The Anatomy of a Slump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

The Anatomy of a Slump

Let's say this slump started around March 11, eleven games ago, and they have gone 5 - 6 since then.

The slump is a result of a number of factors all coming together at about the same time.  Let's examine some possible factors. 

But I believe that this is not about talent:  the C's have enough talent to go all the way Shaq or sans Shaq.  But certainly not if they continue to play the way they have during this prolonged slump -- they are not even a .500 team.

But here is what I think is the anatomy of this slump:

1.  The trade:  numbers one and two bleed together, trade and chemistry: when the trades occurred the C's put their blinders on and played through distraction, sorrow and anxiety.  When they got back home it began to set in.  It's been tough for some of them to deal with:  it's had an effect, which leads into number 2.  And, the new guys are playing tentatively, over-thinking, not loose, afraid to screw up.

2.  Chemistry:  they were a close knit bunch of guys, and it was a real good locker room from all reports.  Now it's a different locker room.  A good friend is gone, a tough guy who always had your back.  A little clown who kept everybody loose and was well liked.  No knock on the new guys, just bad timing.  This is a problem among the guys who were not traded, but they are professionals they will have to find a way to deal and move forward if they want to win a ring.

3.  Long season/older athletes:  It's become a mental and physical grind for these guys having to play so many minutes because of the injuries.  It's become a mental grind to hear and think "when we have all the bodies, when Shaq gets back, when Delonte gets back, when JO gets back, and meanwhile Ray gets 36 minutes a game put on his 35 year old legs just 63 seconds less than 25 year old Rondo.  And Rondo just looks fried physically and mentally.  Too many minutes, too many times getting knocked to the floor, he's just not the same player he was out the gate.  When I see him standing and dribbling the shot clock down to precious seconds before getting into a play, that is fatigue, and I'm with Tommy, it drives me crazy.  Rest the kid.

4.  Individual woes:  bad luck just had to dictate that a number of players would go into a sump all at the same time.  Rondo, Ray, Paul and KG have all had their struggles of late, some of it is due to fatigue, some to frustration, and sometimes the shots just wont drop.

Doc thinks that some of the recent woes are due to selfishness, the type of selfishness, as he characterizes it, as each slumping player trying to get out of his slump in order to help the team.  But in doing so, it has lead to poor ball movement, poor shot selection, and some poor decisions.

5. Mental focus:  guys seem to be coasting, and Doc seems to be trying to conserve their energy, so when the bench comes in and gives up a huge lead, then the Fab 4 have to gear back up to come in and pull out the win. It's a grind, part of the long regular season and tied to physical fatigue.

I hope they can turn on the intensity and get the focus back at will, but I think they will have to play through this, and it will take some time and won't happen overnight. 

This slump is not over yet, but the times they are a changing.

