What Brad Stevens should do with this squad..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

What Brad Stevens should do with this squad..

First I'm 100% sure that we're not tanking..Brad Stevens isn't that kind of guy. He will try to push his players to their limits. We still have a very competitive roster and tanking doesn't deliver a no. 1 pick to your door and we already know what happened back in '97. Our top offensive player will be Jeff Green followed by our 1st round pick Olynyk. Green ppg will be around 20-25 a night. Olynyk should be a key contributor with averages of 15ppg and 6.6 rpg. Then comes our new captain Mr. Rondo with his best year as a pro 17ppg and 10.1 apg. With those three guys we're going to compete every night for sure. Then we add the pieces of Bradley, Wallace, Humphries, Farinari, Bass, Sullinger, Brooks, Lee and Pressey. The big question will be who is going to play more around Olynyk and Green? I think we should take it easy with Sullinger who is coming from back surgery and not rush him too fast to be the starter. For me should be Humphries because we need to expose him and make him shine so maybe somebody get interested by the trade deadline. If we can't trade him by that time then Sullinger should get his chance. Another guy who I'm going to watch very closely is MarShon Brooks. I really like the guy and I was very mad when Danny traded him for the skinny Johnson 2 years ago. If Bradley doesn't deliver from the arc then Brooks is my guy to start at shooting guard despite Bradley's defensive asset. Another thing Stevens should try is playing small ball against teams like Miami and New York if they decide to play Lebron and Carmelo as PF. That's when Gerald Wallace comes to my attention claiming the PF spot. Watch out Vitor Farinari he could be the steal of the year. GO CELTICS!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: What Brad Stevens should do with this squad..

People on here, like Fierce34, who think the Celtic will purposely "tank" don't have a clue about sports and don't have any credibility.

Tanking means losing on purpose and no respectable coach and no player with any self-respect lose on purpose.

That said, this is a two year rebuild.  The current roster will not be competitive this year, and I suspect that Stevens will test and evaluate the talent to determine which players are keepers moving into next year.  The only known comodities are really Green and Bass.  Not sure what happened to Lee last year, but I think he will emerge as the most improved player and a keeper. 

Rondo is coming off a serious injury, Sully is coming off serious surgery, Bradley returned from a lengthly injury recovery and never got his groove back, Oly and Fav are both untested and unknowns at this point.  Brooks needs to prove that he can play defense or he won't get much playing time under Stevens.  We don't know how the Nets additions will fit in. 

We have lots of changes coming up both at the trade deadline and before the next season, adding  two more first rounders, key FAs, and will shed at least 5-6 players from the current roster.  

So between the new system, new personnel, return from injuries, a likely massive change in roster at the mid season, the Celtics don't, won't and wouldn't have to tank...  we will be morphing and bad enough naturally to be included in the lottery.

Assuming Bradley regains his shooting touch, Green consistently performs and if Sully and Oly work out like we hope, 2014-2014 will be a very competitive and fun team to watch.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

DO NOT sign another center, keep Rondo out until February and give him plenty of time to heal, and just roll the ball out each game and let the youngest guys play, ohhhhh, say 40 minutes a game...that will get us into the lottery...

YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

When Ainge traded Pierce and KG, the Celts already tanked.

Get it?

The Lakers for example, they're not quitting. They signed Kaman and Nick Young when everybody here knows the Lakers will not be winning a championship next season.

Pierce is an expiring contract.

KG has 1 more year left after this season.

But why did Ainge trade both KG and Pierce instead of just adding pieces to make the Celts better for next season?

KG and Pierce are still good players.

If the Celts kept Pierce and KG, the Celts will still be a playoff team this coming season.

But why did Ainge blow it up?

Is it just a coincidence that Ainge is stockpiling 1st round picks?

Again, the moment Ainge traded the Celts' 2 best players, KG and Pierce, the Celts already tanked! 

Let me shorten the point. Both Fierce & ElDunker are right:

Tanking absolutely is not and cannot be something implemented by your players and coaching staff. That breeds a culture of losing, and that is antithetical to what a team like the Celtics are trying to accomplish.

"Tanking" as currently instituted by the Celtics is a consequence of the general manager not making the necessary additions to build a contending team.

In the case of the Celtics, Steven will try to win. Green, Rondo, Lee, Bradley, Sully ... will try to win. Every. Single. Game. Danny Ainge will tell the press, "the Celtics do not tank" and he will be right. However, Danny & management did not do everything within their power to build an "on-paper" competitive team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

People on here, like Fierce34, who think the Celtic will purposely "tank" don't have a clue about sports and don't have any credibility.

