Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?

1. Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Center
    2. Tim Duncan, Power Forward
    3. Larry Bird, Small Forward 
    4. Michael Jordan, Shooting Guard
    5. Magic Johnson, Point Guard

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?

You could probably come up with 20 teams with different combinations and they'd all be great.

Mine's 80% the same as yours. I have to drop Kareem for Russell though.

Russell
    Duncan
    Bird
    Jordan
    Magic

Really is apples and oranges though. I'll put Russell in only because that he's an absolute champion. Although Kareem doesn't miss out making the team by much.

I'd almost dare say that the guards and small forward positions are almost unarguable for Magic, Jordan and the Big Bird.

Duncan for mine is just a total champion, easily the dominant player in the West in recent times who has not worn a Lakers uniform.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Impossible to make a top 5, both of the ones up above are good, no argument from me.

Id maybe cover my bases though and go with (in this order):

Russell, Wilt, Kareem

Duncan, Baylor, Malone

Bird, Barkley, Dr J, Hondo

Magic, MJ, West, Big O, Isiah, Stockton, Tiny

Yup, Im going with Magic over MJ, just the way I see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

good lists.....it really is hard to argue against many combinations.....I was looking at the NBA Top 50 list and, just for fun, I tried to put together a first and second unit based on the decades they played.....I was not able to get two complete units for the '50's or the '90's...not enough guys from the '50's on the list....some players overlapped....in the case of even talent (IMO) I chose the player who played the most years in the decade....only 7 players did not make any of my squads for one reason or another...

Dave Bing
    Patrick Ewing
    Willis Reed
    David Robinson
    Nate Thurmond
    Wes Unseld
    Bill Walton

.....and as much as I love Walton, based on his NBA career, I can't believe he even made the list.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?:
    [QUOTE]Impossible to make a top 5, both of the ones up above are good, no argument from me. Id maybe cover my bases though and go with (in this order): Russell, Wilt, Kareem Duncan, Baylor, Malone Bird, Barkley, Dr J, Hondo Magic, MJ, West, Big O, Isiah, Stockton, Tiny Yup, Im going with Magic over MJ, just the way I see it.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

You do realize your going to play without a SG.

But for me:
    C- Wilt/Russell
    PF-Duncan/Malone
    SF-LBJ/Bird
    SG-MJ/Kobe
    PG-Magic/Stockton

I put LeBron and Kobe in there because at the end of their career they will both be in top 10. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Center, Wilt, sorry Russ, no one be

Center, Wilt, most dominant player to ever play the game!

Power forward, i'm taking Kevin McHale, offensively, and defensively, whose better?

Small forward, Bird, i don't see how anyone else could even get a vote!!

Shooting Guard, MJ, same thing as i said about Bird!!

Point guard, Oscar Robertson, could do everything Magic could do and more!                                                                                                          

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

No shooting guard?   .......Hondo and Jordan were great shooters.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Wilt was great..... out of this world stats....but there is a reason Russ led his teams to back to back NCAA titles.....the US to a Gold Medal.....and took the Celtics to the NBA Finals 12 times in 13 years....it isn't a coincidenc that he won 14 overall championships over his 15 years of organized basketball.....Wilt won.....twice?   .....if you want a winning team the decision isn't even close.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?:
    [QUOTE]Wilt was great..... out of this world stats....but there is a reason Russ led his teams to back to back NCAA titles.....the US to a Gold Medal.....and took the Celtics to the NBA Finals 12 times in 13 years....it isn't a coincidenc that he won 14 overall championships over his 15 years of organized basketball.....Wilt won.....twice?   .....if you want a winning team the decision isn't even close.....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke Snider, was a great player, who was in a lot of world series, but he wasn't Willie Mays.  There was a reason, they called them Willie, Mickey, and the Duke!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Duke

How many rings do you think Russ would have if he had played his entire NBA career with the N Y Knicks? I realize that its a question that can't really be answered but raises the question as to how much of a factor his Hall Of Fame teamates were in achieving the 11 rings.

SeemsToMe

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Duke Snider was my hero growing up....Hence, Duke 4.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

OK, I do get your point....in order to explain why I think that Russ brought something special, please allow me to outline some thoughts

first, Russ led USF to back to back, undefeated seasons....I believe the only teammate who went on to play in the NBA was KC Jones...before he arrived and after he left the program was not a powehouse...

then he joined the Celtics.....they were always good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to make the finals....along came Russ and Heinson and the Celtics went to the Finals 12 times in the next 13 years...the only time they lost was when Russ was injured against the Hawks...

over the years, so many of the greats left.....in no particular order were Sharman, Ramsey, Cousy, Heinson, KC....the Celtics were able to replace them with other players but Russell remained the constant....

