Where would the Celtics be without Garnet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Where would the Celtics be without Garnet?

I don't even want to think about it. Some say hes dirty, others quietly give him the respect he deserves. This guy is definitely a different bird. The kind you won't see for a while. Pierce has gone on record saying, without KG they can't win the title. Its been a pleasure to watch so far, excellence always is.  Lets enjoy it while it lasts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet?

The guy that everybody hates, unless he is on your team. A special talent through out his career. May be the most important cog of the C's machine. Some of his on the court antics have been stupid, in my opinion. They lose more without him than anyone else on the team. That includes Paul and Ray.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

But his game face returned as he matter of factly answered questions about the criticism he’s taken recently. Players and at least one coach have questioned his tactics on the floor. And Spike Lee ripped him for his bad language, saying Garnett “needs to calm the () downexpletive 

You would think that 14 all star games would garner a little more respect!
    I wonder if he played for the knicks, Lee would say the same thing about garnet.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2011_0219kg_lets_guard_down_for_a_day/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

With Garnett the Celtics are a championship caliber team. Without him they are just another playoff team.

Garnett is a throwback to when players played for the love of the game. That is fine with me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Garnett came to the Celtics and suddenly we were the Celtics again.  After wondering if we would ever see that Celtic Pride return. That feeling that woke up your old and lost feelings of the glorious Celtic eras past came back the day Garnett introduced himself to the media and New England.  He is responsible and with coming on the scene the fire for Paul and Ray was lit.

The guy is special make not mistake.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bird said far worse

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Where would the Celtics be without Garnet?:
    [QUOTE]Bird said far worse
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Yes he did.  Remember when he was asked if he thought Laimbeer should be an All-Star?

Announcer- Do you think Bill Laimbeer should make the All-Star team this year?
    Larry - I hope he doesn't
    Announcer - Why not?
    Larry (classic) - Cuz when I get on the bus, he'll say 'Good morning Larry.'  I'll say 'F you Bill', then go and sit down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Garnett earns his paycheck every game.  No one will ever outwork him.

He is thrilled to wear the Celtic uniform and he has given me back a sense of Celtic pride that disappeared after the Bird era.

Is he crazed out on the floor? Does he sometime do things that make me cringe a bit? Does he go over the line sometimes when his emotions get the best of him? Yes... yes.. and yes!

And when he tears at/tugs on/stretches his uniform like a maniac and points to the Celtic logo on the front.... I could not be more proud of him and of the uniform he wears. My head explodes.

KG has always been a Celtic.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

All good posts. I don't know that more great words can be said than what you've said.  Love the guy.   He puts the fire, desire, defense, and teamwork into this team.   He's pretty damned special.

Now, let's go get number 18!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Lets examine the difference between his leaving Minnie and Lebrons  leaving Cleveland. I remember one interview after he lost in the playoffs..and they asked him What now? He said What am I posed to do, Quit? Quit? He said it with utter discust! Even when he finally left,  you knew that it was difficult for him. Lebrons, on the other hand..what a circus.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Agree with all of the posts.  He is the main reason that the Celtics have such a good team again and the reason that we won a championship.  Without him we would be a good team, but probably not able to  compete for a championship every year.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

My second favorite player all-time. After Bird, there is only KG.

Passion, talent, discipline,and drive. Characteristics that both Bird and KG have in common. Their strengths have both left a wide wake in NBA history.

Bird was the natural, with nerves of steel, able to take and make impossible shots, and play consummate Celtic team basketball. While not the greatest athlete, he was perhaps the best player.

KG, 

While many of you did not see him much in Minni, he had guard skills in a 7'1" frame. He could, and did guard everyone. In a year that McGrady won the scoring title, KG held him scoreless for an entire game. While he is not the best clutch shooter, he does rank higher that Kobe in clutch shooting percentage. (not saying much). KG is the Celtic inspiration for team defense, and selfless offense.

The definition for KG in Webster's dictionary could be the the words; never give up, never surrender.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

KG gave us something we hadn't had since Bird retired, a real live tier 1 super star!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

But some people on another thread think that Rondo is the key to it all, not KG.  They are wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Rondo is KG's little brother. Rondo has become the offensive leader, following KG's example.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Where would the Celtics be right now if they didn't have Ray Allen and Paul Pierce?

Would a lineup of Perk, KG, Daniels, Wafer, and Rondo be enough for the Celtics to win an NBA championship?

