Use Perk to get that elusive SF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF

time is on our side....maybe one of the young guys ,( SIMS , HARANGODY, GAFFNEY )  will step up in camp.....also DANIELS may yet be the answer....BEAT L. A. ...BEAT L. A. ...BEAT L. A. .......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF:
    [I have a gut feeling that Von Wafer will be a very good backup. He's big enough to play both 2 and 3 positions. He shot 39% from 3 point range in 09. He's also very athletic. Daniels is a solid backup. He lacks some skills, but the C's could do much worse for a reserve.  Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Wafer at 6'5" and Daniels at 6'6" would get eaten alive by the likes of Lebron, Carmelo & Durant.  We need a taller, stronger and more athletic 3 to deal with the league's elite scorers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperNtrain. Show SuperNtrain's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF : Perk is important to this team. JO has been terrible for the past few years. Look how he performed for miami this past post season when the C's played them. Shaq is good for 10 minutes a game and is nearly 40. Perk has been claimed by many sports announcers to be the best post defender in the league. I agree about Prince. He is my number 1 wing player, but i would not trade that much for him. We can get posey or battier for just sheeds contract. And the ppl here that are putting BBD in trade talks are crazy. Especially when paired with perk. That would leave us with only the oneals as big men. Dont underestimate Perk. And there is no one out that we can get that would add more to this team than BBD.
    Posted by bcgreen[/QUOTE]You don't know the players well.

A. Jermaine O'Neil had a high sprain ankle injury when Miami played BOston in the post season.

B. Shaq can give an honest 16-24 quality minutes per game still.

C. SInce the C's literally have half the entire NBA's quality bigmen on their team now, and minutes can be kept low for all, wear and tear will be at a minimum. Performance for all should go UP. None of the C's PF's or C's will be expected to carry the team for any stretch run, or even for a single game literally. You literally have 5-6 bigs who on any night can give you 20 plus points.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF : You don't know the players well. A. Jermaine O'Neil had a high sprain ankle injury when Miami played BOston in the post season. B. Shaq can give an honest 16-24 quality minutes per game still. C. SInce the C's literally have half the entire NBA's quality bigmen on their team now, and minutes can be kept low for all, wear and tear will be at a minimum. Performance for all should go UP. None of the C's PF's or C's will be expected to carry the team for any stretch run, or even for a single game literally. You literally have 5-6 bigs who on any night can give you 20 plus points.
    Posted by SuperNtrain[/QUOTE]

Agree with A & B completely.

C? 5 or 6 bigs who can score 20 any given night? Hmmm. That is a bit of a stretch, unless you mean if we fed them the rock and gave them 35+ minutes and the chances to do so. But the team shouldn't be doing that.

Shaq scored 20 points 6 times last year, 1 of them a playoff game vs us. I would look for 16-20 mins as you said, all with KG on the court with him. A few games where he is hot and gets like 28 mins and a 16 and 10 would be great. He will be a very useful puzzle piece.

Jermaine O'Neal scored 20 9x last year, good to see he had a strong start tho before the injuries you mentioned that came later in the year. He hyperextended his knee as well. He had 7 double doubles in his 1st 18 games. I can easily see 24-28 mins per from him, a couple 20 point games, and a better than expected season, if he is indeed healthier than at any point in the last 3 years.

Perk scored 20 once last year. He was pretty much a 12/9 with over 2 blocks a game through January, then really fell off, sad to see. If we had the Perk we got the 1st 3 months of the year for the entire playoffs we prob would have taken Miami and Orlando in sweeps and LA/Cleve each in 5. Now it won't be till '11-'12 before we see that Perk again.

Baby scored 20 only once all season as well. I expect him to start the season getting 24-28 mins a game and giving us a 9/5

KG should be healthier than anytime in 2 years. I'd look for a few 20 point games from him, he had 12 last year, but also a lot of rest as we are stacked up front and he needs it. Another 24-28 min a game guy, but a better PER in the time he does play, as he'll be more comfortable with his body all year and more able to spend his energy on defense with Shaq a bigger offensive threat than Perk playing next to him.