Tanking means losing on purpose and no respectable coach and no player with any self-respect lose on purpose.

That said, this is a two year rebuild.  The current roster will not be competitive this year, and I suspect that Stevens will test and evaluate the talent to determine which players are keepers moving into next year.  The only known comodities are really Green and Bass.  Not sure what happened to Lee last year, but I think he will emerge as the most improved player and a keeper. 

Rondo is coming off a serious injury, Sully is coming off serious surgery, Bradley returned from a lengthly injury recovery and never got his groove back, Oly and Fav are both untested and unknowns at this point.  Brooks needs to prove that he can play defense or he won't get much playing time under Stevens.  We don't know how the Nets additions will fit in. 

We have lots of changes coming up both at the trade deadline and before the next season, adding  two more first rounders, key FAs, and will shed at least 5-6 players from the current roster.  

So between the new system, new personnel, return from injuries, a likely massive change in roster at the mid season, the Celtics don't, won't and wouldn't have to tank...  we will be morphing and bad enough naturally to be included in the lottery.

Assuming Bradley regains his shooting touch, Green consistently performs and if Sully and Oly work out like we hope, 2014-2014 will be a very competitive and fun team to watch.

Eldunker,

Good points. The only thing I'd correct is it's, IMO, 3-4 years rebuild. This season will be a "flux" year where DA and Stevens will be finding the team's core, who's who. The next 2 years they will spend on adding role players, trying to add star FAs and draft picks, creating chemistry. After that they go to fight for the rings.

As for tanking, I don't think they'll do it. They might not even have to do it. They may end up at the bottom due to long recovery of RR and JS and constant changes in the roster.

BTW, what did you mean by "2014-2014" - '13-'14 or '14-'15?

AK

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Personally, I want to see Bradley and Brooks go hard at each other in practice. One has a ton of offensive skill, the other a ton of defensive skill. I also think Bradley will come back new & improved after finally having a full healthy offseason to work on his game.

As for Stevens, I think he should have flexible line-ups, based on mismatches. I want to see us out-defend the better offensive teams out there, and out score the better defensive teams. What I mean is that I want to see a Rondo/Bradley lockdown defensive backcourt when going against teams like Golden State that depend heavily on their guards for offense. Conversely, when we go against teams like Indianna who rely more on their front-court for offensive production, I want to see Brooks start with Rondo and I want see them be the top scorers that night.

Thanks to the Culture of Ticket, I think we have a lot of two way players on this team. I'd say Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass and Jeff Green and certainly two way players. Brandon locked down Melo as good as anyone during the playoffs, and Jeff has matched up pretty well against Lebron in the past. I want to see that continue. I think Courtney Lee will have a lot more freedom to get back to what he does well and I expect a bounce back year.

I'm also not so down on Jordan Crawford. Doc was a horrible coach to him last year. "Just score" is not a coaching technique. I think Jordan is a competitor and will compete hard with Marshon for that 6th man role. May the better player win!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to franquazi's comment:

well it's good to be a fan.

First I'm 100% sure that we're not tanking..Brad Stevens isn't that kind of guy.

Stevens has little or no say in the players that he will coach ,this year anyway.so the "tanking" may come from above.

He will try to push his players to their limits. We still have a very competitive roster and tanking doesn't deliver a no. 1 pick to your door and we already know what happened back in '97.

Agreed.

Our top offensive player will be Jeff Green followed by our 1st round pick Olynyk. Green ppg will be around 20-25 a night.

ohhhh...really? If he averaged 20 pt/game I will be amazed...I would guess 15-18.

Olynyk should be a key contributor with averages of 15ppg and 6.6 rpg.

Might happen, we'll know more after some pre-season games

Then comes our new captain Mr. Rondo with his best year as a pro 17ppg and 10.1 apg.

I can see this too, after he's fully healthy that is, so what maybe over 60 games tops?

With those three guys we're going to compete every night for sure.

I'm not sure about that even WITH your inflated numbers for Green

Then we add the pieces of Bradley, Wallace, Humphries, Farinari, Bass, Sullinger, Brooks, Lee and Pressey.

Bass, Bradley, Lee, Wallace and Humphries have all started with varying degrees of success in the NBA before. SO with Green, Rondo and KO thats eight players deep..not bad.

Sullinger and Brooks have shown promise as rookies, but both have issues coming into this season.

Fav, Melo and Pressey have done NOTHING in the NBA to date and frankly may NEVER be anything more than scrubs. but thats OK, you have to have a couple scrubs on your team.

