Westbrook controversy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Westbrook controversy

Westbrook sat out the 4th qtr last night when the Thunder beat the Mavs...

Lots of attention this morning from the media about his benching. That and the way Westbrook appeared to be angry sitting on the bench.

Westbrook has great skills and is an allstar but I got to hand it to Scotty Brooks for sticking with his bench.. They were getting the job done and this is the playoffs.. I like that Brooks stayed with the guys who were winning the game for OKC.  I wish Doc had a little of that in him instead of always coming back to the starters whether theyre playing well or not.... or whether the bench player is playing great or not.

Now OKCs bench has to have tremendous confidence in themselves,,,

As a side note, I watched as Westbrook was steaming on the bench, angry and yelling into the air about who knows what. He was very angry... sitting right next to him was Wilt Perkins... who delivered another great game with 4pts and 4 rebs... as Westbrook carried on all Perk could do was lean back and sneak a peak at the kid.  Thats the veteran, NBA championship leadership Perk brought to the situation. Would that have lasted without someone stepping up to him if Westbrook was on the Celtic bench?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Westbrook controversy

In Response to Westbrook controversy:
    [QUOTE]Westbrook sat out the 4th qtr last night when the Thunder beat the Mavs... Lots of attention this morning from the media about his benching. That and the way Westbrook appeared to be angry sitting on the bench. Westbrook has great skills and is an allstar but I got to hand it to Scotty Brooks for sticking with his bench.. They were getting the job done and this is the playoffs.. I like that Brooks stayed with the guys who were winning the game for OKC.  I wish Doc had a little of that in him instead of always coming back to the starters whether theyre playing well or not.... or whether the bench player is playing great or not. Now OKCs bench has to have tremendous confidence in themselves,,, As a side note, I watched as Westbrook was steaming on the bench, angry and yelling into the air about who knows what. He was very angry... sitting right next to him was Wilt Perkins... who delivered another great game with 4pts and 4 rebs... as Westbrook carried on all Perk could do was lean back and sneak a peak at the kid.  Thats the veteran, NBA championship leadership Perk brought to the situation. Would that have lasted without someone stepping up to him if Westbrook was on the Celtic bench?
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Very impressive coaching.

It took a whole lot of courage for Brooks to stick with the bench.

I agree.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Karl, its funny there is no Dud here this morning, but he has sent his more subtle alter ego to the board today.  I bet you wont see Dud at all today, after being here all week with this usual rondo bashing and westbrook worship....lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

for those of you who are absolute about doc trading rondo for him, do you think it would be different here esp when pp, kg and ray start whining about their touches? why trade one headache in rondo for a bigger headache? the devil u know is always better than the unknown clear devil! i would consider trading rondo at this point for CHRIS PAUL! see what happens next year. we may like shoot-first point guards but that could be an isssue with that locker room. a chris paul would gladly shoot less if he knew others could put the ball in the hoop. westy just wants his regardless even when he's cold. they dont win last night if not benched. its durant's team. you will never see him benched like that.. EVER! i bet right about now durant is praying he had a rondo. different strkes for different folks,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Westbrook controversy:
    [QUOTE]for those of you who are absolute about doc trading rondo for him, do you think it would be different here esp when pp, kg and ray start whining about their touches? why trade one headache in rondo for a bigger headache? the devil u know is always better than the unknown clear devil! i would consider trading rondo at this point for CHRIS PAUL! see what happens next year. we may like shoot-first point guards but that could be an isssue with that locker room. a chris paul would gladly shoot less if he knew others could put the ball in the hoop. westy just wants his regardless even when he's cold. they dont win last night if not benched. its durant's team. you will never see him benched like that.. EVER! i bet right about now durant is praying he had a rondo. different strkes for different folks,
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

And I'm praying that Durant's prayers are answered. He might fit better in OKC.

Pud

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Karl, its funny there is no Dud here this morning, but he has sent his more subtle alter ego to the board today.  I bet you wont see Dud at all today, after being here all week with this usual rondo bashing and westbrook worship....lol
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Rondo had a p oo p oo in his diaper for the last 30 games of the season because Wilt got traded and effectively cost the Cs the number 1 seed.  Westbrook is 3 years younger and has some growing up to do, as does our very own rollerskating headcase.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Westbrook controversy : And I'm praying that Durant's prayers are answered. He might fit better in OKC. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Let's go way out on a limb and suggest that OKC has two point guards better than Rondo......  not much of a stretch if you ask me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

i don't want Westbrook. he is a great player and can hit shots, but it seems in close situations he makes dumb plays or turns over the ball a lot. tries to do it all himself. now i know a couple Celtics that i can say the same thing about. no controversy here, media is making it out to be something more then it is. He should be happy with the win. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]i don't want Westbrook. he is a great player and can hit shots, but it seems in close situations he makes dumb plays or turns over the ball a lot. tries to do it all himself. now i know a couple Celtics that i can say the same thing about. no controversy here, media is making it out to be something more then it is. He should be happy with the win. At the end of the day that is all that matters.
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth[/QUOTE]

