To All The Rondo Haters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: To All The Rondo Haters

In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters:
    [QUOTE]19 and 14 .... who said he couldn't shoot? No Shaq and Marquis didnt even put up a shot... he stepped up when we needed him .... can we please give the guy a break now
    Posted by KGLove[/QUOTE]

2:39 minutes left in regulation. The game is on the line. Young Rondo is standing  near the foul line completely unguarded when he catches the pass. Now ball in hand 13 feet from the basket looking nearly straight on.

A PG's dream come true. Right? A competent, confident HS, College or NBA PG steps right into the J and drains it, never hesitating. No problem. The PG has practiced it a million times and hits it 90%  of the time in scrimage... 100% of the time daydreaming about his/her big moment in the spotlight.

What does young Rondo do? He hesitates, regains his form and then throws up a brick.    Ouch!  

Its not the missed shot that bothered me. I can live with that as long as Rondo steps into the shot.

Its his instantaneous, reflexive double clutch that made me wince.

There is no fixing that.

That's hardwired, raw, primal fear at work in year 5 of Rondo's professional career... and counting.

Pud

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : 2:39 minutes left in regulation. The game is on the line. Young Rondo is standing  near the foul line completely unguarded when he catches the pass. Now ball in hand 13 feet from the basket looking nearly straight on. A PG's dream come true. Right? A competent, confident HS, College or NBA PG steps right into the J and drains it, never hesitating. No problem. The PG has practiced it a million times and hits it 90%  of the time in scrimage... 100% of the time daydreaming about his/her big moment in the spotlight. What does young Rondo do? He hesitates, regains his form and then throws up a brick.    Ouch!   Its not the missed shot that bothered me. I can live with that as long as Rondo steps into the shot. Its his instantaneous, reflexive double clutch that made me wince. There is no fixing that. That's hardwired, raw, primal fear at work in year 5 of Rondo's professional career... and counting. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

How bout the pass to KG to win the game????? Its not about shooting when you have KG, Ray Allen, and PAul Pierce on your team... he put up 19 would him having 21 had made a difference if we lost??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Trying to convince pud that Rondo is a great PG is like trying to convince people that the world is flat.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo is a good player, but the Cs can win without him. As long as we have the Big 3 and Shaq, we will do fine.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Can we win in the playoffs without Rondo?

No doubt we can win in the regular season without Rondo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Don't get me wrong I love the kid. But he has to learn to take the open shot in the flow of the offense. He passes up too many good shots, and then is forced to take some bad shots with the clock winding down. If he takes these shots on a consistant basis, It will open up the floor even more so, because they will not be able to leave him alone anymore. This woul make the Celts and even more danger!ous ! In the playoffs when the game slows down, they will lagg off hime and double the othrs...I think this guy will eventually be a decent shooter.
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

Why does he HAVE to take the open shot?   He is leading the best record in the East, winning nearly every game, and leading the league by a large margin in assists.  What is wrong with that?  He gives us what we need.  He scores when needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo is a good player, but the Cs can win without him. As long as we have the Big 3 and Shaq, we will do fine.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Funny everyone in the league thinks he is the most valuable player on our team, the one player we can't do without.  You use to be the biggest Rondo supporter out there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Trying to convince pud that Rondo is a great PG is like trying to convince people that the world is flat.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Actions speak much louder than words. I am much more impressed with actions. Words are awfully cheap.

And try as you may to convince people that the world is flat, the truth is that the earth is round... or nearly so.

Actually it is an oblate spheroid. Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Why does he HAVE to take the open shot?   He is leading the best record in the East, winning nearly every game, and leading the league by a large margin in assists.  What is wrong with that?  He gives us what we need.  He scores when needed.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Talk to doc about the need for Rondo to take the open J.

See attached quote from an August 2010 interview with Doc Rivers:

“We want him to shoot the right shots,” Rivers said. “The 3-point shot, I could care less. I could care less if he takes another 3 the rest of his career as far as I’m concerned. But we have to get him to make the elbow jump shot.”

