Stevens...we need an identity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Stevens...we need an identity

I think before we can even think about certain players to trade for or draft we have to determine what style Stevens likes to play.

I cannot figure out what type of team the Celtics are because the lineups change so much and I think Stevens is just trying to figure out the best way to play.

I just see a collection of players...are we a running team, halfcourt team, big/small team. I guess we will not know until he's able to draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

Re: Stevens...we need an identity

I guess that's individual player development for ya

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think before we can even think about certain players to trade for or draft we have to determine what style Stevens likes to play.

I cannot figure out what type of team the Celtics are because the lineups change so much and I think Stevens is just trying to figure out the best way to play.

I just see a collection of players...are we a running team, halfcourt team, big/small team. I guess we will not know until he's able to draft.

[/QUOTE]

I think we'll be a running team but the players will have to be multi-talented when it comes to position flexiblity. Stevens likes players that can play down low but also pop out to the perimeter for a shot as well as both defend and offend. We will be a quick team that can hang in there for offensive rebounds and still get back on D unlike the Doc coached teams of the last few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Why do we need an identity now?  

We are in the rebuilding mode.  Developing players, testing chemistry, improving technique.

An identity is established when you have stablized the team roster and know what the strengths and weaknesses of the individual players, what they are capable of and how that translates to team play.

I'm guessing that almost half the roster will have changed before we start the season next year. Then it will be time to establish and commit to an identity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I just started reading Malcolm Gladwell's new book David vs. Goliath and one of the early interesting stories involves the strategy of the full court press in basketball. He tells a story of a youth girls basketball team that is fully dedidcated to that strategy and with minimal basketball talent finds lots of success.

Essentially the thought is that the in-bounds pass is a huge point of vulnerability for a team. You have five secound to inbound and you get to play 5 on 4. Only in basketball is 2/3 of the court conceeded to the opposing team on defense. Think about football, its a game of inches. If you dedicate yourself fully to the strategy, you conceed nothing starting from the inbounds pass. You don't guard the inbounder and so each of the four guys can play between their man and the ball, denying the pass. The fifth man plays a safety type roll, likely beween the furthest advanced offensive player and the basket. It's a high risk strategy, but its an effective strategy for "david" team going up against a "goliath." Think about it. Why play a choreographed half court game when that just plays into the better team's strenghts? A disruptive strategy, though risky is more effective.

So the Celtics. I believe Brad is the right guy to employ this type of system. He is calm, intelligent and an effective communicator. He can motivate these guys to play this intense style of basketball. The fact that we do not have a superstar (outside of rondo), a pre-defined system, or a core starting lineup allows us to play 15 men deep, which this style of play requires.

Another reason why this should be our identity is because we already have the best full court press guard in the league in Avery Bradley. Wallace fits this mold. Jeff, Brandon and Courtney are all atheltic enough to be disruptive. 

All it takes is buy-in to the system.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

We are tanking, we are Celtics.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

This team led by Rondo with Sullinger, Fav, and KO rotating at the 5 and 4 and Crawford and Bradley rotating at the 2 with Green at the three ,  is just a year or so away from being competative again.  If we pick up a true all star with out draft choices and players by draft or trade , then we become a threat to win it all.  We are not that far away with a bit of luck.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to romneywins' comment:

[QUOTE]

This team led by Rondo with Sullinger, Fav, and KO rotating at the 5 and 4 and Crawford and Bradley rotating at the 2 with Green at the three ,  is just a year or so away from being competative again.  If we pick up a true all star with out draft choices and players by draft or trade , then we become a threat to win it all.  We are not that far away with a bit of luck.

By draft or trade, say we throw in some first round choices with a player or two.  Like KG said anything can happen.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that's close to impossible.

When was the last time a team used garbage to get a true All-Star?

[/QUOTE]

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

the identity of team (Rondo) has yet to play a game this season. Stevens has overachieved thus far.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why do we need an identity now?  

We are in the rebuilding mode.  Developing players, testing chemistry, improving technique.

An identity is established when you have stablized the team roster and know what the strengths and weaknesses of the individual players, what they are capable of and how that translates to team play.

I'm guessing that almost half the roster will have changed before we start the season next year. Then it will be time to establish and commit to an identity.

