What is happening to the NBA?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

What is happening to the NBA?

What is going on with this league? And I'm not even talking about the dire officiating issue that has turned the league into a joke.

This league has been getting progressively softer since the 80s. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lebron James is the perfect example of how much the NBA has changed. The 5 step layups/dunks through the paint, that he lives on? In the 80s he would pull that garbage and either get called for a travel or knocked on his butt before he even got the chance to lay it in. And there would be no call. Unlike now, where you don't even have to touch him to get whistled. All he has to do is miss a layup.

The NBA culture is conditioning players to be mentally soft. David Stern has essentially legislated toughness out of the game. Guys like Paul Pierce, Steve Nash and even Kobe Bryant are dinosaurs. They are a dying breed. Guys that just want to win. Guys that s uck it up when the going gets tough instead of running away and hiding.

In so many ways Lebron is the poster child of the new NBA. Everybody wants to make excuses for LeBron. We want to pretend that the Cavs weren't good enough. That he didn't have enough help. But the fact of the matter is that it was Lebron that wasn't good enough. He didn't have the mental toughness to take that team on his back and win a title the way Jordan, Bird, Pierce or Kobe would have. So he quit, hoping to ride someone else's coattails to a championship.

The latest player to punk out is Chris Paul- a supremely talented point guard. He can pass, shoot run the break and flat out score. He has the total package. The only hole in his game is unfotunately the most important part: Heart, mental toughness. When the going gets tough, Chris Paul gives up. That's the kind of guy he is. The problem is, there are a lot of Chris Pauls in the league now.

Whatever happened to sticking it out? Stepping up, growing a pair and being a man. Instead of running away as soon as it becomes hard? Pathetic.

Now he is going to play next season with a bunch of guys he called out. By demanding a trade, he basically said none of his teammates are good enough to play with him. If you were a Hornets player would you want to play with this guy next year? I wouldn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: What is happening to the NBA?

Bravo! Great post, the league is like most things for the youth these days...easy, enablng, fake, cosmetic and no substance. The only thing that will change this is the new CBA. It's not the Big 3 that is the problem but it's the fact that guys are crying to be on good teams and not even trying to become true champions but instead want things easy AND want the millions. Spoiled youth!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Right on thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

If I hadn't basically fallen in love with this Celtics team over the last 3 months, I don't even think I would be watching the NBA at all next year....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

All the talk about "super teams" will really put an interesting twist on the CBA negotiations.  Obviously the small market owners will do anything they can to prevent such situations from occurring. 

Regarding the attitude of the star players; it's tough with them coming out of HS now or with only 1 or 2 years of college.  They are already treated as GODS when they are still just kids.  This is the stage where you find out what life is all about.  But they are just getting everything handed to them.  It's like givin a 3 year old everything they want, and never teaching them to share.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

league is soft, doesn't allow men to play

refs are a joke who engineered LA's 4th quarter comeback in a shameless and sad fashion

collusion among star players to lie, quit in the playoffs, and slap fan bases in the face just to try and have an easy trip to a ring? Yuck

The league is terrible and though I will root likec razy for the celts next year and watch most of the games, it makes me sick to see what it has become

LrBron should be in Cleveland with Amare, Wade should be with Beasley and Boozer in Miami, Bosh should have done a sign and trade to get to his hometown Rockets who could have given Toronto some real players in return, and 'the decsion' should never have happened

and of course the Celts should have raised the banner that the refs robbed them of over 12 of the worse officiated minutes i have ever seen

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The NBA is not at watchable as it used to be, and the players aren't as compelling.  Hate to sound like old guy (30's),  but lack of fundamentals, dunks versus ball movement, me first attitudes, full body art (not trying to say it's all bad, but is there an NBA player without a tattoo anymore?), and the capstone, a prime time act of disrespect (LeBron's "decision") is really turning me off to the NBA.  

This league's future hopefully lies with guys like Durant, who seems to be a throwback player.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Talk about spoiled youth wanting things easy and the millions that go with it, check out this ESPN article on Rondo trying out for the USA team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USA-Rondo-100722

Particularly interesting is the comment by Rondo as to why he is interested in participating in the Team USA.

