Vitor Faverani: a Mystery No More!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Vitor Faverani: a Mystery No More!

Vitor Faverani: a Mystery No More

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Vitor Faverani was great tonight. He finished with 11 points on 5-9 shooting along with 6 rebounds in just 20 minutes of play. He runs the floor very well and has very good hands. He's also not afraid to bang inside. He was even 1-2 from beyond the arc. Vitor may just be a steal for the Celtics

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Re: Vitor Faverani: a Mystery No More!

Liking what I'm seeing from this guy so far. From the footage I saw of him over the summer, he looked really slow to me. That doesn't seem to be the case at all. Can he keep it going? Go Vitor!!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Vitor should be our starting center.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The video clip shows Fav has good hands, instincts, and a decent b-ball IQ!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

25 years old with upside!! Now he needs to spend some time with B. Doo in the weight room!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I think we try Bradley Green Wallace Bass Humphries, if we get stomped by other bigs on the boards we put Bass on the bench and start Vitor at center with Humphries at pf.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

We still have Bass ???? Crap !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I was certainly wrong about Vitor. There's something there.

I think I caught Rondo salivating from the sidelines last game...

He's Wilcox with better hands, better length, and an outside touch. Lets just hope we avoid - as one writer put it recently - the Darko redux

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's Wilcox with better hands, better length, and an outside touch. Lets just hope we avoid - as one writer put it recently - the Darko redux

[/QUOTE]Dang, and the guy looks to have some light, active feet.  I am very surprised.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I've liked this guy since watching his Euro highlights the moment he was signed, Ainge is undoubtedly the man.  Pressey was another great signing and I'm wondering if this Babb kid won't make it a trifecta.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

If Babb can keep stroking that 3 and play d he has a place in the NBA as a roll player more than he did in college ball. Danny and Brad both seem to get it about young talent unlike Doc who was not enamored. I think they get him to Portland because until they clear some space on the roster cause he looks good. He's long too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Vitor has been the most surprising player so far in these 2 games. Its amazing how impressed we get as celtic fans when we see a big who can simply roll to the rim and finish with a dunk. Its just such a rare site in these parts. We have had so few over the years. The closest weve had is wilcox and shaq. Every other big is pick and pop type. I agree, he will be a very good fit with rondo running the pick and roll. On top of that he can actually shoot to, so he should be able to do both, pick and roll/pop. He also runs the floor very well for a guy his size. That should also fit with rondo and our new system.

Other than his ability to finish at the rim,  I have been impressed with his steady defense, While not a shotblocker he puts himself in good position and simply puts his hands up and makes guys shoot over him, all without fouling too. You can see this guy is polished from all those years as a pro in europe. Melo shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as this guy.

When da signed this guys for 3years at $6 mill , I was really shocked, especially since we are on a rebuild that he would sign a guy for that much and that length, but now i see his logic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

woah easy on Babb guys.

A no namer hits 4 threes in garbage time against non guarenteed players in the preseason and he's instantly declared the next Ray Allen.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

woah easy on Babb guys.

A no namer hits 4 threes in garbage time against non guarenteed players in the preseason and he's instantly declared the next Ray Allen.

[/QUOTE]

He has hit threes, free throws and jump shots in summer league as well.  He has been consistantly good with increasing minutes, I just hope he gets some extended minutes this preseason so we can really judge him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

[QUOTE]

woah easy on Babb guys.

[/QUOTE]

He's already done more than Bass has for his entire career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]

woah easy on Babb guys.

[/QUOTE]

true, BUT dont we all love the idea of a nobody making the team and contribute with a young new core? and apparently, he is a hard worker as well...we have to stop fantasizing about bringin a superstar for now and embrace what we have 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we try Bradley Green Wallace Bass Humphries, if we get stomped by other bigs on the boards we put Bass on the bench and start Vitor at center with Humphries at pf.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1 agree - why not Vitor at center! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can relate R9R - I was not exactly spot-on about Fab Melo! BUT hey to error is human! 

I cant wait to see Fav in action tonight!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LMAO...Vitor may end up being a decent player...but right now the C's are 16 behind the 76ers...not the Heat, the 76ers...how much difference he makes is pretty much a moot point until the team vastly upgrades it's talent pool...another true center couldn't hurt.

[/QUOTE]

Vitor played 5 minutes, I think coach Stevens is looking at different groupings and players.  When he has played he has been very good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

What a bargain honestly...DA is tha man..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]

woah easy on Babb guys.

[/QUOTE]

As a senior Babb was one of the Big 12’s top defenders, earning Big 12 All-Defense honors...second on the team in steals, averaging 1.1 spg...was third on the team in 3-pointers with 65, tying for 14th on ISU’s single-season chart...averaged 2.0 3-pointers per game to rank seventh in the Big 12...averaged 2.2 3-pointers in league play to rank fourth in the Big 12 and shot 40.8 percent from 3-point range in conference games to rank fourth in the Big 12

He's no McLemore ( also a Big 12 baller) but a poor man's option none the less;

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ben-mclemore-1.html#players_per_game::none

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chris-babb-1.html#players_per_game::none

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

woah easy on Babb guys.

