WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!

perhaps he will still return in perfect health just in time for the playoffs next year. or perhaps this really is his last ride. we'll see! either way, i always liked shaq. he's the most DOMINANT player i have ever seen. not the best but the most dominant. i would put him first followed by wilt and then jordan. lebron will soon be third on that list but i digress. amongst centers, i have jabbar as first followed by wilt then hakeem, russell and SHAQ. hakeem to me played and dominated against the greatest range and batch of centers in the history of the game almost night after night. he ate shaq for lunch for his first ring, was dominat in all facets of the game, a quadruple-doubdle waiting to happen almost every night and he had the least supporting cast of any player to ever win a championship. bron had the least to ever get there but hakeem had the least to ever win one. there's not one even close to hall of famer or even an all-star on any of the two teams he single-handedly led to the promised land. 

amongst the all-time greats including centers, i have shaq ahead of kobe for he was the alpha dog on those 3 championship teams they shared. kobe was the closer but shaq was the top dog. shaq is 6th all-time, kobe is 7th for now (ahead of both magic, bird, jerry west, tim duncan, oscar robinson, elgin baylor and the likes of dr. j, hondo, karl malone).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!

I think you also started some thread: Ultimately, LJ > MJ.  Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!

I have him ahead of Russell. The order would be Wilt, kareem, Shaq, Olajuwon. That's about it for great centers. At 6'9" Russell would rank as a decent, not great, power forward. Dwight Howard will be there too after he finishes his career with the Lakers, which will give us the four greatest centers of all time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!:
    [QUOTE]I have him ahead of Russell. The order would be Wilt, kareem, Shaq, Olajuwon. That's about it for great centers. At 6'9" Russell would rank as a decent, not great, power forward. Dwight Howard will be there too after he finishes his career with the Lakers, which will give us the four greatest centers of all time.
    Posted by lakersavenger[/QUOTE]

Wilt averaged 50 pts, 26 rebs per game in 1962. Never will be duplicated again.

In 2007, Kobe scored at least 50 points in four games in a row to become the second player in NBA history with such a streak, joining the late Wilt Chamberlain.

Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE!:
    [QUOTE]I have him ahead of Russell. The order would be Wilt, kareem, Shaq, Olajuwon. That's about it for great centers. At 6'9" Russell would rank as a decent, not great, power forward. Dwight Howard will be there too after he finishes his career with the Lakers, which will give us the four greatest centers of all time.
    Posted by lakersavenger[/QUOTE]you have a point. may switch russell and shaq at some point. as time moves on, russ is shrinking. good player with great accomplishments and some great humanitarianism thrown in but based purely on his game, he just does not hold up to the microscope in comparison to the game of others. if not for the rings with all those other great hall of famers he would have a tough time cracking most top 10 lists of all-time centers. guys like moses malone, david robinson, willis reed, mutombo and ewing would be way above him. for now he's top 5. in 10 years, will be out of the top 5 on most lists, and in 30 years, he may be out of the top 10 completely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

shaq has been the most dominant force i ve ever seen inside an nba basketball court, after wilt chamberlain-russel time

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

at their respective top, shaq would eat akeem at breakfast, kareem at lunch and pat ewing + moses malone (togethre) at dinner ; a good dessert would be jb carrol for example

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]at their respective top, shaq would eat akeem at breakfast, kareem at lunch and pat ewing + moses malone (togethre) at dinner ; a good dessert would be jb carrol for example
    Posted by caesarthecat[/QUOTE]

Hakeem abused Shaq in the Finals, and shot much better from the free throw line. Hakeem also played very good defense and was not as foul prone as Shaq, so that is a toss up, but I will give Shaq the benefit of the doubt.

Kareem in his prime, would have had Shaq on the bench in foul trouble early on. And again Kareem could hit free throws at the end of games. Not even close as to who the overall better center is.

The others that you listed are not even close to Shaq, Hakeem, or Kareem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE! : HATEFUL, ignorant comment!!  DH NOT going to the Lakers this or any year - what a bafoon!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    It's buffoon, not bafoon. You Archie Bunkers are a riot!!

HAHAHAHAHA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHERE DOES SHAQ RANK AMONG THE ALL-TIME GREATS? I HAVE HIM 5TH AMONG CENTERS +AHEAD OF KOBE! : It's buffoon, not bafoon. You Archie Bunkers are a riot!! HAHAHAHAHA
    Posted by lakersavenger[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you on russell.  He got all of his rings by playing with a lot of HOFs, but head to head against Wilt, it was not even close.

Wilt averaged 29 pts and 29 rebs against russell head to head.   Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

i said he s been the most "dominant force", not the best center.... i agree akeem and kareem were better player, i think pat ewing also was, but he would dominate them phisically in my opinion
    against akeem he was still too young

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Can you imagine Russell today guarding teams with multiple, mobile 7 footers, giant guards and muscular power forwards. Wilt and Kareem are the only centers, maybe the only players, from the 60's who would still be very dominant today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]Can you imagine Shaq trying to run the floor with Russ?  Can you imagine him trying that little post-up move?  Russ would swat it to the end of the gym, where Cousy would pick it up and lay it in!

