Time to root for Miami?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Time to root for Miami?

I am a Celtics fan, first and foremost. That will never change. Last year, I dreaded the thought of LeBron James and the Miami Heat hoisting up the NBA trophy.

But do you know what I dread even more? The Lakers tying us for number of championships in franchise history. If it comes down to the Heat or Lakers in the Finals (and let's face it, that's the likeliest scenario), then I'm for anyone who can stop the Lakers from matching (and probably surpassing) our historical legacy.

I guess that means I'm now going to be a reluctant fan of LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Shane Battier, Mike Miller, and old friend Ray Allen. I don't see any other team, except possibly the Thunder and maybe the Nuggets if everything breaks right, who can knock off the Lakers. And even for the Heat it will be a daunting task. LeBron James and Dwayne Wade won't be able to penetrate to the basket at will on the Howard-Gasol combo the way they did against Perkins and Ibaka. If their outside shots don't fall, it'll be Title #17 for the Minneapolis-Los Angeles Lakers.

Here's where it gets a little more complicated: I believe the Heat have a much better chance of defeating the Lakers than our Celtics do, but I also think our Celtics match up well against the Heat with our much deeper bench for the upcoming season and a presumably healthy Avery Bradley. I could definitely see the Celtics beating the Heat in a 7-game series this spring, only to watch them get demolished in 4 or 5 by the Lakers. Therefore should we secretly hope that the Heat beat the Celtics?

I envision only three scenarios over the next couple years in which the Celtics emerge as title contenders over the Heat and Lakers:

1. One of the core Lakers players sustains a significant injury before the playoffs. (I don't wish this upon anyone).

2. Dwight Howard doesn't mesh well with Kobe Bryant, team chemistry is a disaster with all the competing egos, the Lakers collapse because of infighting, Howard skips out of town at the end of the year.

3. The Celtics find a way to sign Andrew Bynum after next year, giving them a legitimate franchise center to compete against Howard. Depending on the cap situation, I actually think this could be a possibility, albeit a remote one. Bynum would love to exact revenge against the Lakers, there's no better place to do that than in Boston, and for whatever reason, he was never a huge California guy. He wanted to play in Cleveland of all places.

My dream scenario is for #2 and #3 to both happen, in which case I would fully expect the Celtics to cruise to another title or two. Even if it's only #2 or #3, I'd give the Celtics a reasonable shot at a championship. As it stands now, there's virtually no chance, absent injuries.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Re: Time to root for Miami?

In Response to Time to root for Miami?:
    [QUOTE]I am a Celtics fan, first and foremost. That will never change. Last year, I dreaded the thought of LeBron James and the Miami Heat hoisting up the NBA trophy. But do you know what I dread even more? The Lakers tying us for number of championships in franchise history. If it comes down to the Heat or Lakers in the Finals (and let's face it, that's the likeliest scenario), then I'm for anyone who can stop the Lakers from matching (and probably surpassing) our historical legacy.  x x x
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]
    You sound as if the Celtics will never win a championship again. Have more faith in your home team. Don't be defeatist.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Can't say I'm a fan of these worry-wart type posts. How about if we cross that bridge when/if we come to it? Sound ok? 

OKC for one matches up well with "the new/old LA." Before you are a Lebron fan you can be a Perkins fan as he shuts DH down! Just like he used to do here...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

I agree OKC does match up well with LA. Also who's to say that LA will make it through this season healthy? If they lose any of their old guys, Kobe, Nash or Gasol or Howard's back doesn't hold up they will be lucky to get through first round. They may even be a lower seed as Howard will not play first month of the season or longer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

If the Lakers tie us at 17 banners....who cares...?  

we are 9-3 head to head in the Finals....it's not even close....

we are also comfortably ahead in the all time regular season meetings....

we have a much better Finals winning percentage (again, it's not close)...

we have more Hall of Famers.....

Red has more rings than Phil in this head to head rivalry(remember Phil won the majority of his rings as coach of the Bulls)....hell, I believe Red has more that Phil and Riley combined in the rivalry..

we have greater historical relevance....we signed the first African American player in league history....Red fielded the first all black starting five in league history....Russ was the first black head coach in American team sports....

so if the Lakers are able to match the Celts in titles....as I said....no big deal.....we hold all of the tie breakers....remember that their first five titles came in the pre shot clock era (that game in no way resembles the game of today)....and the Los Angeles entry actually has a losing record in the Finals....as I said...it's all good .....and it's no big deal if and when it happens...!!!

