Thank you KG and Pierce!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Thank you KG and Pierce!

After tonight, we are witnessing the end of an era. With that in mind, I want to thank both of you for a great run. I have not had so much fun watching the NBA since 1986.  The team play of the Celtics has been a joy to watch. KG, with out you, the team would just be another team. With you, the team has been a heroic icon. Win or lose, your play has always made Celtic efforts feel like the good would always triumph over evil, and the right would always prevail. Your drive during games felt like the Celtics were either Achilles defeating Hector,  or in defeat, your games felt like the Spartans against the Persians at Thermopylae. Win or lose, both of you have been epic. Piece, the great clutch shooter, and KG, the great all around player. It was a great combination that I will never forget.

Thank you

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Thank you KG and Pierce!

Amen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Just remember KG was injured or we would not have gone done with a whimper.  The Knicks as as bad as they have been are on a roll. They make shots like it is easy.  We are no longer a competitive team all because KG went down when we least expected it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

They are two true all-time Celtic warriors who will be missed.

But its over... sadly.

Go out with grace and dignity, you two.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

Adios amigos...It's time for boston to retire their best players for the future of the Celtics.

Nothing to be ashamed they rendered great service to the BOSTON fans.

Thank You!

"NO Body Does It Better than the Boston Celtics"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Thanks for giving me such pride as a Celtics fan.

Good luck and best wishes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In review, Both KG and Pierce are hall of fame players. I just hope that we will find replacements sooner than later. If not I will always cherish both of you. I will enjoy watching both of you enter the hall of fame.

A review of career acholades:

Catagory

KG

Pierce

NBA Championships

Conference Champs

Division Champs

First Team All NBA

Second Team All NBA

Third Team All NBA

All Star game starts

All Star game second pick

Defensive Player of the year

All Defensive first team

All Defensive second team

All Defensive third team

League MVP

1 , 

Other League MVP finishes

2 seconds, 1 third

7th finish 2008

Finals MVP

League leader in total points

1 time

1 time

League leader in Pt, Rb, As

1 for seven years

League leader in Rebounds

All time leader in Points

# 15

All time leader in Rebounds

# 10

All time leader in Assists

#4 for front court players

Rank in Win Shares in league history

All Star Game MVP

All NBA Rookie Team

2nd team

1st team

Similar Player Rank

1, Duncan #4, Bird #6

1, Havlecek #2

NBA Salary Rank

-

Playoff  games

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

By normal NBA standards, KG's time in Boston is a success.

But if we base it on Celtic standards, KG didn't reach the level of "Celtic greatness".

So did you mother not like you?

Did Barkley or Malone ever win championships? How many championships did Chamberlain win?

Some times class has more to do with input than hate. However, I forgive you. Someday you will appreciate KG. Their has never been a player like him, he is not only heroic, but epic, just like Pierce. The era is ending, and they deserve our thanks.

NBA reference ranks him #1 against similar players with Duncan #2 and Bird #8. While I will alway rank Bird #1, I can accept their point of view.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Notice how Duncan, Bird, and Havlicek all have a Finals MVP trophy?

Hey Fierce, shut the f**k up.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

But if we base it on Celtic standards, KG didn't reach the level of "Celtic greatness".

An award can't always encapsulate the effect that a player has on a team, city, and perhaps most importantly, the 'culture'. In KG's case, he wants to be remembered as a Celtic and will in fact always be wearing green in our collective mind's eye. The majority of Celtic greats were either drafted by the team or played in their respective primes. KG was on the downside of prodigious talents. At the time of the trade that brought him here I wasn't sure that he would be worth giving up Big AL. Boy was I wrong! I'm also certain that he has @ minimal the stamp of approval from a Mr. Bill Russell and Kevin McHale.  That's good enough for me.

P.S. The original post was nicely put.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to Jump-ball-overtime's comment:

In review, Both KG and Pierce are hall of fame players. I just hope that we will find replacements sooner than later. If not I will always cherish both of you. I will enjoy watching both of you enter the hall of fame.