LOL - shaq would not have to try any little post up move against russell. He would just post him up, turn and dunk the ball. 

delusional celtic fans are hilarious. Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]Can you imagine Shaq trying to run the floor with Russ?  Can you imagine him trying that little post-up move?  Russ would swat it to the end of the gym, where Cousy would pick it up and lay it in!
    Cousy? Today, he couldn't make D-league. Are you kidding? Set shots and the up and down dribble went out with the twist. He would be schooled by today's bench warmers. And you called be a bafoon?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

If we're talking about domination in the NBA among centers, I don't think anybody even comes close to touching Wilt.  Whoever you want to place second is a very distant second.

If you're talking college ball, then Kareem (Lew Alcindor) runs away with it.

Wilt had some monster college games at kansas but opponents played the 4 corner offense much of the time and froze the ball.... since there was no shot clock, games were extremely low scoring and I think Wilt left after his junior year because of it.

If there was a shot clock back then, Wilt would have averaged incredible stats imo..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

1.) Bill Russell
    * 11 rings (org didn't win until he got there) 
    * 5 MVP's (made teamates HOF's)
    * Avg 24 pts/15 rebs against 7'1" 275 lb. Wilt 

2.) Kareem
    3.) Wilt
    4.) Shaq
    5.) Hakeem

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Had the TV been evented yet when the celtics won championships on a consistent basis? Laughing

Those old celtic teams played when peach baskets were used as the rim. Surprised

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

You also had Shaq returning this year and winning us a ring last year. Hopefully you'll give up the prediction business, this thread is much better. 

As for your list of all time centers: " i have jabbar as first followed by wilt then hakeem, russell and SHAQ"

not bad. I think I'd put Russell ahead of all of them but it's a defensible list on your part. Russell beat Wilt consistently head to head so I think you have to take that into account. 

I'd put Moses Malone next after those you listed, then I think the debates can begin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

According to Russell, himself, Wilt could do Russell's role better than Russell, "Wilt is playing better than I used to -- passing off, coming out to set up screens, picking up guys outside, and sacrificing himself for team play."  (Great Moments in Pro Basketball, by Sam Goldaper, p.24)"

Cool

wfdog, recheck your stats:

In the 142 head to head games, Wilt averaged 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds. Russell averaged 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]According to Russell, himself, Wilt could do Russell's role better than Russell, "Wilt is playing better than I used to -- passing off, coming out to set up screens, picking up guys outside, and sacrificing himself for team play."  ( Great Moments in Pro Basketball , by Sam Goldaper, p.24)" wfdog, recheck your stats: In the 142 head to head games, Wilt averaged 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds. Russell averaged 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

Stat source was suspect, so thanks for the catch. Also, I believe Wilt played better after Russ retired and when he finally started playing team ball under the coaching of former Celtic Bill Sharman towards the end of his career.

More stats...
    6'9" 215 lbs. vs. 7'1" 275 lbs
    5 MVP's vs. 4 MVP's
    12 All-star/13 years vs. 13x All-star/14 years
    First player coach vs. Traded twice

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

the 6-9 215 may be in one of the reference guides...but I saw him and every year the magazines listed him at 6-10 and 220 (one year it was 225).....the 215 might've been his rookie year.....but remember, putting him into today's NBA gives him the same workout regimen, diet, supplements, etc....he would look more like a Dwight Howard.....probably playing around 250 give or take.....that equals 20-30 lbs of muscle...he would still have the great leaping ability and speed....he would certainly be one of the stars.....imagine Kendrick Perkins 30 lbs lighter, same height....then give him Russ' speed and athleticism.....if we had that he'd still be on the team....it is not all about how tall you are or how much you weigh....Pau is listed at 7-0 230....that may have been his rookie weight as well....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I know nutrition, work-out regimens, and even supplements have adavanced way beyond the years of milkshakes & hamburgers in 50's & 60's but I cannot believe that Russ would ever look like DH. He just doesn't have the same frame as Wilt, Shaq, or DH. If anything, he was built similar to Rondo with a strong, sinewy frame and long arms that allowed to play such great D.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Shaq dominated the NBA for 10 solid years and was a force to be reckoned with. Never saw Russell, Wilt the Stilt and only tail end of Kareem career. Each dominated the court when they palyed.  Saw plenty of Hakeem, who was so nimble, having played soccer growing up. Had such a soft touch near the rim.

He is top five, maybe four. But, for the total package Shaq brought a personality unparrelled to none.

I fully enjoyed watching him play, every entertaining, and he will be missed on the court.

However, I'm sure the Nation has not heard the last of the 401K...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In 20 years when people are talking about snaq, he'll be remembered as a great LAKER center. Miami and boston won't be in the mix! Snaq was at his greatest as a Laker but then greed got the better of him and eventually he fell from being dominant to slow, old and a spare part....hence he became a celtic!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6619850

says it all about shaq-foo!