State of the NBA - today vs yesteryear

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

State of the NBA - today vs yesteryear

Okay - so I am a major sports junky and have been all my life, but for quite a few years I have found the NBA completely unappealing and have actually worried about whether I am just getting too old too young.

But ... today I watched an NBA-TV replay of a 1986Celts/Bulls playoff game and it all became so clear : the quality of the game is just not anywhere close to what it was in years past. Seeing Bird, McHale, Parish, Walton, DJ, Danny & Co functioning like a well-oiled machine reminded me of what I enjoy most about sports - teamwork. The collective talent level was certainly impressive, but it was how they played together that brought the fans to their feet. Today's "look-at-me-me-me" NBA pales in comparison.

Oh btw - that Ainge kid was a player ... just sayin'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: State of the NBA - today vs yesteryear

I think the talent is much more deluded today than it was years ago.

And the refs were better then. Lebron wouldn't be able to get away with taking 4 steps like he does today.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

LeBron is maturing and leading the League to a better place in that he is commited to defense and plays a helatious one at that; he has turned into a great passer, strong outside shooter, and oh yeah, he can still throw down the power dunk. But LeBron really is playing a team game, understanding when he has to take over and when he can facilitate and to reiterate or repeat myself; his defensive prowess is hellatious! Hate to praise LeBron since he is on the enemies team, but that is really who he has become and he has indeed made this a better League. By the way, the Big Three Celtics era really started this, and LeBron had to adapt to win and to his credit he did.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i purchased a dvd collection of all six games of that series several years back. those were well-spent dollars. there is an eight or ten minute stretch in either the first or second game where celtics team play and execution are just off the charts. and sure enough, danny was right in the middle of it. larry must not have had time or inclination to get that mullet 'do of his trimmed either before or during the series because that sucker was wide open. oh yeah.  

bp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE  ....the NBA game pales in comparison in my opinion....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Lebron is a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsl36MnOqY

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Have to agree with the authors opinion... game today, with some exceptions, just not as well played or entertaining.

The Lebron thing cant be overlooked either.. he's upped his game and deserves lots of credit for that. However, Lebrons star calls from the ref's dwarf anyone elses in NBA history.. and for that reason his place in history is suspect.

I equate it to the HGH era in baseball. A-Rod, Barry Bonds et al wont make the HOF and many disregard their records based upon their purposeful cheating. Lebron on the other hand indirectly cheats by virtue of allowance from the NBAs refs.

Shaq used to get away with murder in the lane, lowering his shoulder and plowing over opponents. MJ got calls if you were within 2 feet of him... but never before have I seen a player get away with so many infractions thats its become disgusting to watch. 

Not just a 3 step travel, but try on 4-5-6 steps and often enough to make one scratch their head and wonder wth is going on here

Not just questionable charges, but flagrant stiff arms and bull rushes go unnoticed

A boisterous, chronic complainer whom the refs turn the other cheek to...unlike the reast of the NBA

A big minute player always in the middle of the action that can go on 3-4-5 game stretches without even having one foul called against him

How much would Lebrons game suffer is there wasnt such a lopsided playing field? Hes a great player now but.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

The old timer stars also got alot of calls...rookies all got screwed by the refs....if you had a rep as a tough guy, you usually got away with it...in fact, the league was much more physical then than it is now...if you drove the lane like James does now, he'd get smashed to the ground all night long....fouls or no fouls, retribution for going down the lane was a common thing...the league is vastly more diluted now than it was then, but fewer underage guys we let in, so most players were mature and had almost full college careers worth of coaching...a totally different game indeed...the finals were usually very tough and very exciting...just a different game...BUT...great players are great players no matter when they played...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I have witnessed 5 distinct (IMO) phases of the NBA.

1. Yes. I watched Bill Russell, Sam Jones, KC Jones, Satch Sanders, etc., at the old Boston Garden. Russell vs Chamberlain.  Better yet, Willis Reed, Clyde Frasier, Bill Bradley, Dave Debussuer, Earl the Pearl, Cassy Russell, etc.  I would play for hours pretending I was them.  Mimicking their shooting style.  I was awed and mesmerized.  But I didn't really understand the game.

2. Then there was a period of transition.  A DMZ haze of boring basketball without endearing stars, other than Dr. J.  The ABA and Marvin Barnes doing coke on the Celtics bench.  Disco. I was more into girls anyway.  I didn't care about the NBA.

3. Then Bird and Magic stepped on the court and instantly revived the NBA. Their personal dynamics, contrast, and competitiveness transformed the NBA into an exciting International sport. This was like the Russell days. Real tough basketball by athletes that loved the game. Larry Bird proclaiming that he would play for nothing when his contract came up for renewal. he just wanted to play.

4. Then we regressed into a prolonged period tatoos, selfishness and bad off-court behavior that followed Allen Iverson into the sport.  Hip Hop music and WWE like entertainment to all star weekend. Players became selfish on and off the court.  Had their own coaches fired. Big money and big egos and big cry babies and big demands, like Sprewell and his $14M that wouldn't even buy his kids a new pair of shoes.

5. then today. Selfish players like, Gilbert Arenas, Stephen Jackson, Monte Ellis, J.R. Smith and yes Josh Smith (Kobe is in a league all by himself). are not nearly as coveted as they were in the past.  Teams are beginning to pass on selfish stars and build rosters based on on the team concept of the Magic Bird years of the mid 80s again.  A new breed of superstars, like Chris Paul, Lebron James, Durant, The Pacers, understand that to win, you need team trust, participation, leadership and chemistry. (stars without chemistry is a losing proposition - right L.A.?)  

