What Role "Emotion" Played in Loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

What Role "Emotion" Played in Loss

What role did the emotion generated by Ray's quest for the record play in this loss?

Despite being out-rebounded and injury depleted we still could have won, but then missing good shots down the stretch cost us -- this was a very winnable game for the C's.

Didn't it seem that after that estatic moment, when Ray broke the record, all the air went out of the Celtic's as a team?  Was the emotion so pent up that after that great moment came and went the C's suffered an emotional let down?

Our great friend RUWorthy brought this up in an earlier post that I just read as I prepared this post.  It goes to show that great minds do think alike.  Wink 

RUW said:  " . .  . wondering if Ray Allen breaking the record may have put the minds of the Celtics players somewhere else and not on the game?

Not to create an excuse but it's plausable that it could have affected the mentality of the Celtics without them even knowing it."

And she makes a great point.  The C's were in cruise control for a while, building up a 15 point lead, and then the floor went out from under them as the Lakers went on a run that the C's had no answer for.

Emotion is an intangible that is difficult to quantify except for watching the energy and focus of a team. A shot can rim out simply by being 1/16 of an inch off, a rebound missed by not jumping with maximum energy, and down the stretch, when the Celtics had cut the lead to three, our shots would not drop, we missed rebounds and loose balls, and it was too late to regain the emotion and focus we had in the 1st quarter.

In hindsight I think the C's suffered an emotional let down after Ray broke the record and they simply could not get it back nor break the momentum built up by the Lakers.  Of course fatigue, from too many minutes and being shorthanded, also plays a factor in controlling emotion, energy, and focus.

No great victory for the Lakers, beating a totally depleted Celtic team, and I have every confidence that, when fully manned, we would own the Lakers in a 7 game series if it comes to that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Re: What Role "Emotion" Played in Loss

On Comcast's, Sports Tonight, the writer, Woz ..niak (?), from Yahoo, I think, confirmed that the Laker strategy was to get the Ray record thing over with early so that the emotion would not be so strong if he did it in the 3rd or 4th.

Like I said, the air seemed to go out of the C's after that great moment, especially coming out for the 2nd half.

Of course being shorthanded and fatigued from all the minutes on our starters legs didn't help either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Kobe was on point down the stretch.  Sometimes good teams lose because their opponents out play them.  I think Boston is the better team right now, but they didn't stop Kobe when it mattered.  You can't be up for every game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I hate to give the Lakers and Jackson credit for anything but if they did strategize this letting Ray get his record out of the way it was pretty damn smart.

The Celtics as you said could not hit the side of a barn door with their shots down the stretch. The shots were wide open.  Fatigue for the starters also killed us.

Still that was no excuse. the Lakers must know with even some key players back for us they will not have a good chance in the finals.  I predict they will not stand pat before the trading deadline.  They know they are vulnerable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

"let" him get the record? ... I don't remember anyone in gold helping him shoot that 3.... we had a double digit lead until Nate got injured..... injuries+foul trouble= loss ..... in any game whether someone broke a record or not

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: What Role "Emotion" Played in Loss:

[QUOTE]"let" him get the record? ... I don't remember anyone in gold helping him shoot that 3.... we had a double digit lead until Nate got injured..... injuries+foul trouble= loss ..... in any game whether someone broke a record or not

Posted by KGLove[/QUOTE]

-

It's largely beside the point as this thread is about how the emotional let down after Ray got the record negatively affected the Celtics, the how and why of it. 

If the Lakers came out flat because of the emoton in the building that could be part of it, and if part of their stratedgy was to hope Ray got the record out of the way early then that turned out to be smart thinking.

No one can deny we saw a different Celtic team the first 16 minutes of the game then we saw the rest of the game.