"I think it's good branding for myself, globally and internationally, and I'm having a lot of fun with these guys. A lot of the guys are pretty young."

Here is a kid with worlds of talent whose game remains fundamentally flawed after 4 full years in the league.... and instead of staying at home and working on improving his God awful jumper and FTs.... he is off with Team USA instead... because it is good for his brand. Marketing no less!

Did I read that correctly? How utterly self-centered, immature and arrogant!

(I hope he doesn't make the team!)

Words simply fail me at this point... but I can think of a whole lot of other ways to improve your brand, Rondo.

How about learning to shoot FTs for goodness sake! How about a decent jumper! How about getting serious about rounding out your game instead of showing off with Team USA!

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Ask LA, Miami, NY, Portland, Chicago, Orlando, OKC, etc. and they'll tell you the NBA is "fan-tastic".

I hate the Lakers, but constantly blathering about the refs in that series is the prattle of bitter losers. Watching the end of Game 7, left no doubt who the better team was, and it wasn't the Celtics. Like SB42, it was bitter, jagged pill to swallow, but the better team won.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

Some fans just can't seem to take a loss and move on, take defeat with class.  Instead, incessantly crying about the NBA, it's ref, the Commish, and now the "softies".  Pathetic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

The NBA has no doubt changed.  In the 80's, it was a game that consisted of players that were competitive, referees that were competent, and administration that was in pursuit of a product that was successful by the standards of the fans.  Basketball was about who was the best at playing the game.  It was about who wanted to win.  It was about competition.  If you were the greatest team, it was black and white.  It was certain.

Today, basketball has become 3 things:

1) A business as opposed to a sport:  Owners are more worried about how much they spend as opposed to how many titles they want to bring to their repective city.  These owners are more concerned with one player coming in and making them money on ticket sales and endorsements as opposed to compiling a team that will give them the best chance at a title. 

2) A sport that has too many teams to make every game count:  The NBA consists of 30 teams.  Of those 30 teams, there are MAYBE 12 teams that can be considered (in the most general of terms) a playoff contender.  The rest are either looking to simply make an extra buck from playoff ticket sales or tanking the season in hopes of creating a buzz with the number one pick in next seasons draft.  This is a big problem.

3) A game determined by the level of officiating during any given night:  The officiating has become a disgrace.  There is an enormous range of reliability between each official and it, unfortunately, hurts the popularity and integrity of the NBA.  The officials are simply too old or too inconsistent to officiate a basketball game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

This is a very good thread with some very good posts (and the usual asinine NBA apologists) : unfortunately it bleongs on the forum, Around the NBA, and not on the Celtics: On the Front Burner forum.

If we expect the moderators to do their job, then we have to do ours, which means limiting our threads here to threads that have to do directly with the Celtics.

That being said, I agree with Dafoe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobeismrnba. Show kobeismrnba's posts

Oh boy!  Marble Mouth strikes again and adds a foot in there. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA?:
    The NBA is not at watchable as it used to be, and the players aren't as compelling.  Hate to sound like old guy (30's),  but lack of fundamentals, dunks versus ball movement, me first attitudes, full body art (not trying to say it's all bad, but is there an NBA player without a tattoo anymore?), and the capstone, a prime time act of disrespect (LeBron's "decision") is really turning me off to the NBA.   This league's future hopefully lies with guys like Durant, who seems to be a throwback player.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

One NBA player with no tattoos?  Ray Allen, to name one.  All class.  Nuff said and den sum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobeismrnba. Show kobeismrnba's posts

Then there's Scal the redhead jabone!  Lovely, he can shoot the trifecta.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

dude , the children are running the household....the adults have "punked out".......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Some fans just can't seem to take a loss and move on, take defeat with class.  Instead, incessantly crying about the NBA, it's ref, the Commish, and now the "softies".  Pathetic.
    Posted by victorlee1234

You seem to have a serious reading comprehension issue. Not trying to insult you. But if that's what you gathered from my post, you have an issue.

