of this craziness, so buckle up (or find yourself a nice cozy hole to stick your head into).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Sorting Through The Trade Rumors!

The point of the article being, DA may not even know what he plans to do at the present time! He is still trying to identify all possible options, before sitting down to make a final decision or decisions! 

Tighten your seatbelts C's fans! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

LA Times:

Gary Sacks, the Clippers' vice president of basketball operations, didn't mention any names, but said "every team has called me" and that "it's my job to call them back and to listen." "I haven't called anybody to say, 'Hey, we have Eric Bledsoe and would you like him?' Or, 'We have DeAndre Jordan or we have anybody and would you want them?' That's not where I am right now with this team," Sacks said in a phone interview from Houston on Saturday.

"That's not where we are." Sacks said Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro and his staff have "the roster to win." "It's up to the coaching staff to figure out a way to get those guys to win games," Sacks said. "If they don't feel like we have enough talent, then that's their problem."

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

We will sign a couple of guys to the minimum....that's it.

You may be right.  They need to do more than what you suggest and that means a big man to help KG.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Garnett said on Saturday morning that he has no intentions of waiving his no-trade clause, though the notion of playing for the Clippers could eventually be intriguing to him not only because it's a chance to contend for a title but because he lives in Malibu, Calif. during the offseason. A person with knowledge of Garnett's position said he's unlikely to change that stance on the no-trade clause unless the Celtics trade small forward Paul Pierce and it's made crystal clear that the Celtics as he knows them are done. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of his situation. The fact that the Celtics pursued the Clippers is telling, too, as Boston general manager Danny Ainge is clearly contemplating a major move before the deadlineUSA Today Sports

Rumors tagsBOSTON CELTICSLOS ANGELES CLIPPERSPAUL PIERCETRADEKEVIN GARNETT  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

So this is how these things go. A trade rumor starts. GM's deny it, because they ALWAYS deny trade rumors. Nothing good could ever come from admitting that you're shopping your star players. Then the rumor pops up again. More denials. Trades in the NBA run a very similar path.

Kevin Garnett trade rumors have their own little wrinkle. KG is one of the most loyal players out there. He hates change. He had to be convinced to come to Boston and if the Celtics/Clippers trade is going to go down, he'd have to be convinced hard to go to L.A. (and waive his no trade clause).

Clippers superstars Blake Griffin and Chris Paul started the wooing today: It was pure coincidence but it certainly raised a few eyebrows among the assembled media. As the NBA All-Stars from the East and West gathered on a makeshift dais to sit on director's chairs before practice on Saturday, Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul and forward Blake Griffin were seated next to Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett.

Paul and Griffin were no strangers to the rumors as they sat down next to Garnett. "I think people are just talking," Paul said. "At the end of the day, who wouldn't want to have Kevin Garnett on their team? I talk about that guy all day, every day, his intensity to the game and how he plays the game. He's a special player. That's a guy right there that I looked up to for a long time. Me and Chauncey (Billups) are really close and he and Chauncey are really close and everything I know about him is that he's a very loyal guy." "I love the way he competes as a player," Griffin said. "He's a very, very serious competitor. His level of professionalism is off the charts. Every game, I've heard he's the most intense guy to be around. That's tough to do to play as many games as he's played and still have that level of intensity." As much as Griffin likes the Clippers' roster, he made it clear that there is certainly room for improvement on the team and sometimes personnel moves are a part of that improvement process. "I think we need to be better," Griffin said. "I think we have enough talent to be a championship contender ... Sometimes you have to plant the seeds and let them grow and all that but with the pieces we have now is the time to continually keep attacking and make those moves to be a championship team."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

yup

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Garnett: It's a business   Takes trade rumors like professional   February 17, 2013   

HOUSTON Danny Ainge is known as an active player in just about any trade market, but this week the Celtics president of basketball operations’ fondness for kicking tires has accelerated as Thursday's trade deadline approaches.

Yesterday's hot rumor involved a Yahoo! report that had Ainge discussing a swap of Kevin Garnett and the Clippers DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe.

Garnett, who would have to give permission to be included in any deal, said yesterday he will not waive his trade clause.

No. Why would I come back to help this team go further, only to be set up to have change? he said. That's just from me, though. No, if it was up to me, I would live and die green, all day.

Garnett also said he has not been approached by Celtics management about potential deals.

