WHO GOT DRAFTED BY THE RIGHT TEAM TO SHINE?
posted at 6/25/2011 11:41 AM EDT
jimmer is the PERFECT example of a player hooking uo with the right team. i do see him as another eddie house, jj reddick, michael beasley type when they were coming out of college or being drafted. can score against anyone but not really suited for any one position and anyone can score against them. if not hot or scoring, they are generally useless or hurting their teams. i can think of 20 teams that jimmer would have tal bust at, 10 where he would have been average at best and 2 where he could have the best shot at immediate success.
fortunately for him, he hit on one of those two teams in sacremento with the perfect coach in paul westphal. the other team would be the suns. the knicks not so much. d'antoni has too much pressure to win immediately and he's already too impulsive with his rotations. could see jimmer quickly running out of flavor there. with the queens, first its about selling tics and being relevant. sportscenter will feature the kings almost every night if the jimmer is playing. like the rest of "white" america, they want to see him succeeding and are willing to only emphasize his strengths as with tim tebow.
corporate america wants him playing and will give him major sponsorship deals. you can bet that he will be all over TV during the season and being right up there with peyton manning as a top pitchman. kings sold more tickets on friday than at any time all of last year. jimmer the name trumps jimmer the game!
on the court, i look for him to start IMMEDIATELY. along with the rest of their youthful guys, scoring will be no problem. they are going to be right up there with the 7seconds or bust offense of the old suns with nash in his prime or with westphal everywhere else he has ever been. ultimately, they will be LOSERS for noone can win with an undersized team that hates playing defense. bottom line the goal is not about winning so its a perfect match as long as the fans come and they get enough buzz to justify staying in sacremento. in 2 or 3 years, they will be battling to almost make the playoffs and almost make the second round (the ceiling, with a westphal team).
jimmer should put up monster offensive numbers and be in the conversation for rook of the year. good match! jimmer the name will showcase jimmer the game! good match!
2. another great match is jan vesley who was picked in first to washington. with wall and their scheme he will be the euro-white version of blake griffin. i dont believe the nba has ever seen something like that. he's a tough guy high flier with serious swagger who may win next season's slam dunk contest and rook of the year award. he's the anti-jimmer, has the game without the name! plus he's also a macho scorer off the court, if you know what i mean (highlight of the entire draft): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rirsA8YaMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zlB5w08_Es&feature=related
wiz better not pick up delonte west. then again rashard lewis will soon be releasing statements like: i did not sleep with jan's gal, and i will not be making her bark like a dog and i did not have her sneak over to my hotel room.
3. kyrie irving and cavs. they need a PG who can pass-first. should work out. i look for the cavs to make a playoff push but fall just a bit short. they have a few proven vets returning with some freakish athletic young guys in the mix. their 4th pick tristan thompson loves to run the break and will have lots of opportunity to do so with irving out there. cavs will be able to both run and slow it down with their vets and play better defense. outside shooting may still be an issue with only daniel gibson who can consistently do it.
4. I like brandon knight with the pistons. he's a dumars clone and joe can help with his development. in time, he will be the man.
5. enis katner and jazz. they already have a turkish center in okur. will help him get acclimated better as he comes off the bench in a relaxed way. utah should have a very good team with perhaps the best set of big men in the league right now.
6. klay thompson and warriors. with mark jackson as his coach and his dad being a pro's pro as a player with the lakes and blazers, this kid should have no problem making the adjustment to the pros at a high level.
1. derrick williams and minny. another guy with no clear position at a position with no clear role for anyone on a team with no clear position on a coach or scheme. they already have beasley and love who both should be coming off the bench as neither is great at the position they start at in terms of defense or the post on offense against elite defenders. d-will will play at the 3 bit most experts say he's a better 4. too much doubt for a guy you pick #2.
2. jajuan johnson and celts. JJ is a good player, just not with the celts at least not next year. we are a team that NEVER plays its rooks and even then, its an afterthought with hopes of trading them for a second the following year. barring injury, i dont see him playing much. we are going to get and stay old throughout next year with it being the last year for the big 3 to get a ring. we may sign kurt thomas or bring back scal before we let this kid get a run.
3. BOBCATS and anyone.. what is MJ smoking? Lebron James will ULTIMATELY be a better GM, how's that? bizmarkie or whatever the guy's name is wasnt good enough to dominate the YEMEN basketball association, not exactly the hotbed of the sport. kendrick jabbar perkins is wilt compared to this guy. hornets already have the immortal kwame brown as a starter. they needed a sure thing not another project who will be thrown to the wolves way too quickly. this kid is listed as 18 (in dominican years). kemba walker is ben gordon. not bad but he's not going to transform your franchise. too many questions. there were much better options all around.