The big question will be who is going to play more around Olynyk and Green? I think we should take it easy with Sullinger who is coming from back surgery and not rush him too fast to be the starter.

That would probably be a good idea , depending on what the Dr's say. It MAY be that Rondo is actually the one that we need to go slow with, knee and all.

For me should be Humphries because we need to expose him and make him shine so maybe somebody get interested by the trade deadline.

mr Kardashian is only an expriing contract. No one will trade for him because they think he's the final piece (or ANY piece) of the puzzle.

If we can't trade him by that time then Sullinger should get his chance. Another guy who I'm going to watch very closely is MarShon Brooks. I really like the guy and I was very mad when Danny traded him for the skinny Johnson 2 years ago.

I'm sure Ainge is mad at himself too, about that deal!

If Bradley doesn't deliver from the arc then Brooks is my guy to start at shooting guard despite Bradley's defensive asset.

This one should be interesting to watch. though I think you are uner-valuing Lee.

Another thing Stevens should try is playing small ball against teams like Miami and New York if they decide to play Lebron and Carmelo as PF. That's when Gerald Wallace comes to my attention claiming the PF spot.

I agree that Wallace will spend some time at PF this year, he has played some there in the past and is a better fit than Green at PF to me.

Watch out Vitor Farinari he could be the steal of the year.

Boy...I doubt it, name me the last time a player has played 6 years at a pro level and then came out of nowhere to be a solid NBA player? Hope you're right on this one, as we need a big body center bad.

GO CELTICS!!

Agreed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

El Dunker and Fierce are talking about a different Definition of tanking.

One is what the Spurs did in the year before they drafted Duncan. They kept David Robinson out with an injury for much longer than needed to get a better pick.

The other Version is losing on purpose by the Coach or the Players.

@El Dunker, isn't that what the Cs did under Coach Carr? I read an interview when he personally confirmed that.This make this Quote of you wrong, cause this Team has done it before: "People on here, like Fierce34, who think the Celtic will purposely "tank" don't have a clue about sports and don't have any credibility.Tanking means losing on purpose and no respectable coach and no player with any self-respect lose on purpose."

My personal opinion: The Team doesn't Need to lose on purpose. We are BAD, really bad, we will lose anyway.

We have a rookie Coach, our best Player is injured and has no backup besides an undrafted rookie. Green was never more than a 3rd Option. We have almost no shooting. We have no Center but a lost of mediocre powerforwards and Shooting guards. People expect to much from our young core. Even James or Durant needed time to develop before they led their team to wins. But KO, Pressey, Sully and KO will make us a winning Team immediately? I doubt it.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

When Ainge traded Pierce and KG, the Celts already tanked.

Get it?

The Lakers for example, they're not quitting. They signed Kaman and Nick Young when everybody here knows the Lakers will not be winning a championship next season.

Pierce is an expiring contract.

KG has 1 more year left after this season.

But why did Ainge trade both KG and Pierce instead of just adding pieces to make the Celts better for next season?

KG and Pierce are still good players.

If the Celts kept Pierce and KG, the Celts will still be a playoff team this coming season.

But why did Ainge blow it up?

Is it just a coincidence that Ainge is stockpiling 1st round picks?

Again, the moment Ainge traded the Celts' 2 best players, KG and Pierce, the Celts already tanked! 

Fierce, hope you are not implying that we would have been conference contenders this coming season had we signed Kaman & Young.

Now, with Rondo out last season and our poor rebounding record, yup, Young & Kaman along with PP & KG, might have helped us get by the Knicks but the Heat...don't think so.

But I will agree that Kaman & Young will help the Lakers with their aging pros, Kobe, Gasol & Nash, more that they would have helped us but conference contenders, don't think so or, at least, I hope not.

We should be young, exciting, full of energy yet due to lack of experience make many mistakes. However, the Golden State Warriors' starting 5 averaged 23 years and along with an experienced center, Bogot, and an injured 2nd leading scorer & rebounder, David Lee, gave the Spurs fits. We could field a starting 5 with an average age under 23 and with a year or two playing together with 1-2 experienced proven pros, especially a good rebounding center & a 3pt shooter, we could duplicate the Warriors's performance so I suggest we all be positive. And as  most of our players & future draft choices will be 1-2 years out of college, I believe our choice of a young coach was a good one too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

gee, this post seems familiar...that seems to happen occasionally

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Of course Brad Stevens and the players will not try to intentionally lose games.

But did Ainge try to make the Celtics a competitive team this coming season?

Answer: No!

That means the tanking started the moment Ainge traded KG and Pierce.

