What kind of team will we see next year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NaturesCamo. Show NaturesCamo's posts

What kind of team will we see next year?

It'll be interesting to see if RR or BB will still be around or we'll make big changes. Depending on how far we go this year in the playoffs, I think it may be time to make a few more big changes. I love the team we have, Perk was a big change, but if we flop in the playoffs maybe its time to start the transfer to a younger team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: What kind of team will we see next year?

At this moment in time, I'm just hoping we see our teams in action next season.

Reading the word "Changes" has actually now put the Bowie song into my head! Which isn't a bad thing at all.

For Boston, I can't see either Garnett, Pierce or Allen being moved on. I think there may well be outrage if any of them are traded. Although at their age would they have the majority of teams interested in them? Perhaps Chicago, OKC or another rising team may be interested, but they wouldn't want to give up too much.

Plus I consider Pierce to be untradable in Boston. Would be like the Celtics trading Larry Bird. I couldn't ever see it happening now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NaturesCamo. Show NaturesCamo's posts

In Response to Re: What kind of team will we see next year?:
    [QUOTE]At this moment in time, I'm just hoping we see our teams in action next season. Reading the word "Changes" has actually now put the Bowie song into my head! Which isn't a bad thing at all. For Boston, I can't see either Garnett, Pierce or Allen being moved on. I think there may well be outrage if any of them are traded. Although at their age would they have the majority of teams interested in them? Perhaps Chicago, OKC or another rising team may be interested, but they wouldn't want to give up too much. Plus I consider Pierce to be untradable in Boston. Would be like the Celtics trading Larry Bird. I couldn't ever see it happening now.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I agree with what yous aid about Pierce. There really is no way I think we'll see him go anywhere. And Bowie's song is classic so no complaints there haha. I just think in the next year or two we may be surprised if not dumbfounded again by some trades that take place the re-vamping of the team

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NaturesCamo. Show NaturesCamo's posts

[QUOTE]A team like no other. HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    meaning..?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to What kind of team will we see next year?:
    [QUOTE]It'll be interesting to see if RR or BB will still be around or we'll make big changes. Depending on how far we go this year in the playoffs, I think it may be time to make a few more big changes. I love the team we have, Perk was a big change, but if we flop in the playoffs maybe its time to start the transfer to a younger team.
    Posted by NaturesCamo[/QUOTE]

No matter what he does in the playoffs... good, bad or ugly, "The Rondo" needs to go.

He and his many issues are way too disruptive to team and to management to endure any longer.

Let him be someone else's challenge to motivate.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NaturesCamo. Show NaturesCamo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What kind of team will we see next year? : No matter what he does in the playoffs... good, bad or ugly, "The Rondo" needs to go. He and his many issues are way too disruptive to team and to management to endure any longer. Let him be someone else's challenge to motivate. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    Besides the last few weeks and the very inconsistent play we've seen after the Perk trade, what kind of issues that are disruptive does he have? Hasn't he played extremely well for the last few years? He's always been at the top or near the top in league leader of assists. He brings the team together and is a huge factor in our offense and defense. Although it's been a brutal last few weeks, why does he need to go so bad?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What kind of team will we see next year? : Besides the last few weeks and the very inconsistent play we've seen after the Perk trade, what kind of issues that are disruptive does he have? Hasn't he played extremely well for the last few years? He's always been at the top or near the top in league leader of assists. He brings the team together and is a huge factor in our offense and defense. Although it's been a brutal last few weeks, why does he need to go so bad?
    Posted by NaturesCamo[/QUOTE]

You seem to be a newbie here. Rondo has been the most bitterly, divisive issue over the past two years by a wide margin.

Go back into the archives. Its all there.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

First of all, I don't think we'll see ANY team next year do to the strike/lockout. If we did, much would depend on how far the Celts go in this playoffs. Regardless, Doc's gone. I can't see him trying to light a stick of dyamite under this crew any longer, and putting up with Rondo, and at times too much hero ball. He will want to follow Austin's career at Duke!