BTW.... his scoring was needed at the 2:39 minute mark if I'm not mistaken.

He simply froze.

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

He made a bunch of very nice jumpers last night, and you're griping about one that he passed up? I feel sorry for you, seriously.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Double-T. Show Double-T's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : You have just proved my point, that you have no idea what i'm saying to you. I'll wipe the floor with you on the concept of this game.
    Posted by oldtimerceltfan[/QUOTE]

Really?

Go ahead, please display your B-Ball concepts to all of us and explain why Rondo is overrated in your eyes.

Rondo will be an allstar again this year even if you or Pud don't like it. Do you think you know more than the coach, KG, Pierce and Allen? They love Rondo and know he is the key to winning # 18. If Rondo goes down, we're toast.

If you can't grasp that concept, I feel sorry for you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Talk to doc about the need for Rondo to take the open J. See attached quote from an August 2010 interview with Doc Rivers:   “We want him to shoot the right shots,” Rivers said. “The 3-point shot, I could care less. I could care less if he takes another 3 the rest of his career as far as I’m concerned. But we have to get him to make the elbow jump shot.” BTW.... his scoring was needed at the 2:39 minute mark if I'm not mistaken. He simply froze. Pud

So what? He missed a shot. He also made it twice this game as fierce noted.   and he had 14 Asssists including a great pass to win the game. that's great point guard play.  there are 3-4 point guards in the league at Rondo's level and that's it. You ask any GM in the league whether they would trade their point guard for Rondo and 97% would say yes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]He made a bunch of very nice jumpers last night, and you're griping about one that he passed up? I feel sorry for you, seriously.
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

Bert: When the game is on the line and our PG double clutches on a wide open 13 footer.... that is a problem for me. It should be for you too.

No way to sugar coat this.

Feel sorry for Rondo instead.

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Petey:

What I meant was I'm done.

You guys can talk about Rondo all day everyday.  I'm not gonna do it anymore.  I've tried six ways from sunday to talk up what I think are the Rondo advantages.  The haters have something going on that is pathological.  So enjoy hating Rondo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Petey: What I meant was I'm done. You guys can talk about Rondo all day everyday.  I'm not gonna do it anymore.  I've tried six ways from sunday to talk up what I think are the Rondo advantages.  The haters have something going on that is pathological.  So enjoy hating Rondo.
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]

Shines... you go way beyond just talking up the Rondo advantages.

You begin to attack Rondo critics personally with disturbing homophobic and homicidal ideations.

That sort of bullying has no place here.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]Petey: What I meant was I'm done. You guys can talk about Rondo all day everyday.  I'm not gonna do it anymore.  I've tried six ways from sunday to talk up what I think are the Rondo advantages.  The haters have something going on that is pathological.  So enjoy hating Rondo.
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]

Sorry for mis-interpreting what you meant.  My bad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : 2:39 minutes left in regulation. The game is on the line. Young Rondo is standing  near the foul line completely unguarded when he catches the pass. Now ball in hand 13 feet from the basket looking nearly straight on. A PG's dream come true. Right? A competent, confident HS, College or NBA PG steps right into the J and drains it, never hesitating. No problem. The PG has practiced it a million times and hits it 90%  of the time in scrimage... 100% of the time daydreaming about his/her big moment in the spotlight. What does young Rondo do? He hesitates, regains his form and then throws up a brick.    Ouch!   Its not the missed shot that bothered me. I can live with that as long as Rondo steps into the shot. Its his instantaneous, reflexive double clutch that made me wince. There is no fixing that. That's hardwired, raw, primal fear at work in year 5 of Rondo's professional career... and counting. Pud

I'm glad he double clutched since that means he was looking for someone with a better shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Actions speak much louder than words. I am much more impressed with actions. Words are awfully cheap. And try as you may to convince people that the world is flat, the truth is that the earth is round... or nearly so. Actually it is an oblate spheroid. Check it out! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth Pud

Trouble is you want to cherry pick the actions and then put your words on them. You are arguing with tremendous success. Is it us or you who is trying to argue the world is flat? I think it clearly is you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Last night, Big Baby faked a pass and then hit Ray chest high with a pass as Ray spotted up just beyond the 3-point line.  Ray receives the pass sets his feet and launches a PERFECT shot and nails the 3-point shot.  HUGE shot!

