The Case For and Against Asik

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

The Case For and Against Asik

http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/12/17/5219894/the-pros-and-cons-of-trading-for-omer-asik-boston-celtics-houston-rockets

The Pros:

When Asik was on the floor, the Rockets allowed only 103.95 points per 100 possessions. But when he was off the floor, that number ballooned up to 111.86 points.

That's an absurd difference of 8 points, supporting the belief that Asik is one of the elite defenders of the NBA. But you might be asking, "Well, when Asik was off the floor, more often than not, the rest of the starting unit would be too, so the numbers are skewed."

But that isn't the case. In fact, the numbers are more staggering if Houston's starting core was on the floor sans Asik. So, when Harden and Parsons were both always on the floor, and Asik was either on or off, check out these numbers:

Omer Asik Points Per 100 Possessions On the Floor 104.31 Off the Floor 114.09

Again, the numbers show that Asik is an impact defender whenever he's playing. With the starting core still on the floor, but Asik off, the Rockets allowed almost 10 more points per 100 possessions. These numbers are jaw dropping, and once again signal that he is undeniably one of the best defenders in the NBA.

This season, because of SportVU player tracking, we know that Asik ranks near the top of the league at grabbing contested rebounds, with 46.1 percent. For the sake of comparison, here are Asik's numbers this season compared to a handful of some of the league's best rebounders.

Name Rebounds Per 36 Minutes Contested Rebounds Per Game Contested Rebound Percentage Kevin Love 13.6 5.4 39.4 Dwight Howard 13.2 4.6 34.5 David Lee 9.8 3.3 33.3 Roy Hibbert 8.8 4.3 48.1 Omer Asik 6.8 3.1 46.1

The column you really want to be looking at is the fourth one, as I believe contested rebounds secured provides a glimpse into how competitive a player is when fighting for a ball. After all, grabbing a rebound with no one around you doesn't hold the same value as one with an opponent nearby.

But if Asik were acquired, it would mean the Celtics lose one of their own best defenders in Brandon Bass. So, who would start at power forward? Would Jared Sullinger, who seems to be getting better each night, move to the four?

Kris Humphries, who I believe would be the best choice to start if Bass were traded. Humphries isn't as good of a man-to-man defender as Bass, but he's a better rebounder, which, in my opinion, makes up for any difference in defensive skills.

Humphries averages 11 rebounds per 36 minutes over the course of his career, compared to only 7.6 for Bass. Even though rebounding isn't usually included into discussions about defense, it should be; a possession isn't concluded until a shot is made or a rebound is secured, anyway.

For detail on the rest of the Pros and Cons go to the story @ http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/12/17/5219894/the-pros-and-cons-of-trading-for-omer-asik-boston-celtics-houston-rockets

Pro: Asik would help the Celtics in the future

Con: The chemistry could be disturbed

What about Asik's "poison pill" contract?

If ownership is willing to pay Asik $14.9MM when his cap hit for 2014-15' will only be $8.4MM I think it's fair to say that CELTIC OWNERSHIP IS NOT CHEAP!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: The Case For and Against Asik

I hate the draft choice, but with the way we draft......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mployee

I guess math is not really one of your strengths, huh?

After this season, Asik only has 15m left, right?

But Bass and Lee still have still have 18m left after this season!

The Celts actually saved money in this deal.

Get it?

[/QUOTE]

There aren't a lot of teams willing to pay $15MM for him next year. No matter how you sugarcoat it, ownership is getting a guy being paid $5MM this season and $15MM next. And while Bass & Lee may be going, others will be added or bigger contracts given to AB and Craw so it's not that much of a savings. Bass only has one more year on his contract after this season. MEH!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Mployee8's comment:

[QUOTE]

There aren't a lot of teams willing to pay $15MM for him next year. No matter how you sugarcoat it, ownership is getting a guy being paid $5MM this season and $15MM next. And while Bass & Lee may be going, others will be added or bigger contracts given to AB and Craw so it's not that much of a savings. Bass only has one more year on his contract after this season. MEH!!!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Lee has 2 years left for 11.1m after this season.

The Celtic ownership has a track record for being cheap.

Remember, why Posey and TA left?

Both Posey and TA just wanted an additional year added to their contract, but the Celts refused.

It's not sugarcoating, Celts save a total of 3m in this deal.

That's a fact!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but it's a 2 for 1 deal and they may have to replace Lee if Brooks doesn't develop quickly. Otherwise they have to still get lucky and find that player in the draft and they also want to upgrade Green so that means two good picks in the draft or one and resigning Hump. The $3MM over two years works out to $1.5MM/yr which will get you nothing but another Brooks or Pressey. It will end up costing more in the long run. And, the point is, there are few if any teams willing to swallow the Asik poison pill and Mannix is reporting now that it's just the C's in the running ... W/O being able to extend him and no assurance of resigning him at a reasonable figure, little if any body of work this year to assure a team of his strengths and a balloon payment of $15MM next year it's no wonder that there are no other takers at this point. Philly would do it cause they are below the team minimum and need to add salary or pay a penalty to the league and they could always flip him by the deadline but where are all the contenders?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

This is so stupid.

So many of us foresaw the Lee & Bass for Asik way before the season even started.

Now its too much. Lee is a much better player. Asik is a whiney littlle bratch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Asik has to prove he is better than Fav.  Asik will jam up the middle and take that space that Sullinger needs to operate.  If Asik is so good why did Houston go for Howard?  Asik can not spread the floor like Fav.  Does Asik have the speed to run with the team?  The main benefit I see is reducing the logjam at power forward and shooting guard.  I will need to see if his game hurts Sulliinger's game.  Does his man roam the middle stopping everybody's penetration?  He is 27 or is it 28 years old. Do we now try to win or do we trade him?  Lots of questions about this guy.  Who will replace Lee?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In terms of Player Efficiency Ratings for centers, Asik is ranked 40th in the NBA behind Jermaine O'Neal and......Vitor Faverani.

He is, however, ahead of Olynyk.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

I have no doubt he'll be great at perimeter defense and breaking up the pick & roll but he and Sully won't be able to operate on the court at the same time much like Howard and Asik. Sully should stay at Center with Fav and the PF's s/b Hump & Oly.

I'll be pleased to see the C's get a real Center finally but Bass & Lee along with Crawford and Bradley are/were a big part of that success. I expect that the reconfiguration will take some time for Brad to get them winning again but hope that I'm wrong and they click faster than expected.

Funny, I have mixed emotions ... I thought this team was too good to tank and really thought Danny's hand would be forced to become a buyer but now that it's happening I guess it's a case of "be careful what you wish for." That said, if Danny is able to replace the scoring we will surely miss from Bass & Lee with another addition and still has the assets to get two good draft picks or trade up for one great one, along with the TPE and the expiring contracts of Bogans & Hump, I'm confident that he will find/add the right pieces to establish a core for next season.

PS: Now watch Atlanta swoop in and steal Asik from the C's ....