What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?

In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE?:
    [QUOTE]Over the last 10 games: Perk:    26 min, 40%, 8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.9 bpg, 0.1 stpg, 3.1 pfg, 4.6 ppg Green:  25 min, 42%, 5 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.6 bpg, 0.4 stpg, 0.4 pfg, 8.3 ppg NR:        7 min, 18%,  0 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.0 bpg, 0.0 stpg, 1.7 pfg, 2.3 ppg Krstc:   18 min, 63%, 4 rpg, 0;3 apg, 0.4 bpg, 0.5 stpg, 2.5 pfg, 7 ppg I loved Perk, and I even had a soft spot for the Donkey, but those guys aren't exactly tearing it up in OKC. Sure it sucks to lose the defensive cohesiveness he had with KG, but S. Oneal looks not too bad. And lets not forget that with out the trade, we had no one to back up pierce. Somehow Perk has become one of the most overrated players in basketball.
    Posted by shamrock1000[/QUOTE]

Shamrock1000 here is an interesting point that further proves your point. The Celtics point guard (yes point guard) Rajon Rondo is averaging more rebounds per game in the 2011 playoffs than the big brute Perk. Rondo is grabbing 6.5 per game and Perk 5.0 

Even more interesting is big softie Krstic over his career is grabbing less than one rebound less than the big brute. Perk averages 6.1 and Kristic 5.4. People just will not look at these numbers. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Agree with you and many other Celtics fans have had similar thoughts regarding Perkins.  I posted several times about getting a sufficient backup by trading other players that were traded, (a combination of Nate and other players  that were traded).  You don't trade a starter for backup players.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Perkins was traded because he decided to walk away.DA ha d to get something in return.Is this to hard to understand?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Shamrock1000 here is an interesting point that further proves your point. The Celtics point guard (yes point guard) Rajon Rondo is averaging more rebounds per game in the 2011 playoffs than the big brute Perk. Rondo is grabbing 6.5 per game and Perk 5.0  Even more interesting is big softie Krstic over his career is grabbing less than one rebound less than the big brute. Perk averages 6.1 and Kristic 5.4. People just will not look at these numbers. 
    Posted by calvinator[/QUOTE]

Just remember, Perk makes people fear coming into the paint.(that is what his supporters say) He is also the first one off the court when OKLC plays. Jeff Green has 6 points and 3 rebounds in 12 minutes. What the heck do some expect? He is definately playing better than BBD. Has anyone looked into maybe he is upset because his Shrek buddy Nate left? Jeff Green ought to be getting more time. The guy can shoot and plays decent enough defense. I think people who didn't support the trade look for everything to nitpick. What I love the most is the Erden supporters. The bench would have been Wafer or Harangody playing
    Melo right now. JO didn't even play in the final minutes due to match-ups. Daniels was gone. Something had to be done. I still support the trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from richardkc. Show richardkc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Or if the Celts didn't have Krstic and Green the Celtics could easily have fallen to the 4th or 5th seed when the playoffs started. Don't forget the fact that Perk didn't play for 3 weeks after being traded. Both O'Neals were out so that would leave the Celts with only Big Baby as the Center if Krstic was not acquired.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

your right! and i think nenad krstic needs to play a few more minutes on the floor to be effective...pavlovic also can help im just wondering why doc's not using him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deanocelt. Show deanocelt's posts

Great statistics Shamrock. I was, like many, stunned by the trade. I also had a soft spot for Perk, especially the way he played Dwight Howard. However, I think we did get the best player in the trade. Jeff often looks confused out there, but when he gets consistent minutes, we will see what he can really do. It must be very stressful for him to come here to uneven minutes, playing at different positions, and trying to select his shots when he is surrounded by three hall of famers. Also, let's not forget the first round pick we got and Perk's many injuries (shoulder + knee). I may live to regret saying this, but I support the trade. I think it will in the long run made us better. Also, I like are chances in the this years playoffs. I always think that at the end of the bird-mchale-parrish era that our reluctance to break up the nucleus set us back in the 1990s. It was a gutsy move by Danny and I support him. GO CELTS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tabuckiss. Show Tabuckiss's posts

I doubt Perkins or Nate could have stopped Melo from dropping 3 pointers in last night....and HELLOOOOO...we have won our first two games!!!  Won them...Won them....Won them....Won them....

