the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)

With some of the piling on that goes on around here regarding danny ainge, I thought I’d take a short look at some of the draft choices made by danny and some of our past GMs. Just for the fun of it.

Ainge took over in 2003, ushered Antoine walker out of town, and started the rebuilding process. Since then, we’ve passed on players in the draft that many have been vocal about on this board, but we’ve also drafted players that, when put in place around the big 3, brought us a title and returned us to the top of the NBA. Have there been some draft-night misses? Sure, but it happens to other teams as well, and it happened to us before danny ainge returned to boston in ’03.

Before ainge, chris Wallace and jan volk called the shots, while being closely scrutinized by red, of course. There was also the pitino factor to consider. His influence also left a mark on the Celtics. Nonetheless, and purely for the fun of it…

We all know what happened in ’86.

In ’87, we nabbed reggie lewis, which also ended badly.

In ’89, we drafted Michael smith ahead of players like tim hardaway, shawn kemp and vlade divac.

In ’92, we took jon berry ahead of latrell spreewell.

In ’95, we took eric Williams ahead of Michael finley.

In ’96, we took walker (not a horrible pick) ahead of kobe bryant and steve nash.

In ’97, we drafted ron mercer ahead of tracy mcgrady. We also drafted Chauncey billups, but traded him before the end of his first season in boston.

In ’98, paul pierce fell into our laps. Nice.

In ’99, we had no 1st round pick, having apparently traded it to cleveland. I can’t remember who we traded that pick for.

In 2000, another pretty weak draft, we took Jerome moiso and passed on Michael redd, along with every other team in the league.

In ‘01, we drafted joe Johnson (another good player who was shipped out of town too soon) and kedrick brown, leaving zach randolph, Gerald Wallace, tony parker, gilbert arenas and mehmet okur for other teams to take.

No pick in ’02. Don’t remember why.

In ’03, there was some dealing and we ended up with perk and marcus banks. Not horrible obviously. But we could have had josh howard, among others.

’04 was a solid draft. al jefferson, delonte west and tony allen all became important building blocks, one way or another, that led to our recent success.

’05 was a swing and a miss, taking Gerald green ahead of guys like david lee, ersan ilyasova and monta ellis. We even screwed up the second round.

Rondo was arguably the best player to come out of the ’06 draft. a solid pick.

’07 gave us the big 3.

’08 was the much-discussed giddens over Jordan draft, as we had the last pick in the 1st round.

No pick in ’09 b/c of KG trade.

Avery Bradley in 2010 is starting to look like a pretty decent pick and the verdict is still out on 2011 at this point.

I guess my point in doing this was just to look back and take a look at how ainge compares to what we were doing here in the 15-20 years or so before he arrived. I think it’s arguable that ainge has done better than anyone who’s been calling the shots since the mid-80s or early 90s. Just food for thought.

It should be noted that I was not really looking at what our needs were when we drafted, just that we passed on players who would eventually become better than the players that we took. There were also some pretty lean years in there. In the 80s and early 90s, we usually drafted pretty late in the first round. Other years, ’93 for example, were so bad that even taking eric montross was not a horrible pick. That draft totally sucked.

Basically, I was just looking to see if ainge has been the only one to occasionally screw the pooch in the draft. Obviously, he has not been the only one, and even red made some horrible decisions on draft night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)

