We Have A Season; Stern to Blame?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: We Have A Season; Stern to Blame?

The season is on what are the details.  It seems like the signing and additions will be like the gold rush.  What are the rules? Will the Lakers be allowed by their best friend Stern to make themselves whole by raiding Orlando as they did fifteen years ago?  Danny is going to be tested.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

In Response to Re: We Have A Season; Stern to Blame?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Have A Season; Stern to Blame? : I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong........as soon as the deal is ratified.  And I've been RIGHT since July, I've only been wrong since yesterday.  Still have my doubts, by the way..........
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    Just kidding with you my friend but the fat lady has song for this lock out.
    Will be posting with you all season long. No hard feelings. Lol.
                                                                       Regards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The season is on what are the details.  It seems like the signing and additions will be like the gold rush.  What are the rules? Will the Lakers be allowed by their best friend Stern to make themselves whole by raiding Orlando as they did fifteen years ago?  Danny is going to be tested.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Owners get 51% of the revenue.  No hard cap, but higher luxury tax for owners that spend over the soft cap.  At least that is what I heard them saying on NBA TV.   I am sure they will have more details to follow when this is finally agreed upon by owners and players. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce,
    I will predict that Orlando will get more than Bynum from the Lakers.  Odom most likely, as much as I would cry foul if it happens and it would be much harder to take to seem them get Howard with just Bynum.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

I'n not all that excited, but it will be good to see my Celtics take the court with a couple of extra months of rest. My old college bball team is doing good so I was content on the lockout riding on out to a nuclear winter!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce,
    I am sure Orlando could find someone to make the deal match.  But more importantly I hope you are right that Orlando will not dare move him and take their chances.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Fierce, I will predict that Orlando will get more than Bynum from the Lakers.  Odom most likely, as much as I would cry foul if it happens and it would be much harder to take to seem them get Howard with just Bynum.  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Why would Orlando want Bynum?  He is a good player who is always injured.  Orlando would have to get an additional player to make the salaries match.  Maybe Odom and Bynum would work, but I still don't know why Orlando would want Bynum.  Who plays when he is injured? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Great point Susan and he hurt his brand big time last year in the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Have A Season; Stern to Blame? : Bynum + Odom for Dwight = salaries don't match. I don't think Orlando will trade Dwight to the Lakers. Fans in Orlando will go crazy if that happens.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Why would they trade him to the lakers at all?  I think he stays in ORL, but IF he is traded, Otis (my man) Smith has said someone would have to take Arenas or Turkoglu's contract.  Of course, that may change as the season wears on, but I think he can do better than Bynum...and if not, ship the guy out to MN or CLE....that's what I'd do!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i say we blame glen davis for the season.  pin it on his back and run him out of town on a rail!!!!  and then sit and watch other teams walk all over our bench unit

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vabosoxer. Show vabosoxer's posts

Who cares? Does anybody really miss the nba? The nba is not the nfl?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Who cares? Does anybody really miss the nba? The nba is not the nfl?
    Posted by vabosoxer[/QUOTE]

Most of us that post on this site are basketball fans.   Basketball is my favorite sport and I have missed the NBA so far this year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

basketball is still my favorite sport.  but pro basketball is sinking to the bottom of the list.  likability of players, work ethics, fundamental skill sets, true actual team play- much of it is missing from the pro game these days.

i'm going to have a mighty hard time watching games this season after this out of touch labor spat in this economy.  let alone order season ticket like i have the last four years- that is definitely out.

the likability of the big 3 is even dwindled for me.  i mean garnett out there with his STILL COMING INTO THE BANK deferred pay rallying up the ham and eggers of the league to "stay together" and all that crap?  really?  ray allen and paul pierce meeting personally with david stern?  all 1 1/2 years of college between them?  they know nothing but how to play ball.  yet somehow they know best. 

if they wanted to keep my heart in the pro game, this work stoppage wouldn't have happened.  they did NOTHING for over a year and a half and i mean the players union did NOTHING to avert this crap from happening.  shameful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

call me a dummy but the work ethic of davis and doing the old time get dirty celts things was  really a huge thing for me the last three years in watching this team.  and now doc rivers had driven him into the ground. 

