Switching Topics - Deron Williams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Switching Topics - Deron Williams

This is completely outside of the Celtics trade/buyout pickup topics.   But, along the lines of "careful of what you complain about", Deron Williams was once touted as the best PG in the league (I didn't buy it but many did) and some viewed his team as a team that would battle with the Elite in the West.  In 2/3 of one season, his team went way downhill, his coach was fired, and he was traded away to the wasteland called the Nets.

They are about to lose, again, tonight.   Williams has no one to really pass to and the team is struggling (although I do like their coach and their owner).  He won't like that for long.  So, I predict he will test the Free Agency waters.  The question is where.

Think about the Lakers (not likely - no cap room), the Heat, Knicks, Bulls, Thunder, Spurs, and Celtics are not matches for obvious reasons.  So, I'm predicting that the Magic will make a major push for him and m dark horse team is the Dallas Mavericks (Kidd is old and washed up and they need a PG + Cuban likes to spend money).  

Do you see him resigning with Nets (I say no) and where do you think he goes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Switching Topics - Deron Williams

Sorry - just to be clear - his player option is after next season but the Nets aren't going to get a lot better next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

It is hard to bid against Bird's right.  How can the magic even come closed to what the Nets will be willing and able to pay? Big market with deep pocket owner, with some good GMing they might be able to manage to get better or at least convince Deron to stay with the Max.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

I see him signing with the Knicks depending on the new CBA. If you noticed, he wavered when asked about his future there.

He went from a playoff team to a "bottom feeder" team full of scrubs. I'm sure he's outta there when the time comes.

JMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

He might not have had anyone to pass to but he did accumulate 18 assists.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

He had a good game, true.  Overall, he does not have a good team with him, however.  They're going nowhere!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Maybe it depends on his personality. Maybe he wants to be on the ground floor, the foundation, of a up and coming franchise. Maybe it depends on the direction he preceives management to be headed in. Some players thrive even on a bad team. They want to be the leader, the foundation. They feel they own the team. Qualities you love in a player of Williams posistion. Is this Williams??? Time will tell.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, Time will tell.  In his favor is the fact that his owner is going to definitely spend money and they went after him to start to build around.   So, there's a 50/50 chance the Nets get enough talent such that he decides to stay.

Also, its important what happens on the CBA because if there's something like a "franchise" tag, he will get it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Everything is gonna shake up all over the place.  The players should use this opportunity to demand David Stern and the officials all be sent to forced labor camps.  The lockout or whatever you call it is gonna change the league forever.  The owners have plenty of everything.  Not exactly a bad living in the NBA as a player either.  I think a lot of the players moving around is about teams not having weird contract disputes over anything and other economic realities as the lockout proceeds.  Evidently some franchises won't survive so why not firesale.  So if the Celtics can be benificiaries of that environment I say go for it.  I am a Kendrick Perkins fan and will always follow his career.  He is a great example of what kind of fitness regimen a professional athelete should follow.  The knee recovery is actualy amazing and I never had any doubts he would be as strong as ever if not even stronger because of the leg workout focus after a knee cartilage repair.  BUT, there is no denying the Celtics are better this year and have a lot of options and youth now.  Just go for it now.  Next year isn't coming anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

In Response to Re: Switching Topics - Deron Williams:
    [QUOTE]Everything is gonna shake up all over the place.  The players should use this opportunity to demand David Stern and the officials all be sent to forced labor camps.  The lockout or whatever you call it is gonna change the league forever.  The owners have plenty of everything.  Not exactly a bad living in the NBA as a player either.  I think a lot of the players moving around is about teams not having weird contract disputes over anything and other economic realities as the lockout proceeds.  Evidently some franchises won't survive so why not firesale.  So if the Celtics can be benificiaries of that environment I say go for it.  I am a Kendrick Perkins fan and will always follow his career.  He is a great example of what kind of fitness regimen a professional athelete should follow.  The knee recovery is actualy amazing and I never had any doubts he would be as strong as ever if not even stronger because of the leg workout focus after a knee cartilage repair.  BUT, there is no denying the Celtics are better this year and have a lot of options and youth now.  Just go for it now.  Next year isn't coming anyway.
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]
    Just to comment on your player management relation points. As a person working two(lucky to have them) just to make ends meet, I think it would be nuts for them to have a stoppage. I think they'll get something done. Of course, they don't live in the world of reality so we'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, I think they'll get something done, but not before a long drawn out negotiation and very last minute settlement.   The owners used to have all the power and abused it.  The players who are the product wanted more and I don't blame them.  The owners then expanded the league too much and the product is now diluted (lots of weak weak terrible teams).   So, you get all of this overpaying for talent that's not worth it, teams not making money, trying to do buy-outs.  I hope they contract the league by 4 teams and make some changes that get more good teams on the court.

Back to DWill, its now clear that the Nets owner wants to make a strong push at Howard to go with DWill.   It will be interesting to see how the CBA affects all of this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

I think Deron is a fine PG, but I keep remembering the Celts' first game against the Jazz this year.  Williams completely disappeared.,  Yes, he had quick fouls and didn't play as much as usual, but when he was on the court, he had zero impact on the game.  Even when Rondo has a bad game, he does >>something.<<  Go figure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

regarding new cba, the owners appear bound and determined to gut the current system, including decreasing player salaries across the board by 33%. that's not sitting well in player circles. i think we fans need to gird ourselves for an extended work stoppage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from allen2034. Show allen2034's posts

In Response to Switching Topics - Deron Williams:
    [QUOTE]This is completely outside of the Celtics trade/buyout pickup topics.   But, along the lines of "careful of what you complain about", Deron Williams was once touted as the best PG in the league (I didn't buy it but many did) and some viewed his team as a team that would battle with the Elite in the West.  In 2/3 of one season, his team went way downhill, his coach was fired, and he was traded away to the wasteland called the Nets. They are about to lose, again, tonight.   Williams has no one to really pass to and the team is struggling (although I do like their coach and their owner).  He won't like that for long.  So, I predict he will test the Free Agency waters.  The question is where. Think about the Lakers (not likely - no cap room), the Heat, Knicks, Bulls, Thunder, Spurs, and Celtics are not matches for obvious reasons.  So, I'm predicting that the Magic will make a major push for him and m dark horse team is the Dallas Mavericks (Kidd is old and washed up and they need a PG + Cuban likes to spend money).   Do you see him resigning with Nets (I say no) and where do you think he goes?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Well just wanted to comment on the fact that his coach got fired...not true...Jerry Sloan stepped down...not fired....that is one coach that definitely would never get fired by the jazz...so give the guy his respect and get the facts straight...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

YOu're right.  I should have said "Coach quit".  Sloan was not fired.