In Response to the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!):
    [QUOTE]With some of the piling on that goes on around here regarding danny ainge, I thought I’d take a short look at some of the draft choices made by danny and some of our past GMs. Just for the fun of it.   Ainge took over in 2003, ushered Antoine walker out of town, and started the rebuilding process. Since then, we’ve passed on players in the draft that many have been vocal about on this board, but we’ve also drafted players that, when put in place around the big 3, brought us a title and returned us to the top of the NBA. Have there been some draft-night misses? Sure, but it happens to other teams as well, and it happened to us before danny ainge returned to boston in ’03.   Before ainge, chris Wallace and jan volk called the shots, while being closely scrutinized by red, of course. There was also the pitino factor to consider. His influence also left a mark on the Celtics. Nonetheless, and purely for the fun of it…   We all know what happened in ’86.   In ’87, we nabbed reggie lewis, which also ended badly.   In ’89, we drafted Michael smith ahead of players like tim hardaway, shawn kemp and vlade divac.   In ’92, we took jon berry ahead of latrell spreewell.   In ’95, we took eric Williams ahead of Michael finley.   In ’96, we took walker (not a horrible pick) ahead of kobe bryant and steve nash.   In ’97, we drafted ron mercer ahead of tracy mcgrady. We also drafted Chauncey billups, but traded him before the end of his first season in boston.   In ’98, paul pierce fell into our laps. Nice.   In ’99, we had no 1 st round pick, having apparently traded it to cleveland. I can’t remember who we traded that pick for.   In 2000, another pretty weak draft, we took Jerome moiso and passed on Michael redd, along with every other team in the league.   In ‘01, we drafted joe Johnson (another good player who was shipped out of town too soon) and kedrick brown, leaving zach randolph, Gerald Wallace, tony parker, gilbert arenas and mehmet okur for other teams to take.   No pick in ’02. Don’t remember why.   In ’03, there was some dealing and we ended up with perk and marcus banks. Not horrible obviously. But we could have had josh howard, among others.   ’04 was a solid draft. al jefferson, delonte west and tony allen all became important building blocks, one way or another, that led to our recent success.   ’05 was a swing and a miss, taking Gerald green ahead of guys like david lee, ersan ilyasova and monta ellis. We even screwed up the second round.   Rondo was arguably the best player to come out of the ’06. a solid pick.   ’07 gave us the big 3.   ’08 was the much-discussed giddens over Jordan draft, as we had the last pick in the 1 st round.   No pick in ’09 b/c of KG trade.   Avery Bradley in 2010 is starting to look like a pretty decent pick and the verdict is still out on 2011 at this point.   I guess my point in doing this was just to look back and take a look at how ainge compares to what we were doing here in the 15-20 years or so before he arrived. I think it’s arguable that ainge has done better than anyone who’s been calling the shots since the mid-80s or early 90s. Just food for thought.   It should be noted that I was not really looking at what our needs were when we drafted, just that we passed on players who would eventually become better than the players that we took. There were also some pretty lean years in there. In the 80s and early 90s, we usually drafted pretty late in the first round. Other years, ’93 for example, were so bad that even taking eric montross was not a horrible pick. That draft totally sucked.   Basically, I was just looking to see if ainge has been the only one to occasionally screw the pooch in the draft. Obviously, he has not been the only one, and even red made some horrible decisions on draft night.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

interesting post

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!):
    [QUOTE]With some of the piling on that goes on around here regarding danny ainge, I thought I’d take a short look at some of the draft choices made by danny and some of our past GMs. Just for the fun of it.   Ainge took over in 2003, ushered Antoine walker out of town, and started the rebuilding process. Since then, we’ve passed on players in the draft that many have been vocal about on this board, but we’ve also drafted players that, when put in place around the big 3, brought us a title and returned us to the top of the NBA. Have there been some draft-night misses? Sure, but it happens to other teams as well, and it happened to us before danny ainge returned to boston in ’03.   Before ainge, chris Wallace and jan volk called the shots, while being closely scrutinized by red, of course. There was also the pitino factor to consider. His influence also left a mark on the Celtics. Nonetheless, and purely for the fun of it…   We all know what happened in ’86.   In ’87, we nabbed reggie lewis, which also ended badly.   In ’89, we drafted Michael smith ahead of players like tim hardaway, shawn kemp and vlade divac.   In ’92, we took jon berry ahead of latrell spreewell.   In ’95, we took eric Williams ahead of Michael finley.   In ’96, we took walker (not a horrible pick) ahead of kobe bryant and steve nash.   In ’97, we drafted ron mercer ahead of tracy mcgrady. We also drafted Chauncey billups, but traded him before the end of his first season in boston.   In ’98, paul pierce fell into our laps. Nice.   In ’99, we had no 1 st round pick, having apparently traded it to cleveland. I can’t remember who we traded that pick for.   In 2000, another pretty weak draft, we took Jerome moiso and passed on Michael redd, along with every other team in the league.   In ‘01, we drafted joe Johnson (another good player who was shipped out of town too soon) and kedrick brown, leaving zach randolph, Gerald Wallace, tony parker, gilbert arenas and mehmet okur for other teams to take.   No pick in ’02. Don’t remember why.   In ’03, there was some dealing and we ended up with perk and marcus banks. Not horrible obviously. But we could have had josh howard, among others.   ’04 was a solid draft. al jefferson, delonte west and tony allen all became important building blocks, one way or another, that led to our recent success.   ’05 was a swing and a miss, taking Gerald green ahead of guys like david lee, ersan ilyasova and monta ellis. We even screwed up the second round.   Rondo was arguably the best player to come out of the ’06. a solid pick.   ’07 gave us the big 3.   ’08 was the much-discussed giddens over Jordan draft, as we had the last pick in the 1 st round.   No pick in ’09 b/c of KG trade.   Avery Bradley in 2010 is starting to look like a pretty decent pick and the verdict is still out on 2011 at this point.   I guess my point in doing this was just to look back and take a look at how ainge compares to what we were doing here in the 15-20 years or so before he arrived. I think it’s arguable that ainge has done better than anyone who’s been calling the shots since the mid-80s or early 90s. Just food for thought.   It should be noted that I was not really looking at what our needs were when we drafted, just that we passed on players who would eventually become better than the players that we took. There were also some pretty lean years in there. In the 80s and early 90s, we usually drafted pretty late in the first round. Other years, ’93 for example, were so bad that even taking eric montross was not a horrible pick. That draft totally sucked.   Basically, I was just looking to see if ainge has been the only one to occasionally screw the pooch in the draft. Obviously, he has not been the only one, and even red made some horrible decisions on draft night.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