i watched the situation develop over time and doc rarely had anything good to say aobut davis.  or any of the other young players.  but conversely he never had anything bad to say about rondo and his helen keller free throw act that cost the team dearly in the playoffs each year. 

so after seeing davis roll over and die in last year's playoffs, it was obvious that he got tired of doc and completely tuned out in addition to the injury that he had.  so i guess he's gone.  who's the young hustle guy now on the team who's going to guard 4/5's and play underdog, plug the holes on defense and dive for loose balls like they were his own kid?  it's not jeffy green.  i don't think there's another cat in the league who does the combo of things that davis does at that cheap money.  at his best green is a finesse gazelle type of player and that's not a bad thing. 

once davis is gone we'll miss him.  and then we only four more years of doc screwing up talent management and selectively assassinating players in the press while others with massive holes in their games and heads are gently coddled and after that we can get a real coach and start over

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]call me a dummy but the work ethic of davis and doing the old time get dirty celts things was  really a huge thing for me the last three years in watching this team.  and now doc rivers had driven him into the ground.  i watched the situation develop over time and doc rarely had anything good to say aobut davis.  or any of the other young players.  but conversely he never had anything bad to say about rondo and his helen keller free throw act that cost the team dearly in the playoffs each year.  so after seeing davis roll over and die in last year's playoffs, it was obvious that he got tired of doc and completely tuned out in addition to the injury that he had.  so i guess he's gone.  who's the young hustle guy now on the team who's going to guard 4/5's and play underdog, plug the holes on defense and dive for loose balls like they were his own kid?  it's not jeffy green.  i don't think there's another cat in the league who does the combo of things that davis does at that cheap money.  at his best green is a finesse gazelle type of player and that's not a bad thing.  once davis is gone we'll miss him.  and then we only four more years of doc screwing up talent management and selectively assassinating players in the press while others with massive holes in their games and heads are gently coddled and after that we can get a real coach and start over
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's gone...........because no one else wants him.  You are way over-estimating Glen Davis' contributions to this team.  He is an undersized "4", who has limited range on his jumpshot (although he thinks he's an all-star).  To wit:
    For his career, he averages 7.6 PPG and 4.1 RPG in 21 mins.
    Do you think that is irreplacable?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say BOTH Jeff Green and JuJuan Johnson can get more than 4.1 rebounds in 21 mins.  Now, I hope he stays at cheap money to fill out the roster, but he is what he is - about a 3 million a year bench player who makes a lot of mistakes and can't rebound!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

pretty impressive, redruss. can you be half that persuasive in arguing for rondo and doc? okay, maybe just for doc?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]pretty impressive, redruss. can you be half that persuasive in arguing for rondo and doc? okay, maybe just for doc?
    Posted by BaileyPowe[/QUOTE]

I'm a Rondo guy, but I think it is only realistic to say that he is tradeable asset.  I mean, it might be Plan D......but if the right deal came along, one that gets them a young stud player, and an expiring contract, I could see them pulling the trigger.  That having been said, I hope to God he has worked on his "J" and FT shooting during the layoff.  He cannot be mentioned with Rose, DWill, Paul or Nash until he does so.

Doc is easy...........he gets a really bad rap on this board for not playing rookies:

Okay  - he hasn't any good ones to play.  Think he'd play Blake Griffin if he had him?  Bradley?  Giddens?  Walker?  PUH-LEEZE!!
    He HAS played the following "kids" - off the top of my head:
    Erden
    Banks
    Perkins
    Rondo
    Gomes
    Powe
    Davis
    Jefferson
    West

He WILL play young guys....if they are any good.  Here's hoping JJJ is a good one!  Doc is respected by the players and is very rarely out-coached.  Look at the 2008 Finals against phony Phil- and the way he took the 2009 team to the ECF without his best player.  He clearly out-coached SVG, as that series had no business going 7 games.  In 2010, I still have nightmares about that inbounds play....IF Rondo got that one, and not koME, WE WIN.  Forget the Perkins injury,  we had Game 7....IF Rondo stole that pass, it's a layup and we're up 15 - game over!!
    Every one is focusing on last year - and I ask what was he supposed to do?  Play Murphy and Pavlovic??  We got old - that's not on him......Heinsohn ran Cowens into the ground.....KC ran the Big 3 into the ground.......it happens!  We need to lay off Doc, and realize he's one of the best in the business, and hope that in and of itself can attract some free agents next year.