Rondo averaged almost 4 turnovers per game in the playoffs, Westbrook is at about 4 and a half..........bad decisions and dumb plays seem to only apply to players not wearing green......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AprQPXFNEMml.DFeCDV3Xq6kvLYF?slug=jy-ludden_thunder_beat_mavericks_game2_westbrook_sits_052011

good article prasing Brooks and comparing his coaching style favorably to Popovich. Clearly, makes Doc (who I sometimes chide as Doc Robot) look bad in comparison; specifically as others have pointed out, inflexible in sticking with his bench when they are rolling and perhaps afraid to do so.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbrann. Show mbrann's posts

Good for Brooks that he had the stones to sit Westbrook for a while. The kid will get the message and then he'll be back on the floor in crunch time. I would not expect this to flare up into a big player-coach confrontation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]for those of you who are absolute about doc trading rondo for him, do you think it would be different here esp when pp, kg and ray start whining about their touches? why trade one headache in rondo for a bigger headache? the devil u know is always better than the unknown clear devil! i would consider trading rondo at this point for CHRIS PAUL! see what happens next year. we may like shoot-first point guards but that could be an isssue with that locker room. a chris paul would gladly shoot less if he knew others could put the ball in the hoop. westy just wants his regardless even when he's cold. they dont win last night if not benched. its durant's team. you will never see him benched like that.. EVER! i bet right about now durant is praying he had a rondo. different strkes for different folks,
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Westbrook.  Not sure what happens to him, but he becomes very selfish and isn't always a team first player.  He was very angry and I don't ever remember seeing someone sitting on the bench with so much anger.   He is a good offensive player, but as a point guard needs to pass the ball more often.  It is interesting that you mention Chris Paul.  I actually heard someone on comcast, (Celtics station 52), mention the possibility of trading Rondo and Green for Chris Paul.  I don't usually consider unrealistic trade possibilities, but if an announcer on television mentioned this, I suppose it is possible. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

I100% Agree, I am a C's fan living in Toronto
    Doc would have lost that game, by bringing back the starters. n Response to Westbrook controversy:
    [QUOTE]Westbrook sat out the 4th qtr last night when the Thunder beat the Mavs... Lots of attention this morning from the media about his benching. That and the way Westbrook appeared to be angry sitting on the bench. Westbrook has great skills and is an allstar but I got to hand it to Scotty Brooks for sticking with his bench.. They were getting the job done and this is the playoffs.. I like that Brooks stayed with the guys who were winning the game for OKC.  I wish Doc had a little of that in him instead of always coming back to the starters whether theyre playing well or not.... or whether the bench player is playing great or not. Now OKCs bench has to have tremendous confidence in themselves,,, As a side note, I watched as Westbrook was steaming on the bench, angry and yelling into the air about who knows what. He was very angry... sitting right next to him was Wilt Perkins... who delivered another great game with 4pts and 4 rebs... as Westbrook carried on all Perk could do was lean back and sneak a peak at the kid.  Thats the veteran, NBA championship leadership Perk brought to the situation. Would that have lasted without someone stepping up to him if Westbrook was on the Celtic bench?
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Funny, but when I watched the game and saw that Brooks was sticking with his hot bench all I could think about was back in 2007-08 when the Celt's had a strong bench (Posey, TA, House, PJ, etc) that not only challenged the starters in practice but often extended leads in games. Not only that, but I remember a few games that year when the starters came out flat and Doc put in the bench to bring some energy to the game.

Knowing that the big 3 were a year older, Doc wanted that again this past year but TA left and then DA leaned on reclamation projects, so I think the challenge is really on Danny to provide that bench support again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Funny, but when I watched the game and saw that Brooks was sticking with his hot bench all I could think about was back in 2007-08 when the Celt's had a strong bench (Posey, TA, House, PJ, etc) that not only challenged the starters in practice but often extended leads in games. Not only that, but I remember a few games that year when the starters came out flat and Doc put in the bench to bring some energy to the game. Knowing that the big 3 were a year older, Doc wanted that again this past year but TA left and then DA leaned on reclamation projects, so I think the challenge is really on Danny to provide that bench support again.
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

I agree that the Celtics need to improve their bench, but similar to last year, the Celtics don't have much money to spend.   With the new CBA and possibility of the lower salary cap, it is going to be even more difficult for the Celtics to sign any impact players.  In the future, you will have elite NBA players signing for less money and the MLE and vets minimum may be even lower.  At least everything that I have read and heard about the new CBA claims that teams are losing a lot of money and the only way to resolve this is by lowering salaries.  This will happen soon and may take some time to resolve the new CBA.  The NFL still hasn't settled their differences and a similar scenario may exist in the NBA. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Isn't that exactly what Doc did in Game 5 of the Finals last year???