Thank you KG and Pierce!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Re: Thank you KG and Pierce!

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Its not the truth, its your opinion.   KG came off a season of knee surgery and helped take this team to a game 7.  Bird lost his share of game 7's AND got swept by Milwaukee, on top of it.  Try not to rew2rite history.  Only the great Bill Russell had the kind of record that is unquestionable.   If KG had been with the C's in his prime with Paul and Ray around him in their prime (as Bird had in DJ, Danny, McHale, etc), he'd have more championships, too.   I love Bird and I love KG - why spend time trying to say KG failed because in the latter part of his career, with knee surgery and very little help from Danny - he could not deliver a second championship.   

Get a life man.  I, like others, want to thank KG for his great heart, he wonderful defense, his teaching of younger players, and his love for this franchise, and for Chamionship #17.  

Like I said, if you look hard enough, you will find more than one excuse for not being able to deliver.

Game 7 of the 2010 Finals was there for the taking. The Celts were even leading at the start of the 4th qtr. But where was KG?

Great players don't blame injuries for losing, they just go out there and win!

Willis Reed was basically playing with one leg when he led his team to a championship, right?

Fierce- You either have a blind spot(subconsciously?), don't get it or most likely have several brothers named Darryl. In 2010, Kg was well into his 15th year in the league and simply didn't(and doesn't) have the juice to bring it every night like his younger contemporaries. He was also coming off a season ending injury the year before. Who has ever been able to do that w/ the possible exception of Kareen(unfortunately against us in 85). The fact you were once advocating trading you know who for Gasoft only weakens your argument.. Are you also Dorian Grey? Your training in mass communications tells you to stay on mesage incessantly and flood the forum until our eyes glaze over. That works only if you're partially correct or your intended audience is primarily stupid(See mass media). And the fact that my example of his game 6 signature performance (emphatic alley opp and follow up slams)that helped end an over 20 year Celtic drought (culminating in the inspiring, "Anything is possible"shoutout) is somehow minor to you is simply astounding. How are your brothers' doing, by the way?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

In response to kyceltic's comment:

I can't think of Mays without thinking of Mantle, To this day i think he was the greatest talent to ever walk on a baseball field. Who else could hit them 500 ft. and yet be the fastest to first base in the game.  The combination of Mantle power and speed, will probably never be seen again.

And probably playing the game hungover from the night before.

Pud

I believe you're right about Mantle's potential. I read that Mantle was never the same after having stepped into a drain/sprinker system in Yankee stadium. Putting up better numbers than  the Duke even after that calamity is further testiment to his unbelievable promise. My father was born & raised in the Bronx and liked the Giants. He influenced me about Mays and his favorite player before Willie was Mel Ott(a decent HOFer, himself). Those were the days... 

I would guess Bobby Thompson would also have been a favorite of your fathers. You're right, those were the days. I spent many a night with my father sitting in an old car in the drive way trying to listen to the Cardinals as the station would come in and out. Man i'd like to get that feeling back one more time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Have nothing but love and absolute respect for PP and KG. To me, it's sad to know that when they have their last dance on the parquet, Celtic Pride will follow them right out the door. I don't think any current member even knows what it means. If I was there Sunday for game 4, I'ld give PP and KG a standing ovation when they are announced..... then leave The Garden. No way can I watch them go down in the pitiful way that this team is. Thank you for the memories guys. Gunna miss you. (if indeed this is the last dance)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

I can't think of Mays without thinking of Mantle, To this day i think he was the greatest talent to ever walk on a baseball field. Who else could hit them 500 ft. and yet be the fastest to first base in the game.  The combination of Mantle power and speed, will probably never be seen again.

And probably playing the game hungover from the night before.

Pud

I believe you're right about Mantle's potential. I read that Mantle was never the same after having stepped into a drain/sprinker system in Yankee stadium. Putting up better numbers than  the Duke even after that calamity is further testiment to his unbelievable promise. My father was born & raised in the Bronx and liked the Giants. He influenced me about Mays and his favorite player before Willie was Mel Ott(a decent HOFer, himself). Those were the days... 

I would guess Bobby Thompson would also have been a favorite of your fathers. You're right, those were the days. I spent many a night with my father sitting in an old car in the drive way trying to listen to the Cardinals as the station would come in and out. Man i'd like to get that feeling back one more time.

Yes, indeed. This so called 'shot heard round the world' was only a league championship game. Mays was on deck @ the time. The Giants would go on to lose to the Yankees in 6 games in which both him @ the Mick were rookies. Ironically, the winning game was when Mantle stepped on the wooden cover of that sprinkler. Not even one full season of his vast potential. Maybe that's what led him to drink. Who knows?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[/QUOTE]
    I too spend many evenings out in the car listening to the A.M. radio with static so thick that it was deafening. 2 minutes of clear signal followed by 5 minutes of nothing but roaring static.

I learned to pray,  beseeching the baseball gods, imploring them for help  to cut thru that static to find out the score and what Duke Snider did at his last at bat.

It would take nearly 36 hours sometimes to find out the score of the game (in the paper) if played out on the West Coast after the Dodger move to LA.

Same-same listening to Johnny Most at night out of Boston. Mostly static in the Deep South.

We didn't have 24 hour sports channels back in those days or DIRECTV NBA League Pass either. And players were not millionaires. 30 grand per year was huge money. Mickey Mantle money.

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerDynasty. Show LakerDynasty's posts

Rapid fire Fierce 20 posts (and counting) - rest of boad 48

Keep working Fierceomatic,  you may catch them with your garbage of post after post after post after post after post.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerDynasty. Show LakerDynasty's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to LakerDynasty's comment:

Rapid fire Fierce 20 posts (and counting) - rest of boad 48

Keep working Fierceomatic,  you may catch them with your garbage of post after post after post after post after post.

You have 9 posts and almost all of them are Fierce related.

If my posts are garbage then why do you even bother to read them, duh!

You are entertaining.  Like the monkey and the organ grinder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

And your posts are about as entertaining as your team!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerDynasty. Show LakerDynasty's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

And your posts are about as entertaining as your team!

My team is pathetic with all our stars.  I even get sick of reading the junk printed about them.  We were overhyped big time.  And no we weren't entertaining in the least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I get the feeling Laker Dynasty is either not a true lakers fan, and is mployee8, or is Tommy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I too spend many evenings out in the car listening to the A.M. radio with static so thick that it was deafening. 2 minutes of clear signal followed by 5 minutes of nothing but roaring static.

I learned to pray,  beseeching the baseball gods, imploring them for help  to cut thru that static to find out the score and what Duke Snider did at his last at bat.

It would take nearly 36 hours sometimes to find out the score of the game (in the paper) if played out on the West Coast after the Dodger move to LA.

Same-same listening to Johnny Most at night out of Boston. Mostly static in the Deep South.

We didn't have 24 hour sports channels back in those days or DIRECTV NBA League Pass either. And players were not millionaires. 30 grand per year was huge money. Mickey Mantle money.

Pud

[/QUOTE]  One of the best if not the best baseball books i ever read, The boys of summer, by Roger Kahn, was all about the Dodgers of the 50's. If you like to read, it's a good one.

19. This post has been removed.