What would the Celtics have been like if they picked Tony Parker instead of Joe Forte?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

What would the Celtics have been like if they picked Tony Parker instead of Joe Forte?

Was reading Bill Simmons article on the Spurs and he brought up that Tony Parker was almost a Celitic and at the last minute they changed their mind.

How do you think your team would have fared with him in the line-up?

a link to the video  with Tony and Bill and around the 9 minute mark they talk about the draft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wlrGFjBR0hY

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: What would the Celtics have been like if they picked Tony Parker instead of Joe Forte?

Or DeAndre Jordan instead of Giddens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: What would the Celtics have been like if they picked Tony Parker instead of Joe Forte?

This has been mentioned countless times on this forum and is so long ago it isn't even worth mnetioning like the Giddens/Jordan boo boo.

Might as well talk about how they almost took Tim Hardaway but Red decided last minute to take Michael Smith. Same situation.

If they had taken Parker they hopefully wouldn't have found the need to trade Joe Johnson the following deadline in a desperate move to compete when they weren't really that close to a title. They instead would have hopefully shopped Antoine.

So the C's would have built around Parker, Pierce, Joe Johnson and whatever they could get for Antoine. Or if they kept antoine tried to turn the contracts of Vitaly and Battie, plus 2002 and 2003 picks in the 18-24 range, into a legit Center. Had they been able to get a legit 5 who was on the market back then (can't really think of any, Camby? Ratliff?) then maybe they could have been runners up to the Piston's in '04 and '05.

At that point it gets really murky... but obviously they would have needed a KG type trade or something around '04 or '05 to be legit contenders. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

woulda, shoulda, coulda...

I'd say let's stick to reality...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Or if they hadn't traded Billups for a bag o nuts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

In response to dirty52's comment:

Was reading Bill Simmons article on the Spurs and he brought up that Tony Parker was almost a Celitic and at the last minute they changed their mind.

How do you think your team would have fared with him in the line-up?

a link to the video  with Tony and Bill and around the 9 minute mark they talk about the draft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wlrGFjBR0hY

What if the Celtics took Bonzi Wells instead of Pierce in the 98 draft. There are always what if's, but to answer your question if the drafted Tony Parker they probabley would have been good enough to never be in the lottery which would mean never getting Ray Allen and ultimately mean no KG and no championship.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

....and if they kept Joe Johnson that same draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

ooof, tony delk and rodney rogers. joe forte was a red pick too.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to johconn's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Had Chris Wallace not wasted the first pick, they could have had Parker and Forte. Forte could have played his natural 2 guard position and maybe developed .... He did go on to have success in Europe though and had a lengthy career there ... might still be playing too.

Here's a good story about Re'd interest in Forte and his influence on the pick;

http://www.igtc.com/archives/celtics/2001/Jul/msg00203.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Had Chris Wallace not wasted the first pick, they could have had Parker and Forte. Forte could have played his natural 2 guard position and maybe developed .... He did go on to have success in Europe though and had a lengthy career there ... might still be playing too.

[/QUOTE]

good article. looks like he had the talent & attitude- maybe a bit small. although he once turned up to practice in a lakers shirt. BUT the real bust of that lot was the human pogo stick kedrick brown at#11. yikes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

good article. looks like he had the talent & attitude- maybe a bit small. although he once turned up to practice in a lakers shirt. BUT the real bust of that lot was the human pogo stick kedrick brown at#11. yikes

That's right Johnson was #10 and Kedrick #11 ... for an instant I thought it was the other way around ... and the hype was so great over Brown you'd think he was the second coming of Len Bias. He should have been their 21st pick, then they could have had Johnson, Parker & Kedrick or Forte.

How bout this;    http://www.celticslife.com/2012/10/what-hell-happened-tokedrick-brown.html

"He (Kedrick Brown) was the guy Phoenix really wanted in the Joe Johnson-Rodney Rogers deal.  As Joe Johnson continues to be relevant in the NBA today, the guy the Celtics picked at #11 behind him, definitely isn't."