A review of career acholades:

Catagory

KG

Pierce

NBA Championships

Conference Champs

Division Champs

First Team All NBA

Second Team All NBA

Third Team All NBA

All Star game starts

All Star game second pick

Defensive Player of the year

All Defensive first team

All Defensive second team

All Defensive third team

League MVP

1 , 

Other League MVP finishes

2 seconds, 1 third

7th finish 2008

Finals MVP

League leader in total points

1 time

1 time

League leader in Pt, Rb, As

1 for seven years

League leader in Rebounds

All time leader in Points

# 15

All time leader in Rebounds

# 10

All time leader in Assists

#4 for front court players

Rank in Win Shares in league history

All Star Game MVP

All NBA Rookie Team

2nd team

1st team

Similar Player Rank

1, Duncan #4, Bird #6

1, Havlecek #2

NBA Salary Rank

-

Playoff  games

Sorry but when you make 20 mil today it doesn't mean jack about what you did yesterday.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Bill Russell 11 championships and the only player/coach to win a champioship EVER,biggest contract $$ 101,00 anum. Stat that.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Well lets see... By Celtic standards, a team first player, and a pass first player, by Kevin Mchales description, has been a league MVP, finished in the league MVP voting 2 times at second and a third time at number three. Finished #1 against similar players in NBA history at NBA reference.com, # 10 all time against all rebounders, # 15 all time against scorers, and # 5 all time against front court assist leaders. # 1 all time against players that have scored 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists. While his peak years were in "Sota", his focus has always been about winning. four time first team all NBA, 12 time staring all star, 9 time first defensive team all NBA, 4 time NBA leader in rebounds, and 1 time leader in total points. Thank Bill Russell for convincing him that bringing others along was required for winning a championship.  

While he was the top scorer in the playoffs in 2008, He made sure that Pierce and Allen got what they needed. He is a true leader. If Pierce won the finals MVP, it was because, KG allowed him to do so. Thank you KG.

If you are so perochial as to define greatness by your own standards, well then so be it. By anyone elses standards, KG has had a pretty good career. The old days are past, and it has been twenty years since we have seen anything like him. If you don't appreciate him, then maybe there is no hope for you. Be well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

An award can't always encapsulate the effect that a player has on a team, city, and perhaps most importantly, the 'culture'. In KG's case, he wants to be remembered as a Celtic and will in fact always be wearing green in our collective mind's eye. The majority of Celtic greats were either drafted by the team or played in their respective primes. KG was on the downside of prodigious talents. At the time of the trade that brought him here I wasn't sure that he would be worth giving up Big AL. Boy was I wrong! I'm also certain that he has @ minimal the stamp of approval from a Mr. Bill Russell and Kevin McHale.  That's good enough for me.

P.S. The original post was nicely put.

Here's the thing, when it comes to Game 7s, KG fails. He's not a clutch player.

Larry Bird didn't disappoint Celtic fans in Game 7 of the 1984 Finals.

Tim Duncan came through for the Spurs when they needed him the most in Game 7 of the 2005 Finals.

Right off the bat, us Celtic fans can never forget Pierce's heroic Game 1 performance in the 2008 Finals.

Or how Ray Allen broke the NBA's 3pt shooting record with 8 3s in Game 2 of the 2010 Finals.

KG has done a lot for the Boston Celtics and the fans. But turning KG into something that he is not, like what Jump-ball is doing, is ridiculous!

A closeout game 6 performance for the ages in 2008(check out the stats!) should certainly qualify...Besides Russell, no other Celtic great came close to willing his team to relevance in their last 5 yrs. Also, look @ when you first started posting(I don't know when this forum started). Is it a coincidence that it was after the KG era? And lastly, all things being equal(one championship a piece) who will be remembered as the better HOFer. KG or Fierce, err, Pierce? Give the man his propers...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

It was a real privilege to see you guys play in green; should have had more than 1 ring.

Pity Danny has no f'n clue what to do, other than make a few flights to China.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Love you guys, KG and Pierce.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Garnett was the MVP of the 2008 finals for mine. No Garnett, and there is no opportunity for Boston to even make the finals in 2008. Play offs most definitely, finals no.

If Garnett stayed healthy in 2009 the Celtics would have made back to back finals series. They would not have lost to Orlando. 

Garnett is easily the Celtics MVP of the last 6 seasons. Certainly showed why he is one of the great power forwards of the modern NBA. Sacrificed his game for the good of this team mates. Did all the little things right. Bought a new defensive orientated attitude to the team. Really he's what any team would want.

Pierces real heroics, came in game 7 against Cleveland. That was his MVP performance. 

Expect to see both their numbers retired in the near future in Boston. Garnetts ought to be retired in Minnesota as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Using that finals MVP logic Cedric Maxwells efforts ranks higher than those of Kevin McHale?

There is also the stupidity of Bill Russell winning the league MVP award a mere five times! Different discussion I guess with that one.