The “dominant star call” era in the NBA is like the steroid era in Baseball.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: The “dominant star call” era in the NBA is like the steroid era in Baseball.

Wade not getting calls?  Maybe you didn't see him in the finals against the Mavs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: The “dominant star call” era in the NBA is like the steroid era in Baseball.

Stars get bailed out by calls, it's been true for 20 years as you said. Our get them for sure, I can't remember their beign an imbalance in our favor in '08 but their prob was a slight one. We dewf got hosed in the '09 finals, specifically games 2 and 7. LeBron, Wade and Kobe get them leaps and bounds above anyone in the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think this is more a reflection of he desperation of david stern as compared to the bad judgement of players taking roids.  kind of a contrived analogy when viewed through that lense as the source of the rottenness in one instance is bottom up and the other top down.

but it is rotten both ways.  i don't mind a few extra calls to the big stars but d wade, lebron, kobe, jordan, they all got way too many.  the league is reaching a point in dilution that you (the commish) can order up tons of phantom calls and still have your homer NOT win.  maybe that's why they'll stop it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Acie,

Steroids and dominant star calls may be caused by different sources, but they have the same affect. records mean less, championships are contrived, and accolades are tarnished. Players that don't get these calls are cheated teams are cheated and fans are cheated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

One on one,

I must have missed that series, but I will take your word for it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Rameakap,

Home teams seem to get more calls than road teams, however; it is the consistent star elevating, game changing calls that happen repeatedly, by different referees, that are the shame of the NBA. Charges and blocks are hard to call, but moves that are repeatedly allowed to happen, that are cataloged above, cheat everyone. 

I guess fiction is sometimes more important than the truth, at least the NBA seems to believe it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I agreed until you put the c's down as getting calls but not the lakers?  How often do you see the c's shoot significantly more ft's?  Usually they're out-shot and in big games often by 10-20.  Maybe at home once in a while (like detroit last game) them may shoot 2 or 3 more but that's the exception.  Trust me, I watch this stuff.

Gets the most SS calls:
    1. Durant (and I'm a thunder fan)
    2. Kobe (good at complaining)
    3. Wade/Lebron (these two are like #2 and #3 in the nba and they're on the SAME TEAM?)
    4. Dirk (shoots a lot but deserves a lot)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: The “dominant star call” era in the NBA is like the steroid era in Baseball.:
    [QUOTE]One on one, I must have missed that series, but I will take your word for it.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

You didn't see the Mavs Heat finals a few years ago?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: The “dominant star call” era in the NBA is like the steroid era in Baseball.:
    [QUOTE]I agreed until you put the c's down as getting calls but not the lakers?  How often do you see the c's shoot significantly more ft's?  Usually they're out-shot and in big games often by 10-20.  Maybe at home once in a while (like detroit last game) them may shoot 2 or 3 more but that's the exception.  Trust me, I watch this stuff. Gets the most SS calls: 1. Durant (and I'm a thunder fan) 2. Kobe (good at complaining) 3. Wade/Lebron (these two are like #2 and #3 in the nba and they're on the SAME TEAM?) 4. Dirk (shoots a lot but deserves a lot)
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

Your exactly right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Maybe the author wasnt' saying that those were the teams that got the most calls.  Maybe he was truly saying these were the greatest teams that played in this era?  It doesn't really flow with the rest of the post, but as I read it again I think that's maybe the case.

OOO, the miami/dallas series game 3 was the worst case of officials deciding the outcome of any game I've ever seen, including the infamous lakers/kings game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

If Pierce got calls like Rose does going to the basket, he'd score 50 points a night.

The league clearly tries to elevate the status of some players.  It is cheating and the league is complicit in it.  It tarneshes the outcome of just about every game and series, since the fans believe the refs play games with the calls.  It's a shame when fans start watching the officiating and not the game.  It is amazing with how much $$ is involved in every game, for the life of the league, they either can't put refs on the floor who can make consistent calls, or just don't have any interest in it.