Get it!  All is well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

In 2008, we had to do Atlanta in 7 games!  Were we soft then?  Enjoy the ride fellas!!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Perkins was traded because he decided to walk away.DA ha d to get something in return.Is this to hard to understand?
    Posted by debrit[/QUOTE]

This may be the last opportunity for this team to win a championship.  Whatever happens after the season ends shouldn't really matter? 
    Additionally, their may not even be a season next year.  Does it really matter what happens next year?  The Celtics are trying to win a championship this year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

[QUOTE]You will have to wait until it's all over. The Celtics have only played in 2 playoff games so far, it's too early to tell.
    Posted by kybested[/QUOTE]

Excellent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

nothing,, it goes down in history as one of great blunders of all time. kristic and green are a couple of softies and losers. jeff green is perhaps one of the most overrated players of all time. he gives the C's next to nothing. we had the best team with perkins already. not only is perkins a better basketball player than kristic and green combined, ( bob ryan- you have to look at all the aspects of basketball not just scoring) perkins gave the C's mental toughness and emotional benefits to the philosophy of togetherness the C's had fostered for several years. we are going to killed by miami if Shaq can not return to be a viable inside presence, but if Shaq is able to play decent minutes, we can still win this whole thing! when Shaq starts and is healthy, we have the best starting five in all of basketball. you basically have not only 5 all stars, but 5 guys who are going to be in the Hall of Fame. (Rondo will be there if he keeps developing)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : The trade was made because Perkins refused the extension offer made by DA and he was going  to walk away in the end  of the seasson.
    Posted by debrit[/QUOTE]

So what, let him walk then.  This core of the 3, Baby, Rondo and Perk deserved and us as fans deserved, to play this season out as is.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : your right! and i think nenad krstic needs to play a few more minutes on the floor to be effective...pavlovic also can help im just wondering why doc's not using him
    Posted by richardkc[/QUOTE]

Easy question, because he's terrible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]First let say a word about Jeff Green; it is hard for a player to go from averaging close to 40 minutes to playing spot minutes; first of all kudos for the guys attitude; he will be key for us in these playoffs.  Second, Danny gambled on Shaq and JO and he was right !!!   The Celtics are better with anyone one of them; they are both BETTER with the Celtics.  JO is flat out a better defender than Perkins.  Blocks that JO gets would be fouls with Perk.  He has patroled the paint better at a high level.   Secondly, this second unit is just coming together, Delonte is still working out kniks and playing with Green and Davis is new for all three...   The media made a lot about the trade but Kristic was always going to be insurance to JO and Shaq and apparently even Baby at the five...  I just think the Celtics have to take care of the ball better so West and Green can get more minutes...   It finally seems like Rondo is getting going... 
    Posted by ShepherdCall[/QUOTE]

I could not disagree with this entire post more.  You are saying that 2 centers who are old and have missed an average of 40% of their games over the last 5 seasons are a better fit for this team that the young center who has already won a title with them?  Really?  That makes no sense at all. 

I get why Danny made the trade and yes it's open for debate on whether it made them better "on" the court.  However, I would have rather kept Perk and won or lost with him.  He was part of this core that we came to love, he was Umbuntu.  And danny took that away. 

The ironic thing is that the last time I felt this bummed about a trade is when Danny himself got traded to Phoenix all those years ago...ironic to say the least.

That said, they still have a legit change to win this thing.  Green will really help when Ray and Paul need a breather from chasing Lebron and Wade all over the place for an entire series......

Darn you Tony Allen!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

It was foolish to get rid of Toney Allen for pennies.   The trade was stupid.   Green has some potential but he is soft and so if kristic.   Green looks like he is in fear or in a fog half the times, then he will show flashes of offensive promise.  His defense is not good at all.  Why couldn't we go for Gerald Wallace or someone who could actually help us.  Give up one or two of (nate BBD, Perk) for Wallace and get a wing.   Don't give up nate and perk for Jeff "soft fearfilled no defense" green.   Remeber the Adam Morrison?  He could shoot as well but he can't play defense to save his life.  Green is more athletic and on paper he should be very good but it's not about on paper.  In the game he is timid, afraid, not confident and not good on defense.  Kristic is a joke.  He is good for the Cavs not the Boston Celtics!   Inject Shaq with some HGH, ROIDS and get him out there...hahahaha  Plus Sam Presti is a very good GM.   They robbed us with the trade.   I was not crazy about nate but I even miss his energy  and toughness!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]jeff seems lost out there sometimes. he stands in the corner waiting for the 3...... he needs to move like ray is doing and try to get the ball to get open.
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth[/QUOTE]