They have had very few chances to actually draft legit talent - Montross in the top 10, Moiso at 11, Forte at 11, Walker, Pierce, Billups, Mercer, Telfair (trade), Foye / Roy for Ray, etc......  so of course they have not drafted any good players because drum roll please..... if you are decent team you have very little chance of drafting any actual real players.......  the two additional years of Pierce will prolong the mediocrity and it all comes down to Danny messing this up or a major coup.....  my guess is there is no major coup to be had and that the 2nd half of Danny's legacy will end up like the second half of the Dumars' legacy....  add a couple of players that prolong mediocrity until they actually s uck enough to actually get legit talent......  we will all see how this unfolds, I bet against Danny's ability to make whirlwind trades that are what I would call once-in-a-career moves.... there is this unbelievable almost incomprehensible notion that Danny kind of hookwinked the league once and that it is so commonplace that he will do it again.....  he sent Al Jefferson to Minny and if Rubio were healthy there would be absolutely no chance the Cs would be able to beat Minny......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Snoopsnizzle. Show Snoopsnizzle's posts

In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!):
    [QUOTE]In Response to the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : They have had very few chances to actually draft legit talent - Montross in the top 10, Moiso at 11, Forte at 11, Walker, Pierce, Billups, Mercer, Telfair (trade), Foye / Roy for Ray, etc......  so of course they have not drafted any good players because drum roll please..... if you are decent team you have very little chance of drafting any actual real players.......  the two additional years of Pierce will prolong the mediocrity and it all comes down to Danny messing this up or a major coup.....  my guess is there is no major coup to be had and that the 2nd half of Danny's legacy will end up like the second half of the Dumars' legacy....  add a couple of players that prolong mediocrity until they actually s uck enough to actually get legit talent......  we will all see how this unfolds, I bet against Danny's ability to make whirlwind trades that are what I would call once-in-a-career moves.... there is this unbelievable almost incomprehensible notion that Danny kind of hookwinked the league once and that it is so commonplace that he will do it again.....  he sent Al Jefferson to Minny and if Rubio were healthy there would be absolutely no chance the Cs would be able to beat Minny......
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Good post. The only way I see Danny having a resurrection as GM of the Celtics is if Kevin McHale becomes the GM of another team and then gives Danny that team's star player for nothing.

Go Celtics!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

holy cripes, a dead body making the decisions could have made better decisions than the duo of doom of chris wallace and rick pitino- there was nowhere to go but up..... RIGHT?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : Good post. The only way I see Danny having a resurrection as GM of the Celtics is if Kevin McHale becomes the GM of another team and then gives Danny that team's star player for nothing. Go Celtics!!
    Posted by Snoopsnizzle[/QUOTE]

Drizzle... ..   a proud Celtic fan for nearly 1 week now!    True Celtic fans don't hide their history behind multiple identities...     cowards, liars, slanderers, and trolls do.   

Would you please inform us what your other BDC Id's are?      