I love Rondo but this is what I'd love to see out of him.  I'd bet that if Rondo practiced how Ray caught Baby's pass, set his feet and launched a shot (practiced it 500 times a day), he'd get better at it.

Catch, set and shoot.  Catch, set and shoot.  I'm sorry but how difficult can it be to do that 500 times a day?

Rondo is going to have to find a more efficient way to score the ball especially when the Big 3 are gone.  I did enjoy his straight-on bank shot last night for a 3-pointer though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]Last night, Big Baby faked a pass and then hit Ray chest high with a pass as Ray spotted up just beyond the 3-point line.  Ray receives the pass sets his feet and launches a PERFECT shot and nails the 3-point shot.  HUGE shot! I love Rondo but this is what I'd love to see out of him.  I'd bet that if Rondo practiced how Ray caught Baby's pass, set his feet and launched a shot (practiced it 500 times a day), he'd get better at it. Catch, set and shoot.  Catch, set and shoot.  I'm sorry but how difficult can it be to do that 500 times a day? Rondo is going to have to find a more efficient way to score the ball especially when the Big 3 are gone.  I did enjoy his straight-on bank shot last night for a 3-pointer though.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Yes and if Ray would watch Rondo then Ray would stop turning the ball over on the dribble and would make spectacular passes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

Rondo is not a good free throw shooter but he really does not take enough of them to really impact the game.

Rondo however is a scorer and is still shooting 51.9% from the field.  He also will look for opportunities to score more when he feels the team needs a lift.  This is just part of his high baskeball IQ knowing when to take a game over and loom for his own ofense.  Last night against Philly they needed him to score more and he did. 

He is a pass first PG and a perfect fit on a team that needs a great distributor.

In order for a PG to really be effective on a TEAM like the Celtics they really are not suppose to take too many shots.  I think the # 1 PG skill that is most important is a player's ability to run an offense while distributing the ball and maximizing their efficiency. 

Some interesting stats

Rajon #1 in percentage of possessions resulting in an assist 49.25%.
             #1 in assists leading to layups dunks and tip ins  (5.9 per game) 
              11.3 assist per game on 2 points and 2.8 per game on 3 pointers

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Rondo took some outside shots, that's all I ask because it keeps the defense (more likely to be) honest. He made one and bricked another (after hesitating as Pud mentioned). If he keeps taken them, he'll likely make more. The hesitation is not hard wired, he can learn to fight (i.e., take the shot without hesitation), fight or flight (those are the two possible hard wired responses to fear). One thing I respect about Big Baby his he has been asked to change his game 2 times and did so both times (1) develop a 15 footer in 2008-2009, (2) play down low 2009-2010 and he eventually succeeded at both, while at first failing at both but not letting the embarassment stop him. I hope Rondo will just let go of the bricks that will come (hey even Ray and Paul both had air balls last night).
    Go Celtics! Go Rondo!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : I'm glad he double clutched since that means he was looking for someone with a better shot.
    Posted by gtown07[/QUOTE]

You may have a point here, gtown.

When the game is on the line, anyone wearing a green uniform probably has a better shot than a wide open  Rondo at 13 feet.

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To All The Rondo Haters : Bert: When the game is on the line and our PG double clutches on a wide open 13 footer.... that is a problem for me. It should be for you too. No way to sugar coat this. Feel sorry for Rondo instead. Pud

Why feel sad for a top 5 point guard ? I'm just happy we have him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Petey, no worries.  That was classy.  Can't we all just get along?