All I was saying is that the NBA stinks. I used to be a die hard. I sat through those 25 win seasons and watched every single game. And now that my team is a legit title contender I am seriously considering just dropping the NBA. How messed up is that? That's how terrible the league has become. It's been like that for a long time. I guess it was easier to take when there was nothing at stake. Sure, it was frustrating to watch the officiating night after night. But at the end of the day, you knew it didn't matter because the Celtics weren't good enough to win a title. They would win 30-50 games and (if they made it) get bounced in the playoffs. Now that the stakes are higher, it's ten times more frustrating.

I'm sick of watching Dwight Howard flail around like a bull in a china shop, whacking away at heads, arms, bodies and anything else within his reach in the name of "defense" And when he does connect, knocking teeth out, injuring players or just knocking them to the ground he is rarely called. Because he is a "star" But Perk routinely gets called for non fouls simply because the refs don't like him. In the meantime, Perk is considered by most to be a marginal player. Yet when you compare his stats to Howard's, they are shockingly similar over the last two years. You don't even have to be good to get star treatment- just gain a rep. Dwight Howard is one of the most overrated athletes of my life time.

I'm sick of watching LeBron travel through the paint. I'm pretty sure Hedo Turkoglu has never layed the ball in without taking less than 4 steps. Yet they have this awesome thing they started a couple of hears ago where if you are on the perimeter and move your pivot foot 1/16th of an inch while upfaking they call a travel. Almost traveling is a call. But jog through the paint and it's all good.

I'm sick of watching refs make calls on plays they didn't even see. I'm sick of refs turning a blind eye to fouls they did see. I'm tired of seeing charges called blocking fouls and blocking fouls called charges. I'm talking about the obvious ones-not the borderline calls that could legitimately go either way.

I'm tired of watching players get rewarded for flopping. I'm sick of watching refs make an insanely terrible call and then compound the mistake by handing out a tech because they are too thin skinned. You know what? Player X has a right to be upset. How about growing a pair and taking it like a man. You're the one that started this mess. I played football. And I never had an issue with an official that was willing to admit he made a mistake. Most guys didn't have a problem with the oficials like that. It was the arrogant self righteous ones we all hated. I screwed up. Sorry. What can you say to that? 80-90% of the time that would shut guys up.

I'm sick of watching the national TV analysts turn a blind eye to horrible calls because they are afraid of Stern. I'm just tired. Of everything.

I've basically kept my mouth shut about the Finals. Clearly, if the officiating had been competent, the Celtics win game 7 and the title. But it's not like this hasn't been going on for years. NBA officiating has been terrible. Why would it be any different for game 7 of the Finals. You have to expect awful officiating. It's part and parcel of watching the NBA product. The better team didn't win. But it is what it is. It's not like Doc was forced to leave Mr.0-16 in way too long. But he did.

My point was the NBA is terrible. There is absolutely nothing fun about watching an NBA game. Nothing. I catch non Patriots and Bruins games all the time. But outside of the Suns game where Nash played with one eye, I can't even remember the last time I watched a non Celtics NBA game. The officiating is so terrible I get frustrated even when I don't have a rooting interest.

