Which NBA Championship Team with Players in their Prime Is The Greatest?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Which NBA Championship Team with Players in their Prime Is The Greatest?

Let's limit it to post MJ era, On each championship team, if every player on the roster were in their prime year, which would be the greatest team?

I do not have an answer, but I would love to see how KG, PP, RR, RA and KP in their ultimate primes would face up against the Heat, Lakers, Spurs and Maverick teams in their primes.

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Which NBA Championship Team with Players in their Prime Is The Greatest?

PlayerGPREBASTSTLBLKPTSAVG Larry Bird 82 805 557 166 51 2115 25.8 Kevin McHale 68 551 181 29 164 1448 21.3 Robert Parish 81 770 145 65 116 1305 16.1 Dennis Johnson 78 268 456 110 35 1213 15.6 Danny Ainge 80 235 405 94 7 855 10.7 Scott Wedman 79 192 82 38 22 634 8.0 Bill Walton 80 544 165 38 106 606 7.6 Jerry Sichting 82 104 188 50 0 537 6.5 David Thirdkill 49 70 15 11 3 163 3.3 Sam Vincent 57 48 69 17 4 184 3.2 Sly Williams 6 15 2 1 1 17 2.8 Rick Carlisle 77 77 104 19 4 199 2.6 Greg Kite 64 128 17 3 28 83 1.3

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%80%9386_Boston_Celtics_season

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Celtics and Lakers in the 80's and the Bulls in the 90's.

A three way tie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Since you said post Jordan . I say the 2001 Lakers are the best

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Houston put a pretty good has-been team together post Jordan.  the celtics with Shaquille an obvious choice.

the 2001 lakers don't completely make sense, as they were mostly in their prime.  That Portland team would have beaten them badly if sabonis had been his old self. 

i will be checking for answers that really address the question.

for the record, IMO the greatest team of my viewing life was the Phili team that won.  If all those ABA guys on that team were in their prime that team would be really insane.  why limit to post Jordan?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

Houston put a pretty good has-been team together post Jordan.  the celtics with Shaquille an obvious choice.

the 2001 lakers don't completely make sense, as they were mostly in their prime.  That Portland team would have beaten them badly if sabonis had been his old self. 

for the record, IMO the greatest team of my viewing life was the Phili team that won.  If all those ABA guys on that team were in their prime that team would be really insane.  why limit to post Jordan?  

absolutely true!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

The orignal post was  Let's limit it to post MJ era, On each championship team, if every player on the roster were in their prime year, which would be the greatest team?

Thats why i said the 2001 Lakers. They went 15-1 in the playoffs .And Portland was not a championship team

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Interesting question. Question I have is if the players were in their prime could they have been mentally prepared to make the sacrifices needed to win the NBA championship.

The Lakers of 2001 fall to the Heat team of 2006.

Bryant and Wade is a real battle. Shaq cancels himself out. But the Heat have Mourning and Payton on the team. I think the bigs from Miami are a true advantage. 

Lakers have Isiah Rider who would be trouble at the best of times.

But the best would be the 2002-2003 Spurs. Those players have always left their egos at the door. Robinson in his prime, Duncan, Manu, Parker. Plus you have Kevin Willis, Steve Smith, Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry. Also Bruce Bowen is in the mix.

So I think the Spurs win against anyone. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Celtics never had Shaq in their Championship team though. 2008 qualifies. Still a decent enough team with KG, Pierce and Allen. However I see Shaq and Robinson destroying Perk.

Still can't see them beating the 02/03 spurs in their prime. 

Garnett/Duncan the major match up IMO.
    Pierce beats Bowen.

But the Celtics can't answer Robinson or Parker. Plus when Duncan needs a rest the Spurs bring on Kevin Willis who I don't think anyone off the Celtics Bench from 07/08 could guard. 

Steve Smith and Steve Kerr vs Posey and House for their shooting. Steve Smith would be the guy I'd take in his prime out of those four.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

Interesting question. Question I have is if the players were in their prime could they have been mentally prepared to make the sacrifices needed to win the NBA championship.

The Lakers of 2001 fall to the Heat team of 2006.

Bryant and Wade is a real battle. Shaq cancels himself out. But the Heat have Mourning and Payton on the team. I think the bigs from Miami are a true advantage. 

Lakers have Isiah Rider who would be trouble at the best of times.

But the best would be the 2002-2003 Spurs. Those players have always left their egos at the door. Robinson in his prime, Duncan, Manu, Parker. Plus you have Kevin Willis, Steve Smith, Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry. Also Bruce Bowen is in the mix.

So I think the Spurs win against anyone. 

Bingo! I think you're right. But it would be really close to the Lakers prime. I still think Celtics in their prime would be OK. The weakness would be Perk, but Perk in his prime could defend Shaq, and would be a 5th option on offense. I wouldn't put money on them, but I am really curious to see how they stack up. I think KG was past his prime joining the Celtics. Paul's prime probably was 2008, Ray may have been past his peak. Rondo was still a baby. Cassell was past. If Shaq was on that team, it'd be the favorite, but 2010 does not count.

Also, go ahead and go back before Jordan. I put the limit because I am young and I don't know enough about that era to evaluate those teams in comparison to today's players.

Funny how nobody mentioned the 2012 Miami Heat ...