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : They have had very few chances to actually draft legit talent - Montross in the top 10, Moiso at 11, Forte at 11, Walker, Pierce, Billups, Mercer, Telfair (trade), Foye / Roy for Ray, etc......  so of course they have not drafted any good players because drum roll please..... if you are decent team you have very little chance of drafting any actual real players.......  the two additional years of Pierce will prolong the mediocrity and it all comes down to Danny messing this up or a major coup.....  Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

and there you have it.  the devil is in the details.  two add'l years of pierce.  then there was the one additional year of B cups 'sheed on our cap that MURDERED our mid level exception last year and the additional year of jerlame o'neal who gobbled up our mid level this year for nothing but an apparition of a once servicable 5 and he didn't break soon enough to get his money off the books.

TWO more years of pierce after this one....  WHY?  we could have gotten right down to it after this year with KG's 27 million USD leacherous contract gone and have a core going forward of ....  rondo. 

Another way to look at this is how is Pierce- who nearly wore out his desire to play basketball on almost ten years of LOUSY celts teams with the exception of 2002, going to respond to playing on a team that has no chance once again at age 33/4?  why do you want him on that team?

So it's a nice gesture to Pierce.  Just the same, this isn't the old NBA any more- players make 10's of millions a year and the notion of retiring a "insert your franchise name here" is long gone.  What is a nice gesture to pierce becomes a delay in the ability to fully rebuild.  it's a stupid move overall.  not just for the team but for pierce who will be stuck in stinko-land or maybe 6 to 8 seed-land.

hell, we aren't that much better than that right now at the end of this season with the CRAPOLA danny rounded up for a bench.  we signed jerlame o'neal after he shot something like 2% field goals against us in a sweep of the heat.  how could anyone think you'd get anything more than one year out of him, at the MOST?  why didn't we buy him OUT last summer and proceed with acquiring some real solution at 5 and now it's all up to steamer, a nice pickup for nothing but not a primary #5 option for an elite team.

these are the details that will dog danny's legacy, in my view.  it seemed to me like he signed the big 3 and then exhaled and didn't do a lot else.  maybe avery bradley will pan out- but a 6-2 shooting guard?  he's a great defensive player and the anti-playmaker.  can he be a 6-2 tony allen i guess is the question to be answered.  we shall see.

but overall, a lot of details that i can come up with that's i really can't be accused of a "20/20 hindsight backseat driver" on but just basic common sense that danny came up empty on.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

and to say danny is going the way of dumars- i sure hope he doesn't.  dumars made several self inflicted signings of the WRONGEST players possible- the most notable- the inimitable charlie villanueva, the modern day mark blount with just a smidgen more desire.....  to shoot the ball that is.

so let's be clear- danny is NO DUMARS' second chapter right now and the two extra years of pierce don't constitute that.  the pistons won it in 2004 and have been on the slide since- that's 8 years of the flip side of dumars with no rebuilding accomplished.

this next year is a seminal year of danny proving he knows what he's doing and getting us into rebuilding and not trying to cobble something together that isn't there like dumars did

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"  The only way I see Danny having a resurrection as GM of the Celtics is if Kevin McHale becomes the GM of another team and then gives Danny that team's star player for nothing. "

That's a brutal quip but also brutally unfair and simplistic. Have a look at what Danny did in the drafts from '03 to '06 - that was good work and some important building blocks for championship and NBA finals teams - and he did it without any super high picks either. He made those good picks without the help of Kevin McHale, and by the way, to refresh your memory, Al Jefferson was considered a very good player at the time, enough so that a minority did think that Minny got the better of that trade. Yes, no doubt McHale made a Celtics-friendly trade there, but without the pieces, that ring would not have happened. 