That's 5... and one guy will miss 2/3 of the season. Unless you think Harangody is a threat to score 20?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]It's still August, no need to rush. It's just a matter of time before Houston unloads Shane Battier.  If Houston gets Sheed's contract for Battier they would fall under the luxury tax threshold. That means they would not have to pay any luxury tax money.  
    Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE]

I makes sense, esp when you consdier Budinger is a better shooter and had a better PEr last year than Battier, who is a step too slow to be defending most SG's anyhow

That leaves just the minutes behind Ariza... sure it is a luxury to have talent like Battier for 16 mins off the bench.. but is that worth 12-14 million and the loss of the 1st rd pick we'd offer for him? IMO no, Jeffries can play those mins and the team won't miss much

Only thing is Houston doesn't care much for $ savings, they want help now

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]It's still August, no need to rush. It's just a matter of time before Houston unloads Shane Battier.  If Houston gets Sheed's contract for Battier they would fall under the luxury tax threshold. That means they would not have to pay any luxury tax money.  
    Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE]

Maybe when they're out of it but we can't wait to use Sheed's contract until Feb. He gave the C's until the start of the season unless they want to pay him to stay home until they can get Battier and Danny's not likely to do that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Perk to get that elusive SF : [QUOTE ]It's still August, no need to rush. It's just a matter of time before Houston unloads Shane Battier.  If Houston gets Sheed's contract for Battier they would fall under the luxury tax threshold. That means they would not have to pay any luxury tax money.   Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE] Maybe when they're out of it but we can't wait to use Sheed's contract until Feb. He gave the C's until the start of the season unless they want to pay him to stay home until they can get Battier and Danny's not likely to do that.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and I've said this before. Gotta use Sheed by the start of training camp, let alone the regular season.

I guess if all else fails you can swap him for Posey and demand something from NO in return for saving them 12 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

rameakap, you think Dunleavy could help behind Pierce?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd have liked Dunleavy a lot if we kept Tony

Going into this summer I felt we needed backups to Paul and Ray (obviously) with TA being a FA and pretty much having no bu SF for 2 years running

one of them HAD to be able to score, we had a stagnant offense and the bench blew way too many leads in the 2nd half, but the other HAD to defend. I preferred to get the defensive SF and a guy like Fernandez, Wafer, Daniels as a scoring 2... but i would've been happy with TA and Dunleavy as well

At this point no thanks, defense of LeBron/Deng/Rashard/Melo/Durant on and on is most important

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Then Posey is the only real option left at this point ... at least he only has two yrs left to his contract which fits Danny's plan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

No Posey or Battier if Larry Hughes becomes a Celtic. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]No Posey or Battier if Larry Hughes becomes a Celtic.  http://celticshub.com/2010/08/04/return-of-the-larry-hughes-talk/
    Posted by ConnectingRod[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make much sense - Boris Diaw does though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from qianxue. Show qianxue's posts

I have a gut feeling that Von Wafer will be a very good backup
    www.america-jerseys.com

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rangerous. Show rangerous's posts

one of the problems is that perk is about as good as he's going to get.  it can be argued that losing him for game 7 lost the series but in reality llama boy gasol would have been able to score at will and perk is painful to watch when he gets the ball down low.  in short he is expendable especially now that the celtics have a power front court (at least on paper) and if these guys can play together and be motivated, then perk will be the odd man out.  perk is also fairly and will also need to be replaced shortly after the garnett's contract expires just on that basis.  the celts can trade him for a player they need and they need a vinnie johnson clone.

the only misgivings i have is that the celts will be relying on rivers to motivate and teach the players.  imo this guy is a bum and only succeeded because he got excellent players and thibodeau.  now those players are older and may not care so much about returning to former glory.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I'd have liked Dunleavy a lot if we kept Tony Going into this summer I felt we needed backups to Paul and Ray (obviously) with TA being a FA and pretty much having no bu SF for 2 years running one of them HAD to be able to score, we had a stagnant offense and the bench blew way too many leads in the 2nd half, but the other HAD to defend. I preferred to get the defensive SF and a guy like Fernandez, Wafer, Daniels as a scoring 2... but i would've been happy with TA and Dunleavy as well At this point no thanks, defense of LeBron/Deng/Rashard/Melo/Durant on and on is most important
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I agree that we still need a good backup SF.   We definitely need someone who will be a good defensive player.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

what about Nocioni?