The team got older and finally couldn't keep up with the powerfull Sixers, led by Wilt....they lost in the Eastern Conference Finals and the Sixers were anointed as the new powerhouse after they dismantled the Warriors.....I will never forget listening to the radio and hearing the Philly crowd chanting over and over...as the final game became a mismatch........."hey Red.....your old men are dead".....I had to hear it from all of my buddies who hated the Celtics and I had to read about it all offseason

then a funny thing happened.....the "old men" came back and beat Philly the next year and went on to defeat the Lakers once again....a lot of people called it a fluke.....Wilt was so frustrated he got himself traded to the Lakers of Baylor and West....

the following year the old Celts were a tired bunch.....they played .500 ball but made it to the playoffs....on their way, they beat the younger and favored Knicks, a series that included the first ever prime time telecast of an NBA playoff game....they ended up once again meeting the Lakers in the Finals....they were huge underdogs.....and they won game 7 in Jack Kent Cooke's "Fabulous Forum".....

Russ and Sam retired after the series.....the Celtic core remained and they added a great young guard named Jo Jo White.....the team had it's first losing season in close to 20 years...

throughout all of this the Celtic motto was......."the spokes change but the wheel just keeps on turning".....Russell was the strongest of those strokes....to quote Reggie Jackson.....he was truly the straw that stirred the drink....

That is why I think Russ could've changed a team like the Knicks....he was not only a great and talented athlete....he was the smartest man who ever played....he simply knew how to win and made everyone around him better....

at least that is my opinion...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Duke How many rings do you think Russ would have if he had played his entire NBA career with the N Y Knicks? I realize that its a question that can't really be answered but raises the question as to how much of a factor his Hall Of Fame teamates were in achieving the 11 rings. SeemsToMe
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]

You got it mixed up. A good many of the  HOF teammates of Russell teams wouldnt have been HOFers if Russell wasnt on their team. Guys like KC...if he played on the Knicks, nobody would remember the guy. Same goes for many of the rest. Playing with Russ on championships teams makes your rep.

Nobody knows how many titles the Knicks win if Russ was there but I bet you one thing. Russ would still be in the HOF. 

As dominating a player Wilt was, who also played with his fair share of stand-on-their-own HOF players, Russell teams owned him.

It wasnt was Russ better than Wilt... it was Russ that stopped their team, disrupted their offense like no other before or since. You cant count statisically how many points Russ was responsible for, both on offense and defense. Hes the greatest bball player of all time, not even close imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right on Karl......great points man...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

I think the better question to ask in the Wilt/Russ debate is: would the Celtics have won 11 banners in 13 seasons with Wilt rather than Russell at the pivot?

I'd guess: "no."

The accomplishments of the Bill Russell-era Boston Celtics were truly staggering.

While I have no doubt the Celtics would have won multiple banners with Wilt instead of Russ -- maybe even seven or eight -- I seriously doubt they'd have won eleven. Russell's key attributes -- his psychological toughness, his defensive ferocity, his brilliant outlet passing, his overall leadership qualities -- were THE main reason the Celtics of that era were so utterly dominant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I do get your point....in order to explain why I think that Russ brought something special, please allow me to outline some thoughts first, Russ led USF to back to back, undefeated seasons....I believe the only teammate who went on to play in the NBA was KC Jones...before he arrived and after he left the program was not a powehouse... then he joined the Celtics.....they were always good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to make the finals....along came Russ and Heinson and the Celtics went to the Finals 12 times in the next 13 years...the only time they lost was when Russ was injured against the Hawks... over the years, so many of the greats left.....in no particular order were Sharman, Ramsey, Cousy, Heinson, KC....the Celtics were able to replace them with other players but Russell remained the constant.... The team got older and finally couldn't keep up with the powerfull Sixers, led by Wilt....they lost in the Eastern Conference Finals and the Sixers were anointed as the new powerhouse after they dismantled the Warriors.....I will never forget listening to the radio and hearing the Philly crowd chanting over and over...as the final game became a mismatch........."hey Red.....your old men are dead".....I had to hear it from all of my buddies who hated the Celtics and I had to read about it all offseason then a funny thing happened.....the "old men" came back and beat Philly the next year and went on to defeat the Lakers once again....a lot of people called it a fluke.....Wilt was so frustrated he got himself traded to the Lakers of Baylor and West.... the following year the old Celts were a tired bunch.....they played .500 ball but made it to the playoffs....on their way, they beat the younger and favored Knicks, a series that included the first ever prime time telecast of an NBA playoff game....they ended up once again meeting the Lakers in the Finals....they were huge underdogs.....and they won game 7 in Jack Kent Cooke's "Fabulous Forum"..... Russ and Sam retired after the series.....the Celtic core remained and they added a great young guard named Jo Jo White.....the team had it's first losing season in close to 20 years... throughout all of this the Celtic motto was......."the spokes change but the wheel just keeps on turning".....Russell was the strongest of those strokes....to quote Reggie Jackson.....he was truly the straw that stirred the drink.... That is why I think Russ could've changed a team like the Knicks....he was not only a great and talented athlete....he was the smartest man who ever played....he simply knew how to win and made everyone around him better.... at least that is my opinion...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I do get your point....in order to explain why I think that Russ brought something special, please allow me to outline some thoughts first, Russ led USF to back to back, undefeated seasons....I believe the only teammate who went on to play in the NBA was KC Jones...before he arrived and after he left the program was not a powehouse... then he joined the Celtics.....they were always good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to make the finals....along came Russ and Heinson and the Celtics went to the Finals 12 times in the next 13 years...the only time they lost was when Russ was injured against the Hawks... over the years, so many of the greats left.....in no particular order were Sharman, Ramsey, Cousy, Heinson, KC....the Celtics were able to replace them with other players but Russell remained the constant.... The team got older and finally couldn't keep up with the powerfull Sixers, led by Wilt....they lost in the Eastern Conference Finals and the Sixers were anointed as the new powerhouse after they dismantled the Warriors.....I will never forget listening to the radio and hearing the Philly crowd chanting over and over...as the final game became a mismatch........."hey Red.....your old men are dead".....I had to hear it from all of my buddies who hated the Celtics and I had to read about it all offseason then a funny thing happened.....the "old men" came back and beat Philly the next year and went on to defeat the Lakers once again....a lot of people called it a fluke.....Wilt was so frustrated he got himself traded to the Lakers of Baylor and West.... the following year the old Celts were a tired bunch.....they played .500 ball but made it to the playoffs....on their way, they beat the younger and favored Knicks, a series that included the first ever prime time telecast of an NBA playoff game....they ended up once again meeting the Lakers in the Finals....they were huge underdogs.....and they won game 7 in Jack Kent Cooke's "Fabulous Forum"..... Russ and Sam retired after the series.....the Celtic core remained and they added a great young guard named Jo Jo White.....the team had it's first losing season in close to 20 years... throughout all of this the Celtic motto was......."the spokes change but the wheel just keeps on turning".....Russell was the strongest of those strokes....to quote Reggie Jackson.....he was truly the straw that stirred the drink.... That is why I think Russ could've changed a team like the Knicks....he was not only a great and talented athlete....he was the smartest man who ever played....he simply knew how to win and made everyone around him better.... at least that is my opinion...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]
     11 titles in 13 years, like you said the Hawks beat them when Russell was hurt, and in, i thinkit was 66 wilt and Philly beat them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

