WEEI: Ainge reflects on season, future-Pierce coming off the bench

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

WEEI: Ainge reflects on season, future-Pierce coming off the bench

Posted by Julian Benbow, Globe Staff
    Coaches and staff lingered around the Celtics' practice facility in Waltham today, moving on after being eliminated by the Miami Heat last night, evaluating an emotional season after falling short of their championship expectations. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge made his final weekly WEEI appearance of the season, touching on several different aspects of the season and possibilities for next season from the impact of injuries, to the likelihood of a starting lineup shift to his biggest regret -- and no, it wasn't the Kendrick Perkins trade.

Here are some highlights.
    On the future of the team:
    "We need to make changes for sure I don’t think it is but having said that that’s my job is to evaluate the reasons why we didn’t play the way we’re capable of playing ... We do have a team that next year come playoff time will be a year older and a team like Miami will be in their prime years.

On the Kendrick Perkins trade:
    "I know that there’s people out there that want to blame the Perkins trade for our lack of success this year, I’m OK with that. There’s a legitimate argument to be made. I don’t really buy into the screens being set and Rondo being in a bit of a funk."

The starting lineup could see some significant changes next season. If Jeff Green returns, Ainge said the 24-year-old's role will certainly be enhanced. Ainge said he intends to extend Green a qualifying offer before the July 30 deadline. He threw out the hypothetical possibility of Paul Pierce coming off the bench, but said the veterans will be willing to play different roles.

"Knowing father time never loses, I think their being able to carry a team day in and out might be over," Ainge said. "But their ability to be contributors to very good basketball teams is still there. we have to surround them with good players if we have any chance of winning a championship next year ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: WEEI: Ainge reflects on season, future-Pierce coming off the bench

In Response to WEEI: Ainge reflects on season, future-Pierce coming off the bench:
    [QUOTE]Posted by Julian Benbow, Globe Staff Coaches and staff lingered around the Celtics' practice facility in Waltham today, moving on after being eliminated by the Miami Heat last night, evaluating an emotional season after falling short of their championship expectations. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge made his final weekly WEEI appearance of the season, touching on several different aspects of the season and possibilities for next season from the impact of injuries, to the likelihood of a starting lineup shift to his biggest regret -- and no, it wasn't the Kendrick Perkins trade. Here are some highlights. On the future of the team: "We need to make changes for sure I don’t think it is but having said that that’s my job is to evaluate the reasons why we didn’t play the way we’re capable of playing ... We do have a team that next year come playoff time will be a year older and a team like Miami will be in their prime years. On the Kendrick Perkins trade: "I know that there’s people out there that want to blame the Perkins trade for our lack of success this year, I’m OK with that. There’s a legitimate argument to be made. I don’t really buy into the screens being set and Rondo being in a bit of a funk." The starting lineup could see some significant changes next season. If Jeff Green returns, Ainge said the 24-year-old's role will certainly be enhanced. Ainge said he intends to extend Green a qualifying offer before the July 30 deadline. He threw out the hypothetical possibility of Paul Pierce coming off the bench, but said the veterans will be willing to play different roles. "Knowing father time never loses, I think their being able to carry a team day in and out might be over," Ainge said. "But their ability to be contributors to very good basketball teams is still there. we have to surround them with good players if we have any chance of winning a championship next year ...
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

He also mentioned that his biggest regret was not resigning Tony Allen last season.  Something that many of us have been saying for a long time.  He definitely could have helped the current Celtics team.  Still not sure that we would have won the series against Miami.  At least if TA was still with the    
    Celtics he would be better than some of the current players. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Re: WEEI: Ainge reflects on season, future-Pierce coming off the bench

As big of a TA fan as I am I agree the biggest mistake was not resigning TA. Having said that, we didn't lose because of no Punkins or no TA or Green or no Shaq we lost because their top 3 guys out executed our top 3 guys when it counted down the stretch, it sucks but it's true. They played like a playoff savvy team on a mission like we were supposed to. All the chemistry and rah rah balogna wasn't a factor execution and staying to the game plan for 48 minutes was and we failed. We could've just as easily won in 5 but didn't execute well enough to earn it. It really hurts, I had no doubt in my mind that we were going to win it this year and I was wrong. I over estimated the resolve of our core players and they came up short. I don't do baseball or hockey and with the NFL up in the air it's going to be a long hard 5 months until next year