Just to throw a wrench into the thread.  Do you think some pitchers or batters get a different strike zone?  So MLB can sell certain stars?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]Wade not getting calls?  Maybe you didn't see him in the finals against the Mavs.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

That one tops them all!! what ever is second is not even close.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]One on one, I must have missed that series, but I will take your word for it.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

The calls Wade got in that series were embarrassing to the league. If Dallas breathed on him, he was at the foul line.  It was just silly at one point.  Poor Mavs had NO chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Cole-ely:  

Gets the most SS calls:
    1. Durant (and I'm a thunder fan)
    2. Kobe (good at complaining)
    3. Wade/Lebron (these two are like #2 and #3 in the nba and they're on the SAME TEAM?)
    4. Dirk (shoots a lot but deserves a lot)

Put Lebron up there second and your list would be right.  Kobe doesn't get as many calls as he used to and Lebron now gets WAY more than he should.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Cole-ely,

The players listed, and teams listed, were the greatest teams of the dominant stat call era. They were teams that did not receive the benefit of dominant star calls and still dominated the league. While I have drawn some critics about Duane Wade, isn't it interesting that critics only question picks for the best players that did not recieve dominant star calls. 

My guess is that the NBA believes that fans are either stupid, or that they don't care enough to object with their feet.  They must also believe that they crossed the line in 2009 because the number of players, and the number of dominant star calls have been reduced this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

One on One ,

Name a subsitute for Wade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Cole ely,

Dirk is not getting the "DSC " this year, however; did you see him use his elbows to knock out Baby last year? Do you remember that Baby fouled Dirk with his chin by allowing it to be hit with Dirk's elbows?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

jeezem,

I got so angry when I saw "DSC" I swore at the TV.  I even stopped watching for a while after last year's finals. The thing that made me come back, was that I heard Lebron was no longer getting "DSC", and neither was Kobe.

I was disappointed after the last Bulls and Magic games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

[QUOTE]i think this is more a reflection of he desperation of david stern as compared to the bad judgement of players taking roids.  kind of a contrived analogy when viewed through that lense as the source of the rottenness in one instance is bottom up and the other top down. but it is rotten both ways.  i don't mind a few extra calls to the big stars but d wade, lebron, kobe, jordan, they all got way too many.  the league is reaching a point in dilution that you (the commish) can order up tons of phantom calls and still have your homer NOT win.  maybe that's why they'll stop it.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Yeah, one can make an argument that it's downright cheating.   Freaking David Stern's hitmen, always up to no good and caused the Celts banner 18 last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Stars have always recieved the benefit of the doubt.  Even in the Paelolithic Era of the NBA this was the case.  Russell in his book "Second Wind" wrote about this. He said that refs often winked at his goal tending and he constantly complained that Bob Petit walked everytime he shot.  Finally one ref just smiled and replied, "He might have walked but he didn't go very far."

As in all other aspects of life, those with a good reputation get the benefit of the doubt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Pauli, to some degree, I disagree.

There is a difference between the benefit of the doubt and allowing certain chosen stars a dominating advantage.

Yes, Mchale did walk every time he did his "footwork" but that was not a dominating advantage that was allowed later, starting with Jordan.  When Howard drives his shoulder with as much force as he can muster, into the center of his opponents chest, and the foul is called on the stationary defender, and not Howard, that is a dominating advantage. It is called that way in every game by different referee crews. Before Lebron joined the Heat, he was allowed to tuck the ball under his arm like Adrian Peterson, lower his shoulder, and run to the basket. Sometimes he would take four steps, sometime he would take three. That is a significant dominating advantage for a guy that weighs more than 250 lbs. It happened in different games with different referee crews.

Against the Nuggets, Kobe elbowed a player in the head for stealing the ball, and it was a foul on the Nugget Player. In the same series, K-mart was playing strong defense. Kobe from a standing position pretended to fall toward K-mart who was several feet away from him. As he fell he hit K-mart in the nuts with his arm. Guess what... the fowl was on K-mart. 

When certain stars consistently get the their pet moves with every referee crew, when they are clearly fouls, It cheats everyone. When that pet move means 15 or 20 free throws per game, or mean 15 or 20 points, then that is a dominating advantage.

There is a clear difference between getting the benefit of the doubt, and systematic dominating advantages.