Still missing Perk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

Still missing Perk?

I'm not going to bash Perk (too much) because I always liked him, BUT, he was just an average player with 8+ years under his belt, just not getting any better. Take a look at the stat line from last nights game: 4 pts-5 Rebs- 6 fouls - 18:26 min. played. We can definitely live without that! Seems like he would be a nice fit for OKC, with little if any offense expected from him, but when he doesn't deliver on the defensive end, are they getting what they traded for?

Hard to argue with success as OKC is winning these days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

Re: Still missing Perk?

I watched the game last night and although Perk didn't light up the stat sheet and was a -5, that team just looked tougher and better with him out there.  I mean they just beat up Miami last night and it remains to be seen who got the better of the trade.  I watched Perk play defense and the guy is nasty down there.  Get well soon Shaquille!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Still missing Perk?:
    [QUOTE]I watched the game last night and although Perk didn't light up the stat sheet and was a -5, that team just looked tougher and better with him out there.  I mean they just beat up Miami last night and it remains to be seen who got the better of the trade.  I watched Perk play defense and the guy is nasty down there.  Get well soon Shaquille!
    Posted by mac1980[/QUOTE]

Imagine if OKC played against a team with a center....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

It really stopped Wade from dunking on his head didn't it? How you can say that it all of a sudden is Perk  making that difference? Please stop. I think the perception is bigger than the reality when it comes to Perkins. I'll take the 11 and 6 last night from Krstic in 25 as opposed to Perks 4 and 6 in 19 minutes. Oh and Jeff Green's 19. Why is still even being brought up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Yeah...I missed him in my dream

....oh we got the best of Perk 3 years ago ---
    we did good, cheap too.
    now we dumped him and got something better in return

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

We don't have Perk anymore but we get a lot of perks from Krstic and Green.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]It really stopped Wade from dunking on his head didn't it? How you can say that it all of a sudden is Perk  making that difference? Please stop. I think the perception is bigger than the reality when it comes to Perkins. I'll take the 11 and 6 last night from Krstic in 25 as opposed to Perks 4 and 6 in 19 minutes. Oh and Jeff Green's 19. Why is still even being brought up?
    Posted by terrrapin[/QUOTE]

More fouls than points against a team without a center..... how do we get one of those?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Still missing Perk?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not going to bash Perk (too much) because I always liked him, BUT, he was just an average player with 8+ years under his belt, just not getting any better. Take a look at the stat line from last nights game: 4 pts-5 Rebs- 6 fouls - 18:26 min. played. We can definitely live without that! Seems like he would be a nice fit for OKC, with little if any offense expected from him, but when he doesn't deliver on the defensive end, are they getting what they traded for? Hard to argue with success as OKC is winning these days.
    Posted by jhol[/QUOTE]

There are more sides to the game than offensive stats. Perk, is one of the best defensive centers in the game. That's why the Thunder wanted him. Our intererior defense has suffered quite a bit since he left too. Witness the clippers dunk-a-thon, against us. And teams are scoring against the Celtics at a greater rate than they were before the trade. 

Still, last night was real encouraging. It was nice to see the vets getting a rest for a change. I hope it is a trend that will continue.

With the bench improving, I think a healthy Shaq or even JO makes the trade worth it, but I think it is a mistake to minimize how good a defender Perk is. We made the trade because we are counting on either Shaq or JO being healthy enough to bring that same kind of Defense. 

10 of our next 16 games are on the road. We have Chicago, the Heat, and the Spurs still to play. Things are going to get real tough from here. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

perk couldnt get any elevation to block wade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Here is a quote from Dwyane Wade after the Thunder beat the Heat. The Thunder had  an off night offensively.

The Thunder, in limiting the Heat to 85 points in an 11-point win Wednesday, looked every bit as good as Boston and Los Angeles. "They're better," Dwyane Wade said of Oklahoma City. "They did a great job getting themselves prepared for the Western Conference. They are going to be right there in the thick of things, because they have added some beef up front. And they have athleticism." Yeah, the acquisition of Kendrick Perkins and Nazr Mohammed appears to have transformed the Thunder from a dangerous playoff team to legitimate contender. ... The Thunder looked like a young Boston. Their legs are fresher. They get off the ground quicker. And now Perkins and Mohammed give Oklahoma City added toughness and six hard fouls.

