WE ALL LOVE RAY, but RAY ALLEN IS DONE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Re: WE ALL LOVE RAY, but RAY ALLEN IS DONE!

Bird-to-DJ,
    Unfortunately, you are wrong saying that RA is not a decoy. If you watched him during the last few games you'd see that there's almost always somebody attached to him, sometimes literally. Which opens lanes or other players.
    Unfortunately, his effectivness in this role is fading away. His injury slows him down and doesn't allow him to curle around the screens and get open as before. Opponents picking up on that, obviously.
    I don't know how long he'll be able to last.
    Regardless, his presence on the floor is very important.

AK

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

In Response to Re: WE ALL LOVE RAY, but RAY ALLEN IS DONE!:
    [QUOTE]Again it is not the offense that is the problem.  It is the defense, ala game 4 collapse.  I don't see an unfair vitriol here, it is a difference in opinion and philosophy.  If MP is not getting the shots, then more shots will go to KG/Pierce/Bass/Rondo.  MP is there more for defense.  And I don't know where you get your stat from but what is the stat for last 3-4 games where RA is very hurt?
    Posted by scubber[/QUOTE]

Stats are the playoff stats from NBA.com.  They are all playopff games when RA has been hurt and MP more healthy if not totally healthy...

During the game 4 collapse it was everything... you don't lose an 18 point lead without poor defense, poor offense, lack of focus, coaching mistakes or coaching choices thay might have made sense (going small has worked at other times) but certainly didn't work...  RA's defense was just one piece of that and to assume that MP being on the floor instead would have made any difference... well I can't prove you wrong...  And when RA is on the floor - there is mroe space for everyone else because the 76ers are blanketing him... scoring in 4-on-4 is easier than 5-5 no different than 1-on- is easier than 3-on-3 for good offensive players.  

Also if you don't see the vitriol - just look at the title of this thread and the similar thread yesterday on RA... and all the threads on Rondo... and on Doc... be critical with support - great but the drum beat in tiring... (not from you but others...)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

[QUOTE]Bird-to-DJ, Unfortunately, you are wrong saying that RA is not a decoy. If you watched him during the last few games you'd see that there's almost always somebody attached to him, sometimes literally. Which opens lanes or other players. Unfortunately, his effectivness in this role is fading away. His injury slows him down and doesn't allow him to curle around the screens and get open as before. Opponents picking up on that, obviously. I don't know how long he'll be able to last. Regardless, his presence on the floor is very important. AK
    Posted by sinus007[/QUOTE]

Let's not get too caught up in a semantic game...  If RA got open off a screen, I expect he gets the ball and shoots it.  Unless you think RR or KG would not pass him the ball then he is not a decoy.  He is an option that Philly is focused on taking away... and RA isn't able to create separation.  If you mean by decoy that he is pulling a defender away from being able to provide help defense, then I agree and in so doing RA is being an effective part of an offensive attack by totally occupying a defender and reducing the overall team defensive effectiveness.  Notice the difference in how MP is guarded than RA and it seems clear RA helps create better defensive spacing just with his presence onteh floor.  Doen't change the fact he and MP need to knock downmroe of the open jumpers.

It will be interesting to see if Philly (and hopefully someone next round) start to NOT beso concerned with Ray.  If he then starts to get open jumpers andis not knocking them down,then the defensive capabillities of MP start to play more heavily into a coaches decisions...

Also, recall the Cavs series several years ago when RA again wasn't getting many touches because a Cavs defender never left his hip.  Many were critical of RA then as well, btu as a jump shooter - you canbe shut donif the defense does not ask his defender to be invloved in help androtation situations - making all the other players mroe effective... from your response, I realize you said very much the same thing..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

If the last two games don't show you that Ray is D-O-N-E, DONE!!!! then you are simply being a HOMER! No matter the injury, he is on the floor. His instincts, reactions, defense, and constant turnover ability, etc. prove that he is DONE! At best he is a designated spot shooter. The rest of his game is sub par for an NBA shooting guard. His ankle injury is not the only reason he is playing so poorly. Passing the ball with no committment and turning it over 1/2 the time is simply poor instinct. Avery Bradley is/was huge for this team as he was stopping Philly's guards with his constant on the ball pressure. Ray is simply a pylon in the road that they are blowing by, and this was the case even before his ankle problems. Sorry, I love him for what he has done in the past for this team/city, but not for what he is now or will be doing moving forward. I love Larry Bird too! But I'll be damned if I'd want him on the floor for us right now! Stop the sentimental BS and lets get Bill Belicheck on these guys! Please, DOC, no more RAY! He is painful to watch.......especially right now!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]If the last two games don't show you that Ray is D-O-N-E, DONE!!!! then you are simply being a HOMER! No matter the injury, he is on the floor. His instincts, reactions, defense, and constant turnover ability, etc. prove that he is DONE! At best he is a designated spot shooter. The rest of his game is sub par for an NBA shooting guard. His ankle injury is not the only reason he is playing so poorly. Passing the ball and truning it over 1/2 the time is simply poor instincts. Avery Bradley's D is huge for this team as he was stopping Philly's guards with his on the ball pressure constantly. Ray is simply a pylon in the road that they are blowing by, and this was the case even before his ankle problems. Sorry, I love him for waht he has done in the past for this team/city, but not for what he is ro will be doing moving forward. I love Larry Bird too! But I'll be damned if I'd want him on the floor for us right now! Stop the sentimental BS and lets get Bill Belicheck on these guys! Please, DOC, no more RAY! He is painful to watch.......especially right now!!!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

Terrible post!!

Did you see that Paul Pierce made two dumb passes last nite.  Garnett made couple dumb bad passes.  Yes Ray made turnovers, but couple of them is when he bumped into the second defender who tried to double teamed him.  He just lost his handle.  Philly just did an awful job double-teaming Allen and Pierce alot last nite.  But are these two fault for playing poorly, no. They both wanted to find another way to get some points since no one else other than Garnett can find a way to score point.

Cant believe you all hate Allen.  Allen was not the alone fault for losing the game last nite.  It was Pierce, Garnett, Rondo, of course, Bass, Allen, and the worst part is the bench!!!!!!  Bench stunk for the whole series!!!

By the way, Bradley is done for the year!!!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

Always interesting when I make one of my rare trips back here from my usual board.

IMHO Bird-to-DJ and Uconn are taking the most objective and realistic look at the situation.

Ray is suffering from a painful ankle problem that can be fixed, that doesn't make him "done" in the least.

Attempting to put points on the board or keeping one more defender tied down, an injured Ray is still valuable.  A shooter is a shooter and the only thing you can do is let him keep shooting until he finds the bottom of the net; in a slump or with a game altered by injury. Ray is still one of the guys left on the floor on this team who you want to see with the ball because he gives you a chance that Quis, Sasha, Dooling and Moore cannot.  Even injured.

You also have to consider it's the last roundup for this bunch.  You put your best and most experienced guns out there and ride them into the ground if need be because you may not get another chance.  

Some people may need to go back and read up on the '69 Celtics to see what sticking with some hobbled old players can do.  Or save the reading time if you wish and check the rafters at the Garden; the '69 team has a banner hanging there last time I checked.

Regards