Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship!

Lakers- Bynum, Gasol, Odom
    OKC- Perk, Ibaka
    Memphis - Gasol, Randolph
    Miami- 2 MJ's (Wade and Lebron)
    Chicago- 1 MJ ( Rose)
    Dallas- Dirk and Chandler
    Boston- K.G. and Shaq

My wish: Howard, Jordan, K.G. for next year (unbeatable for even a team with 2 Michael Jordan's!)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship!

Da's teenage enthusiam is always amusing if rediculous and never based in reality...

so basically he is saying unless you have one of the best perimeter guys in the game you need a big and great frontcourt to win a title??

REALLY!

so teams w/ an elite PG's, short frontcourt and decent middle of the road perimeter guys don't win titles???

Stop the insanity!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship!:
    [QUOTE]Da's teenage enthusiam is always amusing if rediculous and never based in reality... so basically he is saying unless you have one of the best perimeter guys in the game you need a big and great frontcourt to win a title?? REALLY! so teams w/ an elite PG's, short frontcourt and decent middle of the road perimeter guys don't win titles??? Stop the insanity!
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

A challenge with no examples? Prove your point Jack!

Detroit - Lambeer, Rodman, Edwards, Mahorn and 1 MJ in Thomas
    Lakers- Kareem , Worthy, 1 MJ in Magic
    Celtics- Parish, McHale, Bird
    Detroit- Sheed and Wallace

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : A challenge with no examples? Prove your point Jack! Detroit - Lambeer, Rodman, Edwards, Mahorn and 1 MJ in Thomas Lakers- Kareem , Worthy, 1 MJ in Magic Celtics- Parish, McHale, Bird Detroit- Sheed and Wallace
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]MJ was a shooting guard not a point guard.

Each era has very different factors. In the 80's the key to winning was a quality impact center and an elite scorer. The Jordan era really marked a time without many elite centers and that continued. The 2000-2003 Lakers had pretty much an 80's formula with Shaq as the elite center and Kobe as the elite scorer. 

The Spurs started with Twin Towers in Robinson and Duncan but much of their run was devoid of a qualty center, Duncan is a face the basket 4, good point guard play and lock down defense. In the final years of their run Ginobli became a force. The Heat had Shaq and a 2 guard.

The C's had an elite shooting guard and an elite 3 and 4 and a jouneyman center with little depth behind him and a point guard.

If anything Miami is bucking the current trend which is winning teams are getting outstanding play from the point guard. That is what everybody left playing but Miami has in common IMO.

The NBA has left the days of no great center - no rings behind it and that is because there just aren't many of those around, in fact after Howard and Bynum, just where are those guys?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]The Jordan era really marked a time without many elite centers and that continued. Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding?
    Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson and a young Shaq just to throw some names in the ring.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : MJ was a shooting guard not a point guard. Each era has very different factors. In the 80's the key to winning was a quality impact center and an elite scorer. The Jordan era really marked a time without many elite centers and that continued. The 2000-2003 Lakers had pretty much an 80's formula with Shaq as the elite center and Kobe as the elite scorer.  The Spurs started with Twin Towers in Robinson and Duncan but much of their run was devoid of a qualty center, Duncan is a face the basket 4, good point guard play and lock down defense. In the final years of their run Ginobli became a force. The Heat had Shaq and a 2 guard. The C's had an elite shooting guard and an elite 3 and 4 and a jouneyman center with little depth behind him and a point guard. If anything Miami is bucking the current trend which is winning teams are getting outstanding play from the point guard. That is what everybody left playing but Miami has in common IMO. The NBA has left the days of no great center - no rings behind it and that is because there just aren't many of those around, in fact after Howard and Bynum, just where are those guys?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Let me clarify.

Defense wins championships.

So when I say twin towers I don't mean 2 great frontcourt players on offense but are either very good on both ends or just excellent rebounder/defenders.

When you think about it Cartwright and Grant, Longley and Rodman do fit that discription.

Malik Rose and Duncan, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : A challenge with no examples? Prove your point Jack! Detroit - Lambeer, Rodman, Edwards, Mahorn and 1 MJ in Thomas Lakers- Kareem , Worthy, 1 MJ in Magic Celtics- Parish, McHale, Bird Detroit- Sheed and Wallace
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

clearly you missed the sarcasm in my comment...

basically... thanks for pointing out the obvious... pointlessly as always

How about you go to a baseball blog and tell them "pitching wins in the playoffs!" or a hockey blog and say "a hot goaltender can win you a cup"

never any insight or intelligence from you Da.... the Celtics do need cheerleaders in the stands to have a few beers and scream tho... thats ur best role as a fan... where intelligent conversation and serious knowledge of the sport is required you are hopelessly lost

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : clearly you missed the sarcasm in my comment... basically... thanks for pointing out the obvious... pointlessly as always How about you go to a baseball blog and tell them "pitching wins in the playoffs!" or a hockey blog and say "a hot goaltender can win you a cup" never any insight or intelligence from you Da.... the Celtics do need cheerleaders in the stands to have a few beers and scream tho... thats ur best role as a fan... where intelligent conversation and serious knowledge of the sport is required you are hopelessly lost
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Really? I have been all over this board over the years and you know that I promoted these ideas:

Keeping Posey
    Keeping House
    Playing Bill Walker
    Going after Ron Artest instead of Sheed
    Drafting DeAndre Jordan instead of Giddens
    Keeping Kendrick Perkins
    Staying away from Marquis Daniels
    Keeping Leon Powe
    Giving the big 3 some rest after they looked discombobulated against the Lakers on Christmas day, 4 weeks later K.G. blows his knee out(Coincidence? Or I saw how they were laboring and actually cared!).

If we had done all those things, we are most likely still in play for banner 19 not 18.

