Sullinger Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Sullinger Again

I have said time and again this guy needs more PT.  He would be a double double machine with 35 minutes a game. One of our biggest weakness is rebounding. Would Sully improve that?  No doubt about it. Would our defense be worse?  Not sure how.

ESPN today.

The Celtics didn't have much to be proud of as they lost the final three games of their four-game road trip that concluded Sunday with a 118-96 defeat at the hands of the Sacramento Kings, but they had to feel good about the play of rookieJared Sullinger, who emerged as one of the few (and possibly only) bright spots on an otherwise forgettable trek west. 

Sullinger built off of an impressive 16-point, seven-rebound outing against theBrooklyn Nets on Christmas by averaging 8.6 points and 6.3 rebounds over the remaining three games of the trip, shooting 60 percent from the field. 

With Boston losing each game by at least 18 points, the consistent effort Sullinger displayed, particularly in the paint, stood out, as he routinely emerged as a spark off the bench. 

"Just playing basketball," Sullinger said before practice on Tuesday of what worked for him throughout the trip. "I think I've reached a comfort level. They actually trust me down there on the block now. They're throwing it down to me a little bit more, so I'm just trying to make plays and also just try to help the team win." 

Sullinger had a number of memorable stretches over the course of the trip, including a 10-point first half against the Golden State Warriors on Saturday and an eight-point third quarter against the Kings, in which his ability to create space around the basket and draw fouls was one of the only things keeping Boston within shouting distance at that point in the game. 

With the Kings sporting an 11-point lead at the 4:17 mark of the frame, Sullinger scored the next eight points for Boston -- six of which came from the free throw line -- to keep Sacramento within reach as the rest of his teammates combined to shoot 7-of-22 in the quarter. Sullinger capped off his personal run at the 1:27 mark, following up six free throws with a layup from the left block off an over-the-top pass from Rajon Rondo

Sullinger continued to prove that he plays well with Boston's best players, specifically Rondo, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. The stats show Boston has considerable success when Sullinger shares a lineup with those three players. In just more than 34 minutes of floor time this season, the only lineup featuring all four players (Courtney Lee being the fifth) has outscored opponents by 18.6 points, according to lineup data logged by Basketball Reference. Sullinger gives Garnett, Rondo and Pierce all the credit for his own success playing alongside them. 

"They draw so much attention and everybody leaves No. 7 alone, and so I just capitalize on that and try to find open spots," Sullinger said. "I mean, with Paul's ability to score, Rondo's ability to create, Kevin's ability to score, they focus so hard on those guys and so everybody's head is turned to them and I just try to capitalize on that." 

Capitalizing on opportunities hasn't been difficult for Sullinger all season. While his early-season production was regarded with hopeful optimism, his consistency since then has given way to newer and more demanding expectations he continues to meet.

18 minutes a game?  You have got to be kidding me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Sullinger Again

I think Ainge's biggest off season mistake was resigning Bass. Of course he didn't know Sully would be this sold but with that said. Sully and Wilcox (when he comes back) should be getting all of the minutes Bass gets.

The guy can't rebound and he has no post game.

Sully can board and has a solid game down low.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Ainge's biggest off season mistake was resigning Bass. Of course he didn't know Sully would be this sold but with that said. Sully and Wilcox (when he comes back) should be getting all of the minutes Bass gets.

[/QUOTE]

The Bass deal and the Jeff Green deal were rich in dollars and years. Honestly, both look like Danny/Doc drinking cool aid together and justifiying their thinking with their owners' wallets. Green at least has some upside, while Bass was playing above his head in the playoffs and now that he is back down to earth is looking pretty average at best (and undersized on an already small team). Hypothetical question: what would the Celtics recrod be if they had gone with Blatche at the 4/5 (instead of Bass) and Barnes at the back up 3 (instead of Green) and let the owners save $15 million or so?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to futbal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Bass deal and the Jeff Green deal were rich in dollars and years. Honestly, both look like Danny/Doc drinking cool aid together and justifiying their thinking with their owners' wallets. Green at least has some upside, while Bass was playing above his head in the playoffs and now that he is back down to earth is looking pretty average at best (and undersized on an already small team). Hypothetical question: what would the Celtics recrod be if they had gone with Blatche at the 4/5 (instead of Bass) and Barnes at the back up 3 (instead of Green) and let the owners save $15 million or so?

[/QUOTE]

I was down on Blatche because of his being so toxic with the Wizards.  Right now it looks like I was wrong, but one never knows when someone like blatche will implode.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

JaVale McGee at $11M a year was the best upper-mid-range salary signing this summer. Good job by George Karl and the Denver GM. Blatch and Barnes were the cheap routes for better players. McGee is a way better player for less money than Green/Bass combined.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I was down on Blatche because of his being so toxic with the Wizards.  Right now it looks like I was wrong, but one never knows when someone like blatche will implode.