JR

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NaturesCamo. Show NaturesCamo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What kind of team will we see next year? : You seem to be a newbie here. Rondo has been the most bitterly, divisive issue over the past two years by a wide margin. Go back into the archives. Its all there. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    You're definitely right there haha I'm a newbie. Looks like I have a little research to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

I don't expect ray and kg to return after this playoffs, retirement looks like it's in their cards. Same with shaq, but he may as well have been retired all year. Baby will move on in free agency for more money, as is expected. Next year will be kind of a stop-gap squad, 7-8 seed in the east. I expect a big time 2012-2013 team though. Howards out there, Love will be out there, Hibbert as a rfa, and the management love DeAndre Jordan. One thing I know about the ownership/management is that they won't accept the losing ways that were commonplace in the 90's/ early 2000's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Rondo is not going anywhere. the kid is too good. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]I don't expect ray and kg to return after this playoffs, retirement looks like it's in their cards. Same with shaq, but he may as well have been retired all year. Baby will move on in free agency for more money, as is expected. Next year will be kind of a stop-gap squad, 7-8 seed in the east. I expect a big time 2012-2013 team though. Howards out there, Love will be out there, Hibbert as a rfa, and the management love DeAndre Jordan. One thing I know about the ownership/management is that they won't accept the losing ways that were commonplace in the 90's/ early 2000's.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can definitely see them walking away from a combined 30 million or whatever it is - you see that all the time, players with guaranteed contracts just walking away.

Of course 2012 2013 should be great - look at what the Pistons have done since their team won a title with 4 all-stars was broken up.

What is the incentive for any of the players you mention to come to Boston under a new CBA with a hard salary cap?

I don't think there will be a season next year and the year after will be a season where there will be no KG, no Ray, and a couple more really bad draft picks from this year's and next year's drafts.

I can smell the coffee, that means it is time to wake up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo is not going anywhere. the kid is too good. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

Being too good could be a reason but the real reason is because with the new CBA there will likely be a hard salary cap and therefore Rondo will be vastly overpaid and not able to fit into any team's financial plans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

That Pistons team has been in a state of chaos for a few years now in terms of organizational structure. New ownership as of earlier this week, a GM who offers massive contracts to Charlie V and Ben Gordon, a coach who doesn't get any respect from his players, and a city ravaged by economic crisis. Boston has a dedicated ownership and front office that offers stability. There's history in Boston for basketball, and some players want to play on the biggest stage. There are many worse places to play bball in the NBA. By the way, what is your actual relationship to the Celts, Dudder? Lakers troll, pessimist, hater? Realist or not, a key element to being a fan is actually having faith in your team to get it done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]That Pistons team has been in a state of chaos for a few years now in terms of organizational structure. New ownership as of earlier this week, a GM who offers massive contracts to Charlie V and Ben Gordon, a coach who doesn't get any respect from his players, and a city ravaged by economic crisis. Boston has a dedicated ownership and front office that offers stability. There's history in Boston for basketball, and some players want to play on the biggest stage. There are many worse places to play bball in the NBA. By the way, what is your actual relationship to the Celts, Dudder? Lakers troll, pessimist, hater? Realist or not, a key element to being a fan is actually having faith in your team to get it done.

And what is a fan to do when his own team seems to lack the faith  that they themselves can get it done?

Fake it?

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]That Pistons team has been in a state of chaos for a few years now in terms of organizational structure. New ownership as of earlier this week, a GM who offers massive contracts to Charlie V and Ben Gordon, a coach who doesn't get any respect from his players, and a city ravaged by economic crisis. Boston has a dedicated ownership and front office that offers stability. There's history in Boston for basketball, and some players want to play on the biggest stage. There are many worse places to play bball in the NBA. By the way, what is your actual relationship to the Celts, Dudder? Lakers troll, pessimist, hater? Realist or not, a key element to being a fan is actually having faith in your team to get it done.

There is no history that suggests that once a team has its run, that it just keeps running.....

Bad teams get good players in the draft and get better, good teams get nothing in the draft and get worse.  It is a cycle.  OKC gets Durant, Green, Westbrook, Harden, etc. not by being good but being very bad.  The Cs get Walker, Giddens, Bradley, etc. by being very good.

The Celtics mystique is just that and believe only here in Boston.  Players have no incentive to come here as free agents - they want to go somewhere they can win no be the laughingstock.

Fan is short for fanatic - marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion, frenzied - at least according to my Webster.  I am a realist.

Comments are made in complete vacuums - I remember hearing Jackie Mac several years ago state that Al Jefferson will be a perennial all-star, I emailed her and said that I disagreed.  Jefferson has never been an all-star and has never made the playoffs but of course it has only been 7 years.

What I see on this board is individuals who make statements that are completely unrealistic and uninformed and pie-in-the-sky dreamers and think that Danny has some sort of advantage over other GMs because of some of the deals he has made, etc.