-

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Re: Anatomy of a Slump

In Response to Anatomy of a Slump:
    [QUOTE]Let's say this slump started around March 11, eleven games ago, and they have gone 5 - 6 since then. The slump is a result of a number of factors all coming together at about the same time.  Let's examine some possible factors.  But I believe that this is not about talent:  the C's have enough talent to go all the way Shaq or sans Shaq.  But certainly not if they continue to play the way they have during this prolonged slump -- they are not even a .500 team. But here is what I think is the anatomy of this slump: 1.  The trade:  numbers one and two bleed together, trade and chemistry: when the trades occurred the C's put their blinders on and played through distraction, sorrow and anxiety.  When they got back home it began to set in.  It's been tough for some of them to deal with:  it's had an effect, which leads into number 2.  And, the new guys are playing tentatively, over-thinking, not loose, afraid to screw up. 2.  Chemistry:  they were a close knit bunch of guys, and it was a real good locker room from all reports.  Now it's a different locker room.  A good friend is gone, a tough guy who always had your back.  A little clown who kept everybody loose and was well liked.  No knock on the new guys, just bad timing.  This is a problem among the guys who were not traded, but they are professionals they will have to find a way to deal and move forward if they want to win a ring. 3.  Long season/older athletes:  It's become a mental grind for these guy having to play so many minutes because of the injuries.  It's become a mental grind to hear and think "when we have all the bodies, when Shaq gets back, when Delonte gets back, when JO gets back, and meanwhile Ray gets 36 minutes a game put on his 35 year old legs just 63 seconds less than 25 year old Rondo.  And Rondo just looks fried physically and mentally.  Too many minutes, too many times getting knocked to the floor, he's just not the same player he was out the gate.  When I see him standing and dribbling the shot clock down to precious seconds before getting into a play, that is fatigue, and I'm with Tommy, it drives me crazy.  Rest the kid. 4.  Individual woes:  bad luck just had to dictate that a number of players would go into a sump all at the same time.  Rondo, Ray, Paul and KG have all had their struggles of late, some of it is due to fatigue, some to frustration, and sometimes the shots just wont drop. Doc thinks that some of the recent woes are due to selfishness, the type selfishness, as he characterizes it, as each slumping player trying to get out of his slump in order to help the team.  But in doing so it has lead to poor ball movement, poor shot selection, and some poor decisions. 5. Mental focus:  guys seem to be coasting and doc seem to be trying to conserve their energy so when the bench comes in and gives up a huge lead then the Fab 4 have to gear back up to come in and pullout the win. It's a grind, part of the long regular season and tied to physical fatigue. I hope they can turn on the intensity and get the focus back at will, but I think they will have to play through this, and it will take some time and won't happen overnight.  This slump is not over yet, but the times they are a changing. -
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Great analysis Rajon!  I think you hit the hammer on all the right nails here.  I agree with you.  They are professionals.  They will find a way...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Last night's loss serves as a good example of the multiple woes I mentioned in my post.

Specifically, the 1st unit getting a lead and the 2nd unit blowing it and letting the opponent back in.

This speaks to the chemistry issue and to the new guys getting acclimated to the system.  Doc can't play the starters 48 minutes so he has to play the new guys and hope they catch on by playoff time.

This is tough on the focus and energy level of the Big Three and Rondo who are all dealing with fatigue and individual slumps.  Take Ray for instance, the lousy ball movement has affected him the most as he gets fewer touches and seldom gets the ball where he needs to get it.  His game, with the C's, is moving without the ball, and when guys are dribbling or looking for their own shot, he doesn't get the ball except as an afterthought, like in the 4th last night, when KG made one pass to many and gave it to Ray in the corner with a guy rushing into his face ---  Ray clanked, it of course.

This slump continues until the 2nd unit and the new guys gel and begin playing better.

In the meantime Doc better start sitting the big Three for a game each to get them some rest.  And sit Rondo again, it's good for him to rest too.

But the C's aren't done by a long shot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

good post R.R.

I think these losses are only gonna make us stronger in the playoffs, as Doc has many things to for us to work on when we get practice time...also, keep in mind in the playoffs, shouldnt be any back to back to keep us grounded,and by the way Rondo looked with a game off, I think they all could use one right now....  What dont kill you can only make you stronger!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Slump:
    [QUOTE]
    good post R.R. I think these losses are only gonna make us stronger in the playoffs, as Doc has many things to for us to work on when we get practice time...also, keep in mind in the playoffs, shouldnt be any back to back to keep us grounded,and by the way Rondo looked with a game off, I think they all could use one right now....  What dont kill you can only make you stronger!

Posted by JayShizzle45
    [/QUOTE]

-

I'm lovin' that attitude, Man, Big Time and den some.

But it can't (this slump) be over soon enough for me.

But you are so right, it will make us stronger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]
    Don't forget the Celts still have 3 weeks to get better and another 2 weeks in the 1st round of the playoffs. No way will the Celts lose to the Knicks in the 1st round. 

Posted by Fiercest34
    [/QUOTE]

-

Once the Celts are out of the slump they're in, I will make a thread about the anatomy of a crow.

-  Fierce

I can't wait to read it.  Will it have a few recipes in it?  Is Crow one of those things best served cold? LOL

I like your timeline, above: it is entirely logical given the fact of the returning Big Men to work the paint, Shaq and JO, as well as time for the newbies to get it together.

Stay positive.  The slump ain't over yet, there is more still to endure.  But light there is at the tunnels end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]
    In Response to Anatomy of a Slump : Great analysis Rajon!  I think you hit the hammer on all the right nails here.  I agree with you.  They are professionals.  They will find a way...

Posted by MsLithium21
    [/QUOTE]

-
    And what do you say to the return of JO?