Answer to Question = NO

Answer to Statement = WRONG

The rebuilding started (not tanking) with the last and possibly the best offer the C's got for their veterans that were supposed to be traded 1-2 years ago when the proverbial window of opportunity was closing. Ainge got lucky this far past the ALLEN-KG-PIERCE era to be able to get the pieces he did to accelerate the rebuilding process. So, NO THE TANKING DID NOT BEGIN ... Enjoy the rebuild and stop your whining ... Jeesh!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Fierce stop your whinning you little sissy girlieman. The  Celtics are clearly rebuilding, not tanking. Admit you're wrong again.

Honestely Karllost, what is wrong with you? Why don't you try to contribute sth in this forum just for once? And no, name calling is not contributing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

In response to kdp59's comment

First I'm 100% sure that we're not tanking..Brad Stevens isn't that kind of guy.

Stevens has little or no say in the players that he will coach ,this year anyway.so the "tanking" may come from above.

He will try to push his players to their limits. We still have a very competitive roster and tanking doesn't deliver a no. 1 pick to your door and we already know what happened back in '97.

Agreed.

Our top offensive player will be Jeff Green followed by our 1st round pick Olynyk. Green ppg will be around 20-25 a night.

ohhhh...really? If he averaged 20 pt/game I will be amazed...I would guess 15-18.

Olynyk should be a key contributor with averages of 15ppg and 6.6 rpg.

Might happen, we'll know more after some pre-season games

Then comes our new captain Mr. Rondo with his best year as a pro 17ppg and 10.1 apg.

I can see this too, after he's fully healthy that is, so what maybe over 60 games tops?

With those three guys we're going to compete every night for sure.

I'm not sure about that even WITH your inflated numbers for Green

Then we add the pieces of Bradley, Wallace, Humphries, Farinari, Bass, Sullinger, Brooks, Lee and Pressey.

Bass, Bradley, Lee, Wallace and Humphries have all started with varying degrees of success in the NBA before. SO with Green, Rondo and KO thats eight players deep..not bad.

Sullinger and Brooks have shown promise as rookies, but both have issues coming into this season.

Fav, Melo and Pressey have done NOTHING in the NBA to date and frankly may NEVER be anything more than scrubs. but thats OK, you have to have a couple scrubs on your team.

The big question will be who is going to play more around Olynyk and Green? I think we should take it easy with Sullinger who is coming from back surgery and not rush him too fast to be the starter.

That would probably be a good idea , depending on what the Dr's say. It MAY be that Rondo is actually the one that we need to go slow with, knee and all.

For me should be Humphries because we need to expose him and make him shine so maybe somebody get interested by the trade deadline.

mr Kardashian is only an expriing contract. No one will trade for him because they think he's the final piece (or ANY piece) of the puzzle.

If we can't trade him by that time then Sullinger should get his chance. Another guy who I'm going to watch very closely is MarShon Brooks. I really like the guy and I was very mad when Danny traded him for the skinny Johnson 2 years ago.

I'm sure Ainge is mad at himself too, about that deal!

If Bradley doesn't deliver from the arc then Brooks is my guy to start at shooting guard despite Bradley's defensive asset.

This one should be interesting to watch. though I think you are uner-valuing Lee.

Another thing Stevens should try is playing small ball against teams like Miami and New York if they decide to play Lebron and Carmelo as PF. That's when Gerald Wallace comes to my attention claiming the PF spot.

I agree that Wallace will spend some time at PF this year, he has played some there in the past and is a better fit than Green at PF to me.

Watch out Vitor Farinari he could be the steal of the year.

Boy...I doubt it, name me the last time a player has played 6 years at a pro level and then came out of nowhere to be a solid NBA player? Hope you're right on this one, as we need a big body center bad.

GO CELTICS!!

Agreed.

"Stevens has little or no say in the players that he will coach ,this year anyway.so the "tanking" may come from above." kdp59

Stevens knows the situation very well and the situation isn't tanking. Believe me he should talked this a lot face to face with Danny before accepting the job. Is no brainer!! When you rebuild the first thing that you have in mind as a GM is player's development and that's not a waste of time and also that was the main reason why Danny looked at a very succesfull college coach who took a small program to the top of the NCAA in less than 5 years of assuming the job. Also you want me to mention a few guys who came to the NBA after spending his first seasons overseas and did well..Ok take a sit.

Toni Kukoc, Dino Radja, Drazen Petrovic, Arvidas Sabonis, Pau Gasol, Mark Gasol, Ricky Rubio, Nené, Tiago Splitter, Anderson Varejao, Pablo Prigioni, Manu Ginobili, Luis Scola, Fabricio Oberto, Leandro Barbosa, Hedo Turkoglu, Andrei Kirilenko, Detlef Shrempf, Dirk Nowistki. They all played on their respectives national teams in FIBA competition and overseas clubs before joining the NBA. Remember on those leagues they sign you when you are 15 years old.

