This Green thing just gets worse and worse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

This Green thing just gets worse and worse

Ouch! 

This is a look into Jeff Green's current thought process and mental outlook going into a season where he is expected to be the team's first scoring option.  

“If I just look to score, then there’s one thing on my mind — score. I’m a great player. I can tell when it’s the right pass to make if that player steps up on the defensive end. I just have to continue to be aggressive and I guess shoot first.” 

Beside the fact that the statement makes almost no sense, the very fact that he and other people involved continue to actually think he may be able to be the guy is maddening and disconcerting.

He's in way over his head, and the sooner some other player or players say, "Thanks for trying Jeff, I'll take it from here. Relax and chip in where and when you can," the better the team dynamic will be.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: This Green thing just gets worse and worse

Jeff Green is a backup small forward.

That's it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, I love reading your posts but you should stop telling people what they're thinking.  I don't know how many people you "accuse" of demanding Jeff Green to be the #1, go to guy.

Like many people on this board, I don't expect Green to be the Celtics #1 guy although it'd be good if he were.  I'm simply asking him to be consistent.

Regardless of the title given to him, he is expected to carry a decent amount of the scoring burden for this team.  Again, I'm not hoping he steps up and averages 22 points per game although he has the "ability" to.  I just want him to accept that he has to be one of the leaders on this team and he has to take advantage of the greater scoring opportunities that he'll now have.

I agree with wicksandrowe that it's discerning to hear him comment like this when he should be beaming with confidence and excitement to get out there and let it all hang out.  I know, not his personality.

It's like he's been given the keys to a luxury sports car but he's reluctant to get out and let loose with it.  He even seems somewhat perplexed as to what to do with the car.  If Green went out and contributed an efficient and consistent 16 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and played decent defense, I think everyone on this board would be satisfied.

Don't you think he's "capable" of that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Given the short-sighted, knee-jerk reactions from many on this board, if Green scores 18+ points in tonight's first game, he will be hailed as the next LeBron on here.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Truth is we are not sure about him, but puzzled by him.  The next 15 games will answer our questions and many may be prophets, but I need to wait and see.  I do not consider scoring the only way to be the man.  Knowing what shots to take and making your teammates better must be considered.  His rebounding is hard because of where they play him and who he guards.  Fav and KO can do most of it.  He has proven that he can defend and you can lead that way, at least Avery thinks you should.  I just hope Avery does not shoot us our of the game, mabey he will be hot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Jeff has the skill to be a solid starting forward. What he needs is the leader-by-example to show him day in and day out how to be super aggressive. KG and Paul were that for him. I think Wallace is a start. I hope Rondo becomes that when he returns.

Another example of how this team REALLY needs a leader. Avery, Jeff, Brandon, Kelly, Gerald, Marshon, Crawford, Courtney ... all of these players are passive. 

Its a shame. (If we are truely trying to win) I think we could have used a Nate Robinson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

jeff is michael jordan. he's probably not even paul pierce. he's probably more like a pippen or worthy, the latter of whom i've heard him compared to before. so, no, i don't think he's can be a #1 option on this team or any team, but i do think he's a very nice #2 type player at the SF position, and versatile enough to play the 2 and 4 for short stints in a pinch.

i keep saying, and i reiterate again, if we get a legit franchise type player at the 2, 4 or 5, rondo and green are very capable co-stars. bradley is a very nice 6th man. sully and/or olynik may be the answer at the 4. not sure about the 5 yet, but faverani at least looks somewhat promising, as a back up 5 if nothing else. we are in dire need however of landing a legit 2-guard who can score and space the floor.

if we end up with a miserable record and a number 1 pick and get wiggins, then green becomes expendable at some point, as the play the same position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Given the short-sighted, knee-jerk reactions from many on this board, if Green scores 18+ points in tonight's first game, he will be hailed as the next LeBron on here.  

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  But lets hope that this actually happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

jeff is michael jordan. he's probably not even paul pierce. he's probably more like a pippen or worthy, the latter of whom i've heard him compared to before. so, no, i don't think he's can be a #1 option on this team or any team, but i do think he's a very nice #2 type player at the SF position, and versatile enough to play the 2 and 4 for short stints in a pinch.

i keep saying, and i reiterate again, if we get a legit franchise type player at the 2, 4 or 5, rondo and green are very capable co-stars. bradley is a very nice 6th man. sully and/or olynik may be the answer at the 4. not sure about the 5 yet, but faverani at least looks somewhat promising, as a back up 5 if nothing else. we are in dire need however of landing a legit 2-guard who can score and space the floor.

if we end up with a miserable record and a number 1 pick and get wiggins, then green becomes expendable at some point, as the play the same position.

