What is with the free-pass Jeff Green gets?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

What is with the free-pass Jeff Green gets?

Isn't it obvious that despite having great God-granted physical advantages, Jeff Green simply does not know how to play this game, he almost never looks like he actually enjoys pl aying it, and he has evinced no interest in improving himself?

Am I alone in thinking this?

Basketball games appear to be an unpleasant but necessary chore for him, like, "This is something I have to do to get my 106K game check. But I don't have to like it."

He just played 30 minutes without making a basket. How many guys will do that this year in the NBA?

And I'm getting tired of hearing Tommy saying how he isn't being used peoperly, how everybody has to make things easier for Jeff, get him more shots, get him out and running, get him to play nearer the basket, etc.

How about Jeff gets himself on the offensive glass, digs in and asks for the ball on the blocks, learns how to change direction with the dribble, figures out how to shoot a pull-up jumper on the move, finish in traffic, and make a pass that is crisp, on-line, and catchable, etc?

All of those things depend on having physical ability. He has the physical ability. And he claims to have "worked on my game" this summer. When pressed on what specific areas he worked on, he said he worked on all of it.

And the mental side of it may be the most troublesome. Things that call for making a quick, sound decision take him forever; moves that demand no decision at all, take him only slightly less time, i.e., watching him and Bass play a two-man game is like watching grass grow.

If I'm his coach/GM, I'm ready to cut bait and move on to someone the team can depend on as a cornerstone to build around, someone from whom the team knows what it's going to get every night, someone reliable and involved.

Stevens can't be in love with the Jeff Green Roulette he's seeing. He prefers tougher, hard-nosed, cerebral players with high-rev motors. That is not Jeff Green. 

So why isn't Green able to do this basic "basketball stuff?" 

You got me. 

Or as Stevens was quoted tonight, "I don't know the answer to that. You'd have to ask Jeff."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: What is with the free-pass Jeff Green gets?

Not sure who you are thinking of in terms of free pass. I've been giving Jeff Green a hard time in this forum ever since the Perkins trade and I'm hardly the only one. 

I think what you are referring to is some in this forum are infatuated with his athleticism and are desperately trying to overlook his mental game. 

To be fair to Jeff, Bradley and Crawford hogged the shots tonight. They need to feed him the ball. 

"If I'm his coach/GM, I'm ready to cut bait and move on to someone the team can depend on'

Not sure what you mean by that. Ainge bid against himself, perhaps in a desire to justify the Perkins trade, and has signed Jeff to an albatross of a contract that other teams won't want to touch. 

There is no cutting bait with Jeff. You can sit him but then his trade value will go down further. If Jeff keeps playing reasonably well Ainge might, might be able to package him wth a player who has a more appealing contract. 

Get used to watching the maddening Jeff Green.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Jeff Green has the most talent on the squad.  He is a complementary player performance-wise because you never know what guy is gonna show up.  If he's not scoring he's not always helping in other areas.  He should be coming off the bench for a contender with a mandate to shoot 10-12 times a night.  I'd almost go a far as to say he's a borderline soft, one dimensional player.  He makes a lot of money for a guy who too often is a no-show.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Green has been in the NBA for years. He is what he is, and he will remain what he is.

Nothing to see here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

Jeff Green < Ricky Davis

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Jeff Green the only NBA player to end up not living up to his potential?

There's a reason why Ainge gave Jeff Green less money compared to what Nic Batum got.

Jeff Green is consistently inconsistent.

It is what it is.

But if Jeff Green is only the 3rd best player on the team, he will thrive.

[/QUOTE]

so why wasn't he thriving in OKC? why didn't he thrive last year behind PP, KG and Rondo?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Jeff deserved his chance, he has had it, I can take losing but the guy has little fire and plenty of wasted talent.  He does not seek the ball or the moment, but every now and then he looks great or has a great game.  Sad but true, he still has time but it would suprise me if he rises to the calling.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

The "free pass" is because he is not a #1 option guy and he's forced into that role. The "free pass" expires if he is kept until Rondo is healthy and Danny brings in a true #1. At that point, if he can't step up the consistency and be productive, he's out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

[QUOTE]

so why wasn't he thriving in OKC? why didn't he thrive last year behind PP, KG and Rondo?

[/QUOTE]

Jeff Green was thriving in OKC, 14.2 ppg and 5.8 rpg in 4 seasons with OKC.

But it was time to give Jeff Green a big contract, something OKC didn't want to do.

That's why they traded him.

In 3 seasons with Boston, Green is only averaging 12.4 ppg and 3.8 rpg.

Clearly Jeff Green was playing better when he was with Durant and Westbrook.

[/QUOTE]

wow.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

Is Jeff Green the only NBA player to end up not living up to his potential?

There's a reason why Ainge gave Jeff Green less money compared to what Nic Batum got.

Jeff Green is consistently inconsistent.

It is what it is.

But if Jeff Green is only the 3rd best player on the team, he will thrive.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed , Jeff Green is the #3rd option at best , but his contract is not an albatros , funny thing is I think OKC would be the perfect place to trade Jeff Green to since OKC never replaced Kevin Martin, what about trading Green back for Perkins expiring contract and either Perry Jones III or Reggie Jackson, throw in Pressey to make spare parts match......?

16. This post has been removed.