Ugh!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I remember how ticked off I was on this draft. I got so used to Boston making poor draft picks that I used to say that the Celtics were going to draft Bette Midler just to fill the seats. (someday I'll go back and read some of my early posts) For years I would look forward to the draft thinking that Boston was finally going to start making smart picks only to be disappointed time and time again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

just tried going back to read some of my early posts, it apparently can't be done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Unless you've archived them on your own hard drive the Fungus34 way ... For "proof" ya know?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to guyfromtex's comment:

[QUOTE]

just tried going back to read some of my early posts, it apparently can't be done.

It can be done.

This forum has 454 pages going all the way back to 2011.

Just find the page.

Apparently the wingnut Mployee is not smart enough to figure that out.

[/QUOTE]
    Been there done that but I too have a life beyond spreading fungus amongst every thread at BDC ... I must put you back on "Ignore" as there's no redeeming factor to carrying on a conversation with you sans an antivirus.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Like I said on the other thread ... don't forget to shut the lights off and don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out!

Later fool .....

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

That's right Johnson was #10 and Kedrick #11 ... for an instant I thought it was the other way around ... and the hype was so great over Brown you'd think he was the second coming of Len Bias. He should have been their 21st pick, then they could have had Johnson, Parker & Kedrick or Forte.

How bout this;    http://www.celticslife.com/2012/10/what-hell-happened-tokedrick-brown.html

"He (Kedrick Brown) was the guy Phoenix really wanted in the Joe Johnson-Rodney Rogers deal.  As Joe Johnson continues to be relevant in the NBA today, the guy the Celtics picked at #11 behind him, definitely isn't."

Ugh!!!

The real killer is Parker was still there when they took Forte....I remember watching that draft and seeing Parker was still there and thinking it would be a good pick because the team needed a point guard.  I'd read alot about Parker playing in France and it seemed like a good chance to take - of course, never in my wildest dreams did I think Parker would be this good!  I remember being surprised by the Forte pick because they had selected Johnson so drafting Forte was redundant.  Funny thing is, everyone was raving about the Forte pick the next day - people thought it was a real steal because he was so good at North Carolina....little did we know he would hardly play and be out of the league in a short time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

Ugh!!!

The real killer is Parker was still there when they took Forte....I remember watching that draft and seeing Parker was still there and thinking it would be a good pick because the team needed a point guard.  I'd read alot about Parker playing in France and it seemed like a good chance to take - of course, never in my wildest dreams did I think Parker would be this good!  I remember being surprised by the Forte pick because they had selected Johnson so drafting Forte was redundant.  Funny thing is, everyone was raving about the Forte pick the next day - people thought it was a real steal because he was so good at North Carolina....little did we know he would hardly play and be out of the league in a short time.

[/QUOTE]

....Forte would barely play in the league and Parker is a future Hall of Famer.....UGH!!!!  It's best not to bring up these subjects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Or, if they had never hired Pitino, who tried to get every former Kentucky player available and made the team a joke after getting rid of Red (that was the dagger in the back), JJ, and CB.  That would be my first "what if".  

Going through the draft's history, there are so many good to great players taken after a number of team passed on them, the Celtics, Lakers, Sixers, and Bulls among them. That's why outside of the top five to seven, everything gets a wee bit iffy.  

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Forte would always have been a bust

That draft should have been Joe Johnson, Troy Murphy and Parker.

That probably doesn't make the C's good enough in '02 to beat the Nets, since they have no need for the Delk/Rogers trade with Murphy/Parker over Forte/Kederick Brown.

So the C's probably lose to the Nets still, have a 1st rd pick again in '02, a TERRIBLE draft with nobody but Tayshaun Prince worth taking in the later round. Hopefully the C's are smart enough to take 2nd rd pick Boozer.

Then even if they don't make the dumb Vin Baker trade and draft smart (Josh Howard and Perk in '03, Tony Allen in '04, David Lee in '05) they likjely have these results:

'02 - lose to Nets in ECF

'03 - lose to Spurs in NBA finals

'04 - lose to Pistons in ECF

'05 - lose to Pistons or Heat in 2nd rd

'06 - lose to Pistons or Heat in 2nd rd

If they were somehow able to add that all-star difference maker big man like KG in the '05-'07 range they would at that point be better off with Joe Johnson and Parker than a young Rondo and older Ray of course.

Could they turn Antoine (or Raef if they still trade him), Boozer or David Lee, Josh Howard, etc into KG or something similar? who knows. That is the only way they win a title.

25. This post has been removed.