Who's better Ainge or Kupchak?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Re: Who's better Ainge or Kupchak?

How can any good Celtic fan even ask such a dumb question? Kupchack inherited Shaq and Kobe,and a chcampionship caliber roster.

Ainge inherited Pierce and Walker,and a flawed team that had maxed out.

Kupchack has the advantage of players wanting to play in Hollywood.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Boston is not a great destination for free agents....why live in a cold weather town when you have the beautiful weather elsewhere?  .....LA offers the Hollywood crowd and Miami has South Beach.....Orlando has all kinds of attractions as well....then there is the tax benefits Florida offers....Sadly, Beantown can only offer the great history of it's sports' franchises....and great culture....truly a wonderful city.....but these guys want the money, the jewelry, whatever.....I don't think a lot of them are even aware of the history of their game....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from VinniePapaGiorgio. Show VinniePapaGiorgio's posts

Quick question. I know that people are getting on Mitch because he was pretty much given Gasol by his ex-buddy West, but wasn't the Celtics-Minnesota trade the same exact thing? I mean, an ex-Celtic (McHale) traded his best player (Garnett) to his good friend Ainge, how is that any different than what Kupchak did?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

The difference is the Lakers traded nothing of any value besides Kwame's contract ......the Celtics traded their best player in "Big Al Jefferson".....they also traded Ryan Gomes who has played a lot....Minny knew they had to eventually trade KG....so they got a younger big and several pieces.....it's really not an apples to apples comparison...don't get me wrong....if I'm a Laker fan I love it...and as a Celtic fan I couldn't believe it when I saw that trade on ESPN...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Who's better Ainge or Kupchak?:
    [QUOTE]Quick question. I know that people are getting on Mitch because he was pretty much given Gasol by his ex-buddy West, but wasn't the Celtics-Minnesota trade the same exact thing? I mean, an ex-Celtic (McHale) traded his best player (Garnett) to his good friend Ainge, how is that any different than what Kupchak did?
    Posted by VinniePapaGiorgio[/QUOTE]

1.  Gasol was traded DURING the season to a team that was already good.

2.  KG was traded in the off-season to a horrible team.

3.  Gasol was traded for an unknown 2nd round pick with no NBA experience ( his brother), Kwame Brown, and a retired Assistant Coach from another team (McKie).

4.  KG was traded FIVE for one, including 2 #1 picks.  Four of the guys are still in the league.  And one, Jefferson, is a 20/10 player who will dominate this year in Utah. 

5. The lakers are still upset because Odom and Bynum wasn't good enough?  That was the trade Kupchak was offering, and it would have crippled your franchise.  Be thankful for small favors.    Chicago allegedly had a better offer for Gasol on the table ( don't know what it was), but the Griz went with the lakers offer.

We thank MN for KG, but it was a bit much, wouldn't you agree?
    While, getting Gasol didn't really hurt the lakers that much, wouldn't you agree?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I have to clarify a statement from my earlier post....I said Boston traded their best player in Big Al....of course, Pierce was the best player.....Al was the best young starter we had.....and he is a 20/10 kinda guy....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VinniePapaGiorgio. Show VinniePapaGiorgio's posts

Actually Gasol was traded for two 1st round picks (in 2008 they picked Donta Green and in 2010 they picked Greivies Vasquez), Marc Gasol (who is a pretty good player), Kwame (who is plain garbage), Javaris Crittenton (the knucklehead who brought a gun to a gun fight with Gilbert Arenas) and McKie. Thats nowhere near the talent level that Boston gave up to acquire KG, but at the time Pau Gasol was nowhere near the talent as KG. Still, for Memphis to trade Gasol and not at least get Odom or Bynum in return was a travesty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]Actually Gasol was traded for two 1st round picks (in 2008 they picked Donta Green and in 2010 they picked Greivies Vasquez), Marc Gasol (who is a pretty good player), Kwame (who is plain garbage), Javaris Crittenton (the knucklehead who brought a gun to a gun fight with Gilbert Arenas) and McKie. Thats nowhere near the talent level that Boston gave up to acquire KG, but at the time Pau Gasol was nowhere near the talent as KG. Still, for Memphis to trade Gasol and not at least get Odom or Bynum in return was a travesty.

EXACTLY the point - it was a travesty, thank you for admitting that.  And, Gasol was a #3 pick overall and one of the best players in the world.  Lastly, if Bynum didn't get hurt, this trade wouldn't have happened in the first place.  The trade was not even discussed until Bynum was hurt.  True, they thought he might make it back for the playoffs, but I think the lakers FO knew it was a very serious injury, and so they had to go and get Gasol.  Good for them, it was a great deal, it is just one of those things that we can point to as gift-wrapped!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobheckler. Show bobheckler's posts

[QUOTE]Actually Gasol was traded for two 1st round picks (in 2008 they picked Donta Green and in 2010 they picked Greivies Vasquez), Marc Gasol (who is a pretty good player), Kwame (who is plain garbage), Javaris Crittenton (the knucklehead who brought a gun to a gun fight with Gilbert Arenas) and McKie. Thats nowhere near the talent level that Boston gave up to acquire KG, but at the time Pau Gasol was nowhere near the talent as KG. Still, for Memphis to trade Gasol and not at least get Odom or Bynum in return was a travesty.

vinnie,

We gave up Al Jefferson, who is now chronically injured and not the same player.
    Ryan Gomes, a nice player, but a tweener that wouldn't start on a good team.
    Sebastian Telfair, garbage.
    Gerald Green, see Telfair above.
    Theo Ratliff, a player way past his prime then and now a Laker 3 years later.
    2 first round picks, I don't know who those picks turned into, but Minny still bad.

In exchange, we got the next year's DPOY and a ring.

I'm thinking we got a steal.

bob