yep......12 trips to the finals in 13 years.....then, after a brief down year they were contenders again....2 more titles over the next 6 years and an injury or two from another 1-2 trips to the finals....20 year span.....14 finals appearances.....only missed the playoffs once......talk about dominance

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history? : You do realize your going to play without a SG. But for me: C- Wilt/Russell PF-Duncan/Malone SF-LBJ/Bird SG-MJ/Kobe PG-Magic/Stockton I put LeBron and Kobe in there because at the end of their career they will both be in top 10. 
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

maine, I know youre giving an opinion BUT how can you place LBJ in the same sentence with Larry Bird or even many of the other forwards??  Lebron, even with the enormous assistance of the NBA & its refs, still doesnt make a dent into the "greats list" imo.

To each his own I guess

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Wilt - C
    Malone - PF
    Elgin Baylor - SF
    MJ - SG
    Oscar Robinson - PG
    other first team:  Magic - Kobe - Bird - Duncan - Russel

Best NBA Talent at their peak (careers cut short)

Walton - C
    Marvin Barnes - PF
    Bernard King - SF 
    Pete Maravich -SG
    Penny Hardaway - PG
    6th man - Grant Hill (led league in all star votes as rookie and more votes than MJ in his 2nd year!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....good list but.....Kobe?  .....great but not in this mix....Marvin Barnes?  .....I'm interested in your thoughts on him.....and while we're at it....we need to bring in the list of greatest ABA players....I would start with Mel Daniels....and I'd add in guys like George McGinnis...Artis Gilmore....Willie Wise.....man, there was a ton of talent in that league....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Wilt - C Malone - PF Elgin Baylor - SF MJ - SG Oscar Robinson - PG other first team:  Magic - Kobe - Bird - Duncan - Russel Best NBA Talent at their peak (careers cut short) Walton - C Marvin Barnes - PF Bernard King - SF  Pete Maravich -SG Penny Hardaway - PG 6th man - Grant Hill (led league in all star votes as rookie and more votes than MJ in his 2nd year!)
    Posted by Eldunker[/QUOTE]

Eldunker, I love that second category of yours.. careers cut short.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well....I'd start with Len Bias and Reggie Lewis.....and of course Greg Oden....Sam Bowie...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

In Response to Who were the top 5 players by position in the NBA's history?:
    [QUOTE]1. Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Center 2. Tim Duncan, Power Forward 3. Larry Bird, Small Forward  4. Michael Jordan, Shooting Guard 5. Magic Johnson, Point Guard
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

I guess I misunderstood the question. To me the question was "the five best players at each position" in NBA history.

Center:
    Russell
    Chamberlain
    Jabbar
    Walton
    Olajuwan

Guard:
    Jordan
    Johnson
    Robertson
    Bryant
    West

Forward:
    Bird
    Erving
    Baylor
    Duncan
    Barry R.

Honorable Mention: John Havlicek

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

nice list, walton. champions all, excepting baylor, who had multiple opportunities. lost as a player, lost as a coach, lost as a gm. loser. why not switch places w/ consummate winner havlicek?