I'm not aware of when Danny talks to teams, he said, sounding puzzled by the sudden proliferation of trade talk. Trying to see what you're trying to get at. Do I need to call Danny right now? If my name's out there, it's not the first time, right?

It's always a business. I'm just speaking from my side, said Garnett. Trade talks are a part of me, a part of the business side of the league. I'm no different. It is what it is. But at this point Danny hasn’t said anything to me, and I haven't had any talks with Doc (Rivers) either. Things for me have been the status quo. I just woke up and hear ya’ll talking, so maybe I need to get on the phone.

A Celtics source confirmed that the team has indeed been in talks with the Clippers, but disputed the players involved in the Yahoo! report. The source claimed the Clippers were interested in putting together a package involving forward Caron Butler, not Jordan and Bledsoe, for Garnett.

The Celtics are not interested in Butler, the source said.

On Friday night a league source confirmed a CBS Sports report that the Celtics had discussed sending a package headlined by Rajon Rondo to the Lakers for Dwight Howard. Rondo’s surgery to repair a torn ACL seems to have derailed those talks.

But as Garnett can attest, it's a crazy time of year to be an NBA player.

Every individual is different, he said. At some point people think about trades, especially when it's out of your control. I'm not everybody and I can't speak for everybody. I'm not one who wants to do any change. I haven't been spoken to about change.

Call for help

Garnett does hope that by the time the Celtics reconvene in Denver for Tuesday's game the Celtics add a player or two to a depleted roster.

I'm hoping that we have something, he said. We don't have a lot of manpower, though we do have a group of fighters who are willing to go out and play hard. We'll see.

A name to keep in mind is Jannero Pargo, the 32-year-old guard whose second 10-day contract with Atlanta ended Tuesday. In addition to a player who has played well against the Celtics over the years, he is a streak shooter with ball-handling skills. That, of course, is precisely what the Celtics need.

It helps that Pargo's skills are reminiscent of Leandro Barbosa, though he's not as explosive.

According to a league source, the Celtics have investigated, though another countered that, Right now he's just one of a number of names (for the Celtics).

One name that appears to be almost completely off the Celtics radar is Delonte West, whose behavioral issues reached such a state of critical mass that the Dallas Mavericks released him last fall.

West appears to have hurt himself further by pulling out of a stated intention to join the Texas Legends of the NBADL.

West was willing to play for the Mavericks affiliate until Dallas ownerMark Cuban signed veteran guard Mike James. Instead of showcasing himself, West decided against a D-League experience.

Doesn't he realize there are 30 teams in the league? the source said incredulously.

Green changes mind

Gerald Green had sworn off of dunking contests as far back as 2007, when he won the NBA dunk title in his last season as a Celtic. But last night’s contest was too hard to resist.

I know I said that was it, especially to all (of the Boston media), said Green, now a Pacers guard. I said I didn’t need it, I was moving on. But how can I not when it’s in my hometown? My family is here. Where else could I do it but here. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If Cs plan to make major trades, they will likely start today! As articles above point out, it would be very difficult for a team to make one or two blockbuster trades in a three day span. Especially with the complexities the C's face, i.e. KGs no trade clause. 

Will the C's force KGs hand and trade PP? Will the C's trade Rondo for a key piece, keep the present team together, and make one more title run? OR will the C's simply pick-up hand me down players and or NBA hopefuls, and stay the present course?

I am guessing the answers to some or all of these questions will become transparent later today! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

If Cs plan to make major trades, they will likely start today! As articles above point out, it would be very difficult for a team to make one or two blockbuster trades in a three day span. Especially with the complexities the C's face, i.e. KGs no trade clause. 

Will the C's force KGs hand and trade PP? Will the C's trade Rondo for a key piece, keep the present team together, and make one more title run? OR will the C's simply pick-up hand me down players and or NBA hopefuls, and stay the present course?

I am guessing the answers to some or all of these questions will become transparent later today! 

If anything were to happen i doubt it would be today. Stern would not want AS game upstaged.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to user_3952186's comment:

+1

The Cs could have made that move 2-weeks ago, OR at the beginning of the All Star break, in an effort to get new players acclimated! 

DA is exploring other options! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Rumors: Clippers, Jazz to discuss Bledsoe-for-Millsap trade? + Hawks getting many call for Josh Smith. bit.ly/vIcV9Q 8:43am - 17 Feb 13

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In sports,  the "BLOCKBUSTER" IS THE MOST EXCITING OF THEM ALL !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In the end, I think we do make some trades, but none involving Garnett or Pierce.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:

In the end, I think we do make some trades, but none involving Garnett or Pierce.

