Trade Idea - Monroe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Trade Idea - Monroe

Detroit: Wallace, Brooks, Clippers 2015 unprotected first round pick

Boston: Stuckey, Monroe

Just thinking about Detroits situation now with Jennings. They seriously want to make it to the playoffs, but there is a lot of uncertainty about the Smith, Monroe, Drummond combo. I've read that statistically, Josh Smith is a lot better player when he is playing PF vs. SF. I think Drummond is enough of a beast to hold down the paint, and the trio has a lot of redundancy. I've also heard that Detroit isn't keen on paying Monroe max money next year, but may be forced to or let him walk for nothing if another team offers him the Max.

I think that having Wallace/Datome play the three opens up more minutes to play smith at the 4 fulltime and will make that team a heck of a lot better. Also, throw in Marshon Brooks and you essentially get back a similar (in value) player to what you gave up in B. Knight. Brooks & KCP would be a good combo at the 2. Throw in a future first round pick that Detroit can swing (they don't have theirs until the Cats/Hornets use the one they got along with B. Gordon) for another deal next year.

For the Celtics, we'd be getting a year to look at Monroe and see how he fits with Rondo Bradley Green and Sully/Oly. I think its a good fit, an offensive-minded center who is still young, growing, isn't dumb as rocks (looking at you McGee). I also believe that playing with Drummond holds him back a little and that Rondo with his high expectations will bring out the best in Monroe. He will be an RFA, so we have the right to match any offer or faciliate a S&T. I think he would fit well and with a complete team, we could use this year to honestly evaluate our biggest gaps and make a move next offseason.

Additional Sweeteners:

I'd also consider including a swap of Humphries or Bass for Villianueva if that's a sweetener for Detroit. I'd also consider giving them Fab Melo as a sweetener as well. And finally, I would consider giving them Faverani (sight unseen) as a backup for Drummond.

Detroit Roster:

1. Jennings, Siva, Billups, Bynum

2. KCP, Brooks, Singler

3. Wallace, Datome, Maggette

4. Smith, T. Mitchell, (Villanueva/Humphries), Jerebko

5. Drummond, (Melo?, Fav?)

Boston Roster:
    1. Rondo, Pressey, Stuckey

2. Bradley, Lee, Crawford, Bogans

3. Green

4. Sully, Olynyk, Bass, (Humpries/Villianueva)

5. Monroe, Faverani

Final note: Not sure about the timing of when this trade can happen. I think we are still a month away from packaging Brooklyn pieces together in this type of trade. If it happens that this must wait until the deadline, a lot is going to depend on Wallace and Hump's redemption year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Trade Idea - Monroe

P.S. I got the idea from this post: http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/7/26/4561032/could-celts-get-monroe-without-losing-rondo

I personally don't like their scenerio, but I do (obviously) like the idea of getting Monroe without losing Rondo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Also, I like the idea of a core team of high character, high IQ guys. Now, I'm not positive about Monroe, but he did go to Georgetown. Also love the idea of uniting two former hoyas in Monroe & Green. With Bradley, Sully & Kelley being led by Rondo & Stevens ... that is a hard working, high IQ, no nonsense bunch.

Maybe they can pull some red-sox like magic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Not really a Monroe fan. Dude has a lot of post moves, can score, and is a great guy (Detroit loves his character), but I like the idea of a rim protector at the starting center postiion. Monroe averaged something around 0.7 bpg last season. Not sure what his rebounding average is, but I know it's not double digits. Plus we just got a offensive minded 7 footer with good post moves. Not really seeing too many bigs in the league that's impressing me. So my thought is "why trade for 1 when we have all these draft pics". I'ld much rather try to draft one. Gunna try to keep a close eye on Embiid(Kansas) and Cauley-Stein(KY) this season to see how they look. Both have "beast" potential, and with most the focus on Wiggins, Jabrari, Randle, they could be realistic picks for us.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

i don't see any reason why Detroit would make that trade... if they don't want to pay monroe they certainly wouldn't rather pay wallace. that is just a horrible trade from detroit's standpoint. really really bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Good point, but there's no way that we need or would keep and use all of those picks. That 2015 Clippers pick is valuable but not THAT valuable for us. Also, it can really take a long time for a Center to develop in the NBA. Just look at Lopez & Hibbert .. thook them a few years to really establish themselves. My thought is that Monroe is just getting there and could have a breakout season this year. Sure he's not Larry Sanders in the paint but he does give you other things and he does have the ability to make some really smart defensive plays. Again, he is only 23 so he is in the right age where he is still young with the ability to grow his talent, but he is a servicable big man in the NBA. I just think there's value in Detroit getting Wallace and a scoring SG in Brooks and I've heard many intelligent NBA analytsts say that the stats show Smith as a MUCH MUCH better player when he is playing the 4 and can stetch the floor.

