Trade Idea: BOS - POR - HOU

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Trade Idea: BOS - POR - HOU

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kl76wq4

BOS: C.J. McCollom, Robin Lopez

HOU: Bass, Lee

POR: Asik

Portland upgrades greatly with a hungry defensive Center. Houston gets better with pieces that can help then win now. Boston gets rid of long term salary with an expiring deal on a mediocre center (who could be a solid back-up going forward) and get another young promising (and injured) player. This makes our team worse this year and better next year.

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Trade Idea: BOS - POR - HOU

You all would rather bicker than comment on a solid trade idea.

This move would get us $10M ACTUAL cap space for next season. We would be in a position for a big signing and then could resign Lopez for a 3yr 10M deal. C.J. McCollom was projected to become a really nice player and could eventually become our starting shooting guard. 

My second move would be to trade Crawford, ideally for another young asset like Snell & Teague. Bulls need a PG for a year.

Go into next year with 38M committed in salary plus Avery's QO and the rookies cap holds. We would have great young pieces and assets on rookie deals with:

Sullinger

Olynyk

McCollom

Snell

Celtics 1st rookie (Embiid)

Hawks 1st rookie (Saric)

To pair with our vets:

Rondo

Bradley

Green

Wallace

Favarani 

You tell me that this wouldn't be the beginings of a BIG move over the summer. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I'm going to keep going with this...

Over the summer or maybe on draft night, I would use those assets to get a big name that is seemingly untouchable. I'd go for Love, Cousins or Aldridge. Sounds unattainable right? But for Love, why not:

McCollom, Olynyk, Snell, Saric and 2014 Celtics 1st? 

that is a ludacris offer, IMO. Essentially four recent 1st round picks and a future. Smells like a KG deal.

Of course the stars need to align for any team to give up their star player but the Wolves may miss the playoffs AGAIN this season and assess that they'll lose Kevin Love to free agency with such a weak overall roster. This could be a quick restart for them.

For the Celtics, I think Green, Love and Sullinger would be a really fascinating frontcourt (especially if you had a developing MONSTER in Embiid on your bench). Think about it. If Sully continues to develop his offensive game, all three guys can be threats offensively from all over the court. Love is a go to guy. Sully and Love would destroy the boards. Rondo would be in heaven dishing out assist after assist. Avery is the clear 5th option which really helps his game and by this point in 2014 the only future asset we would have sacrificed would be our own 2015 pick. We'd still have the Clippers pick and the two increasingly valuable BKN picks.

A man can dream, right?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

why would portland trade anyone at this point that roster is clicking together...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

why would portland trade anyone at this point that roster is clicking together...

[/QUOTE]

Its a stretch ... give it a few months. They rank as one of the worst defensive teams. Check the stats. All the experts are predicting (another) Portland crash. They did a similar thing last year. They are going to waver and get to a point where they need to make a move, except that can't straight up with a contending team like Houston. Houston isn't taking back Lopez, that makes no sense.

I will admit this whole this is far fetched, but it does make sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

maybe if you add 1st rd pick(clips)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Portland upgrades greatly with a hungry defensive Center. Houston gets better with pieces that can help then win now. Boston gets rid of long term salary with an expiring deal on a mediocre center (who could be a solid back-up going forward) and get another young promising (and injured) player. This makes our team worse this year and better next year.

What do you think?

[/QUOTE]

i think DA would take that deal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What do you think?

[/QUOTE]

i think DA would take that deal

[/QUOTE]

no brainer

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

Would anyone else like to take what would be role players on their teams, with bad contracts to boot, for cheap young possible talent?  If they would, that would be great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to myurkus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would anyone else like to take what would be role players on their teams, with bad contracts to boot, for cheap young possible talent?  If they would, that would be great.

[/QUOTE]

Thats such a fallacy.

Bass and Lee are both on reasonable contracts. I think that their combined production outweighs what they are currently getting from Asik.