The Boston Celtics....like the (hated) New York Yankees...are unmatched in the history of professional sports...!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerstroll. Show Lakerstroll's posts

In Response to Re: Time to root for Miami?:
    [QUOTE]If the Lakers tie us at 17 banners....who cares...?   we are 9-3 head to head in the Finals....it's not even close.... we are also comfortably ahead in the all time regular season meetings.... we have a much better Finals winning percentage (again, it's not close)... we have more Hall of Famers..... our guy (Red) has more rings than the Lakers best (Phil....remember Phil won the majority as coach of the Bulls).... we have more historical relevance....first African American player in league history....first all black starting five in league history....first black head coach in American team sports.... so if the Lakers are able to match the Celts in titles....as I said....no big deal.....we hold all of the tie breakers....remember that the first five titles came in the pre shot clock era (that game in no way resembles the game of today)....and the Los Angeles entry has a losing record in the Finals....as I said...it's all good .....and it's no big deal if and when it happens...!!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Dukee baby! Where you been hiding? "9-3" Duke finally came out of his hole. You can run but you couldn't hide. Why did I know that you'd come back after the Lakers turned into yet another powerhouse juggernaut, with that 9-3 bs?
    So now, championships are not important, huh? What's important is how many times your Celtics have beaten the Lakers, everything is irrelevant. Are you aware of how ignorant that is. That's like saying Wilt was better than Russell because Wilt scored more and rebounded more against Russell. What you are really saying is that you are now conceding to the inevitable that the Lakers will get to 18 first. And you all are preparing yourself mentally and emotionally for that certain fact.

Where's Duke?

posted at 8/10/2012 3:48 PM EDT
    First: 2/12/2010
    Last: 8/14/2012

I want to hear from The "9-3" Duke. Don't be sad, we all can't be the Lakers.

Celtics Big 3:
    1) Lose 3-2 series lead to Lakers
    2) Lose 3-2 series lead to Orlando
    3)Lose 3-2 series lead to Miami

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerstroll. Show Lakerstroll's posts

And Duke, you should have said "who care if the Lakers SURPASS, not tie the Celtics. And when that happens you will still be saying the Celtics were better because Red had more rings than Phil AS A LAKER COACH? I'm actually laying here lmao as I write this. It's all about rings Dukee. That's all that matters. We will now rock you. You know it, I know it. This Laker team is now a phcken powerhouse capable of another 3-peat. And now title-less great vets will be flocking to us to get one before it's too late.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In Response to Time to root for Miami?:
    [QUOTE]I am a Celtics fan, first and foremost. That will never change. Last year, I dreaded the thought of LeBron James and the Miami Heat hoisting up the NBA trophy. But do you know what I dread even more? The Lakers tying us for number of championships in franchise history. If it comes down to the Heat or Lakers in the Finals (and let's face it, that's the likeliest scenario), then I'm for anyone who can stop the Lakers from matching (and probably surpassing) our historical legacy. I guess that means I'm now going to be a reluctant fan of LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Shane Battier, Mike Miller, and old friend Ray Allen. I don't see any other team, except possibly the Thunder and maybe the Nuggets if everything breaks right, who can knock off the Lakers. And even for the Heat it will be a daunting task. LeBron James and Dwayne Wade won't be able to penetrate to the basket at will on the Howard-Gasol combo the way they did against Perkins and Ibaka. If their outside shots don't fall, it'll be Title #17 for the Minneapolis-Los Angeles Lakers. Here's where it gets a little more complicated: I believe the Heat have a much better chance of defeating the Lakers than our Celtics do, but I also think our Celtics match up well against the Heat with our much deeper bench for the upcoming season and a presumably healthy Avery Bradley. I could definitely see the Celtics beating the Heat in a 7-game series this spring, only to watch them get demolished in 4 or 5 by the Lakers. Therefore should we secretly hope that the Heat beat the Celtics? I envision only three scenarios over the next couple years in which the Celtics emerge as title contenders over the Heat and Lakers: 1. One of the core Lakers players sustains a significant injury before the playoffs. (I don't wish this upon anyone). 2. Dwight Howard doesn't mesh well with Kobe Bryant, team chemistry is a disaster with all the competing egos, the Lakers collapse because of infighting, Howard skips out of town at the end of the year. 3. The Celtics find a way to sign Andrew Bynum after next year, giving them a legitimate franchise center to compete against Howard. Depending on the cap situation, I actually think this could be a possibility, albeit a remote one. Bynum would love to exact revenge against the Lakers, there's no better place to do that than in Boston, and for whatever reason, he was never a huge California guy. He wanted to play in Cleveland of all places. My dream scenario is for #2 and #3 to both happen, in which case I would fully expect the Celtics to cruise to another title or two. Even if it's only #2 or #3, I'd give the Celtics a reasonable shot at a championship. As it stands now, there's virtually no chance, absent injuries.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Why worry about nba finals in september? We should be concerned about jobs,health,the economy,not basketball,it is just a game played by rich people paid by poor people.Give me a break.Root for your team next may and june.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.