Without 2 gigantic expiring contracts (Wally S and Ratliff) KG and Ray never come here but people on this board think that Danny had stockpiled all sorts of top rate talent that enabled the trades.  The two times Danny has had a chance to get legit blue chip talent he made trades - Telfair and Ray.

You can compile a very long list of players selected after the players Danny selected in just about every draft.

The Cs do have a dedicated Ownership that has to play by the same rules as every other ownership will under the new CBA.

For what it is worth I do not see Danny sticking around once he dismantles the BIG 3 and they become the Cavs or Pistons.  He had a heart attack and may not be up to the challenge of starting from scratch especially without Doc.

Yes there are worse places to play in the NBA but the quality of the place may have something to do with the quality of the players.

There was a time when Dumars was the best executive in the league and now he should not have a job - acquiring talent drives that process and the Cs will not have any in the next couple of years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

You make a lot of really great points on this board, and I respect your knowledge, dudder. With that being said, we both have philosophical differences. No one really knows what the financial rammifications of a new CBA are, and I'm sure that the players would see an entire season go to waste rather than give in to the idea of a hard cap system. I do expect a really nasty summer, with a lockout in the fall, which is why I see Garnett and Allen walking away. But in '12 we will have only a few contracts and hopefully that mid-first rd. pick coming in from a loaded class. Regardless of GM or coach, wyc and pagliuca seem to be among the better owners in the league as far as demanding quality from their staff. The future is far murkier for teams like the lakers, whose contracts are tied up with headcases (artest's massive deal), kobe whose athleticism and body are breaking down, and broken centers. Don't even get me started about orlando (taking on arenas and turkoglu are sure fire way to drive dwight out of town) or nyk who have zero financial flexibility with their offense only superstars. As far as rebuilding goes, there is any oppurtunity to make it less painless than it has been in the past.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What kind of team will we see next year? : Yeah I can definitely see them walking away from a combined 30 million or whatever it is - you see that all the time, players with guaranteed contracts just walking away. Of course 2012 2013 should be great - look at what the Pistons have done since their team won a title with 4 all-stars was broken up. What is the incentive for any of the players you mention to come to Boston under a new CBA with a hard salary cap? I don't think there will be a season next year and the year after will be a season where there will be no KG, no Ray, and a couple more really bad draft picks from this year's and next year's drafts. I can smell the coffee, that means it is time to wake up.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

From everything that I read, I also believe it is a good possibility that their will be no NBA next season.    Look at what is happening with the NFL negotiations.  They don't seem close to coming to any agreement and I expect a similar scenario with the NBA.  If their is a hard salary cap, many teams will have problems signing players and even retaining current players.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What kind of team will we see next year? : From everything that I read, I also believe it is a good possibility that their will be no NBA next season.    Look at what is happening with the NFL negotiations.  They don't seem close to coming to any agreement and I expect a similar scenario with the NBA.  If their is a hard salary cap, many teams will have problems signing players and even retaining current players.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Stern has come out and said that they need to cut costs by something like 500 million dollars and salaries by about 40%.

Look what the Bruins did this year with a hard salary cap - sounds silly to say it but they were lucky they had key injuries to players that happened to make pretty good money - it kept them under the cap.  When those players came back, they had to trade away players making decent money basically for nothing.

It will be interesting to see how players get grandfathered in so that teams are not over the cap even though they are over the cap.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]You make a lot of really great points on this board, and I respect your knowledge, dudder. With that being said, we both have philosophical differences. No one really knows what the financial rammifications of a new CBA are, and I'm sure that the players would see an entire season go to waste rather than give in to the idea of a hard cap system. I do expect a really nasty summer, with a lockout in the fall, which is why I see Garnett and Allen walking away. But in '12 we will have only a few contracts and hopefully that mid-first rd. pick coming in from a loaded class. Regardless of GM or coach, wyc and pagliuca seem to be among the better owners in the league as far as demanding quality from their staff. The future is far murkier for teams like the lakers, whose contracts are tied up with headcases (artest's massive deal), kobe whose athleticism and body are breaking down, and broken centers. Don't even get me started about orlando (taking on arenas and turkoglu are sure fire way to drive dwight out of town) or nyk who have zero financial flexibility with their offense only superstars. As far as rebuilding goes, there is any oppurtunity to make it less painless than it has been in the past.

I am not concerned at all about the Knicks or Lakers, etc.  Young teams with lots of talent will become the Cs and Lakers like the Clippers, Memphis, the Bulls, and the Thunder.