The NBA stinks.Sorry. It just does. And as long as Stern is here it will only get worse.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA? : You seem to have a serious reading comprehension issue. Not trying to insult you. But if that's what you gathered from my post, you have an issue. All I was saying is that the NBA stinks. I used to be a die hard. I sat through those 25 win seasons and watched every single game. And now that my team is a legit title contender I am seriously considering just dropping the NBA. How messed up is that? That's how terrible the league has become. It's been like that for a long time. I guess it was easier to take when there was nothing at stake. Sure, it was frustrating to watch the officiating night after night. But at the end of the day, you knew it didn't matter because the Celtics weren't good enough to win a title. They would win 30-50 games and (if they made it) get bounced in the playoffs. Now that the stakes are higher, it's ten times more frustrating. I'm sick of watching Dwight Howard flail around like a bull in a china shop, whacking away at heads, arms, bodies and anything else within his reach in the name of "defense" And when he does connect, knocking teeth out, injuring players or just knocking them to the ground he is rarely called. Because he is a "star" But Perk routinely gets called for non fouls simply because the refs don't like him. In the meantime, Perk is considered by most to be a marginal player. Yet when you compare his stats to Howard's, they are shockingly similar over the last two years. You don't even have to be good to get star treatment- just gain a rep. Dwight Howard is one of the most overrated athletes of my life time. I'm sick of watching LeBron travel through the paint. I'm pretty sure Hedo Turkoglu has never layed the ball in without taking less than 4 steps. Yet they have this awesome thing they started a couple of hears ago where if you are on the perimeter and move your pivot foot 1/16th of an inch while upfaking they call a travel. Almost traveling is a call. But jog through the paint and it's all good. I'm sick of watching refs make calls on plays they didn't even see. I'm sick of refs turning a blind eye to fouls they did see. I'm tired of seeing charges called blocking fouls and blocking fouls called charges. I'm talking about the obvious ones-not the borderline calls that could legitimately go either way. I'm tired of watching players get rewarded for flopping. I'm sick of watching refs make an insanely terrible call and then compound the mistake by handing out a tech because they are too thin skinned. You know what? Player X has a right to be upset. How about growing a pair and taking it like a man. You're the one that started this mess. I played football. And I never had an issue with an official that was willing to admit he made a mistake. Most guys didn't have a problem with the oficials like that. It was the arrogant self righteous ones we all hated. I screwed up. Sorry. What can you say to that? 80-90% of the time that would shut guys up. I'm sick of watching the national TV analysts turn a blind eye to horrible calls because they are afraid of Stern. I'm just tired. Of everything. I've basically kept my mouth shut about the Finals. Clearly, if the officiating had been competent, the Celtics win game 7 and the title. But it's not like this hasn't been going on for years. NBA officiating has been terrible. Why would it be any different for game 7 of the Finals. You have to expect awful officiating. It's part and parcel of watching the NBA product. The better team didn't win. But it is what it is. It's not like Doc was forced to leave Mr.0-16 in way too long. But he did. My point was the NBA is terrible. There is absolutely nothing fun about watching an NBA game. Nothing. I catch non Patriots and Bruins games all the time. But outside of the Suns game where Nash played with one eye, I can't even remember the last time I watched a non Celtics NBA game. The officiating is so terrible I get frustrated even when I don't have a rooting interest. The NBA stinks.Sorry. It just does. And as long as Stern is here it will only get worse.  
    Posted by dafoe

-

I just want to thank you for putting it all so succinctly.  I could not agree more. I'm a C's addict too. But I give myself one more season with this Celtic's team before I pack it in.  I don't see it getting any better any time soon.

I must have watched close to 95 Celtic games last season, not one by any other teams, and I don't think I can waste that much time this coming season as the regular season has become even more meaningless then ever. 

That mid-season/2nd half swoon the C's went through was painful to watch as they were so obviously underachieving.  If that's the case this season I will pick the games I watch carefully. 

