Trade picks for picks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Trade picks for picks?

Just thinking about how the Celtics could get a third pick in this upcomming draft. I'm not entirely sure what the right strategy is for rebuilding. One argument would be to draft a few guys together and have your core set and let them grow together as part of a system with our new coach. Alternatively, if you have picks spread out over multiple years, it allows you to keep a good balance of rookie contracts on your roster and continue to get better organically each year.

So my question is this, is it possible to trade a pick for a pick? The Suns are a team that come to mind. They have four picks this year and may be interested in deferring one of those four into the future. Perhaps the Celtics could get Minnesotas pick which would be a nice 10-20 range for the Nets 2016 pick. Perhaps the Wizzards pick for the 2015 Clippers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

Re: Trade picks for picks?

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just thinking about how the Celtics could get a third pick in this upcomming draft. I'm not entirely sure what the right strategy is for rebuilding. One argument would be to draft a few guys together and have your core set and let them grow together as part of a system with our new coach. Alternatively, if you have picks spread out over multiple years, it allows you to keep a good balance of rookie contracts on your roster and continue to get better organically each year.

So my question is this, is it possible to trade a pick for a pick? The Suns are a team that come to mind. They have four picks this year and may be interested in deferring one of those four into the future. Perhaps the Celtics could get Minnesotas pick which would be a nice 10-20 range for the Nets 2016 pick. Perhaps the Wizzards pick for the 2015 Clippers?

[/QUOTE]

R9R, I would not trade any of the Nets picks that we have in pocket. That 2016 pick is not protected and if the Nets season this year is any indication of what it to come, it will be a Lottery Pick. However, that 2015 Clips pick {and Players} sure could be used to in any trade that may help us get an extra 2014 Pick. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

you guys know more about the contract scenarios than I do, BUT, it seems to me, the Celts are in a very enviable position with Rondo/Sullinger/Crawford/Bradley/Olynyk, tradeable guys and a ton of picks.  Why not stand pat?

(Everything changes if we could ever get a legitimate 5.)

Someone likened Bradley to Joe Dumars and I can see it.  He is averaging 13 a game now and he could be a lot better wtih a center and a real starting point guard.

When Rondo comes back (and if we could get a real center) everything shifts to more natural popsitioning.

I think we hold a lot of cards...why make any moves that aren't really right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to shines01's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you guys know more about the contract scenarios than I do, BUT, it seems to me, the Celts are in a very enviable position with Rondo/Sullinger/Crawford/Bradley/Olynyk, tradeable guys and a ton of picks.  Why not stand pat?

(Everything changes if we could ever get a legitimate 5.)

Someone likened Bradley to Joe Dumars and I can see it.  He is averaging 13 a game now and he could be a lot better wtih a center and a real starting point guard.

When Rondo comes back (and if we could get a real center) everything shifts to more natural popsitioning.

I think we hold a lot of cards...why make any moves that aren't really right.

[/QUOTE]

Sometime the best move made is no move at all and I see your point. As for getting a legit 5, that will be tough. There really are not many legit 5's in the League right now {Gasol, Lopez-hurt}. Just my opinion but Dwight Howard would have been a back-up in the 80's.