It should not be much of a surprise - their core guys were all drafted in the lottery.

In this past all-star game 22 of the 24 all-stars were lottery picks.  Should not be much of a surprise that a lot of those players make up the nucleus of playoff teams.

I think that with the new CBA player movement will all but cease and college players will stay in school longer because GMs will stop drafting potential because they will not be able to afford to keep potential on the payroll - no more drafting one-and-dones and waiting 3 years for development.  GMs will focus more on more polished players that have experience in college.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Actually the Celtics are not in bad shape once the window on this team closes. 

here is why: 

1) Rajon Rondo hasn't even entered his prime years as a player yet and he'll still be here.

2) paul Pierce, although older will still be here and still capable of being a pretty effective player.

3) The Celtics have the option of matching any offer on Jeff green. (Not sure if they will, but it is an option.)

4) We get a TOP TEN protected Draft pick for the Perkins trade. A trade whose slot is determined by whoever finishes with a worse record between the Clippers and Timberwolves (this years second worst team.) 

So not only is that likely to be a very good draft pick it is a draft class that will be better because alot of talent will not declare for the draft this year due to the impending lockout. 

5) We have Ray's contract and KG's contract coming off the books. meaning we have room to buy some nice free agents.

Still having said all that the collective barganing agreement may change in a radical way, that could undermine some of this. One thing the league wants to do is stop how easily talent moves from one team to the next and just because you have a good draft pick doesn't mean you end up with a good player (Greg Odon anyone?)

So we'll see but the Celtics are ingood shape to build. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What kind of team will we see next year? : I am not concerned at all about the Knicks or Lakers, etc.  Young teams with lots of talent will become the Cs and Lakers like the Clippers, Memphis, the Bulls, and the Thunder. It should not be much of a surprise - their core guys were all drafted in the lottery. In this past all-star game 22 of the 24 all-stars were lottery picks.  Should not be much of a surprise that a lot of those players make up the nucleus of playoff teams. I think that with the new CBA player movement will all but cease and college players will stay in school longer because GMs will stop drafting potential because they will not be able to afford to keep potential on the payroll - no more drafting one-and-dones and waiting 3 years for development.  GMs will focus more on more polished players that have experience in college.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

you forget the Celtics have a lottery pick from the Perk trade. a top ten protected pick. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Actually the Celtics are not in bad shape once the window on this team closes.  here is why:  1) Rajon Rondo hasn't even entered his prime years as a player yet and he'll still be here. 2) paul Pierce, although older will still be here and still capable of being a pretty effective player. 3) The Celtics have the option of matching any offer on Jeff green. (Not sure if they will, but it is an option.) 4) We get a TOP TEN protected Draft pick for the Perkins trade. A trade whose slot is determined by whoever finishes with a worse record between the Clippers and Timberwolves (this years second worst team.)  So not only is that likely to be a very good draft pick it is a draft class that will be better because alot of talent will not declare for the draft this year due to the impending lockout.  5) We have Ray's contract and KG's contract coming off the books. meaning we have room to buy some nice free agents. Still having said all that the collective barganing agreement may change in a radical way, that could undermine some of this. One thing the league wants to do is stop how easily talent moves from one team to the next and just because you have a good draft pick doesn't mean you end up with a good player (Greg Odon anyone?) So we'll see but the Celtics are ingood shape to build. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

Wow.... a point guard that can't shoot, Paul Pierce on his last legs, a Clippers pick which will be about 20th (Kaman missed about 30 games and Gordon missed just as many otherwise the Clippers would have won 50 this year), oh and Ray's and KG's contracts will come off the books and will finally get them under the new hard cap which means they will not be able to fill those spots - is Greg Oden a bad player or just injured all the time.  Don't be surprised to see Oden in Green.

Yeah I think you summed it up well about how they will be in good shape - sounds an awful lot like the Walker / Pierce version - a couple of good players and too good to get good draft picks and not good enough to win.  You have a real good handle on things.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What kind of team will we see next year? : Uhh Dudder. pay attention:  the pick is top ten protected. It can't be lower than 10th.  It will not be around 20th.  also it's excellent news we have a top 5 point guard not even in his prime yet and a wing player who is having one of his best years and still takes great care of himself and will probably turn into a terrific role player.   So their is reason to be optimistic Celtic fans, but not unreasonably so. It all depends on how well draft with the terrifc pick we have and the new CBA agreement. but we have a good shot of rebuilding quickly if both of those break favorably. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

You might want to look up what "top 10 protected" means.

Pud