Understatement of the year!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Seriosuly though, I agree.

We are one star player away from really turning this team around. That is why I think we could flip our high lottery pick, Hump's expiring and either Sully or KO for another allstar. I think that Avery could be a menace of a sixth man. Jeff can play a 3rd option role at the SF. Again, this is why we go after LA!

Even if we get the #1 pick ... Wiggins is going to need at least three years of NBA experience before he becomes that transcendent player who can really take on Lebron, Durant, George. It would be a fun three years, but that strategy requires selling now (end of year) on Rondo & Green who realistically are at a place in their careers where they can compete now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

For those who want to sell on Green... I just thought of an interesting trade.

BOS: Luol Deng

CHI: Jeff Green, Bogans (exp), Crawford (exp)

So Why?

Because. Rumors surrounding Deng, Chicago not wanting to pay him. Chicago not wanting to pay so much in salary. The rise of Jimmy Butler. I think Green gives them an excellent third option on offense for almost half of what Deng makes. Allows them to compete next year. Bogans and Crawford allow them to shed salary.

Danny does this if he finds a way to compete next year by shipping out our top pick and a young player for an Allstar. Lets say we can get a deal done next summer for Aldridge. You could have a solid defensive team of Rondo, Bradley, Deng, Olynyk, Aldridge. Deng is essentially an upgrade of Jeff in every aspect except p0op inducing dunks. He's the better defender. He's the better offensive player. And the most intreging part is that the dude is only 28. One year older than Green.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Like many people on this board, I don't expect Green to be the Celtics #1 guy although it'd be good if he were.  I'm simply asking him to be consistent."

That's not in Green's makeup. 

Green is an inconsistent role player with flashes of brilliance that sometimes compensate for his inconsistency. 

Not everyone can deliver a consistent performance or even effort. Expecting that is not realistic. He has never shown he can do it, there's no reason to expect he can now. 

You and I give consistency. Jeff has way more basketball talent than we do but lacks a mental game. 

You and Fierce are not as far apart as you think on this.

Green is a number 4-7 guy on a championship team, all that remains is figuring out where he lands there. Right now I'm leaning towards 6-7.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"if we end up with a miserable record and a number 1 pick and get wiggins, then green becomes expendable at some point, as the play the same position."

ha ha it's nice to dream. 

Green, however, is not easily expendable under any circumstances, as Ainge bid against himself and signed Green to a ludicrous contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

You guys are going a little overboard on the anti-green bandwagon.  It will be interesting to see the change if jeff drops 20 tonight, which could well happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are going a little overboard on the anti-green bandwagon.  It will be interesting to see the change if jeff drops 20 tonight, which could well happen.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely rooting for Jeff to succeed! Anyone who isn't, isn't a Celtics fan and isn't a Basketball fan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Green can't create his own shot, and if you take out his dunks, he is a very poor shooter.

He is a backup small forward.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Green can't create his own shot, and if you take out his dunks, he is a very poor shooter.

He is a backup small forward.

[/QUOTE]

he's a better 3 shooter than you are giving him credit for here.

I have alwasy said he was too passive and didn;t play with an edge , unti last year when something seemed to click. We'll ahve to see if he continues to play that way or revert back.

He's also never bene a good rebounder and that has yet to change.

he CAN be consistant 3 point shooter and last year at least showed we COULD be aggressive.

we shoudl know fairly early this year ,as others have stated.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jeff has the skill to be a solid starting forward. What he needs is the leader-by-example to show him day in and day out how to be super aggressive. KG and Paul were that for him. I think Wallace is a start. I hope Rondo becomes that when he returns.

Another example of how this team REALLY needs a leader. Avery, Jeff, Brandon, Kelly, Gerald, Marshon, Crawford, Courtney ... all of these players are passive. 

Its a shame. (If we are truely trying to win) I think we could have used a Nate Robinson.

[/QUOTE]

and I wish we had made a play for Xavier Henry and dumped most of our SG trash

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Maybe we should all let him play at least ONE game this season before writing him off.

The good news is that there is an absolute plethora of high quality SFs in the 2014 draft.

I would even consider trading the number 1 pick (apparently Wiggins before he has played a single college game) or Parker, as I believe there are 6 legit #1 picks in the draft and not much separation betwen Parker and 6 or 7 other SFs some of which will be around at 18th or so.   Given Barzila's  analytics, we could reasonably get a #5 and #17-18 pick in trade.  That would land us a Smart, Exum, Ebiiid, or Harrison and enable us to land a top SF at #17.      

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

i wish jeff green was as good as pippen

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

20 pts already for jeff green

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.