I think it is almost inevitable that Detroit deals Monroe sometime in the next year, the question is can we sneak in and give them a good enough non-rondo deal so that they can achieve their goal this season?

Now, I absolutely would not trade Rondo for Monroe, but if all we have to give up is a future pick and two guys that don't really fit on our team? I'm making that deal. I'm including Fab if that gets it done or allowing them to upgrade their backup PF with a Villy for Humph swap. If you concede all of that, I think Detroit could easily be a playoff team, probably in that 6-8 range. If they can get that 6th seed, I say they have a shot (longshot) at getting into the second round which would be a huge step forward for the club.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Detroit would laugh in your general direction.  There is nothing about this trade that makes sense for Detroit.  What do you not understand about Detroit has no intention of trading Monroe.

Especially for Wallace, an under-achieving aging vet on the down-side of his career with horrible multi-year contract, Brooks, backup 3rd string SG, that can't play defense, and a completely unknown draft pick that could be in the late first round... for a young, proven, quality, big man.  They would't even do that trade if you inserted Rondo for Brooks!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I laid out the reasoning. Detroit's not going to keep Monroe, Drummond and Smith. It makes much more sense to play Smith at the PF spot. If they do that, they need a proven SF to share minutes with Datome. Brooks is a good player, he was "third string" on a team with Joe Johnson ... Detroit best SG right now is an unproven Rookie. They're not going to match a big deal for Monroe in 2014, so I guarantee they try to deal him sometime this year. I think its a good package for a guy who they may straight up lose anyway. It makes them better.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to MrCricket's comment:

i don't see any reason why Detroit would make that trade... if they don't want to pay monroe they certainly wouldn't rather pay wallace. that is just a horrible trade from detroit's standpoint. really really bad.

They won't want to pay Monroe because he plays the same position as Drummond and they will pay Drummond. Maybe they get a better deal from another team, but I think they'd consider this offer and Danny has enough assets to reconfigure it to their pleasing.

I don't see another team giving up better talent and an unprotected pick... can you?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Fierce you can seriously call the guys from NBAtv experts... they are like homers, but for every team and every player.

Every real expert analysis I've seen has shown that Josh is hugely more effective at the PF spot. The trade probably won't happen but I think its a good offer and would actually make them better. I think after being showcased in a few games, interest in Wallace will rise. The contracts bad, but there aren't a ton of talented or proven SFs out there on affordable deals. It may work out in Detroit's interest to use him at that spot for a few years then trade the expiring contract for an upgrade at that spot.

Maybe Faverani shows promise and including him in the deal may make it more appealing.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

You need some help understanding basketball.

wtfh does that mean, douch. I know more than you do.

Seriously, add input or go home you loser

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

maybe sully and Crawford plus 2015 first rd pick for monroe

i think the most possible destination of wallace is cleveland

wallace for Varejao and 2014 1st rd pick 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:

Our 2014 pick? Maybe, maybe the Nets. If you're talking the Celtics, thats way too much for Varejao.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Our 2014 pick? Maybe, maybe the Nets. If you're talking the Celtics, thats way too much for Varejao.

cavs 2014 pick and varejao to boston for wallace

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

vs 2014 pick and varejao to boston for wallace

LMAO do you even understand ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

wallace to cleveland for kyrie irving and a 2014 1st round pick.. boston can throw in a 2015 2nd round pick as a sweetener, or melo as a sweetener. the cavs would be like "SWEEET!!!"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

wallace and pressey to miami for lebron james and a 1st round pick.. throw in melo as a sweetener. 

wallace and green for cp3 and griffen.. no wait, green is an untouchable super star. wallace and bogans for cp3, griffen, and a 2014 1st round pick. 

wallace and a bag a skittles for durant and westbrook. throw in a 2019 2nd round pick to sweeten the deal for OKC.

....these trades are so realistic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

This is the only sweetner we need. They'll play here for free. I love her regardless of the hottie factor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

this is just silly.  their treasure for our garbage.  teams don't give young, quality bigs away for nothing, as has been mentioned, det will have plenty of money next year.  and i assume the verajo for wallace is a joke.  why would anyone take on wallace's awful contract unless it was as a condition to get someone they really wanted, eg rondo?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.