While KG is the best all around defender today, you're still not going to win a championship without offense, scoring and shooting. I think the more appropriate thing to say is, "Where would the Celtics be without the Big 3?" 

And please, holding Tracy McGrady scoreless did not result in an NBA Finals appearance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

No, But KG's coming to Boston resulted in the biggest turn around in NBA history.
    Bigger than Bird coming to Boston, and bigger than Duncan going to the Spurs.

The Big three, or now big four, all all great players, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The difference that KG brought to the Celtics was leadership. Team focus on defense, and selfless pick your poison offense. His stature before coming to the Celtics, and then his focus on the team, and team play, made the other stars fall in to line. As Pierce said in 2008, KG changed the culture of the Celtics.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Or how about that "look",..
    bordering on psycho, manson like, ..leering,similar to..
    the black panther glaring,warning, ready to defend his territory..
    or the boxer(Liston,Tyson) staring down his opponent.
    winning the fight within the fight...the sneering.gladiator.that
    encapsulates, expresses, for that moment complete contempt,
     for life or limb, and declares...
    "if you choose to continue this, the price will be very high!"
     Gotta love it...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

kinda like this

Kevin Garnett won’t flinch when going head-to-head with opponents such as Channing Frye.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]No, But KG's coming to Boston resulted in the biggest turn around in NBA history. Bigger than Bird coming to Boston, and bigger than Duncan going to the Spurs. The Big three, or now big four, all all great players, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The difference that KG brought to the Celtics was leadership. Team focus on defense, and selfless pick your poison offense. His stature before coming to the Celtics, and then his focus on the team, and team play, made the other stars fall in to line. As Pierce said in 2008, KG changed the culture of the Celtics.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

Stop exaggerating! The biggest turn around in NBA history is not solely because of KG. Don't forget that along with KG another superstar came to Boston. His name is Ray Allen.

Bird turned around the Celtics in the 80s even when McHale and Parish were not superstar players yet. Duncan transformed the Spurs from a David Robinson led playoff contender to a championship team in the late 90s. Is KG the only reason why the Celtics had the biggest turn around in NBA history?

Again, stop bullsh!ting! It's because of the Big 3 that the Celtics won a championship in 21st century. We all know what happened in Minnesota when KG didn't have the Finals MVP of 2008 and the greatest 3-point shooter of all-time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

KG is enormous for the Celtics and without him, we dont win a title. However, the same is probably true for PP and Ray. We lose any of those 3, would be hard to see us winning a title.

We lost KG last season (his return was 50-60%% KG) and we would have won the title if he was the KG of this season. We lost KG the season before too and got knocked out by the Magic.  So theres a clear direct link to the Celtics not winning titles when we dont have KG intact. 

I think the same could be said about PP and Ray. If either was to go down for the season, I dont like our chances anymore of winning #18

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Everyone on this board knows that anything that says Paul Pierce is not the greatest player is going to get your attention, just like most people know that KG is my favorite player.

Pierce is a great player, and so is Allen. It takes great players to make a great team. KG is also a great player.

Sometimes whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The thing that allowed the biggest turn around in NBA history was the stature and leadership that KG brought to the team. With out it, they are an older version of the Miami Heat, great players, but not a great team.

That is not an exageration, that is Paul Pierce's take on what happened.
    Paul said, more than once, that KG changed the entire culture of the Celtic team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Nice post Karl. I agree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Jump, I recall a while back a thread asking who was the most valuable Celtic. Tough question to answer.

My reply was KG for the reasons you just cited. However, you characterized it much better than I saying it was his changing of the culture of this team. His drive and will imposed on the others in practice & games. His team play, so often over looked.

Just watching a couple games of KG on the court, sitting on the bench. It's like a youth wrestlers parent watching their kid wrestle. Their body moves and bends with their kid, they scream out encouragement and yell at the refs too LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Jump, I recall a while back a thread asking who was the most valuable Celtic. Tough question to answer. My reply was KG for the reasons you just cited. However, you characterized it much better than I saying it was his changing of the culture of this team. His drive and will imposed on the others in practice & games. His team play, so often over looked. Just watching a couple games of KG on the court, sitting on the bench. It's like a youth wrestlers parent watching their kid wrestle. Their body moves and bends with their kid, they scream out encouragement and yell at the refs too LOL
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I would bet the farm that if asked the team MVP, every Celtic player except KG would agree that KG was team MVP.

No question about it.

Even injured, his intensity is still felt in practice and on the court.

KG.... "burns so bright..." as Mike Groman likes to say.

Pud