I been here for a while.. franquazi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Ainge used some of the MLE for a Center that didn't even average in double figures in scoring in the Euro league.

Then Ainge signs an undrafted PG to be the backup PG this coming season.

That's called tanking in the summer!

HAHAHA

That's called acquiring undervalued assets that may be used later to upgrade the roster. Every rebuild starts with assets and Danny's a master at horsetrading ... let Danny be Danny and enjoy it.

Plenty here have complained that we don't do the due diligence for added depth that Orlando & San Antonio do when it comes to foreign players. So Danny finally starts with signing a few scrubs from Asia (White, TWill & Randolph) and now digs in deeper with Faverani (a S.A. interest as well) and people here criticize his doing so ... W?T?F????

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to sinus007's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

[QUOTE]

Eldunker,

Good points. The only thing I'd correct is it's, IMO, 3-4 years rebuild. This season will be a "flux" year where DA and Stevens will be finding the team's core, who's who. The next 2 years they will spend on adding role players, trying to add star FAs and draft picks, creating chemistry. After that they go to fight for the rings.

As for tanking, I don't think they'll do it. They might not even have to do it. They may end up at the bottom due to long recovery of RR and JS and constant changes in the roster.

BTW, what did you mean by "2014-2014" - '13-'14 or '14-'15?

AK

[/QUOTE]

2014-2015.  Will be a competitive and fun team to watch.  2015-2016 we could be at the top of the east again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Personally, I want to see Bradley and Brooks go hard at each other in practice. One has a ton of offensive skill, the other a ton of defensive skill. I also think Bradley will come back new & improved after finally having a full healthy offseason to work on his game.

As for Stevens, I think he should have flexible line-ups, based on mismatches. I want to see us out-defend the better offensive teams out there, and out score the better defensive teams. What I mean is that I want to see a Rondo/Bradley lockdown defensive backcourt when going against teams like Golden State that depend heavily on their guards for offense. Conversely, when we go against teams like Indianna who rely more on their front-court for offensive production, I want to see Brooks start with Rondo and I want see them be the top scorers that night.

Thanks to the Culture of Ticket, I think we have a lot of two way players on this team. I'd say Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass and Jeff Green and certainly two way players. Brandon locked down Melo as good as anyone during the playoffs, and Jeff has matched up pretty well against Lebron in the past. I want to see that continue. I think Courtney Lee will have a lot more freedom to get back to what he does well and I expect a bounce back year.

I'm also not so down on Jordan Crawford. Doc was a horrible coach to him last year. "Just score" is not a coaching technique. I think Jordan is a competitor and will compete hard with Marshon for that 6th man role. May the better player win!

Good points R9R.

But I expect the Celtics to be offensively very weak.  I think the strength of the Celtics will be defense.  They will come to play hard every night.  That will be both good and bad for Brooks.  Bad because his weakness will be dramatically exposed. Good because he is one of the few scorers on the team.  Ultimately I think he is a role player... an Eddie House Jr.. 

Crawford is a wild card. I agree that he never got a fair shake with Doc. He does have offense but I'm not sure he has a basketball brain.

Bradley should be our starting SG until he proves that he can't score.  I think Lee is second off the bench, then Crawford, then Brooks.  Musical chairs until someone owns it (until the draft).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Of course Brad Stevens and the players will not try to intentionally lose games.

But did Ainge try to make the Celtics a competitive team this coming season?

Answer: No!

That means the tanking started the moment Ainge traded KG and Pierce.

You either can't comprehend or admit your wrong. Probably both.  Trading Pierce and Garnett was a the start of the rebuild.  We lost in the first round last year.  They are a year older and Rondo is injured.  Only an idiot would ride that out without getting anything in return.  The trade expicited the rebuild by 2 years.

Now the reason that Ainge didn't take additional measures (so far) to improve the team (if you don't count the draft picks, Brooks and Hump and Wallace) is he COULD NOT BUILD A COMPETITIVE TEAM.  We had no trade bait except Rondo who was injured, we had no cap space to sign quality FA and Danny isn't about to trade his first rounders in a multi-year rebuild effort.  There is no reason to work on the bench when you don't even have your starting positions in place.  Given the assets he has, Danny has no choice but to rebuild the team over two or three years.    Its stupid to think he would slightly improve the team this year only to hurt the nteam next year and extend the rebuild time.