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/273231-wade-thunder-better-than-lakers-celtics?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin#ixzz1Gsoa24MH

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]And teams are scoring against the Celtics at a greater rate than they were before the trade. Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

You are right that stats aren't the only important fact but how many games Perk played this year before the trade (and also important after the game). How can we miss his defense this year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

I find it amusing that after we win against average or poor teams, this type of thread appears. I also find it interesting that when we lose to average or poor teams, the world is coming to an end.

There is no way to know if this trade was a good idea until the play-offs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Still missing Perk? : Imagine if OKC played against a team with a center....
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

No need to imagine anything when you can see the game against one of Boston's primary obstacles and see OKC suddenly look like a tough, strong team like another team I used to know.  So Green and Krstic score points.  Fantastic.  Lots of teams score points.  Not many teams have world class defense.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Wait until the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I love how you posted this and then defeated your own argument with 

"Hard to argue with success as OKC is winning these days."

Exactly. Perk has made OKC very tough to deal with inside. They are actually in a position to maybe come out of the west. If they do, will you agree that maybe the trade was a bad idea? 

I'm still on the fence and keeping an open mind, as I see the benefits in the new guys also. 

But to pretend Perk can't have an impact - just read the quotes from the players after the game. 

If Dwayne Wade thinks Perk helps them, maybe you want to take his word for it since he's the one that had to deal with him on his drives all night? 

Or maybe you know better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]Perk has made OKC very tough to deal with inside.Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

I like Perk, like almost every Boston Fan does.
    But how many games did he play for OKC so far? And how many minutes against a Miami team without a real 5? Are you sure it is Perk what made the thunder though?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

The dunk-a-thon wasnt cause Perk was missing, it was cause Rondos man had a free-for-all in the lane causing multiple switching and lost players.

As far as our interior defense suffering since Perk left.... dont know how you figure.  We were a top rated defense without Perk all season... he played 12 games for us... all of a sudden we're missing his defense??? Like the first 50 games of the season where we played great defense w/o him never happened.

Perk gets too much credit for his defense on the C's... its proven with this years defensive record... no two ways about it. Yes, he plays good 1on1 defense vs DH... no argument there... but then what?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

they thunderously overpaid Perk !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]The clippers dunk a thon was due to the fact that the Celtics had only 2 bigs..KG and Krstic..and Doc told them not to foul..Celtics did not lose due to interior defense..they lost those games due to bad shooting..as in 40%.. Seems as if people should read the articles and facts on this site rather than author their opinions..
    Posted by BBALLIQ[/QUOTE]

I did you should try it.

the nine games since the Perkins trade (excluding the first post-trade deadline game in Denver, when Boston had a makeshift roster), the Celtics have allowed 98.1 points per 100 possessions, take out the bucks 56 point game and Boston has permitted 102.75 points per 100 possessions. That’s still better than league average, but only the equivalent of about the 10th-best defense in the league. That’s not so great, really, when you consider that five of those nine games came against the Bucks, Clippers and Nets, all among the league’s bottom-10 offenses.

Opponents are hitting a much better percentage of inside shots. In those nine games, teams have made 123-of-193 at the rim (63.7 percent). For the season, Boston ranks second in this category at a shade worse than 60 percent. That 63.7 percent mark would rank about 17th overall. The Clippers especially tore up Boston’s front line, hitting 33-of-48  close shots (68.8 percent) over two games

Another small red flag: Those nine foes have assisted on 58.5 percent of their close baskets, a huge jump from an average assist rate on close shots of about 51 percent for Boston’s opponents this season. No team has allowed an interior assist rate as high as 58.5 percent over the full season.