The C's have to move PP to get KG to waive his no trade clause! Peirce's trade would almost have to take place today, to have time to complete KGs deal to the Clips!

At the present time there are no trade rumors, that I have read, involving PP! 

Rondo for a piece or pieces may be the best available option, for the C's to make one more run at a title! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

+1

The Cs could have made that move 2-weeks ago, OR at the beginning of the All Star break, in an effort to get new players acclimated! 

Not saying DA isn't exploring other options - that's his job. Just believe he will not do anything to break up current unit, which has a very positive chemistry and can do attitude, other than add some minor pieces to chew up minutes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

+1

Not saying DA isn't exploring other options - that's his job. Just believe he will not do anything to break up current unit, which has a very positive chemistry and can do attitude, other than add some minor pieces to chew up minutes.

The down side of doing nothing would likely be a short playoff run and the C's exercising their option on PP this summer. This would likely result in PP exploring other options. A by-product of that may be KGs retirement! 

Having both these guys walk away, a few months after the trade deadline, after a short playoff run, and getting nothing in return, would sting a bit! 

With that stated, you may be right! The C's may only add a few hand me down players and or D-Leaguers to get them through the season.

It will be interesting to witness DAs actions over the course of the next few days! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I don't see us trading anybody unless it is Melo,Collins or a pick,that doesn't seem likely either. The biggest name we would/will get is a buyout we''l probablly get a D leaguer or FA either way. We don't need a major piece we need 10-20 minutes combined max from 2 players. We  need is 3 spots big,pg and sf/pf,not in that order. Picking up a big man of any talent in late Febuary would be a miracle and I'd rather go with our collection than bring in a big slow dork. The pg by comitee is working so far a guy like Pargo or give Mack a shot will help. An uptempo tweener that can play sg,sf or pf for a few minutes a  guy like Downs, R Butler or another Dleaguer. We could get lucky with one of these guys like we did Mikal Peitrius last year any way I like the way we've been playing and I feel continuing this style will give us a legit shot more than adding some bodies.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

I don't see us trading anybody unless it is Melo,Collins or a pick,that doesn't seem likely either. The biggest name we would/will get is a buyout we''l probablly get a D leaguer or FA either way. We don't need a major piece we need 10-20 minutes combined max from 2 players. We  need is 3 spots big,pg and sf/pf,not in that order. Picking up a big man of any talent in late Febuary would be a miracle and I'd rather go with our collection than bring in a big slow dork. The pg by comitee is working so far a guy like Pargo or give Mack a shot will help. An uptempo tweener that can play sg,sf or pf for a few minutes a  guy like Downs, R Butler or another Dleaguer. We could get lucky with one of these guys like we did Mikal Peitrius last year any way I like the way we've been playing and I feel continuing this style will give us a legit shot more than adding some bodies.  

Bledsoe is that good! I can see why DA is exploring that option! He is a star in the making! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

Bledsoe is that good! I can see why DA is exploring that option! He is a star in the making! 

+1 Bledsoe is going to be a major star. It seems to be a domino effect, if they trade Pierce then KG will waive his no trade clause and then if KG waives his no trade clause and we get Bledsoe then it doesnt make much sense to keep Rondo and Bledsoe so then it looks like Rondo would be traded. So I can see why Danny would decide to stand pat because moving one major part would most likely mean moving all major parts, but It's going to be interesting to see what DA does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to celtic213's comment:

+1 Bledsoe is going to be a major star. It seems to be a domino effect, if they trade Pierce then KG will waive his no trade clause and then if KG waives his no trade clause and we get Bledsoe then it doesnt make much sense to keep Rondo and Bledsoe so then it looks like Rondo would be traded. So I can see why Danny would decide to stand pat because moving one major part would most likely mean moving all major parts, but It's going to be interesting to see what DA does.

I agree 100% This is the most certain way to hasten the rebuild process! 

The NBA is a business! Time to put on your big boy pants DA and make some tough business decisions! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Ainge has made moves to clear roster spots for back-up players, not so much as positioning the Celtics for a major trade, unless it's one that changes the team dynamics.  The summer seems a more likely a time for bigger things to happen.