[/QUOTE]

Blatche is not very impressive the last few games.

It's not like we missed out on Tim Duncan by not getting Blatche.

[/QUOTE]

No we just missed out on a young, active big man that is NBA ready now, and has a tremendous upside.  I think maybe we could have used him at the 4 or 5 position.

Blatche has been a very good pickup for NJ, to judge him on the last few games is unfair.  Allstar, no, but he could be a big help to us. IMHO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to futbal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JaVale McGee at $11M a year was the best upper-mid-range salary signing this summer. Good job by George Karl and the Denver GM. Blatch and Barnes were the cheap routes for better players. McGee is a way better player for less money than Green/Bass combined.

[/QUOTE]

We could not have signed McGee - he was a UFA!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to FURY13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bass needs to go to the bench. The starting 5 on this team should be Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Garnett and Sullinger. 2nd unit should be comprised of Lee, Terry, Bass, Green and Wilcox when he returns. Terry is more comfortable as a bench player. They still need to add a big that can stabilize the 2nd unit.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Glad to see SOMEONE recognizing good talent. Like i said last week, he is being a good soldier,just filling his role, but he could do much more for this team if they allow him too. Where is bt33 today?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to FURY13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As a rookie he grasps the defensive rotation where Bass after 1+ year here doesn't. The kid needs to start. Knowing the D alone should put him on the floor ahead of Bass.

[/QUOTE]

+1

I dont how a player falls off like bass and im starting to think its his payday> he seems like a hard worker but he only shows up on offense a lot of nights. Last year he shot well but he also had Rondo running 3 pick and rolls back to back to back wth wide open 8 footers till he made one. And now Sully cant get over 30 minutes and no touches in the paint??  I Hate Doc right now!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Agree, sully has earned the right for minutes, he is clearly outplaying bbass.  The only advantage bbass had over sully was his  jumper, which he hasnt been hitting and his defense which doesnt look nearly as good as last year. Sully is clearly the better rebounder and post player and right now is outhustling bbass too. Sully should be gettin at least 25 minutes a night.  Hes earned it.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No we just missed out on a young, active big man that is NBA ready now, and has a tremendous upside.  I think maybe we could have used him at the 4 or 5 position.

Blatche has been a very good pickup for NJ, to judge him on the last few games is unfair.  Allstar, no, but he could be a big help to us. IMHO

[/QUOTE]

KG and Blatche don't like each other. The nationally televised game between the Nets and Celtics last Christmas confirmed it when the announcers said Blatche likes to play against KG.

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter.  In the past.  Just someone we missed out on for whatever the reason. Back to basic.   I stand by Sully needs to continue to play as many minutes as his fouls allow.  He is a physical beast.  Imagine when he learns what he can get away with.  Read the first post again about him being in the lineup with the starters.  Not sure how Doc can disregard that.

Double double machine if he is allowed to play.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Doesn't matter.  In the past.  Just someone we missed out on for whatever the reason. Back to basic.   I stand by Sully needs to continue to play as many minutes as his fouls allow.  He is a physical beast.  Imagine when he learns what he can get away with.  Read the first post again about him being in the lineup with the starters.  Not sure how Doc can disregard that.

Double double machine if he is allowed to play.

[/QUOTE]

Once Bass is gone, Sully will get more minutes.

Let's just hope that Ainge can trade Bass this month instead of at the trade deadline.

[/QUOTE]

10 days.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I would be fine with Sully getting 30  minutes a game and Wilcox getting 18 minutes a game  at the 4.

Bass played over his head last year and even last year he was only an average 4. Sully is a better rebounder and a better post player.  That's what this team needs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

I would be fine with Sully getting 30  minutes a game and Wilcox getting 18 minutes a game  at the 4.

Bass played over his head last year and even last year he was only an average 4. Sully is a better rebounder and a better post player.  That's what this team needs.

[/QUOTE]

PHYSICAL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PHYSICAL

[/QUOTE]

Yep, and again when healthy Wilcox can bang a little and block some shots.

I am done with Bass.  I know he is a nice guy and he tries hard, but he needs to go.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Sully continues to impress.  Got like 24 minutes last nite.  Just a matter of time before he starts  spitting out those double doubles.  He can be such a important cog on this team.  If this kid was getting 35 minutes a game I believe he would be in the running for ROY.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]

Sully continues to impress.  Got like 24 minutes last nite.  Just a matter of time before he starts  spitting out those double doubles.  He can be such a important cog on this team.  If this kid was getting 35 minutes a game I believe he would be in the running for ROY.

[/QUOTE]  I think Sully just may become your new Pierce!!  HaHaHa!!  That was meant to be funny, are you laughing yet?