Okay, BP?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Red - 100% agree with you on Doc and good young players.  West, Rondo, Gomes, Jefferson, Perk, etc all played a lot within their first 3 years.   Doc had a goal to win a championship and in his competitveness, he overplayed the older guys at times, but "I ain't mad at him" as the young guys say.

Acie - what can I say but wow, man, you got a lot of hate in that post.   Ray had 4 years of college and Paul had 3.  They are both veterans who are WIDELY acknowledged about the fact that they know how to play ball (and at their age - that's a big part f how they get by - being smart about the game).   I ain't made a KG, either.  He gives it his all 1000% of the time and he's done it year after year after yer - good team or bad.  He's earned his money by drawing in the fans and putting Minnesota on the map + giving us a Championship.  

Its ok if you dislike pro ball and dislike the Big 3 in Boston.  But, for goodness sakes, pick some more logical reasons.   Say you hate Garnett's attitude.  Say you don't like older players.  Say Pierce got in trouble off the court.  Same something that's true and your opinion will be more credible.  

As for the Union.....can't blame the Union any more than the owners.  They are both to blame....billionaires trying to shake down the millionaires so the billionaires can make more money.  The millionaires took a $300M pay cut and the billionaires said it wasn't enough so they argued some more and the billionaires locked them out.  I don't feel sorry for either of them but I absolutely think they have to share the blame.

I'm assuming since you dislike the pro game, the Big 3 of Boston, and the players in general - you will not be watching games and posting much anymore, huh?

PS. I wouldn't call you a dummy about BBD.  I think you're spot on about his contribution, very astute observation.  But, he got outside his role as he began to shoot more and more and the shots were BAD shots....and he tooks shots away from better offensive players.  The previous year, he did it within his role.  This past year, he thought he was a big time scorer and he cost us games, especially at the end of the season/playoffs.  He got BADLY outplayed against Miami.  I loved the guy - I hope they get him back, but if so - I hope he comes with a renewed sense of his worth and his role.  I want the old BBD hustler, defensive player, opportunistic scorer, and generally - the guy who does the dirty work inside.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We Have A Season; Stern to Blame? : I don't think he's gone...........because no one else wants him.  You are way over-estimating Glen Davis' contributions to this team.  He is an undersized "4", who has limited range on his jumpshot (although he thinks he's an all-star).  To wit: For his career, he averages 7.6 PPG and 4.1 RPG in 21 mins. Do you think that is irreplacable?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say BOTH Jeff Green and JuJuan Johnson can get more than 4.1 rebounds in 21 mins.  Now, I hope he stays at cheap money to fill out the roster, but he is what he is - about a 3 million a year bench player who makes a lot of mistakes and can't rebound!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

That may be an accurate statement but it's an unfair one. BBD's career stats have little to do with the BBD of today.  Looking at his stats (which rarely tell the whole story anyway) during the past 2-3 years is much more telling.

BBD has drifted away from his best play and there may be many reasons why. It doesnt much matter why but what matters is he can be a very valuable player for the C's if  managed properly. Think of all the charges he took, all the battles for rebounds he made, the incredible clutch playoff games...and his mid range jumper was falling too.... then something happened..

Was it BBD getting a big head wanting to score more for a bigger payday? Some believe DOc ruined the kid by making him feel inferior to every starter while Baby was trying to be one of them. Lots of theories but the main point is BBD showed he can be a very valuable player and then something went wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Another POTUS gaffe???

Rondo went into a deep funk when POTUS made an offhand remark/gaffe that RR needed to learn to shoot... if Shaq's book is to be believed. 

New theory: Maybe POTUS made a comment that BBD needed to lose weight, causing a similar deterioration in his game too. 

Any WH transcripts of the meeting?

Will either play in the Obama Classic Benefit (fundraiser) Game on 12/12/11?

No guts... no glory. (Pun intended.)

Pud