[/QUOTE]

true, BUT dont we all love the idea of a nobody making the team and contribute with a young new core? and apparently, he is a hard worker as well...we have to stop fantasizing about bringin a superstar for now and embrace what we have 

[/QUOTE]

Correct, and Babb was brought in by Danny at Stevens request. Might the new coach get to keep one of his own picks?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Faverani's game translating to NBA October, 10, 2013 OCT 10 11:45 PM ET By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com WALTHAM, Mass. -- Vitor Faverani is a mountain of a man and the only thing snazzier than his fauxhawk is his nickname, El Hombre Indestructible. Watch the rookie big man in action for theBoston Celtics: He's often the loudest voice on the floor, barking out commands like a veteran from the back line of Boston's defense. 

Mark L. Baer/USA TODAY Sports Vitor Faverani has made a big impression in a short time. Which is ironic when you consider that Faverani's biggest adjustment to the NBA game might simply be the language. The 6-foot-11, 265-pound center is a native of Brazil and spent the past eight seasons honing his game while playing professionally in Spain. 

At times, it seems like the only thing that can dent the Indestructible Man is the language. He has bravely attempted to navigate media sessions stateside while responding in English (he did have Austin Ainge help translate on Media Day) and always handles himself well. In fact, the broken and honest nature of his responses only endears him further. 

An example: Late in the first half of Wednesday's preseason loss to the New York Knicks in Providence, Faverani was running the floor in transition whenCourtney Lee threaded a beautiful bounce pass to him in the lane. Faverani, in one smooth motion, brought in the pass and delivered a right-handed slam over New York'sAndrea Bargnani as both the Boston bench and Dunkin' Donuts Center erupted in celebration. 

Asked after the game about the positive response to his highlight dunk, Faverani said, "I don’t have time for nothing on the court; I made the dunk but then I have to run back on defense. But I’m very, very happy. I’m very, very happy. Because the dunks can help my teammates. I can show the coach [Brad Stevens] I can play in the NBA. I’m very happy." 

So, too, are the Celtics, who utilized a portion of their midlevel exception to ink Faverani to a three-year, $6.3 million contract, one of their only free-agent splurges as part of a summer roster overhaul. Faverani arrived with plenty of question marks about his game, including whether he could handle the physicality of the NBA level. He said on Media Day that he likes to "fight" on the floor and pledged to live up to his physically fierce nickname. 

The scouting report upon Faverani's signing suggested a skilled offensive player, but a question mark on the defensive end. Sure enough, early returns show a player with range to the 3-point line (Faverani hit a late-clock, fadeaway 3-pointer in the first half Wednesday) who can run the floor or slip free to the basket and finish with loud dunks. 

Faverani registered 11 points on 5-of-9 shooting with a team-high six rebounds over 20 minutes in Wednesday's loss to the Knicks, then earned high praise from his coach. 

"He’s a better shooter than he’s shooting it and he can score it on the block better than we’ve thrown it to him or that he’s played on the blocks," said Stevens. "You’ve got to be a little bit more efficient, and we’ve got to help him with that. But he’s done a really good job. 

"I’ve probably been more impressed with him on the other end of the floor. He’s calling out our defensive schemes pretty well, in fact at times I think he’s our most vocal big. And he’s doing a really good job for a guy that’s never guarded the way we’re asking him to guard." 

Faverani certainly hasn't been perfect, but you can see the potential. What's more, he is Boston's only pure center on the roster and that aids his chances of being in the rotation when the regular season opens on Oct. 30 in Toronto. 

"I think he’s got a pretty good ceiling and he is the guy on our roster that is a true center," said Stevens. "He’s a guy that has to play, I think, as we move forward." 

Faverani has been working each day with veteran assistant coach Ron Adams to improve both his shooting and his defense. Stevens admitted there's a tangible improvement in his play since even the start of training camp. 

"He is getting better every single day," said Stevens. "Did I think he’d be able to do this on Day 1 in Newport? No. So, that’s good, because we’re only nine days [past] that. He’s getting more comfortable. He’s still got a little bit of a language barrier. But he runs what we want to run out of the timeouts, he doesn’t have any problem translating anything we’re trying to do on the court." 

No, Faverani's game is translating fine at the NBA level so far.
    Chris Forsberg Celtics reporter, ESPNBoston.com
    • Covered Celtics since 2007
    • Emmy award-winning videographer
    • Joined ESPNBoston.com in 2009
      Tags:

Boston CelticsVitor Faverani

Previous Post Practice: Programming the Defensive DNA Next Post W2W4: C's vs. 76ers (Preseason Game 3)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vitor has been the most surprising player so far in these 2 games. Its amazing how impressed we get as celtic fans when we see a big who can simply roll to the rim and finish with a dunk. Its just such a rare site in these parts. We have had so few over the years. The closest weve had is wilcox and shaq. Every other big is pick and pop type. I agree, he will be a very good fit with rondo running the pick and roll. On top of that he can actually shoot to, so he should be able to do both, pick and roll/pop. He also runs the floor very well for a guy his size. That should also fit with rondo and our new system.

Other than his ability to finish at the rim,  I have been impressed with his steady defense, While not a shotblocker he puts himself in good position and simply puts his hands up and makes guys shoot over him, all without fouling too. You can see this guy is polished from all those years as a pro in europe. Melo shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as this guy.

When da signed this guys for 3years at $6 mill , I was really shocked, especially since we are on a rebuild that he would sign a guy for that much and that length, but now i see his logic.

[/QUOTE]We are one injury or trade or coach decision away from this guy getting big minutes during the next two years.  He most likely will turn out to be a steal at his price.