I think we're early in this last phase, and of course there are many exceptions in my defined phases, but I see the league coming around again - for the better - and I for one am as excited as ever to see what type of team Stevens and Danny will put together over the next few years. I'll be buying an NBA pass for the first time just to watch, witness and analyze this team develop.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

On a subject dealing with the past the old timers love to rave about the GOOD OLD DAYS. Yep, in words dripping with nostalgia they like to point out how  the game of their youth was so much better. Ah yes the GOOD OLD DAYS. With each passing year the reverence for your youthfull past grows in stature.Sort of an oldtimers brotherhood. In this discussion about the state of the NBA the nostalgia of the past completely ignores the facts that the NBA now is far better than the NBA of the 1950s-60 and equal to the NBA of the 80s and 90s.

Seems

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

there is a HUGE difference in the entire basketball development system between the 1980s and now.  in the 1980s MOST went to 4 years of college, NONE were insanely overpaid and the result was that the players were more well grounded.  you had a few head cases but we've never had more than in the last 10 years.

nowadays 19 year old kids come out with zero intellectual maturity and vast SKILL SET immaturity issues and join the NBA, which should be re-named the NATIONAL BABYSITTING ASSOCIATION.  gestation period to get a complete player after the 10th pick is up to 5 years or more.

look at rondo- he's as incomplete as can be, a total head case heading into his seventh year.  chumps like melo would not have been worth a cold cup of coffee back in the 1980s- they would have been a benched ball hog and either learned how to play within a team concept or just get bounced around the league, not cherished for the fool's gold that he is.

i could go on and on.  the deterioration of the big man is also a huge decline in the modern game.  there is no other reason for it than lazyness at the lowest levels of development- it's easiest to develop 2/3 combos than 5's and so it is.  the game is not the same without the rivalries involving dominant big men.  back in the day more good teams than not had a SOLID 15/10 to 18/10 double double guy in the middle.  nowadays there are about three or four big men who deliver 17 and 10 as #5's.  that's pathetic

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

The Cowens/Hondo fast break teams followed by the Bird teams were all a joy to watch... Team ball at its finest... Magic running the Lakers show... The Frazier/Reed Knicks finding the open man... Lots of great team ball and not so much 1on1..although it was surely present

Todays game has superior athletes as a whole, no doubt... but the game has suffered... Very rarely does a coach have the command he once did.. Theres no "Im the boss" going on, not with prima dona multimillionaires in their early 20's with agents telling them the owners more likely to boot the coach than the player.

Star ball has something to do with it as well as ESPN & the NBA marketing machine.  Also with players (& stars especially) jumping ship routinely its hard to develop a real rivalry or loyalty among fans.

Now theres alot of truth in what people watch during their younger years leaves a bigger impression on them than later on... So watching NBA ball since the 60's, its quite possible Im gonna have a bias for the 60s-70s ball... more impressionable then... nothing else mattered  other than the game... I get it.. 

On the other hand... theres still no Russell/Chamberlain... Bird/magic... stopping Kareem... Oscar/West...  the Lakers/Celtics just hasnt been the same, not even in 2010... Knicks/Celts not really.... Lebron leaving Cleve to join an all star team.... KG & Ray joining the C's ... yea that was fun but its not the way things were meant to be... not how to build a team, suffer thru the lean years and win it all....and keep winning

Now its like playing scrabble.... one team one year....then dump all the tiles in the middle and pick a new team for next year... the system stinks and the game is right along side  of it.. How nice was it watching a team stay together & develop the chemistrty and knowhow of Cowens/Hondo/JoJo Celtics of the 70's?... Their fast break was a thing of beauty//  Cant get that when your core pieces are always changing

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to SeemsToMe's comment:

On a subject dealing with the past the old timers love to rave about the GOOD OLD DAYS. Yep, in words dripping with nostalgia they like to point out how  the game of their youth was so much better. Ah yes the GOOD OLD DAYS. With each passing year the reverence for your youthfull past grows in stature.Sort of an oldtimers brotherhood. In this discussion about the state of the NBA the nostalgia of the past completely ignores the facts that the NBA now is far better than the NBA of the 1950s-60 and equal to the NBA of the 80s and 90s.

Seems

Nope...not even close...TEAMS used to win game sand titles...even the old Lakers with Wilt and 76rs with him were far better TEAMS than the last set of Lakers to win or even the last time we won....sorry you don't think so, but you just didn't see...but...enjoy this new game full of nonsense and crap sold as team play....

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Now its like playing scrabble.... one team one year....then dump all the tiles in the middle and pick a new team for next year... the system stinks and the game is right along side  of it.. How nice was it watching a team stay together & develop the chemistrty and knowhow of Cowens/Hondo/JoJo Celtics of the 70's?... Their fast break was a thing of beauty//  Cant get that when your core pieces are always changing

that is a huge factor- free agent prostitution and the overpayment of players in general has led to teams abandoning dedication to a set of concrete players and now things change on the fly each year.  how fun can it be to watch a team with 7 new members each year!!  i had a hard time getting used to the few changes made each year in the 80s on the celts.

so you don't have the team loyalty but the other HUGE FACTOR is that rivalries are almost DEAD- you can't have a fierce rivalry where teams just want to rip each others' faces off like the c's and pistons and c's and philly to lesser extent when it's a turnstyle of new personnel each year.

and the transient problem has gotten so bad it's impossible for me to watch college ball any more.   i don't have time to learn an entire new team each year for the top teams.  i mean honestly- at the most you get two years with a good player and then done.  most are gone within a eyar if they can hear the lottery bell ringing

23. This post has been removed.