Well said.  He should contact Ron Artests Shrink or something.  The guy is living in fear of his own shadow!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Over the last 10 games: Perk:    26 min, 40%, 8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.9 bpg, 0.1 stpg, 3.1 pfg, 4.6 ppg Green:  25 min, 42%, 5 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.6 bpg, 0.4 stpg, 0.4 pfg, 8.3 ppg NR:        7 min, 18%,  0 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.0 bpg, 0.0 stpg, 1.7 pfg, 2.3 ppg Krstc:   18 min, 63%, 4 rpg, 0;3 apg, 0.4 bpg, 0.5 stpg, 2.5 pfg, 7 ppg I loved Perk, and I even had a soft spot for the Donkey, but those guys aren't exactly tearing it up in OKC. Sure it sucks to lose the defensive cohesiveness he had with KG, but S. Oneal looks not too bad. And lets not forget that with out the trade, we had no one to back up pierce. Somehow Perk has become one of the most overrated players in basketball.
    Posted by shamrock1000[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, stats on paper do not tell the story.  Ask anyone in the league who they would want to go to the playoffs with Perk of Mr. and Mrs Softness (Kristic and Green) I think the majority would say Perk.   This does not mean the guy is a savior or an all star.  Perk was a good role player.  We need his interior defense more than the softies (Kristic and Green)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

Seeing that theres a good chance Shaq is done for the season i dont see any benefits

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

We think the trade stinks now? Wait until the offseason when DA will have to sign at least one or both Green & Krstic to save face!

Green was a scorer and Krstic a starter at OKC, so both will be looking for a lot more than around the $5-$6 MM per they're getting now. Factor in that BBD is also a free agent and DA may be paying big money for 2 bench players in Green & Baby.

That said, I would've taken the chance that Perk would accept a hometown discount to stay with his Boston brothers. I know he wanted to test FA and teams were eyeing him but I do think he would've stayed for between the early $5 MM per offer the C's offered him and the $8 MM per he got from OKC. 

Yes, we had 3 centers but DA was only counting on Shaq & JO for limited games/minutes in 2010-11 anyway and it's a lot easier to find a back-up 3 than a young starting center. Perk may not be Hakeem but he was a major piece of the Celts' defensive sucess (especially after TA left) and his picks opened up lanes for Rondo & the Big 3.

In the end, you got to admit that Sam Presti got the best of DA on this one. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Everything says the rumors(Yahoo, the eagle) of Shaq not coming back are true.  Then Doc makes a statement that Shaq may play Sunday.  Someone is lying.  Who is it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

[QUOTE]The problem with the trade was it's timing - end of the season.  With all of the injuries to the C's, it's been hard for a second string to develop any cohesion.  There are 5 guys that have had very limited playing time together.  Hopefully, they find the cohesion by the end of the second round or they won't be a conference final. Green, Kristic, Jermaine O'Neal, Big Baby, and West are good ball players.  As a group, they should be able to hold a lead.  O
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  The chemistry of a team, the interraction of players, their timing in different situations is a crucial parts of what makes a team, not individuals with good stats.  

Too many pieces to put together this late in the season with a starting five that knew what each other could do.  The question has to be asked, who was supposed to be the starting center for the rest of the year?  Shaq is a known injury prone 10-18 minute player at best, Big Baby inconsistant, J O'Neil was already suffering from injuries and isn't a quality starter anymore.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : Excellent! I was kind of thinking the same thing myself. The experts on the radio are making Perk sound like he`s Wilt Chamberlain. Yet, you look at the stats over the last 5 games, not a lot there. I did think Jeff Green would do a lot better though. Oh well.
    Posted by SUZUKIGSXR[/QUOTE]

OKC wins their series, the Spurs bow out to Memphis, OKC sees the Lakers in round two, the Cs bow out on round two as does OKC...... the trade means nothing other than the Cs got a young player with much more upside than a center who has played 8 years in the league and has improved about 8% from when he entered the league.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

with our healthy starters from last year with tony allen we win easy. losing perkins and TA was nonsense. Danny Ainge is the biggest moron of all time!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What really are the benefits of the BIG TRADE? : OKC wins their series, the Spurs bow out to Memphis, OKC sees the Lakers in round two, the Cs bow out on round two as does OKC...... the trade means nothing other than the Cs got a young player with much more upside than a center who has played 8 years in the league and has improved about 8% from when he entered the league.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say you don't understand basketball very well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

So how can a team like N.Y. who also had an overhaul get it together enought o challeng us?

I think its a convenient excuse for a team that it gonna look bad at times and people are searching for these exotic answers when the truth is, these guys are all on their last legs....you cant coach or teach youth....Lets face it...whatever we get in these playoffs is gravy...If Doc retired and Ray left,  we wouldnt be in the playoffs, so year 4 in a 3 year window is gonna look ugly,,,but its not over...the Big 3 just gotta work their tails off...and Rondo gotta go hard Every Night!