Portland has no other piece to trade. They aren't getting anything for Lopez. They need to include McCollom. Yes, he's a solid draft pick, but he's not going to help them at all this year. They have no draft pick in 2014. They don't want to give away a future. This trade helps them really compete this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

If bass and lee are so desirable, why is every proposed trade on this board include trying to dump them?  Bass less so than Lee, but they are clearly contracts we want to lose.  I have not heard of a single report of anyone asking about them, even though they would obviously be available...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

R9R - don't htink it's as crazy as a couple, but...

For the C's - no brainer (which is usually why those ideas aren't realistic).

Houston needs either a stretch 4 or a power rebounding 4 (since you rarely get both in one package).  I agree that BB and Lee are on reasonable contracts and a legit roation players - however, I think Houston can use Asik to eventually fill their PF need better than BB who is neither a stretch nor an big rebounding 4.  They have limited/no need for Lee.

If Portland decides to roll the dice THIS year - then maybe they give up McCollum and then maybe this trade gets more realistic.  However, I suspect they still see themselves as a yr or two away and, particularly with no 2014 pick - would be very unlikely to unload their 2013 lottery pick when they could instead keep mcCollum and focus on the FA market inteh off-season for a new C for next year. [Also don't have any real idea what Asik does to their cap space in the next few years...]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to myurkus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If bass and lee are so desirable, why is every proposed trade on this board include trying to dump them?  Bass less so than Lee, but they are clearly contracts we want to lose.  I have not heard of a single report of anyone asking about them, even though they would obviously be available...

[/QUOTE]

Bass and Lee are two of our better players this year. Look at the stats. 

They are expendable, especially bass because we have two young PFs who need minutes at that position. Lee is a solid backup SG, but is also not a need right now as we have Crawford and Bradley and Bogans and Brooks.

Is it really that hard to understand?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Bird-to-DJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Houston needs either a stretch 4 or a power rebounding 4 (since you rarely get both in one package).  I agree that BB and Lee are on reasonable contracts and a legit roation players - however, I think Houston can use Asik to eventually fill their PF need better than BB who is neither a stretch nor an big rebounding 4.  They have limited/no need for Lee.

If Portland decides to roll the dice THIS year - then maybe they give up McCollum and then maybe this trade gets more realistic.  However, I suspect they still see themselves as a yr or two away and, particularly with no 2014 pick - would be very unlikely to unload their 2013 lottery pick when they could instead keep mcCollum and focus on the FA market inteh off-season for a new C for next year. [Also don't have any real idea what Asik does to their cap space in the next few years...]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I admitted that this trade was a stretch, like four times.

I think Bass is a great stretch-4. He's not shooting 3's but he makes that mid-range jumpe so consistently. He can also defend 2-5 reasonably well, and that is the selling point. Same with Lee. Lee is a solid defender, energy player off the bench. Lin and Lee off the bench would help that team contend. Best thing is Lee is in that upper class of three point shooting this year.

Portland is doing fantastic. But teams that overperform early usually come back down to earth. I think when Portland comes back down to earth they are going to realize that Lopez is not a good enough defender and they may be enticed to go all-in this year with Asik. McCollom is a great asset, but he's hurt and not producing for them this year. Its the price for Asik. Its not like they're trading the best player on their team. Plus, Matthews has really taken a step this year and could become that long term solution at SG, so the need for C.J. may not be so strong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bird-to-DJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I admitted that this trade was a stretch, like four times.

I think Bass is a great stretch-4. He's not shooting 3's but he makes that mid-range jumpe so consistently. He can also defend 2-5 reasonably well, and that is the selling point. Same with Lee. Lee is a solid defender, energy player off the bench. Lin and Lee off the bench would help that team contend. Best thing is Lee is in that upper class of three point shooting this year.

Portland is doing fantastic. But teams that overperform early usually come back down to earth. I think when Portland comes back down to earth they are going to realize that Lopez is not a good enough defender and they may be enticed to go all-in this year with Asik. McCollom is a great asset, but he's hurt and not producing for them this year. Its the price for Asik. Its not like they're trading the best player on their team. Plus, Matthews has really taken a step this year and could become that long term solution at SG, so the need for C.J. may not be so strong.

[/QUOTE]

Talk in Chicago is tanking. Imagine that!