That said where we do agree is that Ainge has dug himself a hole  in recent years and he has a lot to prove to get back on the GM A list. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

p.s. kaktug - very nice job

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

thanks, i forgot to mention forte in '01. another pick at the heavy hand of red, who was taken above all the guys i mentioned in the post above. anyone who watched UNC that year, knew forte was coming out way too early.

i did not mention acie earl in '93. not a player, but can't really fault the pick, considering where we were picking and how weak the draft was that year.

i also did not mention rick fox, dee brown and brian shaw, decent role player types in '89, '90 and '91.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

no history is complete without saying "john schweitz" and "wayne kreklow"

but seriously, glen davis was also left out.  he was a throw in second round draft pick on the ray allen deal, that I believe the celts instructed the sonics to pick davis for us, so really "our pick" .... 

aside from acquiring allen and KG- one of my favorite danny ainge moves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Here's my ideal Celtics roster for 2012-13

Starting Line-up

Chris Kaman (FA)

Kevin Garnett (FA)

Paul Pierce

Michael Pietrus (FA)

Rajon Rondo

Bench

Brandon Bass (exercises his player option)

Avery Bradley

Jeff Greene (accepts qualifying offer and agrees to long term deal in October)

Greg Stiemsma (FA)

Jujuan Johnson

E'twan Moore

Terrence Jones (SF/PF Kentucky, taken with 18th overall draft pick)

Tony Mitchell (SF/PF North Texas, taken with 24th overall draft pick)

Kim English (SG Missouri, taken with 40th overall draft pick) 

Quincy Acy (PF Baylor, taken with 47th overall draft pick)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) :    Drizzle... ..   a proud Celtic fan for nearly 1 week now!    True Celtic fans don't hide their history behind multiple identities...     cowards, liars, slanderers, and trolls do.    Would you please inform us what your other BDC Id's are?      
    Posted by videoburns[/QUOTE]

Tayshawn, null and RicoCeltic!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my ideal Celtics roster for 2012-13 Starting Line-up Chris Kaman (FA) Kevin Garnett (FA) Paul Pierce Michael Pietrus (FA) Rajon Rondo Bench Brandon Bass (exercises his player option) Avery Bradley Jeff Greene (accepts qualifying offer and agrees to long term deal in October) Greg Stiemsma (FA) Jujuan Johnson E'twan Moore Terrence Jones (SF/PF Kentucky, taken with 18th overall draft pick) Tony Mitchell (SF/PF North Texas, taken with 24th overall draft pick) Kim English (SG Missouri, taken with 40th overall draft pick)  Quincy Acy (PF Baylor, taken with 47th overall draft pick)
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

i'd rather see us go after mcgee over kaman. and bradley could potentially start over pietrus. i know that gives us a small backcourt, but we could start either depending on the matchup.

either way, under your proposal, we're not going out and spending all of our potential cap space. depends on what we'd resign KG for, i guess.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : i'd rather see us go after mcgee over kaman. and bradley could potentially start over pietrus. i know that gives us a small backcourt, but we could start either depending on the matchup. either way, under your proposal, we're not going out and spending all of our potential cap space. depends on what we'd resign KG for, i guess.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

Kamen wouldn't come cheap.  I'm thinking at least 5 years, $60 million.  KG would accept no less than $10 million (Ray Allen's cap space) on a 1 year deal (maybe a team option for 2013-14).  Jeff Greene you're paying him at least $8-10 million/year on a long term deal.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : Kamen wouldn't come cheap.  I'm thinking at least 5 years, $60 million.  KG would accept no less than $10 million (Ray Allen's cap space) on a 1 year deal (maybe a team option for 2013-14).  Jeff Greene you're paying him at least $8-10 million/year on a long term deal.   
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

i could be wrong, but i doubt jeff green is going to command that kind of money coming back from heart surgery and a year off from basketball, until he shows he's fully back. again, i'd go after a younger center like mcgee who can run the floor with rondo. we saw what rondo/wilcox could do together and wilcox is not a star in this league. rondo/mcgee could be a very nice pairing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