Not for Perk of course, but for Sheed

i'd think Philly would have to toss us a bone as well b/c of how much $ we'd save them

Is he better than Posey? Def younger, I'd put him in that tier, with Prince and Battier then much better options.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]what about Nocioni? Not for Perk of course, but for Sheed i'd think Philly would have to toss us a bone as well b/c of how much $ we'd save them Is he better than Posey? Def younger, I'd put him in that tier, with Prince and Battier then much better options.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

TMAC!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ugh, no T-Mac.. the Bulls could actully have used him more, had a private workout with him and passed...

china doll T-Mac could never play good D when in his prime

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I don't want people to think this thread is trying to diminish what Perk did for us over 3 years. Clearly Shaq is the best available option and will be a big help. But you'd rather have a healthy Perk over Shaq. too abad he won't be back to full health till the '11-'12 season... AND he is a free agent before that.

Perk was having a very good season before injuries wore him down in February. This was also for long stretches w/o KG to dispel that myth.

In his 1st 45 games last year Perk had:

29 games scoring in double figures. He had 20 games of 13+ points, 7 games of 16+ and TWO 20 point games

27 games of 8+ rebounds, 17 games of 10+ boards, 11 at 12+ and 5 at 14+

26 games he blocked 2 or more shots, 17 games 3+, 7 4+ games and 2 games with 5 blocks

Perk was no slouch, in that role he was VERY good, it stinks that he got hurt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Hi rameakap:  Good post. Several bloggers here don't appreciate Perk. He's a blue collar type player. He's a big bruiser who plays very good defense and is a better than average rebounder. He's also a big body, which always a good thing. His scoring is effective as indicated by his shooting percentage.
       Sure he has weaknesses such as having poor hands " can't catch a pass very well", consistently fouls while setting picks and can't shoot the mid-range shot. 
       All in all, I think he's been a good Celtic. I hope he sticks around for a long time, but at a reasonable salary being 4 to 5 million per season. I don't think Perk is worth the big money of 7-8 million or more. He's a free agent next year. I'm not opposed to trading him, but only if the C's get a good player in return. However Perks trade value is currently low due to his injury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Hi rameakap:  Good post. Several bloggers here don't appreciate Perk. He's a blue collar type player. He's a big bruiser who plays very good defense and is a better than average rebounder. He's also a big body, which always a good thing. His scoring is effective as indicated by his shooting percentage.    Sure he has weaknesses such as having poor hands " can't catch a pass very well", consistently fouls while setting picks and can't shoot the mid-range shot.     All in all, I think he's been a good Celtic. I hope he sticks around for a long time, but at a reasonable salary being 4 to 5 million per season. I don't think Perk is worth the big money of 7-8 million or more. He's a free agent next year. I'm not opposed to trading him, but only if the C's get a good player in return. However Perks trade value is currently low due to his injury.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Thanks mem

Yes Perk was often not appreciated. The guy we got 1st 3 months of last season was worth more than 7-8 million per year. He def did fade away though.

My thing with Perk is that '10-'11 will almost certainly be a lost season for him. He's expected to return in Feb with a bulky knee brace and start taking mins away from a hopefully healthy and productive foursome of Shaq, JON, KG and Baby?? I can see him getting back to 80-90% of his former self by April/May and being useful if we run into Dwight Howard, but that is about it.

Considering how much more important I think a full season of Prince or Battier would be to this team and its title chances, I would trade Perk in a package for one of them. Maybe Detroit would like to know they can get a look at him for a few weeks and outbid any MLE offers for him next summer as a Ben Wallace replacement. Maybe Houston would see his injury return perfectly timed with a chance to rest Yao and get something in return at the deadline for a lesser talent in Brad Miller?

Clearly I am not talking about trading him for Posey or Nocioni, they would prob be given to us for Sheed's deal. We can get one of them and a 2nd rd pick as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Diaw would be good, I think Larry Brown likes him a lot tho?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Yea thats a good idea..lets trade one of the few true bigs in the league since we jus signed or have bigs all over thirty..so in 2 yrs when they are gone(JO Shaq Sheed)..We have NO big man...
    Posted by BBALLIQ[/QUOTE]

Ainge has made it so we have TONs of cap space to sign Dwight Howard after '12

If Perk was traded we can always scratch the Howard dream and offer him the full MLE to return

Or Perk may just take a 1 year deal for '11-'12 to show he is healthy and try to cash in for more than just MLE cash... if we don't get howard he'd fall right back into our laps

The only bad thing would be if Perk was traded, signed an extesnion with that team and then no Howard. But if the Sf we added in a trade for him helps us win a title, who cares?