Could his return mark the beginning of the turnaround that us true believers think is coming.

The Spurs will be tough, but the Celtics have had another 2 days to think about their plight.  I'm not predicting a W, but the C's will play them tough and have beaten them already this season.

It will be interesting to see if the Spurs attack us in the paint the way Indy did.

Instead of all the panic, I'd like to see more posters break down this slump into its component parts and look for ways that the Celts can pull it out.

First JO back, then Shaq, in a few days, by the playoffs you won't recognize this team compared to how they have looked lately.

It's all about getting bodies back and integrating the new bodies.  The rest will come.

The C's will be alright.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Re: The Anatomy of a Slump

Going into San Antoine on Thursday.

What state will the slump be in coming out of San Antoine, that is the question.

JO coming back, Shaq on the 5th, the turnaround will begin, but when will it begin, Thursday or later? 

I say it will begin on Thursday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

EXACTLY!

Rondo's a racehorse who needs to run. These guys are old and cannot keep up for more than a quarter. People refuse to see this. They're not beating anybody down the floor. 300 pound BBD shows more life than any of them right now, but they'll be back.

In NBA years they are ancient. Yeah, the middle's open for business with Perk gone, but 15 pt. quarters?! That's on the offense. If they were open, Rondo would get it to them. It's awful... but it's age. Doc's tried to address this with subs but got handed a bunch of new guys and it's not working out... now, anyway. Green is bigger and better than I thought but looks befuddled.

They're going through the dog days of the season and everyone looks horrible. Try and remember what they looked like the first couple of months. That's what we're hoping for in the playoffs. It could still happen. Think Bill Russell's 68 and 69 teams or... last year. This is awful but there still may be a pot of gold at the end of it all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: The Anatomy of a Slump:
    [QUOTE]
    EXACTLY! Rondo's a racehorse who needs to run. These guys are old and cannot keep up for more than a quarter. People refuse to see this. They're not beating anybody down the floor. 300 pound BBD shows more life than any of them right now, but they'll be back.

In NBA years they are ancient. Yeah, the middle's open for business with Perk gone, but 15 pt. quarters?! That's on the offense. If they were open, Rondo would get it to them. It's awful... but it's age. Doc's tried to address this with subs but got handed a bunch of new guys and it's not working out... now, anyway. Green is bigger and better than I thought but looks befuddled.

They're going through the dog days of the season and everyone looks horrible. Try and remember what they looked like the first couple of months. That's what we're hoping for in the playoffs. It could still happen. Think Bill Russell's 68 and 69 teams or... last year. This is awful but there still may be a pot of gold at the end of it all.

Posted by MrJohnnyMost[/QUOTE]

-

Thanks for keeping it real, as always, Mr Most.

These are some of the worst dog days I can remember of late though we've had our share of slumps before.

The got to start coming out of it sometime and I'm hoping the return of JO gives a little spark of hope and perspective to the guys.  With Shaqs return on the horizon they may get a lift thinking about that.

The ball movement remains poor in the quarters where they're getting only 15 16 points.  That's really affecting Ray badly, but it looks as if Paul has begun to shoot his way out of his slump.

One bright not, as you brought up, is Big Baby -- he's been an absolute beast of late.  It looks like his unconsciously stepping up to spur the other guys on.

But the Celtics will have a new lease on life come the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]
    Once the Celts are out of the slump they're in, I will make a thread about the anatomy of a crow.

Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

-

I think it's time for you to begin working on your 1st draft.

-

The slump had to end somewhere, and I'm betting that it ended tonight.  Now, I'm not saying that they will win tomorrow, the 2nd half of a back-to-back, but no matter, they got back to Celtic basketball tonight, with KG, Paul, Ray & Rondo all breaking out of their respective slumps.  And Green, nuff said.  Baby continues to grow.  (lol)

JO coming back was a huge mental boost as was playing the team with the best record in BB on national TV.

This was an example of Celtic playoff basketball, and believe me the Spurs wanted this one badly too.

Too bad.

It's too bad Kristic went down, and I hope it's not serious (it didn't look serious the way he walked off), but the focus is back, and as soon as the "new guys" stop thinking of themselves as "new guys" and the "old guys" stop referring to them as "new guys" the better  --  they're all Celtics, now.

Go Celts.