Tony Allen @ Memphis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from haste. Show haste's posts

Tony Allen @ Memphis

My hat's off to Danny A. on letting TA walk.  Checking the Memphis box scores--he's not getting much action.  Our bench is better off without him!!!  He was always a liability when he dribbled.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: Tony Allen @ Memphis

In Response to Tony Allen @ Memphis:
    [QUOTE]My hat's off to Danny A. on letting TA walk.  Checking the Memphis box scores--he's not getting much action.  Our bench is better off without him!!!  He was always a liability when he dribbled.
    Posted by haste[/QUOTE]
    T.A's ball handling skills are comparable to a 8th grader. However his defensive abilities will probably be missed once the playoffs begin. T.A was able to make great guards such as Wade and Kobe frustrated. Last season during the C's vs. Heat playoff series, Wade was able to do anything he wanted when Ray guarded him. During the stints when T.A was in, Wade couldn't do a thing offensively.
        I'm not saying Ray is a bad defender, it's just that T.A is a defensive stopper. Every team can use a guy like that.
        With the addition of D. West, T.A would probably have to fight for a spot with Marquis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Gee, maybe Danny knows what he's doing after all.

Posey isn't playing much
    TA is TA
    House has been subpar
    Walker was over-rated by Celtics fans

I still think we are one player away from a title, but maybe that player will be D West!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think it's a situation where both sides are worse off without each other.

TA cited playing time as the reason why he left.  Since he isn't getting any in Memphis, maybe he'd be waived or traded on the cheap to come back here and contribute his stellar defense.

Yes, we know he can't do anything offensively.  So what.  His defense alone on Kobe, LeBron, and Wade are worth it.  I bet Jerry West did this just to help his old team the Lakers stay ahead of the Celtics without anyone to defend Kobe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Remember all the uproar about TA walking. I'm not sure he would add anything to this bench right now. Quis is playing like we expected him to last year so I don't see where TA would be an asset.

Ainge has a good pulse of when it's time to let someone go.

I've been saying all along TA was better off in Boston but he got the $$$ so I guess that's all that matters.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Tony Allen @ Memphis:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a situation where both sides are worse off without each other. TA cited playing time as the reason why he left.  Since he isn't getting any in Memphis, maybe he'd be waived or traded on the cheap to come back here and contribute his stellar defense. Yes, we know he can't do anything offensively.  So what.  His defense alone on Kobe, LeBron, and Wade are worth it.  I bet Jerry West did this just to help his old team the Lakers stay ahead of the Celtics without anyone to defend Kobe.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

West is retired, but Wallace would still stick it to us!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Remember all the uproar about TA walking. I'm not sure he would add anything to this bench right now. Quis is playing like we expected him to last year so I don't see where TA would be an asset. Ainge has a good pulse of when it's time to let someone go. I've been saying all along TA was better off in Boston but he got the $$$ so I guess that's all that matters.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I think the $$ was the same.  Like Posey, he was given one more year than DA was willing to go, and that was the difference!

But, I could be wrong about that!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Maybe it's just me, but I would have loved to see Delonte, TA and Quis on the court together.  We would have had one of the best defensive 2nd units when those 3 guys were on the court together.  Nate would have been a part of that too but if you add Baby (the way he's been playing), that second unit would have been pretty good.

Their lack of offensive punch would have easily been negated by their lockdown defense.  Most team's 2nd units would have a hard time sustaining any offense against these guys.

I will miss TA in the playoffs.  He made Wade, Lebron and Kobe work so much harder for what they got when he guarded them.  They were eventually going to get theirs but it took alot of shots and alot of misses to get it thanks to TA's defense.  I sure hope a combination of Delonte and Quis can duplicate that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Tony who???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tony Allen @ Memphis : I could be wrong, but I think the $$ was the same.  Like Posey, he was given one more year than DA was willing to go, and that was the difference! But, I could be wrong about that!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]
        I think you're correct Hedley. The C's offered T.A 2 years @ 3 mil. per season and Memphis offered 3 years @ 3 mil per. At least that's the way I remember it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tony Allen @ Memphis :     I think you're correct Hedley. The C's offered T.A 2 years @ 3 mil. per season and Memphis offered 3 years @ 3 mil per. At least that's the way I remember it.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]I recall reading an article wherein Danny Ainge says TA was offered the same terms that he got from Memphis. When TA was interviewed after he signed with the Grizzlies, he stated that he left the Celtics because he no longer wanted to play in the shadows of Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, etc. and it was time for him to move on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

If TA wanted more minutes then he's so wrong to go to Memphis. A team that has a very young Rudy Gay and an even younger OJ Mayo will not have a lot of minutes available for a backup SG/SF. This year TA is only getting 12.7 minutes per game. With the Cs last year he was getting 16.5. Maybe it's not about the shadows of Pierce and Ray, maybe it's about that extra year on the contract that the Cs refused to give TA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

I am glad TA got his money – he was never going to be a better player in Memphis than he was in Boston. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I thought it was laughable when Tony left because he felt he was oveshadowed here.  He was overshadowed by some of the best players to ever play in the NBA and he couldn't accept it?  Please.  He either overrated his own talent or was miffed to get what he considered a low ball offer and left for a bit more $ and a chance to play more minutes.  I'd guess it's not quite working out like he'd hoped, which is too bad because I think he could've been a valuable bench guy again.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

"Maybe it's just me, but I would have loved to see Delonte, TA and Quis on the court together.  We would have had one of the best defensive 2nd units when those 3 guys were on the court together.  Nate would have been a part of that too but if you add Baby (the way he's been playing), that second unit would have been pretty good."

I think it is just you. That would be the smallest second unit the Celtics could muster, even if another big were thrown out there with them.  For now, there is no place for TA on this team, and what he would add, like in the past, would have to be balanced by what he subtracted, namely offense and playing intelligently even without the ball.  Many people have elevated him to a defensive superstar level but his admittedly hard work against the big guns usually came once the starters had softened them up and tired them out a bit.  It wasn't as if TA started the game and hounded someone for 48 minutes - he was a sub with a role, but wasn't the deal maker people (and he) made him out to be.  Last night RA did a fair to spectacular job on Wade while scoring 35 himself, so anything TA might have added would have been negligible.  One game maybe, but indicative of what TA's true vale to this particular Celtics team might have been.  The current roster will hold them for a while and some tweaks will cement their chances to embarrass all of the chumps who have discounted them in favor of the paper tigers in the league.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

what short memories y'all have...and just to think that in 2006-2007 when Pierce was hurt - TA was THE offensive threat for the Celtics and seems to me that he averaged about 20 ppg during that 4 week period...I remember he poured in 30 against Denver!    

I believe we finished last in the Atlantic that year with a stellar roster that included - Gerald, Olow, Ratliff, Scal Telfair Pinkney, and Ray (actually Allan Ray undrafted out of Villinova and released the same year).   but that wasn't so long ago.  The very next year we aquired the big 3 and won it all in the biggest W-L turnaround in NBA history.  Maybe TA just needs to be on a substandard roster.