More from where I am plagerizing:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Still missing Perk? : You are right that stats aren't the only important fact but how many games Perk played this year before the trade (and also important after the game). How can we miss his defense this year?
    Posted by Gasthoerer[/QUOTE]

That's a good point, although I'd say Shaq and jermaine O'Neil between the two of them helped quite a bit in this category.  If they get back we are in good shape.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Perk would not have played in any of those games anyway. The trade had nothing to do with the higher scoring of our opponents it is due to tired legs. When they want to clamp down they do. The dead line is over. The team will not change it is time to cheer them on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

OK, lets get real his 8 year career he spent in BOSTON. We watched him grow as a player. That was nice but please you cant tell me we cant live without him. He played about 7 to 8 games. Think about it all thru the season we havent had him on the squad and still the CELTICS are the BEAST of the EAST!! When everyone gets situated in their role you cant tell me we didnt win in the trade. Have you seen or thought what the 2nd unit can look like when SHAQ returns. krstic, BBD,Green, West and Arroyo. Troy looks like he is turning the corner how BIG is that. He can play 4 or 5. I am not sure what we can get out of JO but he may make a difference and another 6 fouls to give out. If we have to run in to Howard in the playoffs. Think about Green he mostly played 4 in OKC. Now he will be playing more of a 3. Starter who is going to come off the bench come on we won in the deal. So, what I am saying put the emotions away. Lets be realistic and whats best for the team. I dont care what Kobe,James or Wade say. So, players might get inside and get more dunks they are only 2 points, how many 2nd units have the ability to throw that kind of talent. That the CELTICS have right now. By the playoffs they will be a machine by then. We still might be able to end up with the best record in the EAST too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

We been a top defensive team all season without Perk. He played 12 games with us this year.. How can we be rated a top defensive team all season without Perk?? Answer: cause we play great team defense and Perk was lucky to be playing with KG et al... Perk was good but not the backbone of our defense...that would be KG by a mile

Also, Ive posted many times..the reason we've seen some dunk-a-thons against us lately is due to our guards (mainly Rondo) getting easily picked off  and not picking up the switch..causing everyone else to switch leaving soomeone wide open.

Im glad I read the following this morning from DA:

He also disputed the notion that the Celtics are more vulnerable defensively without Kendrick Perkins. "That's not against our centers. That's against our guards," Ainge said. "Even when we had Perkins. If you remember the Phoenix game where [Marcin] Gortat had 25 [points] and Robin Lopez had 14 and they were just dunking the ball on the pick and roll. That's team defense. That's not scoring on our centers. That's bad team defense. When guys are getting wide open dunks that's typically not the center's fault."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

As we saw last year, the play-offs are played differently than regular season.

In the regular season, fast break offense is more successful and defense comes and goes because it is harder to do, requires more energy, teams feel they can beat poorer teams without the more difficult defensive game. Add to this the fact that referees call games more closely in the regular season, and over all, the defensive game suffers when compared to the play-offs.

In the play-offs, the half court game is more successful and defense is required against better teams. Referees tend to let players play a more physical brand of basketball.

The 2009, and 2010 Celtic teams were known  quantities. the 2011 Celtics have yet to prove that they can play defense on a consistent level. Offense comes and goes, as it did for the Thunder against the Heat the other night. On days when the offense is not working, it is a major advantage to bring the defense to win games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]I love how you posted this and then defeated your own argument with  " Hard to argue with success as OKC is winning these days." Exactly. Perk has made OKC very tough to deal with inside. They are actually in a position to maybe come out of the west. If they do, will you agree that maybe the trade was a bad idea?  I'm still on the fence and keeping an open mind, as I see the benefits in the new guys also.  But to pretend Perk can't have an impact - just read the quotes from the players after the game.  If Dwayne Wade thinks Perk helps them, maybe you want to take his word for it since he's the one that had to deal with him on his drives all night?  Or maybe you know better.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Hmm let me see, Dudder said Perkins is garbage,  DWade says Perk has help transform the Thunder into legitimate title contenders.  Who am I going to believe?  I am so confused here.  Dudder has already told us that he has forgot more basketball knowledge than any of us have ever had.  Someone please help me out I don't know who to believe Dudder or Wade.