It's also painful to watch the national games and not have the comfort, wisdom, and expertise of Tommy & Mike calling the game.  Post season is torture for me because of this. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: What is happening to the NBA? : You seem to have a serious reading comprehension issue. Not trying to insult you. But if that's what you gathered from my post, you have an issue. All I was saying is that the NBA stinks. I used to be a die hard. I sat through those 25 win seasons and watched every single game. And now that my team is a legit title contender I am seriously considering just dropping the NBA. How messed up is that? That's how terrible the league has become. It's been like that for a long time. I guess it was easier to take when there was nothing at stake. Sure, it was frustrating to watch the officiating night after night. But at the end of the day, you knew it didn't matter because the Celtics weren't good enough to win a title. They would win 30-50 games and (if they made it) get bounced in the playoffs. Now that the stakes are higher, it's ten times more frustrating. I'm sick of watching Dwight Howard flail around like a bull in a china shop, whacking away at heads, arms, bodies and anything else within his reach in the name of "defense" And when he does connect, knocking teeth out, injuring players or just knocking them to the ground he is rarely called. Because he is a "star" But Perk routinely gets called for non fouls simply because the refs don't like him. In the meantime, Perk is considered by most to be a marginal player. Yet when you compare his stats to Howard's, they are shockingly similar over the last two years. You don't even have to be good to get star treatment- just gain a rep. Dwight Howard is one of the most overrated athletes of my life time. I'm sick of watching LeBron travel through the paint. I'm pretty sure Hedo Turkoglu has never layed the ball in without taking less than 4 steps. Yet they have this awesome thing they started a couple of hears ago where if you are on the perimeter and move your pivot foot 1/16th of an inch while upfaking they call a travel. Almost traveling is a call. But jog through the paint and it's all good. I'm sick of watching refs make calls on plays they didn't even see. I'm sick of refs turning a blind eye to fouls they did see. I'm tired of seeing charges called blocking fouls and blocking fouls called charges. I'm talking about the obvious ones-not the borderline calls that could legitimately go either way. I'm tired of watching players get rewarded for flopping. I'm sick of watching refs make an insanely terrible call and then compound the mistake by handing out a tech because they are too thin skinned. You know what? Player X has a right to be upset. How about growing a pair and taking it like a man. You're the one that started this mess. I played football. And I never had an issue with an official that was willing to admit he made a mistake. Most guys didn't have a problem with the oficials like that. It was the arrogant self righteous ones we all hated. I screwed up. Sorry. What can you say to that? 80-90% of the time that would shut guys up. I'm sick of watching the national TV analysts turn a blind eye to horrible calls because they are afraid of Stern. I'm just tired. Of everything. I've basically kept my mouth shut about the Finals. Clearly, if the officiating had been competent, the Celtics win game 7 and the title. But it's not like this hasn't been going on for years. NBA officiating has been terrible. Why would it be any different for game 7 of the Finals. You have to expect awful officiating. It's part and parcel of watching the NBA product. The better team didn't win. But it is what it is. It's not like Doc was forced to leave Mr.0-16 in way too long. But he did. My point was the NBA is terrible. There is absolutely nothing fun about watching an NBA game. Nothing. I catch non Patriots and Bruins games all the time. But outside of the Suns game where Nash played with one eye, I can't even remember the last time I watched a non Celtics NBA game. The officiating is so terrible I get frustrated even when I don't have a rooting interest. The NBA stinks.Sorry. It just does. And as long as Stern is here it will only get worse.  
    Posted by dafoe

Great post!!! 100% Balz On!!! You should send this to the commissioner's office, but it wouldn't do any good. You are right. As long as that slack-jawed smirking excuse for a man in charge controls the league, things will only get worse. I pray that he will find the decency to resign his position, but having observed his antics for far too many years, I realize that he does not know the meaning of the word. Because of him we are left with a pathetic caricature of this once great sport.  The NBA would be better off with Howard Stern in charge.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Not just the Lebron thing made the NBA go to lows in years... I seriously disliked the Dunk Contest a couple of years ago. I still don't get it why people jumped out their chairs when Howard did his Superman no-dunk dunk

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

When Stern retires it will be a joyous day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

This is a very good thread with some very good posts (and the usual asinine NBA apologists) : unfortunately it bleongs on the forum, Around the NBA , and not on the Celtics: On the Front Burner forum. If we expect the moderators to do their job, then we have to do ours, which means limiting our threads here to threads that have to do directly with the Celtics. That being said, I agree with Dafoe.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

As I started reading this I said this is not CELTICS related and should be moved eventhough a CELTICS fan started this thread.  To keep it fair so those FAKERS fan cant complain, then it should be moved.

Ive been a CELTICS fan since 1980 and have seen the league digress from the mid to late 90s.  With all these new generation athletes these days all sports have taken a few steps back.

I like what OKC is doing with their young stars.  I hope KD keeps his head straight and not fall into the trade me, trade me to a championship contender like some of these other athletes.  Im hoping they knock off the FAKERS this year.  After the CELTICS, OKC might be my favorite team.  I always route for the small colleges in CBB and OKC has that Gonzaga/Butler feel.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

"............and of course the Celts should have raised the banner that the refs robbed them of over 12 of the worse officiated minutes i have ever seen"

yep...

the refs make the games all about them and it happens in each pro  sport..Basketball is more noticeable.

sports=  entertainment= jollywood
    and you saw the jollywood ending that you knew was cooked up in the nba poison kitchen

each generation is spoiled to some extent cuz parents want more for their kids
    nothing wrong with that

60s kids were also called privliged

today more money more media more attention

MORE EGO..

just look again at the jollywood ending

ego wins out over team spirit
    its all about the refs..or kobe or lerbon bon ect.......

25. This post has been removed.