[/QUOTE]

Well you need an identity to determine who to trade, who to sign, who to draft. Ainge and Stevens may already know but it's hard to tell. He doesn't have to have one now but as a fan I have no idea who should stay and who should go. We knew with Doc who wouldn't play and who wouldn't be signed. 

I guess until at least one move is made we will not have an idea.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the identity of team (Rondo) has yet to play a game this season. Stevens has overachieved thus far.

[/QUOTE]

Underachieved you mean.

It took Brad a while to figure out that Bradley is not a point guard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Finally someone figured that out about AB...Doc couldn't.

Sully and Crawford are balling. We never could've said that with Doc.

I like Stevens because he's giving everyone a chance to be who there are...unlike you know who.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

We're not going to have an identity until the last couple of months of the season. Rondo has just been cleared for practice and then he'll get back in a couple of weeks and won't be up to speed for another couple of weeks. Meanwhile Stevens is doing an excellent job staying within striking distance while trying different looks and combinations getting the team ready for when Rondo comes back. A 2-3 game winning streak put a numbers of team from 10th to 4th seed in the east

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I plan on it all season long. You can exhalt our slow start as a harbinger for a trip to the lottery, but we're not going to be in the lottery unless both Atl and BKY miss the playoffs. We're the 9th seed right now and only 2 games behind the 5th seed Atl. It's early, we may still make the playoffs and get a lottery pick. I'm confident of my prediction of us making the playoffs and hopeful of the lottery as a bonus. I know seedings in Nov/Dec don't mean squat but, they do represent how there is no basis for an assumption being in the lottery is a forgone conclusion.

HAHAHA

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just started reading Malcolm Gladwell's new book David vs. Goliath and one of the early interesting stories involves the strategy of the full court press in basketball. He tells a story of a youth girls basketball team that is fully dedidcated to that strategy and with minimal basketball talent finds lots of success.

Essentially the thought is that the in-bounds pass is a huge point of vulnerability for a team. You have five secound to inbound and you get to play 5 on 4. Only in basketball is 2/3 of the court conceeded to the opposing team on defense. Think about football, its a game of inches. If you dedicate yourself fully to the strategy, you conceed nothing starting from the inbounds pass. You don't guard the inbounder and so each of the four guys can play between their man and the ball, denying the pass. The fifth man plays a safety type roll, likely beween the furthest advanced offensive player and the basket. It's a high risk strategy, but its an effective strategy for "david" team going up against a "goliath." Think about it. Why play a choreographed half court game when that just plays into the better team's strenghts? A disruptive strategy, though risky is more effective.

So the Celtics. I believe Brad is the right guy to employ this type of system. He is calm, intelligent and an effective communicator. He can motivate these guys to play this intense style of basketball. The fact that we do not have a superstar (outside of rondo), a pre-defined system, or a core starting lineup allows us to play 15 men deep, which this style of play requires.

Another reason why this should be our identity is because we already have the best full court press guard in the league in Avery Bradley. Wallace fits this mold. Jeff, Brandon and Courtney are all atheltic enough to be disruptive. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL. Commitment to a full court press may work for a youth girls basketball team "with minimal talent". (or even Men's college hoops).  

Try that with accomplished athletes in the NBA and you would get torched 9 out of 10 times on the other end with a fast break dunk.  In addition, your players exhaust themselves on D and negatively affecting their offensive ability.  Subbing exery 10-15 minutes means that you are playing your worst players half the game.    

That is why a full court press is seldom used in the NBA, except to commit a quick foul or more cautiouslky to slow the pace of the game, not necessarily to steal the ball.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL. Commitment to a full court press may work for a youth girls basketball team "with minimal talent". (or even Men's college hoops).  

Try that with accomplished athletes in the NBA and you would get torched 9 out of 10 times on the other end with a fast break dunk.  In addition, your players exhaust themselves on D and negatively affecting their offensive ability.  Subbing exery 10-15 minutes means that you are playing your worst players half the game.    

That is why a full court press is seldom used in the NBA, except to commit a quick foul or more cautiouslky to slow the pace of the game, not necessarily to steal the ball.  

[/QUOTE]

Pitino tried it. For about a month.