In response to "Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : and there you have it.  the devil is in the details.  two add'l years of pierce.  then there was the one additional year of B cups 'sheed on our cap that MURDERED our mid level exception last year and the additional year of jerlame o'neal who gobbled up our mid level this year for nothing but an apparition of a once servicable 5 and he didn't break soon enough to get his money off the books. TWO more years of pierce after this one....  WHY?  we could have gotten right down to it after this year with KG's 27 million USD leacherous contract gone and have a core going forward of ....  rondo.  Another way to look at this is how is Pierce- who nearly wore out his desire to play basketball on almost ten years of LOUSY celts teams with the exception of 2002, going to respond to playing on a team that has no chance once again at age 33/4?  why do you want him on that team? So it's a nice gesture to Pierce.  Just the same, this isn't the old NBA any more- players make 10's of millions a year and the notion of retiring a "insert your franchise name here" is long gone.  What is a nice gesture to pierce becomes a delay in the ability to fully rebuild.  it's a stupid move overall.  not just for the team but for pierce who will be stuck in stinko-land or maybe 6 to 8 seed-land. hell, we aren't that much better than that right now at the end of this season with the CRAPOLA danny rounded up for a bench.  we signed jerlame o'neal after he shot something like 2% field goals against us in a sweep of the heat.  how could anyone think you'd get anything more than one year out of him, at the MOST?  why didn't we buy him OUT last summer and proceed with acquiring some real solution at 5 and now it's all up to steamer, a nice pickup for nothing but not a primary #5 option for an elite team. these are the details that will dog danny's legacy, in my view.  it seemed to me like he signed the big 3 and then exhaled and didn't do a lot else.  maybe avery bradley will pan out- but a 6-2 shooting guard?  he's a great defensive player and the anti-playmaker.  can he be a 6-2 tony allen i guess is the question to be answered.  we shall see. but overall, a lot of details that i can come up with that's i really can't be accused of a "20/20 hindsight backseat driver" on but just basic common sense that danny came up empty on..... Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE] Mis Level is an annual exception so signing Rasheed to the full mid level for 3 years didnt prevent us from using it the following year on Jermaine. Signing Jermaine didn't prevent us from using it this season but due to a change in the CBA all we had was mini mid level which we used on wilcox

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

In response to "Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : i could be wrong, but i doubt jeff green is going to command that kind of money coming back from heart surgery and a year off from basketball, until he shows he's fully back. again, i'd go after a younger center like mcgee who can run the floor with rondo. we saw what rondo/wilcox could do together and wilcox is not a star in this league. rondo/mcgee could be a very nice pairing. Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE] Totally agree. Think he signs a one year deal for 5M or under just to show he is healthy

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)": Mis Level is an annual exception so signing Rasheed to the full mid level for 3 years didnt prevent us from using it the following year on Jermaine. Signing Jermaine didn't prevent us from using it this season but due to a change in the CBA all we had was mini mid level which we used on wilcox
    Posted by Rebels345209[/QUOTE]

it sure shot the crap out of the cap.  i don't think these owners have gone over the cap, have they?

there is no defense for signing o'neal for two years with one year laying over into a new CBA.  indefensible and no way to get out of that by trading for cap space.  furthermore, his contract at X dollars signed two years ago for this year is effectively that much more overpaid under a new CBA where the cap has shrunk by what- 10% or more?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

In response to "Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!) : it sure shot the crap out of the cap.  i don't think these owners have gone over the cap, have they? there is no defense for signing o'neal for two years with one year laying over into a new CBA.  indefensible and no way to get out of that by trading for cap space.  furthermore, his contract at X dollars signed two years ago for this year is effectively that much more overpaid under a new CBA where the cap has shrunk by what- 10% or more? Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE] Trust me I'm not defending the contract length of sheed or JO

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: the celts, the draft and danny ainge (long and rambling!)": [QUOTE]Here's my ideal Celtics roster for 2012-13 Starting Line-up Chris Kaman (FA) Kevin Garnett (FA) Paul Pierce Michael Pietrus (FA) Rajon Rondo Bench Brandon Bass (exercises his player option) Avery Bradley Jeff Greene (accepts qualifying offer and agrees to long term deal in October) Greg Stiemsma (FA) Jujuan Johnson E'twan Moore Terrence Jones (SF/PF Kentucky, taken with 18th overall draft pick) Tony Mitchell (SF/PF North Texas, taken with 24th overall draft pick) Kim English (SG Missouri, taken with 40th overall draft pick)  Quincy Acy (PF Baylor, taken with 47th overall draft pick) Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Wonderful. This team finishes second in east and gets knocked out of playoffs in round one or two. Then Pierce and Garnett are done. BTW...if you have Pietrus as your starting SG, you will not have a winner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Wonderful. This team finishes second in east and gets knocked out of playoffs in round one or two. Then Pierce and Garnett are done. BTW...if you have Pietrus as your starting SG, you will not have a winner.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall that many posters here believe that with the draft picks (none of which can play, even the ones that have yet to be drafted) just need some playing time and development and they along with Rondo and the remaining 2 years will have the Cs right back at it against the Heat, Bulls, and of course the teams that are up and coming like Indy and Philly, etc.....