Check my resume, boy!

P.S.- And you know full well my opinions come out the day of the game not monday morning QB!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

I am a little confused by some of the names being listed on this post. Without saying I agree or disagree with anyone, what constitudes the word twin towers. Must both players be over 7 feet? Must both players be over 6 10? Some of the players being mentioned are good but I wouldn't classify them as being a tower.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]I am a little confused by some of the names being listed on this post. Without saying I agree or disagree with anyone, what constitudes the word twin towers. Must both players be over 7 feet? Must both players be over 6 10? Some of the players being mentioned are good but I wouldn't classify them as being a tower.
    Posted by calvinator[/QUOTE]

It's how you play IMO. there are 7 footers who play like PG's or are as soft as marshmallow. Would you call them a defensive tower?

The use of look-out towers throughout history were for defensive purposes, not to get deep or anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : It's how you play IMO. there are 7 footers who play like PG's or as soft as marshmallow. Would you call them a defensive tower? The use of look-out towers throughout history were for defensive purposes, not to get deep or anything.

Ok. I think I know where you are coming from. You really don't mean true twin towers (literaly) but rather two talented forwards that combined ,help their teams out. I think the thread should have been listed as combo forwards instead of twin towers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship!:
    [QUOTE]Lakers- Bynum, Gasol, Odom OKC- Perk, Ibaka Memphis - Gasol, Randolph Miami- 2 MJ's (Wade and Lebron) Chicago- 1 MJ ( Rose) Dallas- Dirk and Chandler Boston- K.G. and Shaq My wish: Howard, Jordan, K.G. for next year (unbeatable for even a team with 2 Michael Jordan's!)

Duncan and Robinson.....

I love hearing about how important the point guard is.... in the last 20 years there have been two point guards that I would even consider good let alone great that have won championships - Billups and Parker.  The Billups team had two Wallaces and Parker has had Duncan.

5 Lakers rings do indeed include Kobe but he gets none of them without Shaq and Pau.

4 Spurs rings include a variety of players but get no rings without Duncan and the Admiral.

6 Bulls teams had a variety of good front court players - Horace Grant and Rodman to name a couple but without Scottie and Michael - no rings.

Who were the teams that won rings or challenged for rings during those Bulls years?  Patricks Knicks and Hakeems Rockets and Mournings Heat....

There is a crazy stat somehwere and I have no idea to find it but it goes something like this..... how many players have Kobe, Michael, Hakeem, and Timmie gotten for players?  In other words regardless of who the bit players were, they were still getting rings because of those guys.  Obviously the more rings the more bit players.

Don't discount Pippen so quickly - one could very easily argue that they were the two best players in the league at the time they were in their prime.  The two years Michael was suspended for gambling (I mean left to play baseball) they still went to the ECF - that is how good Scottie was.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : Ok. I think I know where you are coming from. You really don't mean true twin towers (literaly) but rather two talented forwards that combined ,help their teams out. I think the thread should have been listed as combo forwards instead of twin towers.
    Posted by calvinator[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that the guys I have mentioned are short?

Perkins and Ibaka are 6-9 like Rodman and Worthy. Are they doing a good job?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship!:
    [QUOTE]Lakers- Bynum, Gasol, Odom OKC- Perk, Ibaka Memphis - Gasol, Randolph Miami- 2 MJ's (Wade and Lebron) Chicago- 1 MJ ( Rose) Dallas- Dirk and Chandler Boston- K.G. and Shaq My wish: Howard, Jordan, K.G. for next year (unbeatable for even a team with 2 Michael Jordan's!)

p.s. there have been several times during the OKC - Mem series where there have been shots of Durant next to Perk, and maybe it is the camera angle, but it appears that Durant is taller than Perk.  To somehow suggest that Perk is a twin tower is just plain silly.  Had they not made the trade both teams would still be where they are right now - the Cs watching and the Thunder playing.  Perk looks very old and slow and I think OKC will eventually regret the signing especially with a potential hard cap.  What one earth is OKC going to do when they find out they can't sign Ibaka or Harden because they signed stiff um I mean Perk?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : Really? I have been all over this board over the years and you know that I promoted these ideas: Keeping Posey Keeping House Playing Bill Walker Going after Ron Artest instead of Sheed Drafting DeAndre Jordan instead of Giddens Keeping Kendrick Perkins Staying away from Marquis Daniels Keeping Leon Powe Giving the big 3 some rest after they looked discombobulated against the Lakers on Christmas day, 4 weeks later K.G. blows his knee out(Coincidence? Or I saw how they were laboring and actually cared!). If we had done all those things, we are most likely still in play for banner 19 not 18. Check my resume, boy! P.S.- And you know full well my opinions come out the day of the game not monday morning QB!

I said all the same things ...excpet I wanted Ariza over Artest (and McDyess to get the front door welcome party, only they convince him to take the LLE and make up the diff out of pocket wink wink)

and I would still make the Perkins trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It had little to nothing to do w/ our loss to Miami and any fool who laments it is just that.

As for the way you obnoxiously post on purpose and the obvious pointless things you say.... they clearly put you among 'beer drinking fan who should cheer from rafters" over "intelligent contributor to forum".

Saying the right thing 1 out of every 3 times... while making multiple other idiotic trade suggestions that show no knowledge of the league... and attemption to annoy people... earns you no points in my book Da

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tachometrix. Show Tachometrix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unless you have a Michael Jordan you need Twin Towers for a Championship! : Are you suggesting that the guys I have mentioned are short? Perkins and Ibaka are 6-9 like Rodman and Worthy. Are they doing a good job?

Perkins and Ibaka are both 6-10 while Rodman is 6-8 and Worthy is 6-9.

Worthy was also a SF, not a PF.